Haunted Mansion movie...WITHOUT EDDIE MURPHY!

jt04

Read about this yesterday on empireonline.com i have to say, im quite excited. i was excited the last time though when the other mansion movie was announced. so i just hope this one is a lot better than the last.

thing is though. if you take the concept and storyline of the mansions, they're actually quite dark. and to deliver this on celluloid will need an awful lot dumbing down to keep it more family friendly.

if the film is to contain all the elements that the rides have, than a 12a rating (no less) would be applicable. i know its a family ride, but when you dig deeper and look into the story of the attraction, its actually rather macabre.

it would be cool for del Torro to work with the storyline from Phantom Manor, that seems to have a more coherent storyline, pretty macabre too. the great thing about Torro is also his big use of physical effects rather than all digital, which is why i was SO disappointed with Burton's Alice (so rubbish, so drowned in CGI) for someone who's created incredibly immersive set based films, i was rather sad to see he did a George Lucas on the whole film...

what i'd like? a very dark version of the film, much like Burton's sleepy hollow with all the gags and humor as well as frights. no singing.

It makes me wonder if this movie might not revive the idea of a scarier more macabre "B mode" Haunted Mansion during evening hours. Hope so.

PS-agree the CGI was the weakest part (and only occasionally) of Alice. But otherwise it exceeded my expectations by a mile. Great film so I'm not suprised by the success at the box office.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I, for one, am very excited about this! Del Torro is a huge Disney geek and the Haunted Mansion is a passion project for him. If they can get away with it, I'd love for it to be even darker than the POTC series. I'm also curious as to if and how they'll implement the score and other various details from the ride.

cookiee_munster

Unless it's from a few singing busts that is ;)

well, as like a cameo i guess. like what they did with pirates of the carribbean. the first film just had a tiny snippet of jack singing it, and then through the franchise it popped up, but nothing major which is what id like for grim grimming ghosts. it would be cool for it to appear in the film, but not like a big ol' sing along like in the original mansion film :hurl:

Spike-in-Berlin

it would be cool for del Torro to work with the storyline from Phantom Manor, that seems to have a more coherent storyline, pretty macabre too. the great thing about Torro is also his big use of physical effects rather than all digital, which is why i was SO disappointed with Burton's Alice (so rubbish, so drowned in CGI) for someone who's created incredibly immersive set based films, i was rather sad to see he did a George Lucas on the whole film...

Oh please not. Phantom Manor doesn't look even near as frightening spook-housish as the HM in MK. And I don't find that a Haunted Mansion located in the Wild West is appropriate either. I hope this time they use the HM of the MK instead of DLs one, because it is the one that looks by far the most haunted.

gerryu21220

From one of GdT's interviews, it seems it won't be just one mansion, but a whole world for the mansions to exist in, rather than a more realistic approach where one mansion exists in the "real" world.

Makes me think more of Nightmare Before Christmas, or any of those other Burton films. Now that scares me! (I don't like the NBC overlay anymore.)

misterID

Jim Hill had a really great article on this. I totally forgot Disney was starting a horror division and was putting Del Toro in charge of it. One of his scripts is being made for Miramax (now owned by Disney) that sounds fantastic. I think this might be one of many things to come with GDT and Disney.

Rosso11

Jim Hill had a really great article on this. I totally forgot Disney was starting a horror division and was putting Del Toro in charge of it. One of his scripts is being made for Miramax (now owned by Disney) that sounds fantastic. I think this might be one of many things to come with GDT and Disney.

That animated horror division was, Double Dare You. Unfortunately NiKki Finke is reporting today that it is now dead. This news really depressed me today. Honestly for me this was the most exciting news that came out of D23 last year. This is a quote from the article.

"That Disney Double Dare You deal is gone. I am developing a relationship with DreamWorks that’s still to be defined, but it’s not as it was going to be at Disney. Disney was a beautiful opportunity, but with the timing and the delays and everything, I couldn’t activate it."

I was really hoping this new division would bring some much needed diversity to Disney animation and would bring some great new source material for the parks.

Here's the full article http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/com...-dark-and-lessons-he-learned-from-the-hobbit/

misterID

That animated horror division was, Double Dare You. Unfortunately NiKki Finke is reporting today that it is now dead. This news really depressed me today. Honestly for me this was the most exciting news that came out of D23 last year. This is a quote from the article.

"That Disney Double Dare You deal is gone. I am developing a relationship with DreamWorks that’s still to be defined, but it’s not as it was going to be at Disney. Disney was a beautiful opportunity, but with the timing and the delays and everything, I couldn’t activate it."

I was really hoping this new division would bring some much needed diversity to Disney animation and would bring some great new source material for the parks.

Here's the full article http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/com...-dark-and-lessons-he-learned-from-the-hobbit/

:(

That would have been so... Ah, I don't want to even think about it.

Hot4Hudgens

I'm really excited about this. I first had an inkling this may come to be at last year's HM 40th Anniversary event at DL where many higher-ups dragged it through the mud and basically apologized for it during this Q&A session-type thing, but I had no idea it'd be this soon. I'm confident they'll do a good job with it. This is one of Disney's premeire attractions and they won't mess up on it a 2nd time.

raven

Ah yes. The "darker" version of the ride that was apperently a true rumor...that never happened. Actually I wonder if the movie will include some of the characters planned for the new queue area, although they are expected to be on the lighter side and not as dark as the movie is heard to be. Just thought there could be a possible tie-in.

wserratore1963

Hatbox Ghost returning to the Haunted Mansion is all but confirmed now:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/110/1107879p1.html

Tron had doubters? I find that surprising since for the past two years the mood has been overwhelmingly positive for the project.

Also the quality of HM has nothing to do with Tron. Having said that Del Toro is a competent director and at a minimum it will be far superior to the Eddie Murphy version. However, I thought Del Toro was makng Troll Hunter for Disney did that get cancelled?
LOVE IT
we need more people in the parks with this kind of vision, attitude and enthusiasm!

Pepper's Ghost

Don't know how I missed this news! I'm not into comic-con etc, so I don't pay much attention to it, but I stumbled on the news on a completely unrelated site this afternoon. I got so excited when I read it that I almost jumped out of my skin! I'm obviously a huge HM fan and after hearing the news, I came here and searched for the news immediately.

I understand why some might be concerned with movie characters invading the ride if the movie is successful, but does anyone really hate Capt Jack in the PoTC ride? I loved the ride before Jack, but it's just as good with. Before the movie was released, I don't think anyone could've fathomed that a movie character would be so popular as to inspire a change to the ride, but if a character in the new HM movie is that inspiring, I wouldn't mind some minor tweaks. I'm guessing it would be unlikely to have a character that could possibly be as popular as Jack that would inspire a chance to the ride though. The hatbox ghost is a good choice as a main character though because if he is popular, the addition of him to the ride shouldn't stir up too much of a fuss.

As for a storyline on the ride, no there really isn't a solid storyline all the way through, but I think there's definitely enough material to work with to make a good movie. Hopefully this won't be a movie that GdT completely flops on. He's a very talented guy. I just hope he mostly sticks to the material from the ride rather than introducing a real estate agent and a bunch of other unrelated stuff. And one can only hope that he doesn't bastardize the singing busts. Obvioulsy, so much was done wrong in the first movie. I also tried so hard to like it, but just couldn't. The worst thing about the first movie was how the floating Leota head was introduced into the ride when they updated it. I hated that Leota was turned into a flying orb in the movie. She was supposed to be in a crystal ball if I'm not mistaken, not a flying orb. Anyway, I hated that change to the ride.

In any case, I love the idea of a new better version of the movie which is sure to include tons more HM merchandise being available if it's successful! I'm running out of HM stuff to buy. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom