Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

TrainsOfDisney

Managed to ride this afternoon with a ILL (we didn’t have park reservations for Epcot so had to hop in the afternoon). The ride is great (however it did make me pretty dizzy).

The loading, however, in the afternoon was a mess. After the second pre-show, the vestibule area gets filled with too many people and people on ECVs. This was downright dangerous when we were loading (for us, from the risk of feet being run over from ECVs) and scary for those on the ECVs because they simply can’t see anything. It definitely needs a bit of a rethink.

We ended up receiving a refund on the ILL as one of our party members has a DAS for sensory issues and was panicking throughout the entire line.

Would still recommend the ride, shame about the queue experience.
Since I haven’t been to this attraction and don’t fully understand the layout it’s hard to know for sure how dangerous or not this was.

If it was indeed as packed / dangerous as it appears from the photo and your description you may want to contact Reedy Creek Fire Chief with your experience - if the capacity for that area is being exceeded it needs to be looked into.

It's a shame Disney is so insistent on merging LL with stand-by before preshows. Universal does a better job at having Express go all the way to the loading platform.
The pre shows are an important part of the ride for Guardians. The problem here was twofold it turned out. Only one side was loading but they were still sending through full rooms instead of half filled rooms, hence the backlog. The main change they really need to implement is routing ECVs away from that area after the second pre-show. No other attraction which has pre-shows like this has guests still on ECVs still at that point (I’m thinking Test Track, Dinosaur etc - I may be misremembering) because it’s not safe for those on the ECV and those around them.

TrojanUSC

The pre shows are an important part of the ride for Guardians. The problem here was twofold it turned out. Only one side was loading but they were still sending through full rooms instead of half filled rooms, hence the backlog. The main change they really need to implement is routing ECVs away from that area after the second pre-show. No other attraction which has pre-shows like this has guests still on ECVs still at that point (I’m thinking Test Track, Dinosaur etc - I may be misremembering) because it’s not safe for those on the ECV and those around them.

I believe Tower and ROTR both have ECVs in the pre-shows. The area past shouldn't be that packed to begin with, since only one side was loading.

My point was that the pre-shows, while important, are the end of your express entry via LL. In some cases you still have another 20 minutes past the pre-show before you can board. The newer attractions should have the pre-show with dividers between LL/Standby and they direct into separate queues past the pre-shows. Kinda like how at RNR the single rider line is in the same room with you in the pre-show but empties out into a separate queue that they pull from at load.

trainplane3

So, some opening day thoughts.

1. Cast Members were talking about the lack of opening ceremonies with us, and attributed it to management being scared of guest reactions. I instantly had flashbacks to Chapek being ushered off Main Street on the 50th.

2. Zach was walking around the area, taking pictures and overall being a "celebrity", however you take that information is up to you. Funnily enough, the rest of WDI was together, greeting guests. Zach was the only one wandering around and not speaking to his coworkers.

3. The morning had a severe lack of crowds. I was in line at the toll plaza at 4 AM for the 50th with well over 300 cars. Same with Rise of the Resistance. Today at 7 AM, there were barely 70 of us in front of the turnstiles. Every toll lane open, every cast member in position. Not a soul in sight.

4. Guest reactions to the ride were stale at best. More people seemed to be interested in taking pictures and leaving. That was about it. The Starbucks line was longer than the line for the Creations merch. People would pick up the commemorative stuff, talk about it, and set it back down. Resellers had their usual buckets and strollers present.

5. Besides Zach and a couple WDI team members, nobody of importance was present. No Jeff Vahle, no Kartika Rodriguez, no Josh D'amaro. Just a bunch of shift leaders and WDI Interns.

It felt almost somber or confused. Zach was delivering his consistently vague answers, especially thise regarding Future World West and "Play!". Overall, the morning felt dull and uncertain. Not the opening fanfare I think an EPCOT addition deserved.
Upper management are simply scared of guests. They weren't out wandering the park on the 50th, why would they ever show their faces for a single attraction? They know what people think of other things they've done but hiding from it.

In park management is much more in touch with guests but sadly they can't do as much as they want.

For all the talk Zach does, he was a "books" guy prior to going all in with WDI for Epcot. From what I've heard is he doesn't have a whole lot of love in WDI. I spoke to someone last year and mentioned his name. They couldn't believe the position he got and just laughed. So most of the people that actually know how to design things probably stay away from him.

While Joe was the "celeb" for WDI, he knew his stuff and rightfully gained his position.

lazyboy97o

Since I haven’t been to this attraction and don’t fully understand the layout it’s hard to know for sure how dangerous or not this was.

If it was indeed as packed / dangerous as it appears from the photo and your description you may want to contact Reedy Creek Fire Chief with your experience - if the capacity for that area is being exceeded it needs to be looked into.
Even with that many people they’re probably not exceeding 7 SF per person and it’s not unusual for queue spaces to be designed for 5 SF per person.

mergatroid

Having somebody claim that "Numerous posters have illustrated how you and others attempt to shut down or delegitimize criticism. You steadfastly refuse to address the specifics of the argument", I thought I'd check whether I'd shut down or delegitimize criticism and forgot about it? Most of my replies were to different posters and have me admit that people can get sick on this ride and offer solutions to it from my perspective, I even admit my wife won't ride it. I've also been accused of not 'debating' the issue. To me a debate is when two sides put their opinions across, in these cases it's ok to not agree but nowhere have I said that others are 'delegitimizing criticism' or said their view 'isn't permissible' despite a couple of posters saying these untruths about me. I've pointed out that the number of posts about sickness have been inflated by several people continually discussing it, this is true and I'm not claiming that only a few have suffered motion sickness.

It's almost as though if in a debate you don't say to the other person "You're 100% right and I'm wrong, me giving a counter argument is me shutting you down and delegitimizing your view and that's wrong", that they get all upset.

Anyhow here's my posts on this thread where I give my honest opinions and then I'm accused of 'playing games which isn't appreciated' another untruth.

It's a shame that some won't want or be able to ride this attraction but that's just life. Some get car sick or plane sick, some don't like speed and some don't like heights. There's a number of rides at Disney and elsewhere that many won't ride already, hence the warning signs. My wife doesn't ride several attractions for this very reason and won't be riding this. Once the public are allowed in I'm sure they'll be able to see whether this is a big problem for folks or not.

Well that's fair enough though I'm not sure how I'm ignoring it as I've made several posts already discussing motion sickness and admitted that's a problem for some people. I'm also a person who has no problem with coasters, heights or spinning so my perspective is always slightly skewed in favour of these type of 'thrill rides'. I have also said that my wife won't do any of these type of rides and that there's many people in the same situation as her, so I'm hardly ignoring it?

I've read on here that some of those experiencing it have said that it could cause motion sickness, if this continues with a large percentage of guests then I'd imagine Disney would address it. I seem to remember Mission Space receiving complaints of nausea and Disney addressing that and changing the wording of the warning (along with turning off the spinning on half the simulators). I'm pretty confident though that most people who ride will be fine as anyone with motion sickness problems usually skip rides with warnings as this thread testifies to with many skipping this type of attraction. Once everyday guests start riding it we'll find out for sure. I'd imagine that it will be measured by the number of people who vomit or require assistance following it, those things will either happen or won't and it will probably be judged then based on numbers. Right now though I don't know who's 'glossing over it', I just don't yet see enough complaints to warrant discussion of a major problem that will require dramatic changes. If that alters due to high numbers of incidents then of course it will be addressed and be discussed on here just like anything else.

It could be and that would be sad if that were the case, I'm sure we'll find out in the coming weeks. If it's the case then I imagine word will get out that those with motion sickness shouldn't ride, but I'm hoping that's not the case because I can see a lot wanting to ride this.

I don't think they'll change anything, it's been designed and built where it operates the way it does to make all the effects work. All they could do is say ride knowing this can cause motion sickness and let people decide themselves.

I think with GOTG being so popular that we'll find early on that people like yourself will want to ride despite the fact they know that certain rides using screens, movement and darkness make them unwell. Also I think with Disney describing it as a 'family coaster' that they're being honest from the outset and not trying to sell this as a traditional dark ride.

Out of curiosity if you'd seen this out in the open would it have put you off with the turning and speed, or do you think it was the darkness that affected you more? The thing with this 'coaster' is it's indoors so people perhaps don't have the benefit of seeing it to judge themselves whether it looks too fast or spinny etc before riding.

I personally don't see it as a huge problem but if many people complain of nausea then I can see Disney rewording their warning signs but beyond that I can't see them changing anything else.

There are many people (my wife being one of them) who when seeing the above will instantly say "No way in hell am I riding that", but not seeing that may think "Ooh a Guardinans fast ride, how bad can that be" and chance it. I think it's possibly this that will maybe persuade those who if seeing it wouldn't ride, to try it and then regret it.

I think 'spinning' gives the impression that the vehicle rotates continuously, turning a full 360 degrees. I don't think anyone denies that it changes direction frequently but when describing an amusement park attraction, the word 'spinning' conjures up images of constant turning such as the teacup type rides. I think people are just trying to make the distinction on exactly what movement is involved rather than being argumentative and 'spinning' perhaps to many gives the wrong impression.

Now if moving sideways, backwards and changing direction makes you sick, you probably don't care whether the word 'spinning' is the best choice or not. In that case you're better not riding and nobody is trying to convince you otherwise that I can see?

However if you're ok going sideways, backwards and changing direction but no good on something continually 'spinning' around and around, there maybe more importance in the words used and the impression they give and you'll probably want to try this.

Again you're wrong. I've addressed and admitted the attraction should be in another park in this thread multiple times. I've addressed the motion sickness and said they may have to change the warning signs if numbers persist? You've quoted me several times when I've responded to others which I have no issue with (I'll talk to anyone) and then replied as though I was somehow criticising you?

For what it's worth I don't think you're a troll or the worst offender of people when it comes to Cosmic Rewind. I've read you saying several times how this is a good, solid or fun ride but it's always followed by a long list of things you don't like. You also appear to also work very hard at dismissing or downplaying many positive reviews, that's ok though as it's your right. Strangely however you've just said "You ALSO have worked to dismiss or downplay any negative reviews, and that's much less OK". That's a strange response as it means my view isn't as Ok as yours? It's like you want to post your views but then dictate who responds to them based on whether you like their responses or not?

As I say we have polar opposite views, I won't quote you again if that's what you prefer? Thanks for the good wishes for the surgery, been 3 years in the waiting and if I lived in America would be expensive financially. Fortunately it's free here in the UK and could be life changing, fingers crossed

Personally I think the only change will be in the warning signs and letting people decide. Just like at Universal, Sea World and Busch etc, there's some rides that cause motion sickness and it's accepted. Sucks a bit for those who can't ride, but that's life? I can't see something like the rotating ever being turned off.

We get a ride that's getting good reviews and has a small problem with making some riders sick. I don't think folk are lying about people being sick although statements like "The ride vehicle was literally covered in vomit" is an exaggeration or a person with no real understanding of the word literally. I've read that sick bags are being handed out and asked why I've ignored this from a poster I've told I've no interest in replying to directly anymore. I've not replied to him for the above reason but as he's criticizing me for not replying here's my take on that. It's not good that any attraction has to have sick bags ready for guests, I'm sure Disney didn't want that. I'm not sure what more they want from me about that? When I point out that thrill rides do that and highlight other attractions again I get attacked for shutting down the conversation which is completely untrue. It's like unless I say this ride makes some sick therefore it's a complete failure, they believe I'm glossing over.

Last edited:

lewisc

The morning had a severe lack of crowds. I was in line at the toll plaza at 4 AM for the 50th with well over 300 cars. Same with Rise of the Resistance. Today at 7 AM, there were barely 70 of us in front of the turnstiles. Every toll lane open, every cast member in position. Not a soul in sight.
You had to be in, or near, DHS to get a BP. Did we even know for sure you wouldnt be able to wait in line. The entire park was open hours before official park opening.

GotG is different, every guest knows their approximate boarding time before breakfast.

Casper Gutman

Having somebody claim that "Numerous posters have illustrated how you and others attempt to shut down or delegitimize criticism. You steadfastly refuse to address the specifics of the argument", I thought I'd check whether I'd shut down or delegitimize criticism and forgot about it? Most of my replies were to different posters and have me admit that people can get sick on this ride and offer solutions to it from my perspective, I even admit my wife won't ride it. I've also been accused of not 'debating' the issue. To me a debate is when two sides put their opinions across, in these cases it's ok to not agree but nowhere have I said that others are 'delegitimizing criticism' or said their view 'isn't permissible' despite a couple of posters saying these untruths about me. I've pointed out that the number of posts about sickness have been inflated by several people continually discussing it, this is true and I'm not claiming that only a few have suffered motion sickness.

It's almost as though if in a debate you don't say to the other person "You're 100% right and I'm wrong, me giving a counter argument is me shutting you down and delegitimizing your view and that's wrong", that they get all upset.

Anyhow here's my posts on this thread where I give my honest opinions and then I'm accused of 'playing games which isn't appreciated' another untruth.

We get a ride that's getting good reviews and has a small problem with making some riders sick. I don't think folk are lying about people being sick although statements like "The ride vehicle was literally covered in vomit" is an exaggeration or a person with no real understanding of the word literally. I've read that sick bags are being handed out and asked why I've ignored this from a poster I've told I've no interest in replying to directly anymore. I've not replied to him for the above reason but as he's criticizing me for not replying here's my take on that. It's not good that any attraction has to have sick bags ready for guests, I'm sure Disney didn't want that. I'm not sure what more they want from me about that? When I point out that thrill rides do that and highlight other attractions again I get attacked for shutting down the conversation which is completely untrue. It's like unless I say this ride makes some sick therefore it's a complete failure, they believe I'm glossing over.
If you want to ignore me, ignore me. Refusing to engage with me directly, moving to a different thread, not quoting the post you're responding to, and then posting a detailed rebuttal isn't ignoring me, its simply petty.

And you to continue to lie about what other posters have said. No one accused you of shutting down debate by listing every thrill ride that has ever caused motion sickness. Posters pointed out that that list was simply irrelevant. You've made that claim before and had it refuted before.

doctornick

Some great reviews from happy, excited, paying guests there Mr P, thanks for sharing. I'm sure there'll be some negative reviews also, but looks like people are enjoying it.
My impression is it looks very enjoyable and well received by a large number of guests but there are a certain number of otherwise roller coaster appreciative riders who either won’t enjoy or won’t tolerate the ride. How large that is will be interesting to see.

Given the pretty high capacity for a coaster I’m anticipating this having relatively manageable lines once it is not new and goes the standby.

This certainly looks like a fantastic addition to the park and fills a void. Along with Ratatouille, Epcot has become more well rounded. Need to fix Imagination and add another ride or two to WS but it’s getting there

mergatroid

My impression is it looks very enjoyable and well received by a large number of guests but there are a certain number of otherwise roller coaster appreciative riders who either won’t enjoy or won’t tolerate the ride. How large that is will be interesting to see.

Given the pretty high capacity for a coaster I’m anticipating this having relatively manageable lines once it is not new and goes the standby.

This certainly looks like a fantastic addition to the park and fills a void. Along with Ratatouille, Epcot has become more well rounded. Need to fix Imagination and add another ride or two to WS but it’s getting there
Indeed.

doctornick

I’m particularly curious to see when Touring Plans gets a large number of reviews how this grades out. I see they already have some ratings up but their sample size will surely grow in upcoming weeks. They always seem like a good source for relatively fair and neutral assessments.

@lentesta what is your sense for rider response? Do you have any idea how frequent nausea is an issue or people have not liked the ride?

DoleWhipDrea

Did you have to climb stairs after the opening? I tthought that was part of the gift shop bypass during previews

Ah interesting. For us it was the only option (aside from some handicap elevators, which I didn't want to take up). I have avoided any information about the attraction so I haven't heard of them being a bypass for the gift shop, but due to demand there was a separate line outside of the gift shop to get in.

lewisc

Ah interesting. For us it was the only option (aside from some handicap elevators, which I didn't want to take up). I have avoided any information about the attraction so I haven't heard of them being a bypass for the gift shop, but due to demand there was a separate line outside of the gift shop to get in.
During the previews the gift shop was closed. I thought during normal operations the ride exits through the gift shop.

Royal Purple Pigment

I didn't really feel that the parks were all that busy this past weekend. I was rather surprised considering it was a holiday weekend. Hopefully it is quieter this week and the virtual queues will stay open longer.

Patcheslee

Managed to ride this afternoon with a ILL (we didn’t have park reservations for Epcot so had to hop in the afternoon). The ride is great (however it did make me pretty dizzy).

The loading, however, in the afternoon was a mess. After the second pre-show, the vestibule area gets filled with too many people and people on ECVs. This was downright dangerous when we were loading (for us, from the risk of feet being run over from ECVs) and scary for those on the ECVs because they simply can’t see anything. It definitely needs a bit of a rethink.

We ended up receiving a refund on the ILL as one of our party members has a DAS for sensory issues and was panicking throughout the entire line.

Would still recommend the ride, shame about the queue experience.
I'd be panicking if I walked into that without an exit visible.
As far as loading goes, do CMs physically check restraints on this one or do riders show restraints locked themselves? I'm use to hands up and out of the way for physical checks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom