Haunted Mansion movie...WITHOUT EDDIE MURPHY!

gerryu21220

There's a big difference between HM and ToT. Only Disney park fans have ever really heard of ToT. And then there's the whole Twilight Zone ownership issue. On the other hand, HM is a Disney classic known to everyone (whether they've ever actually experienced the ride or not.)

Not saying a ToT movie would never happen. But it might be more likely that they would attempt to reboot the Country Bears first. :lookaroun

I thought there already was a Tower of Terror movie made when it was built to promote the attraction.

jt04

I thought there already was a Tower of Terror movie made when it was built to promote the attraction.

That is correct. And more importantly, the Tokyo ToT is not TZ based I'm pretty sure. Iger especially wants Disney to have it's own product and I know he would rather not deal with legal issues of paying licensing costs etc. That is why he bought Pixar and Marvel. I'd guess Rod Serling will be furloughed sooner or later.

FigmentJedi

LMAO, that made my night.

I have a feeling M. Night Shamalamadingdong would have fun with the HM movie.

Step 1: Unsuspecting family enters what they believe to be a perfectly fine house.
Step 2: Children begin seeing spooky things going on, parents unphazed
Step 3: Parents catch on to the madness
Step 4: The house turns out to be a block of cheese and the family is really a pack of dogs
Step 5: ????
Step 6: Profit.

After he ruined Avatar the Last Airbender, I wouldn't allow him near any previously existing franchise with a 39 1/2 foot pole.

lebeau

That is correct. And more importantly, the Tokyo ToT is not TZ based I'm pretty sure. Iger especially wants Disney to have it's own product and I know he would rather not deal with legal issues of paying licensing costs etc. That is why he bought Pixar and Marvel. I'd guess Rod Serling will be furloughed sooner or later.

After what they spent to theme the Tower to the TZ, I'd be surprised if they re-themed it barring some change in the liscensing fees.

Also, I seriously doubt this is anywhere near Iger's radar.

jt04

After what they spent to theme the Tower to the TZ, I'd be surprised if they re-themed it barring some change in the liscensing fees.

Also, I seriously doubt this is anywhere near Iger's radar.

Franchising is the only thing on his radar. :lol:

And that is not a criticism.

gibson12

Geek out movie news of my lifetime. Del Toro is a perfect match. Even more awesome for happening so unexpectedly--you would have thought they wouldn't do this so soon after the last one.

This is literally something I would dream of doing if I were head of the studio and had all the power.

lebeau

Franchising is the only thing on his radar. :lol:

And that is not a criticism.

Kind of making my point there. There's no way Iger is concerned about the miniscule liscensing fee Disney pays for the rights to the Twilight Zone name.

I'll grant you, Iger likes to talk about franchises. But really, who cares what Iger says? Most of what comes out of his mouth in public is specifically intended to placate shareholders and has little to do with the actual direction the company will be taking.

Also, Tower of Terror is not a franchise. Twilight Zone is. The average person has no idea what the Tower of Terror is. And I don't see Disney attempting to build a franchise around a (great) theme park ride that the average public knows nothing about that has always been associated with a property they don't own.

I could be wrong, but I don't see them mining this territory unless they have a string of hits based on theme park attractions beyond Pirates and HM. I think the most likely candidate for a big screen adaptation is the long-rumored BTM movie.

If HM is a hit, BTM becomes that much more likely. If BTM gets made and is a hit, Disney will start looking at what other theme park attractions it could possibly adapt. I imagine the Tower of Terror would still be pretty low on the list though given the Twilight Zone theme.

jt04

Kind of making my point there. There's no way Iger is concerned about the miniscule liscensing fee Disney pays for the rights to the Twilight Zone name.

It is not so much the money that could be saved but rather the potential of what could be earned.

I'll grant you, Iger likes to talk about franchises. But really, who cares what Iger says? Most of what comes out of his mouth in public is specifically intended to placate shareholders and has little to do with the actual direction the company will be taking.

This is just so removed from the truth I can't even respond. :lol::wave:

Also, Tower of Terror is not a franchise. Twilight Zone is. The average person has no idea what the Tower of Terror is. And I don't see Disney attempting to build a franchise around a (great) theme park ride that the average public knows nothing about that has always been associated with a property they don't own.

Disney wants to own 100% of all it produces now. This is even more justification for retheming the tower.

I could be wrong, but I don't see them mining this territory unless they have a string of hits based on theme park attractions beyond Pirates and HM. I think the most likely candidate for a big screen adaptation is the long-rumored BTM movie.

Don't forget Jungle Cruise is still possible. This is more than a trend.

If HM is a hit, BTM becomes that much more likely. If BTM gets made and is a hit, Disney will start looking at what other theme park attractions it could possibly adapt. I imagine the Tower of Terror would still be pretty low on the list though given the Twilight Zone theme.

We will have to agree to disagree.

You forced me to use my red pen. :p

lebeau

You forced me to use my red pen. :p

I forgot about JC. It is neck and neck as the most likely candidate to be adapted.

Regarding your comments on Iger, you throw his name around a lot but I get the impression you don't actually understand his role in the company...

jt04

I forgot about JC. It is neck and neck as the most likely candidate to be adapted.

Regarding your comments on Iger, you throw his name around a lot but I get the impression you don't actually understand his role in the company...

If by that you mean I don't understand the wdw74-esque spin/propaganda about the "weatherman" then you are right. If you are refering to his role and responsibility as CEO then you are wrong. He does not showboat in the manner of Eisner but that does not mean he is not involved with most aspects of the companies direction. Quite obviously he is. Besides, Jim Cramer said so. :D

lebeau

If by that you mean I don't understand the wdw74-esque spin/propaganda about the "weatherman" then you are right. If you are refering to his role and responsibility as CEO then you are wrong. He does not showboat in the manner of Eisner but that does not mean he is not involved with most aspects of the companies direction. Quite obviously he is. Besides, Jim Cramer said so. :D

He's involved. The way he swooped in and gave notes on World of Color indicates that. But he's not involved in the way you seem to think he is.

And yes, most of what he says in public is intended to keep the shareholders happy. Look at the fazing out of discounts comments. That was hot air all along.

Ragetti

Geek out movie news of my lifetime. Del Toro is a perfect match. Even more awesome for happening so unexpectedly--you would have thought they wouldn't do this so soon after the last one.

This is literally something I would dream of doing if I were head of the studio and had all the power.

TBH, with any other director, they might not have. Del Toro is One Of Us(tm). He likes the same geeky things we do. Only he has film-making talent.

I was PO'd when he left The Hobbit. But Ultimately, I think PJ will do the Hobbit. And I'm seriously stoked about a Del Toro Haunted Mansion movie.

Mr.Diamond

This will make a lot of people happy...yesterday, at Comic Com, del Toro said the the Hatbox Ghost will be the central character. This is alluded to in the concept art.

I would imagine this will fuel the talk of re-instating the long lost Hatbox Ghost in the actual HM(s).

Also, there was a short clip of Johnny Depp in full Jack Sparrow garb, drinking rum and telling the nerds (his word) he wasn't going to look for the Fountain of Youth, but if he was, you wouldn't be interested in joining, would you? He also said the rum was "on the mouse."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom