Hollywood Studios Park Wide Changes Incoming?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Gertie is a reference and tribute to the film Gertie the Dinosaur, one of the very first animated films that helped establish important animation techniques like keyframes and animation loops. It was one of the inspirations for Walt himself. It makes perfect sense to be in the park.

Then Gertie should be in Animation Courtyard and not in Echo Lake where they're confusing the 1910's with the 1950's and Echo Lake with Le Brea Tar Pits.

Also, Echo Lake looks nothing like Echo Lake.

The should remove not only Gertie, but Min & Bills, too, so that the fireworks can be views from the Echo Lake area as well as the hub.

J. D.

Then Gertie should be in Animation Courtyard and not in Echo Lake where they're confusing the 1910's with the 1950's and Echo Lake with Le Brea Tar Pits.

Also, Echo Lake looks nothing like Echo Lake.

The should remove not only Gertie, but Min & Bills, too, so that the fireworks can be views from the Echo Lake area as well as the hub.
Gertie and Dockside Diner are examples of California Crazy architecture from the 50's, so I think they fit in well enough for the time being.

Last edited:

djkidkaz

Original Poster
I would like to see Gertie go and echo lake be re-done in some form. I feel like once Indiana Jones gets the boot this area will be repurposed hopefully with some nice new water elements.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I would like to see Gertie go and echo lake be re-done in some form. I feel like once Indiana Jones gets the boot this area will be repurposed hopefully with some nice new water elements.

But if Gertie is gone, where am I going to get ice cream in HS???

Oh wait... Gertie is ALWAYS CLOSED whenever I'm there. Seriously, I have never seen that stand open!!
1524685870699.png

(Picture stolen from wdwmagic.com - Thank you!!)

Castle Cake Apologist

I'm sure in their minds, and yours, she does.

I guess I just don't understand how she doesn't? What specifically makes her not fit?

She is styled after a type of architecture that was popular in California during the time period that Echo Lake is meant to represent. Many food establishments in California around the 1950s styled their buildings after animals and other "odd" things to draw attention to their stands.

As Echo Lake is meant to represent a Hollywood business district from the 1950s, it seems to me that she fits in fine.

Haymarket2008

I guess I just don't understand how she doesn't? What specifically makes her not fit?

She is styled after a type of architecture that was popular in California during the time period that Echo Lake is meant to represent. Many food establishments in California around the 1950s styled their buildings after animals and other "odd" things to draw attention to their stands.

As Echo Lake is meant to represent a Hollywood business district from the 1950s, it seems to me that she fits in fine.

As @Movielover said a few posts back, Gertie is the first animated dino back in 1914 and was a huge icon in film history. It also does hearken back to the kitsch of the 1950's.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
No need to touch Echo Lake, Gertie or Min and Bill's. Not liking something doesn't mean they don't belong.

As @Movielover said a few posts back, Gertie is the first animated dino back in 1914 and was a huge icon in film history. It also does hearken back to the kitsch of the 1950's.

Thank-you all for laying the rationale for keeping DinoRama.

Just because there's a workable story for it being there doesn't mean there aren't other reasons for it not being there.

But, there is the most glaring of objections: "Ice Cream of Extinction" is not a pun!!! (Or, at least, "I scream of extinction" isn't one that makes sense.)

Castle Cake Apologist

Thank-you all for laying the rationale for keeping DinoRama.

Just because there's a workable story for it being there doesn't mean there aren't other reasons for it not being there.

But, there is the most glaring of objections: "Ice Cream of Extinction" is not a pun!!! (Or, at least, "I scream of extinction" isn't one that makes sense.)

To be fair, I did specifically ask you for those reasons for it not belonging there and you didn't really give any...

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
To be fair, I did specifically ask you for those reasons for it not belonging there and you didn't really give any...

Despite Gertie being '50's crazy architecture, Gertie is a '10's toon. (Actually, Gertie looks more like something Hester and Chester would build.)

Gertie is an homage to animation. Echo Lake is not. Animation Courtyard is.

Gertie is in the lake like an homage to the animal statuary posed in the La Brea Tar Pits. But that is not a tar pit, it's Echo Lake (despite not looking at all like the actual Echo Lake).

Gertie kills a sight line to the fireworks (like Min and Bill's do, too).

All of these I've mentioned above.

Jones14

Despite Gertie being '50's crazy architecture, Gertie is a '10's toon. (Actually, Gertie looks more like something Hester and Chester would build.)

Gertie is an homage to animation. Echo Lake is not. Animation Courtyard is.

Gertie is in the lake like an homage to the animal statuary posed in the La Brea Tar Pits. But that is not a tar pit, it's Echo Lake (despite not looking at all like the actual Echo Lake).

Gertie kills a sight line to the fireworks (like Min and Bill's do, too).

All of these I've mentioned above.
Gertie being created in the 1910’s doesn’t negate her placement in a 1950’s area, since her implementation is true to the theming of the area.

You certainly could craft an argument for her being an homage to animation, but the way she’s implemented in the park (as a Crazy California statue) makes her a better fit for Echo Lake, which currently serves as the catch-all land of the park anyway.

Theme parks are about escapism, and nobody wants to see a tar pit on vacation. A nice lake, on the other hand, yes, and like you said, it still calls back to the tar pits, so it’s not like the reference is lost.

I can’t get behind the sight line issue, because that’s not where the fireworks shows are designed to be seen from. That’s like saying Cosmic Ray’s blocks the sight line of the fireworks from Tomorrowland. Accurate, but irrelevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom