Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

dreday3

I never get nauseous on Everest, but this past trip I felt sick on Everest for the first time. I attributed it to being hot, hungry and having a mask on and while I was screaming (in fun) and it kept getting sucked back in my mouth and I couldn't feel the breeze on my face like normal. (breeze always helps with motion sickness).

But to be safe for next trip, I plan on taking Bonine the night before parks with potentially nauseating rides. :) That stuff works. We were on a very rocky cruise and I never felt even slightly sick. Plus I can have wine while on it and not feel tired.

(nothing against masks at all, just thinking of what was different this time that i felt sick)

mergatroid

I never get nauseous on Everest, but this past trip I felt sick on Everest for the first time. I attributed it to being hot, hungry and having a mask on and while I was screaming (in fun) and it kept getting sucked back in my mouth and I couldn't feel the breeze on my face like normal. (breeze always helps with motion sickness).

But to be safe for next trip, I plan on taking Bonine the night before parks with potentially nauseating rides. :) That stuff works. We were on a very rocky cruise and I never felt even slightly sick. Plus I can have wine while on it and not feel tired.

(nothing against masks at all, just thinking of what was different this time that i felt sick)
Seems quite a lot on this thread are complaining about Everest making them sick, there seems to be as many as those saying Guardians could. Good to hear Bonine helps, probably worth taking it as you say so you can enjoy this attraction.

mergatroid

I think the problem is the rotating cars, especially turned sideways, and the dark. If people can't get a sense of which way they are going, motion sickness becomes much more likely. The only time I've had motion sickness at an amusement park was on a very dark flat ride which suddenly and unpredictably changed directions along multiple axises. It seems this could be a similar situation.
It could be and that would be sad if that were the case, I'm sure we'll find out in the coming weeks. If it's the case then I imagine word will get out that those with motion sickness shouldn't ride, but I'm hoping that's not the case because I can see a lot wanting to ride this.

Jrb1979

It could be and that would be sad if that were the case, I'm sure we'll find out in the coming weeks. If it's the case then I imagine word will get out that those with motion sickness shouldn't ride, but I'm hoping that's not the case because I can see a lot wanting to ride this.
If it is the case that those with motion sickness shouldn't ride i would feel bad for them. At the same time there is no rule that everyone should be able to ride every ride. IMO having a few intense attractions would be good for Disney.

Casper Gutman

If it is the case that those with motion sickness shouldn't ride i would feel bad for them. At the same time there is no rule that everyone should be able to ride every ride. IMO having a few intense attractions would be good for Disney.
It’s not really about intensity. Mission Space almost certainly made a lot more people sick then a really wild coaster, but that’s because it set up a situation in which peoples inner ear and their eyes were telling them different things. GotG could be a similar situation. (Also, no, Disney does not need “intense” attractions - it never has.)

We’ll get a clearer idea about whether WDW has built another Mission Space very shortly. Until then, reports of sickness by people who have ridden the ride isn’t something optimists need to downplay or explain away or something grumps need to make the final measurement of the ride. The reports so far are enough to raise an eyebrow - let’s see what happens.

UNCgolf

It could have been motion sickness or it could have been something else perhaps? I say that only because you'd ridden FOP and EE before with no problems so it seems odd that you'd suddenly not be able to cope with it. I understand the logic of thinking what made me sick and equating it to FOP and EE having just ridden them, though also could it have been something else?

I once had the exact same symptoms following watching the Indie Stunt show. It was nothing to do with the show (but started just as it finished) and was in fact sun stroke. Probably not in your case, but a possibility?

It was definitely motion sickness.

I've had heat stroke before too, but it wasn't nearly hot enough for it when this motion sickness happened on Everest -- it was in the low 70s.

EPCOT-O.G.

It’s not really about intensity. Mission Space almost certainly made a lot more people sick then a really wild coaster, but that’s because it set up a situation in which peoples inner ear and their eyes were telling them different things. GotG could be a similar situation. (Also, no, Disney does not need “intense” attractions - it never has.)

We’ll get a clearer idea about whether WDW has built another Mission Space very shortly. Until then, reports of sickness by people who have ridden the ride isn’t something optimists need to downplay or explain away or something grumps need to make the final measurement of the ride. The reports so far are enough to raise an eyebrow - let’s see what happens.
I’d be curious how they could correct this, given the spinning/rotation is part of the orientation of the ride.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
When are we expecting our first POV’s of this? Is their going to be some kind of grand opening ceremony as well for media?

mergatroid

They already have them at Disney, attractions a lot of people won't ride for various reasons. There's a load of guests who already avoid EE, Space M & Splash M, BTM, TT, RnR, TOT and even the several motion simulators. Every single day a percentage of guests can't or won't ride those attractions and we manage to live with it. I wouldn't call saying that 'downplaying it' or 'glossing over it' like others have said, rather being realistic.

I remember reading how many people would faint or suffocate on the Skyliner before it operated on here, that never really transpired though once it opened? I've seen a guy throw up on Space Mountain and my friend have a panic attack on TOT. I also saw a chap have real problems on 20,000 Leagues with what I could only guess to be claustrophobia, they had to let him off. They'll have to judge this on numbers to see whether this is an issue or not. It's not designed to make people ill, though it is designed to be thrilling and exciting. There's a sweet spot they're aiming for where they try to warn people who are wary not to ride and hope those who feel up to it, don't get sick when they do. What that point is I've no idea but like every other potential motion sickness attraction in every park, we'll soon find out.

Last edited:

mergatroid

I’d be curious how they could correct this, given the spinning/rotation is part of the orientation of the ride.
I don't think they'll change anything, it's been designed and built where it operates the way it does to make all the effects work. All they could do is say ride knowing this can cause motion sickness and let people decide themselves.

Magic Feather

I'm not sure how the potential motion sickness convo has gone on this long. My baseline for "attractions that are so notorious for motion sickness to the point where it can hurt the public's appreciation of it" is limited entirely to Forbidden Journey and Simpsons/BttF (EDIT: And Mission: Space). As long as Guardians doesn't even come close to that, which by the sound of it, it doesn't, motion sickness on the ride shouldn't particularly be considered a problem.

EPCOT-O.G.

I don't think they'll change anything, it's been designed and built where it operates the way it does to make all the effects work. All they could do is say ride knowing this can cause motion sickness and let people decide themselves.
I don’t think they will because I don’t think they can. At least in the Mission: Space example, they were able to create a separate experience with slower centrifuges. I don’t believe any such easy fix is in the offing if they have to make changes here.

mergatroid

I don’t think they will because I don’t think they can. At least in the Mission: Space example, they were able to create a separate experience with slower centrifuges. I don’t believe any such easy fix is in the offing if they have to make changes here.
That's pretty much what I said using different words as my reply to you was, we agree. First thing will be to find out how much of an issue it is, it could be big or small.

YodaMan

I'm not sure how the potential motion sickness convo has gone on this long. My baseline for "attractions that are so notorious for motion sickness to the point where it can hurt the public's appreciation of it" is limited entirely to Forbidden Journey and Simpsons/BttF (EDIT: And Mission: Space). As long as Guardians doesn't even come close to that, which by the sound of it, it doesn't, motion sickness on the ride shouldn't particularly be considered a problem.

Obviously to each their own, but the only rides I’ve ever struggled on in Orlando are Mission: Space Orange and the last portion of Incredible Hulk, and Cosmic Rewind made me feel like absolute death both times.

mergatroid

I suppose it goes on as long as people want to talk about it. It will either be a problem or it won't and time will tell? I'm expecting it to be little different to a number of other rides but no worse, if I'm wrong and it's a big problem I'll hold my hands up.

UNCgolf

I don't think it's surprising we're still discussing it -- a limited number of people have been on it and several have complained about motion sickness. It's not like this is all hypothetical.

Once there's a wider base of riders (i.e. when it's actually open to the general public), it'll be easier to draw conclusions about how bad it actually is. As you said, I doubt it will hit Forbidden Journey/Simpsons levels, but it could still be an issue.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If only four out of ten become physically ill or psychologically traumatized, then, we're good to go!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom