Hollywood Studios Park Wide Changes Incoming?

Movielover

Then Gertie should be in Animation Courtyard and not in Echo Lake where they're confusing the 1910's with the 1950's and Echo Lake with Le Brea Tar Pits.

Also, Echo Lake looks nothing like Echo Lake.

The should remove not only Gertie, but Min & Bills, too, so that the fireworks can be views from the Echo Lake area as well as the hub.

I know this is all in sarcasm but when the park and Girtie was built Animation Courtyard did not exist. that area was the entrance and exit for the Studio Tour and was literally the Disney MGM Studios which is why you walk through a studio gate to enter the area.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to take my nerdy self and stare into a mirror for a couple hours wondering how I got this way...
;)

Kman101

Despite Gertie being '50's crazy architecture, Gertie is a '10's toon. (Actually, Gertie looks more like something Hester and Chester would build.)

Gertie is an homage to animation. Echo Lake is not. Animation Courtyard is.

Gertie is in the lake like an homage to the animal statuary posed in the La Brea Tar Pits. But that is not a tar pit, it's Echo Lake (despite not looking at all like the actual Echo Lake).

Gertie kills a sight line to the fireworks (like Min and Bill's do, too).

All of these I've mentioned above.

LOL I really hope you're sarcastic here ... Killing the sight line to the fireworks? Not a solid reason for me. Neither Min and Bill or Gertie need to go for that reason. Why are you picking on Echo Lake? Should we tear out the Rivers of America too and concrete that up?

NO MORE WATER ANYWHERE!!!!!! ;)

NeedMoreMickey

I was just there in March but I can't remember if anything is in the place where it used to be a bakery near Hollywood Brown Derby. Hasn't that been empty for a while now. Move the food from the Dockside over there and take everything out of the lake.

Haymarket2008

Gertie being created in the 1910’s doesn’t negate her placement in a 1950’s area, since her implementation is true to the theming of the area.

You certainly could craft an argument for her being an homage to animation, but the way she’s implemented in the park (as a Crazy California statue) makes her a better fit for Echo Lake, which currently serves as the catch-all land of the park anyway.

Theme parks are about escapism, and nobody wants to see a tar pit on vacation. A nice lake, on the other hand, yes, and like you said, it still calls back to the tar pits, so it’s not like the reference is lost.

I can’t get behind the sight line issue, because that’s not where the fireworks shows are designed to be seen from. That’s like saying Cosmic Ray’s blocks the sight line of the fireworks from Tomorrowland. Accurate, but irrelevant.

Yes, yes, yes to all of this.

Castle Cake Apologist

Despite Gertie being '50's crazy architecture, Gertie is a '10's toon. (Actually, Gertie looks more like something Hester and Chester would build.)

Gertie is an homage to animation. Echo Lake is not. Animation Courtyard is.

Gertie is in the lake like an homage to the animal statuary posed in the La Brea Tar Pits. But that is not a tar pit, it's Echo Lake (despite not looking at all like the actual Echo Lake).

Gertie kills a sight line to the fireworks (like Min and Bill's do, too).

All of these I've mentioned above.

Well, I had planned to respond to you after work today, but it seems that others have said everything that I was going to...

Gertie being created in the 1910’s doesn’t negate her placement in a 1950’s area, since her implementation is true to the theming of the area.

You certainly could craft an argument for her being an homage to animation, but the way she’s implemented in the park (as a Crazy California statue) makes her a better fit for Echo Lake, which currently serves as the catch-all land of the park anyway.

Theme parks are about escapism, and nobody wants to see a tar pit on vacation. A nice lake, on the other hand, yes, and like you said, it still calls back to the tar pits, so it’s not like the reference is lost.

I can’t get behind the sight line issue, because that’s not where the fireworks shows are designed to be seen from. That’s like saying Cosmic Ray’s blocks the sight line of the fireworks from Tomorrowland. Accurate, but irrelevant.
I know this is all in sarcasm but when the park and Girtie was built Animation Courtyard did not exist. that area was the entrance and exit for the Studio Tour and was literally the Disney MGM Studios which is why you walk through a studio gate to enter the area.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to take my nerdy self and stare into a mirror for a couple hours wondering how I got this way...
;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry, gang, wasn't being sarcastic. Remember, I'm pretty much devoid of nostalgia. I would dump the current MK PotC for the Shanghai version in a heartbeat. I can see how Gertie is important to the history of animation, so, move her to Animation Courtyard. Although, keep in mind she's not Disney IP, so, the current regime won't see her the same way you do. After all, Echo Lake was once on the altar of sacrifice to Star Wars.

Not only don't I get Min & Bill's at all (yes, I heard the backstory once, and can't remember what it was... the very essence of forgettable), but I don't get how a boat-QS is an object of nostalgia even if you do know the backstory.

EricsBiscuit

Sorry, gang, wasn't being sarcastic. Remember, I'm pretty much devoid of nostalgia. I would dump the current MK PotC for the Shanghai version in a heartbeat. I can see how Gertie is important to the history of animation, so, move her to Animation Courtyard. Although, keep in mind she's not Disney IP, so, the current regime won't see her the same way you do. After all, Echo Lake was once on the altar of sacrifice to Star Wars.

Not only don't I get Min & Bill's at all (yes, I heard the backstory once, and can't remember what it was... the very essence of forgettable), but I don't get how a boat-QS is an object of nostalgia even if you do know the backstory.
I for one am very nostalgic about the BBQ pork mac n cheese they once served there. I'm serious. It was so good. Secondly, I like the lake. Did you see it at Christmas. Thirdly, Gertie with a Santa hat. And fourth, there are other places to expand first.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I for one am very nostalgic about the BBQ pork mac n cheese they once served there. I'm serious. It was so good. Secondly, I like the lake. Did you see it at Christmas. Thirdly, Gertie with a Santa hat. And fourth, there are other places to expand first.

I think I mentioned above that they did the Christmas decorations very well in the EL area.

I wasn't thinking of (re)moving Gertie for a "land" expansion. I was thinking more of the sightlines. You know how we all complain about what kiosks and buildings do to the World Showcase Lagoon sightlines when they're right on the shore...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom