How can you people stand the parks in the summer?

atterris

I'm a teacher so the summer is really the only time of the year that I am available to go. I agree that it is hot but if you go to the park in the morning then back to the hotel for the afternoon returning to the park at night it's no that bad.:)

Dwarful

Well, I have been to WDW in just about every season, Christmas, Nov, May, June and August. The weather doesn't really play a factor to me as far as temperatures go. I worked for 10 yrs as a 'mailman', twice through 2 pregnancies in the St.Louis summer time, walking 5 miles a day w/35lb mailbag.
When I am at WDW we always go early, early, early, take a break for a swim (regardless of the temps) and go back to the parks. If I am at WDW I want to enjoy WDW....and I can simply because if I were at home I'd be cutting grass, pulling weeds, washing windows, watching the kids play outside (all in high temps, high humidity, still 90+ degrees at 10pm at night) etc.,

No matter where we go on vacation, we don't let weather ruin it for us. rainy days, grab a poncho, hot days, take a break for a swim/rest, cold days, dress in layers.

And remember ANYWHERE is better than spending 3hrs in the little 'egg shaped' elevator in the St.Louis Arch during a power outage in 90+ degree weather! (no lights, no a/c, no room = NO FUN!)

C&D

Use this parallel to answer the original question:

"When is the best time to go fishing?".................."Whenever you can." :)

ask!

Didn't the original post say that this scene was at DTD? If I recall, there were no parks evolved......ok, so people were hot and the kids looked hammered.....but was there fun and happiness when they were in the hot and humid parks...isn't DTD a stop most make on the last day as the Disney blues begin to set in? Had most of the people already checked out and were waiting for the plane/car to take them back to reality.

Crowds would not keep coming year after year and the summer would be the low attendance time if people did not enjoy their hot and humid summer WDW vacation.

Andrea

SallyShine

Some people simply don't have another option. Because of the sports my 3 sons are involved in, we literally have one week off in the summer and one at spring break (thank goodness they don't play baseball). I couldn't get to the World (with the kids ;) ) in the fall or winter. Not even for a weekend. It stinks! But hey, summer is better than not at all. We went for spring break for the first time two years ago. The crowds were big, but the weather was great!

Number_6

Clearly there are a lot of insane people on this board! :lol: The correct answer to "how can you stand the parks in summer" is YOU DON'T! Any darn fool knows that one!

Why do you think it's all tourists in summer? 'Cause they don't know any better. Us FL Residents understand the absurd heat, the 11+ UV index, the sauna-like humidity and the brutal, brutal horror of it all and hide indoors this time of year. We have the rest of the year to show up. Summer? Leave that one to the out-of-staters! :D
-m

Clearly you don't have children in school. Or a job that makes going to WDW difficult. Even when I lived in Orlando and had an AP, I couldn't always go whenever I wanted. Sometimes a few days in the summer and actually staying on property was all we could manage, excluding school breaks when everyone else with kids would head over to the parks as well. It's all tourists in the summer, not because "they don't know any better" but because that's what their schedules will allow. Just because you live in Florida doesn't make you smarter than everyone else, it just allows you better flexibility on when you can go. Get off your high horse.

bgraham34

I am unable to take the excessive heat and humidity. Going in August as a kid it was so hot and miserable. When i go in Sept, it is still hot a bit humid but much easier to deal with.

tigsmom

Clearly there are a lot of insane people on this board! :lol: The correct answer to "how can you stand the parks in summer" is YOU DON'T! Any darn fool knows that one!

Why do you think it's all tourists in summer? 'Cause they don't know any better. Us FL Residents understand the absurd heat, the 11+ UV index, the sauna-like humidity and the brutal, brutal horror of it all and hide indoors this time of year. We have the rest of the year to show up. Summer? Leave that one to the out-of-staters! :D
-m

We do go in the summer. You know why? Because we like to.

You live in Florida? Big deal! If its so brutal there why not leave?

Number_6

When I took family vacations growing up, almost every one to WDW was either the end of July(for my birthday) or the end of August(no crowds so who cares about the heat?). I've taken my kids now on vacations at the end of August and had a great time. We're going back this August, but this time we're leaving the day before my daughter's birthday. We'll go and have a blast and just make sure to duck into places with A/C and drink plenty of water while we're there. We're not stupid going then, we just have to think about the school schedule for the kids, especially since we're recently moved to the Buffalo area and they will be starting at a new school in September.

mikey

I've always chuckled at those who go to WDW in the summer, and then gripe about the heat! It's mind over matter, and doesn't bother me a bit to get out and sweat a little while spending time at the "coolest" place on earth! Sure it's hot! So what?

Let 'em complain and stay inside...that just makes the wait times that much shorter.

Besides...ANY day at Disney World beats a day anywhere else.

~ mike

Laura

Premium Member

-m

Nice how you stereotype everyone who takes a summer trip to Disney as an idiot. :rolleyes:

I have studied the crowd levels at Disney for years. I'm no idiot. But sometimes you don't have a choice as to when you can go.

Back in January I planned a vacation for us in May and another for us the first week in December to try and avoid the crowds. Well the military extended my husband's Iraq deployment until June and then they're sending him away in December. They gave him a few weeks off in June so we were able to move our May vacation to then, and they are not letting him take any leave at all again until September 2008 except for Thanksgiving week and Christmas week. So I had to move our December trip to Thanksgiving week.

I'm sure similar situations happen a lot. Tourists aren't dumb, it's just not easy to get time off from work at certain times of the year, and people don't want to take their kids out of school.

It sounds like you almost think you're better than everyone else because you live closer so you can go any old weekend, where to people across the country it costs thousands of dollars to get there and actually have to take time off to do it. :shrug:

And just to reply to your statements about how miserable summer is, this last trip we took in June we hardly waited in any lines (because of my knowledge of crowds at Disney and how to avoid them), the weather was very cooperative, and we had a blast, so though I really really did not want to go Thanksgiving week, I'm sure we'll do fine then too

WishIwasThere

I've always chuckled at those who go to WDW in the summer, and then gripe about the heat! It's mind over matter, and doesn't bother me a bit to get out and sweat a little while spending time at the "coolest" place on earth! Sure it's hot! So what?

Let 'em complain and stay inside...that just makes the wait times that much shorter.

Besides...ANY day at Disney World beats a day anywhere else.

~ mike

I couldn't agree more. I hear people in New England complain about the cold in the winter and those same people complain about the heat in the summer. Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining.:shrug:

NeNe1298

I'm a Florida girl so I'm use to our summers. Here is a tip. What I do to stay cool is take a damp wash cloth and a plastic baggie. I use the wash cloth to wipe my forehead and the back of my neck. It really does help keep you cooler and you can wet the cloth when ever it dries out. :)

Disneyfanman

The heat and the crowds are excessive, and all of the tips on this thread will make a difference. It's essential that you really take it easy in the heat of the day. We always schedule a restaurant reservation right at noonish and at about 5:00 PM to put our feet up and relax. It really recharges us. I have always respected the advice on going back to your hotel in the afternoon, but we only do it if we are park hopping.

I will tell you that as we have gotten older, my family members have been less and less tolerant of the heat. When we were younger and our kids were little, we hit WDW mid summer. Now we look for school breaks and do it in the fall or spring. I look for weeks when the parks are just gearing up and we can get a few late evenings without the crowds. I have had luck in late October and in the week prior to Thanksgiving week.

Because we go every year, we are now more picky about when we go. It's as much about relaxing at the resort as hitting everything that we can. So it's now a different experience.

You can have a great time at any time of the year though if you prepare.

RedBaron

Just for giggles I checked the weather channel forcast and it is currently the same temperature in Chicago as it is in Orlando 88. The only difference is that I dont have a pool (it is not the norm here), I cant look out my window and see palm trees and I am not having fun going on rides. As for people traveling to WDW in the summer, I imagine it is mostly people with kids that are in school the rest of the year and probably dont have much other choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom