How can you people stand the parks in the summer?

MissM

Why do you assume I was afraid to ask the question because I thought it was obscene?;)
Well, given someone else thought it was an a-hole, and apparently there's been debate going on as to what it meant, I could only assume that people were afraid to ask because they really didn't want to know. Most people are more than willing to ask a question unless the answer is going to bother them in some way.

*shrugs*

It's just weird to think that three characters in my signature prompted such confusion! :lol:
-m

Number_6

CHILL PEOPLE.

Here's a clue. This: :lol: and this: :D indicate a lack of seriousness. No, I won't go in the summer. It's too darn hot and miserable. But the tone of the post was being silly.

Stop being so cranky and jumping on people when you don't understand what they wrote, mkay? :rolleyes:
-m

Given the placement of them, it looked more like you were laughing at people that would go in the summer and making fun of the "tourists." And having the smiley at the end rather than something like this: :animwink: Makes it look like you are happy with yourself for being so smart. I apologize for making this error, but it really did look more like that than it did you were joking around with people. And since I'm not the only one that viewed it that way, you may want to watch how you word things in the future as well, just to reduce the possibility of confusion. At the same time, I will try to think if there are three other ways that someone's post could be interpreted(silly, snarky, totally rude) and try to discern based on the poster's past history which one it might be.

MissM

you may want to watch how you word things in the future as well, just to reduce the possibility of confusion. At the same time, I will try to think if there are three other ways that someone's post could be interpreted(silly, snarky, totally rude) and try to discern based on the poster's past history which one it might be.
No, people just need to stop being so cranky around here. WDWMagic scares off more newbies than any other board I've ever seen because of the tendency to bark and bite immediately. Post in the wrong place? BARK! Ask a question that's already been asked? BITE! Let's not even get into how many long-time members finally gave up and left because of the angry mob mentality that runs rampant around here!

There are many posts in this thread about how people hate the weather where they live, and yet no one has snarkily told them they should move if they don't like it. Because clearly, it's not as simple as all that. I may hate Florida's summers but my mom, sister and 91 year old grandmother live here, not to mention Love's family. It's not so easy to "just move." The fact that people get so defensive, they have to gang up and attack a statement but ignore the other side of the coin really baffles me. You'll notice no one told the people who complained about the snow, ice, or rain they should just basically shut up and move if they don't like it.

It's just words on a screen. If it gets someone that upset, or that one takes it so personally that they feel threatened or attacked, perhaps there are bigger issues they need to take care of first. Scroll past. Move on. Save your blood pressure the aggravation.
-m

Number_6

You'll notice no one told the people who complained about the snow, ice, or rain they should just basically shut up and move if they don't like it.

That's because none of them made a comment that, no matter how it was intended, came across sounding like you were better than the people from out of the state. Nothing that they said sounded like "I'm so smart for living here and being able to go whenever I want. The rest of you that are out-of-staters are idiots for coming down in the middle of summer when it's hot." Now, I've already apologized for the misunderstanding, which you left out when quoting me. And from your post I understand that you have family there and that's the reason you stay in Florida. All I was doing in my last post was offering constructive criticism on why it was misinterpreted from my point of view and help you to understand why people got defensive about it. I'm sorry if you took it as anything else.

In closing, as a former CM, I'd like to take this opportunity to say "Have A Magical Day!"

DDuckFan130

No, people just need to stop being so cranky around here. WDWMagic scares off more newbies than any other board I've ever seen because of the tendency to bark and bite immediately. Post in the wrong place? BARK! Ask a question that's already been asked? BITE! Let's not even get into how many long-time members finally gave up and left because of the angry mob mentality that runs rampant around here!

There are many posts in this thread about how people hate the weather where they live, and yet no one has snarkily told them they should move if they don't like it. Because clearly, it's not as simple as all that. I may hate Florida's summers but my mom, sister and 91 year old grandmother live here, not to mention Love's family. It's not so easy to "just move." The fact that people get so defensive, they have to gang up and attack a statement but ignore the other side of the coin really baffles me. You'll notice no one told the people who complained about the snow, ice, or rain they should just basically shut up and move if they don't like it.

It's just words on a screen. If it gets someone that upset, or that one takes it so personally that they feel threatened or attacked, perhaps there are bigger issues they need to take care of first. Scroll past. Move on. Save your blood pressure the aggravation.
-m
I agree with your post actually. It's always a double-edged sword as far as what one can post. If you start a new thread, bad. If you resurrect an old thread, bad. So yeah, I see your point.

I guess people took offense to you saying that only idiots go in the summertime, but if you intended it as a joke, hell I've said it myself too :lol: But there are reasons behind it, and unfortunately, I'll have to be one of the "idiots" soon :cry: :lookaroun

lunalovegoddess

I don't mind going in the summer...
I have lived in both a warmer climate and a colder one, and have visited the parks during different parts of the year. The summer doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I just keep hydrated and take advantage of cool-down attractions when the sun is strongest. (I tend to sunburn easily.) Most of the time when I stay at a hotel, I go to the parks in the morning, grab lunch, and head back to the hotel for rest and a swim. I have a game plan of what attractions I want most to see, or haven't seen on my last trip, and I focus on those. There's always next trip...

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Wow. Um, not even close.

To be honest, I'm completely baffled by that thought. It's an ASCII text version of a waxing crescent moon / full moon / waning crescent moon.

Like this:
triple-goddess.png

The moon has long been associated with women and this symbol, thusly, is associated with the three aspects of the Goddess: Maid, Mother and Crone. It's a symbol of the Divine Feminine.

There's nothing "dirty" intended, nor was it ever meant to be viewed as some sort of joke or slight. Just a simple way of expressing something that's important personally without having to be political, preachy, pushy or anything else.

I'm sorry that it was concerning people and that it was apparently a source of confusion among posters. I'm not sure what else to say. This whole thing is really throwing me for a loop. I guess I never even remotely saw it as anything other than what it was since I knew what it represented!
-m

Well, it's good to know your intention, because in the general usage, that ASCII symbol is an orifice meant as a slight....just so you know how the majority of the less enlightened population here probably take it.

Laura

Premium Member
That's because none of them made a comment that, no matter how it was intended, came across sounding like you were better than the people from out of the state. Nothing that they said sounded like "I'm so smart for living here and being able to go whenever I want. The rest of you that are out-of-staters are idiots for coming down in the middle of summer when it's hot." Now, I've already apologized for the misunderstanding, which you left out when quoting me. And from your post I understand that you have family there and that's the reason you stay in Florida. All I was doing in my last post was offering constructive criticism on why it was misinterpreted from my point of view and help you to understand why people got defensive about it. I'm sorry if you took it as anything else.

In closing, as a former CM, I'd like to take this opportunity to say "Have A Magical Day!"

That's the way I interpreted the post too. Like "you're all idiots and I'm not because I live in Florida". :shrug:

If I was mistaken, I apologize, but clearly I was not alone.

MissM

I agree with your post actually. It's always a double-edged sword as far as what one can post. If you start a new thread, bad. If you resurrect an old thread, bad. So yeah, I see your point.

I guess people took offense to you saying that only idiots go in the summertime, but if you intended it as a joke, hell I've said it myself too :lol: But there are reasons behind it, and unfortunately, I'll have to be one of the "idiots" soon :cry: :lookaroun
Thank you. The post was just in fun. (And come on? Who's more the "idiot" anyway? The person who comes to the most amazing place on earth, or the dork who lives here and deals with the heat ALL summer like me? :animwink:)

So which goddess does it refer to?:shrug:
That's up to personal preference. Some people chose to honor three separate Matron deities which they relate best to. Others chose a goddess that is triple-aspected already. (An example is the Greek goddess Hecate.) Some chose not to personify it at all and just use it as a symbol of the unnamed Divine Feminine.

Well, it's good to know your intention, because in the general usage, that ASCII symbol is an orifice meant as a slight....just so you know how the majority of the less enlightened population here probably take it.
I had no idea that as ASCII text it had any other meaning. I just didn't have enough characters to insert an image, so I used text. Thanks for letting me know the alternate.

That's the way I interpreted the post too. Like "you're all idiots and I'm not because I live in Florida". :shrug:

If I was mistaken, I apologize, but clearly I was not alone.
Thank you. And yes, I was just trying to jest. Given the number of posts we've had around here that warn people of the horrors of a summer visit and the steps needed to survive the Florida summer, I didn't think anything of making a joke in the same vein.
-m

hrcollectibles

Camaelback is your best friend.

Drink a gallon before you even step foot in a park.

Don't touch sodas. Huge mistake.

Hats and sunglasses keep the head and face cooler.

Don't wipe away the sweat on your face.

Just some simple tricks.

If I did that I would be in the rest room most of the day :ROFLOL:

Heatherbell

If I did that I would be in the rest room most of the day :ROFLOL:

Same here...worlds smallest bladder :brick:

I get cranky when it is hot and humid here in Massachusetts so I don't go to WDW in fear that I would become a beast in their intense heat.

Sidenote: This is like the 6th thread that I have read today on this site that has had a little tif in it....

KeithVH

Original Poster
Wow. Now I feel bad I asked the question. It wasn't a very serious question - I just felt worn out after a couple days in the sun and couldn't imagine a normal park day feeling the same way. Seems after scanning 100+ posts we're about 50/50 on the summer/non-summer crowd. Actually now I think I'll encourage everyone to go in the summer. That'll mean less crowds in the winter.:p

To each his own I guess.

islesgirl

As a teacher and grad student summer is really the only time I can take a week long vacation. I think if you are smart in the summer months and don't try to kill yourself getting everything done in one day you will be fine. Get to the parks early, do indoor activities in the afternoon and head back to the parks at night and take advantage of EMH. I leave in a week to brave the August heat, but I will be in the happiest place on earth so who cares about heat! :p

Since1976

By necessity, our next trip will be a summer one, and we are planning to do MK twice (once in the beginning and once at the end of the trip), in anticipation of the crowds and heat being too much for a single day's touring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom