Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

UNCgolf

Also if you've never ridden backwards in the dark before then you might not know whether or not this would affect you?

Anyone who's been on Everest has gone backwards in the dark.

Motion sickness is weird, though. I'd been on Everest several times without feeling even a little bit nauseated, but last time I was on it it made me so sick I spent at least 15 minutes just sitting in front of the fan near the entrance, then slowly made it over to the auditorium seating on the water and lay down for another 15-20 minutes before I felt okay enough to exit the park and get back to the hotel.

The only thing I can think of is that I was on Flight of Passage right before. I felt fine during FoP, but I'm guessing the combination of FoP followed back the backwards motion in Everest in close proximity was too much.

UNCgolf

Heck, my mother is totally fine on Mission: Space orange but can’t do Dinosaur of all things for whatever reason.

Maybe because it's so jerky? That's why Forbidden Journey is unrideable for me. Luckily I actually wasn't very impressed with the content so I don't feel like I'm missing much.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

Motion sickness is weird, though. I'd been on Everest several times without feeling even a little bit nauseated, but last time I was on it it made me so sick I spent at least 15 minutes just sitting in front of the fan near the entrance, then slowly made it over to the auditorium seating on the water and lay down for another 15-20 minutes before I felt okay enough to exit the park and get back to the hotel.

The only thing I can think of is that I was on Flight of Passage right before. I felt fine during FoP, but I'm guessing the combination of FoP followed back the backwards motion in Everest in close proximity was too much.
I have never got motion sickness on any ride ever. Now I have greyed out on a few coasters from the intensity.

EricsBiscuit

- Launched
- Connected by tunnel
- "Gates" throughout

I somehow wouldn't be surprised if the bones of it inspired this. I'll still stand by how SSE should never ever have a coaster placed inside it and would've been a bad move if it did end up happening.
Honestly, after this realization, I’d much rather lose UoE than SSE. Preferably neither obv but if I had to choose, then Disney *gulp* made the right choice (!).

Casper Gutman

I think the problem is the rotating cars, especially turned sideways, and the dark. If people can't get a sense of which way they are going, motion sickness becomes much more likely. The only time I've had motion sickness at an amusement park was on a very dark flat ride which suddenly and unpredictably changed directions along multiple axises. It seems this could be a similar situation.

UNCgolf

I think the problem is the rotating cars, especially turned sideways, and the dark. If people can't get a sense of which way they are going, motion sickness becomes much more likely. The only time I've had motion sickness at an amusement park was on a very dark flat ride which suddenly and unpredictably changed directions along multiple axises. It seems this could be a similar situation.

Oh I'm sure that's the problem on Guardians, and why I doubt I'll be able to ride it without getting sick. Not sure I'll ever even try because I don't think it looks worth getting sick. The person I quoted just specifically mentioned going backwards in the dark and I was pointing out that it already happens on a current Disney ride.

tallica

Exactly my thoughts after riding. Everything happened so fast, it was very disorienting.

Giss Neric

I read a review from one of the CMs where she had no issues with motion sickness on the first run but when she rode it again the cars were stuck in the backwards position and they went through the entire course backwards which made her really sick.

Hawg G

It doesn’t spin. Given the nature of the experience if you eliminated or reduced the rotation it would be worse for those prone to motion sickness.
That's hogwash, we are used to moving forward. To move sideways, or diagonally, in the dark is absolutely going to cause more vertigo than if the cars stayed locked forwards.

Hawg G

I completely agree and the person who says the issue's been 'glossed over' has been extremely critical of this ride. That doesn't mean they don't have a point that some may not be ok riding, however I do wonder whether it's a real concern under these circumstances or may be another way of criticising it?

I will happily concede that being GOTG a lot of young kids will want to ride it and with it being indoors means you don't see it before you ride. This may encourage more youngsters to ride but it's also when parental judgement kicks in. That's beyond Disney's control though and as you say is a 'problem' that already exists elsewhere within Disney and doesn't appear to be a huge issue.
I have NEVER seen so many mentions of nausea for a family roller coaster this early on in its life. You can ignore that fact all you want. Doesn't change anything.

EPCOT-O.G.

I have NEVER seen so many mentions of nausea for a family roller coaster this early on in its life. You can ignore that fact all you want. Doesn't change anything.
Yep. And I don’t know that there’s an easy fix. If it’s disorienting because it’s in the dark, you can’t “turn on the lights” as that spoils the illusion. If it’s because of the rotation/“spin”, you can’t do that, as they have the show scenes built around field of view. I guess you could slow things down?

peter11435

That's hogwash, we are used to moving forward. To move sideways, or diagonally, in the dark is absolutely going to cause more vertigo than if the cars stayed locked forwards.
I said given the nature of the experience. The track and visuals are designed with the intent of the vehicle being oriented a certain way at and given point. If you alter that the chances of motion sickness would increase.

Cmdr_Crimson

After reading about Cosmic Rewind, I’m starting to think it’s going to be a headliner like Hagrid’s (theming) or VelociCoaster (thrill) but for a different reason: it doesn’t feel like a coaster. Would you say this is accurate, and if not, why?
A....Thrilling Dark....Ride?
the-cat-in-the-hat-i-got-nothing.gif

But, many will state it took 40 years (technically 39) to get a coaster in Epcot.
If you think about it the same rotation tech is used on the coaster "oops" sorry tubular steel track for JII and SSE but, much slower.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I have never got motion sickness on any ride ever. Now I have greyed out on a few coasters from the intensity.
That happened to me on the Nitro coaster at Six Flags here in NJ a couple of years ago.
Somewhere near the end, there is a succession of maybe three hills right after each other.
After the second or third, I hit this moment where I was wondering - "Did I just black out for a second?"

Incomudro

A....Thrilling Dark....Ride?
the-cat-in-the-hat-i-got-nothing.gif

But, many will state it took 40 years (technically 39) to get a coaster in Epcot.
If you think about it the same rotation tech is used on the coaster "oops" sorry tubular steel track for JII and SSE but, much slower.
Much slower is the point.
The omnimover like turning towards the high tech visuals, coupled with a smooth coaster, and the music is what makes this ride what it is.

mergatroid

It could have been motion sickness or it could have been something else perhaps? I say that only because you'd ridden FOP and EE before with no problems so it seems odd that you'd suddenly not be able to cope with it. I understand the logic of thinking what made me sick and equating it to FOP and EE having just ridden them, though also could it have been something else?

I once had the exact same symptoms following watching the Indie Stunt show. It was nothing to do with the show (but started just as it finished) and was in fact sun stroke. Probably not in your case, but a possibility?

mergatroid

Well that's fair enough though I'm not sure how I'm ignoring it as I've made several posts already discussing motion sickness and admitted that's a problem for some people. I'm also a person who has no problem with coasters, heights or spinning so my perspective is always slightly skewed in favour of these type of 'thrill rides'. I have also said that my wife won't do any of these type of rides and that there's many people in the same situation as her, so I'm hardly ignoring it?

I've read on here that some of those experiencing it have said that it could cause motion sickness, if this continues with a large percentage of guests then I'd imagine Disney would address it. I seem to remember Mission Space receiving complaints of nausea and Disney addressing that and changing the wording of the warning (along with turning off the spinning on half the simulators). I'm pretty confident though that most people who ride will be fine as anyone with motion sickness problems usually skip rides with warnings as this thread testifies to with many skipping this type of attraction. Once everyday guests start riding it we'll find out for sure. I'd imagine that it will be measured by the number of people who vomit or require assistance following it, those things will either happen or won't and it will probably be judged then based on numbers. Right now though I don't know who's 'glossing over it', I just don't yet see enough complaints to warrant discussion of a major problem that will require dramatic changes. If that alters due to high numbers of incidents then of course it will be addressed and be discussed on here just like anything else.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom