Hollywood Studios Park Wide Changes Incoming?

EricsBiscuit

I think I mentioned above that they did the Christmas decorations very well in the EL area.

I wasn't thinking of (re)moving Gertie for a "land" expansion. I was thinking more of the sightlines. You know how we all complain about what kiosks and buildings do to the World Showcase Lagoon sightlines when they're right on the shore...
well if they did Illuminations above Echo Lake maybe I'd reconsider but last I checked the nighttime spectaculars are on the other side of the park.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
well if they did Illuminations above Echo Lake maybe I'd reconsider but last I checked the nighttime spectaculars are on the other side of the park.

But you can be on the other side of Echo Lake and see the fireworks just like you can be down Hollywood Blvd toward the entrance and see the fireworks.

But things right on the lake break up the sightline that you would get from a wide open lake. It's not like these counter serves are carts up against a wall in some walkway. They're huge and they block views. Prettying them up doesn't stop the view blockage.

HowAboutDisney

7F6D3162-D49D-41E5-A4D8-A405832D474E.png

EricsBiscuit

But you can be on the other side of Echo Lake and see the fireworks just like you can be down Hollywood Blvd toward the entrance and see the fireworks.

But things right on the lake break up the sightline that you would get from a wide open lake. It's not like these counter serves are carts up against a wall in some walkway. They're huge and they block views. Prettying them up doesn't stop the view blockage.
Well while we're at it then, let's demolish the dock for the Liberty Belle at MK, along with the beautiful castle wall segments on the border of NFL, the trees around the hub, etc.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Well while we're at it then, let's demolish the dock for the Liberty Belle at MK, along with the beautiful castle wall segments on the border of NFL, the trees around the hub, etc.

I'm not talking to you any more regarding this since you've thrown reason out the window and think that slippery slope straw men is the appropriate way to have a conversation with me.

Jones14

I'm not talking to you any more regarding this since you've thrown reason out the window and think that slippery slope straw men is the appropriate way to have a conversation with me.
To an extent, they’re making a valid point, though. The fireworks at DHS are not designed to be seen from Echo Lake, with or without Gertie “in the way”, so it wouldn’t make sense to remove her for the sake of better fireworks viewing.

Even without that, I’m not about tearing down the theming of an area in service of a 15 minute show that runs once a day in a completely different land.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
To an extent, they’re making a valid point, though. The fireworks at DHS are not designed to be seen from Echo Lake, with or without Gertie “in the way”, so it wouldn’t make sense to remove her for the sake of better fireworks viewing.

Even without that, I’m not about tearing down the theming of an area in service of a 15 minute show that runs once a day in a completely different land.

Completely different land? There's a huge opening where "hub land" meets Echo Lake Land. The were meant to be open to each other to create the original, larger 'hidden Mickey' as seen from above. The Chinese theater is completely in view of the majority of the passable areas of Echo Lake (not to mention most of Echo Lake in view of the hub). The other side of Echo Lake is as far from the Chinese Theater as the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Sunset. And people watch the fireworks there and further back down Hollywood. The entirety of DHS's hub and the lake and the path around it can fit in MK's hub.

MK's hub got a big make-over to accommodate larger crowds and to put on a better fireworks + projection show. DHS is in desperate need of the same thing, IMO.

Of course, DHS is in more desperate need of at least two more entertainment lands and since nothing's been green lit for that to happen, I'm pretty sure they ain't touching Gertie and Min's and the Lake for a long time.

Jones14

Completely different land? There's a huge opening where "hub land" meets Echo Lake Land. The were meant to be open to each other to create the original, larger 'hidden Mickey' as seen from above. The Chinese theater is completely in view of the majority of the passable areas of Echo Lake (not to mention most of Echo Lake in view of the hub). The other side of Echo Lake is as far from the Chinese Theater as the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Sunset. And people watch the fireworks there and further back down Hollywood. The entirety of DHS's hub and the lake and the path around it can fit in MK's hub.

MK's hub got a big make-over to accommodate larger crowds and to put on a better fireworks + projection show. DHS is in desperate need of the same thing, IMO.

Of course, DHS is in more desperate need of at least two more entertainment lands and since nothing's been green lit for that to happen, I'm pretty sure they ain't touching Gertie and Min's and the Lake for a long time.

Right, but they are still two completely different lands, only one of which has an area which was designed for fireworks viewing. Liberty Square provides decent views of certain parts of Happily Ever After, too; that doesn’t mean we should knock down the Sleepy Hollow building and take out the trees to help more people see it from there.

The point is that the shows are designed to be seen from in the hub. Giving more people a crappy view of the show (as standing in Echo Lake blocks almost all of the projections off entirely) by ripping out placemaking in a land that the show does not take place in does not make any sense.

MK’s Hub makeover is a different story because it was designed to fit more people into the space that was already known for being the prime viewing location. This is not the same issue, because Echo Lake will never be a prime viewing location for anything that doesn’t take place right on top of Echo Lake.

EricsBiscuit

They’re fine. The mess of showcase promenade is not.
Agreed! It would also make a potential parade route very cramped.

Jones said the point I was trying to make. The intended viewing area for the fireworks is the hub and Hollywood Blvd, as it has been since Sorcery premiered eons ago. Therefore, it's unnecessary to remove touches of character like Gertie to free up a tiny bit of viewing space.

andysol

Didn't want to start a new thread for this discussion, so this thread will work.

Is anyone else shocked we haven't seen significant infrastructure changes to DHS by this point? We're ~15 months away from SW:GE opening, and still working with the same restaurants and pathways. What the hell is Disney thinking?

Animal Kingdom, on the other hand was enlarging walkways, expanding stores and snack areas, adding restaurants, etc 2-3 years prior to Pandora opening. As a result, the park easily handled the additional capacity.

Where are the infrastructure changes? The new Taphouse area was a good start- but I'm utterly floored they haven't handled the bottlenecks that occur daily from Frozen to Backlot.

This is going to be so, so ugly.

cjkeating

Didn't want to start a new thread for this discussion, so this thread will work.

Is anyone else shocked we haven't seen significant infrastructure changes to DHS by this point? We're ~15 months away from SW:GE opening, and still working with the same restaurants and pathways. What the hell is Disney thinking?

Animal Kingdom, on the other hand was enlarging walkways, expanding stores and snack areas, adding restaurants, etc 2-3 years prior to Pandora opening. As a result, the park easily handled the additional capacity.

Where are the infrastructure changes? The new Taphouse area was a good start- but I'm utterly floored they haven't handled the bottlenecks that occur daily from Frozen to Backlot.

This is going to be so, so ugly.

Couldn't agree more. If the crowds are as expected for SWGE (which I am not sure they will be...) it will break DHS.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The main problem is the way DHS was designed in the first place it isn't easy to re adapt its walkways add extra things in without closing off areas which are needed for moving people around the park, and if they want to go into backstage then need to clear other areas first then move stuff over before those areas can be repurposed.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I think Disney is contemplating what to do with that park's future, as may be evidenced by the potential park name change. When they find out what they want to do, major attractions and areas may be on the chopping block as was GMR. Though I did see they're adding a Lightning McQueen thing over by Rock N Rollercoaster. Perhaps that and Runaway Railway is an insight of things to come?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom