News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

celluloid

If someone makes an item out of yarns spun together, it is spinning. It is a controlled thing that stops when you are the machine does.
I assume people wash things in machines on a spin cycle that is also controlled.
If you spin a yarn in the sense of a story. That is also spun.
A spider spins a web. Careful and controlled to a design that suits the spider.

Anyone that thinks spinning must only apply to something unpredictable, is against most senses of the word.

This attraction does not spin the same way it is not a rollercoaster but a Story Coaster. In other words, it does not change the fact that the result.

yensidtlaw1969

If someone makes an item out of yarns spun together, it is spinning. It is a controlled thing that stops when you are the machine does.
I assume people wash things in machines on a spin cycle that is also controlled.

Anyone that thinks spinning must only apply to something unpredictable, is against most senses of the word.

This attraction does not spin the same way it is not a rollercoaster but a Story Coaster. In other words, it does not change the fact that the result.
That's not the source of the distinction - it's not about unpredicability, it's about speed. The washing machine calls it the "Spin Cycle" because it's so fast.

Rotation and Spinning suggest the same type of directional motion, but Spinning is faster.

I think we need to prepare to not get caught up in the semantics here, since it's unlikely most people will consider this when sharing their experience of the ride . . . but technically speaking, yes, the ride cars Rotate but do not Spin.

Casper Gutman

That's not the source of the distinction - it's not about unpredicability, it's about speed. The washing machine calls it the "Spin Cycle" because it's so fast.

Rotation and Spinning suggest the same type of directional motion, but Spinning is faster.

I think we need to prepare to not get caught up in the semantics here, since it's unlikely most people will consider this when sharing their experience of the ride . . . but technically speaking, yes, the ride cars Rotate but do not Spin.
I wonder which is worse for motion sickness. It seems like spinning, the more intense activity, would be, but there is (for lack of a better term) a kinetic logic to spinning that the body may understand. Rotating constantly changes the bodies orientation in relation to forward motion and is unaffected by curves and dips. It seems that, in a dark environment, this may actually be more prone to cause motion sickness. I don’t know.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
I wonder which is worse for motion sickness. It seems like spinning, the more intense activity, would be, but there is (for lack of a better term) a kinetic logic to spinning that the body may understand. Rotating constantly changes the bodies orientation in relation to forward motion and is unaffected by curves and dips. It seems that, in a dark environment, this may actually be more prone to cause motion sickness. I don’t know.
I hear everything you write in Sydney Greenstreet's voice, thanks to your picture!

celluloid

Particularly it would likely be made worse by the screens as the part of the brain not lost in the illusion will know those movements are not exactly in synch. This is common on motion simulators and dark rides with screens for some. I think this will be made worse for many just by that fact.
Then there is repetition, which is why many carnival-like flat rides find people sick more often than a well designed rollercoater.

rustincohle

We'll be at WDW from the 14th for two weeks for our honeymoon. I've heard that Disney often give small perks to honeymooners, and wondered if people thought there was any chance we'd get invited on this one during the AP previews? I'm assuming not, and am obviously in no way feeling entitled to that at all - I'm just curious.

And - this has probably been covered already in the thread, sorry - what's the consensus on virtual vs. physical queue when it opens? It'll be the penultimate day of our trip. I'd rather physical as I'll happily get there stupidly early (if anything that helps get us back on UK time!) but if it's virtual we'll have our fastest fingers ready...

No Name

Haha. Good luck on that nomenclature.

If there were spinning, it would be mentioned on the warning sign.

It has nothing to do with controlled or uncontrolled motion, it’s that there’s no repeated rotation or significant g-forces from it. Quite honestly I hate getting stuck on words and it makes no difference to me what someone calls it in any other context, but to people who avoid specific types of rides due to motion sickness it’s a very important distinction.

DCBaker

Premium Member
According to the Park Reservation calendars, Epcot on May 27th is now unavailable for Resort/Ticket guests and APs -

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 4.25.29 PM.png
IMG_66E4A647A940-1.jpeg

mergatroid

I think 'spinning' gives the impression that the vehicle rotates continuously, turning a full 360 degrees. I don't think anyone denies that it changes direction frequently but when describing an amusement park attraction, the word 'spinning' conjures up images of constant turning such as the teacup type rides. I think people are just trying to make the distinction on exactly what movement is involved rather than being argumentative and 'spinning' perhaps to many gives the wrong impression.

Now if moving sideways, backwards and changing direction makes you sick, you probably don't care whether the word 'spinning' is the best choice or not. In that case you're better not riding and nobody is trying to convince you otherwise that I can see?

However if you're ok going sideways, backwards and changing direction but no good on something continually 'spinning' around and around, there maybe more importance in the words used and the impression they give and you'll probably want to try this.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let's say a coaster is has a downward clockwise helix that goes around a vertical pole. Now, there are two scenarios:

A) If the cars did not rotate, in order to see the pole, you would have to look 90 degrees to your right as your car continues moving 'forward and to the right' with regard to the orientation of the car.​
B) Entering the helix, the car rotates 90 degrees to the right (with regard to the track) so that you can now see the vertical pole straight ahead (of the orientation of your car), while the car goes down the helix with motion constantly to the left.​

In either scenario of A) or B)... did you spin?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom