Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

No Name

So, some opening day thoughts.

1. Cast Members were talking about the lack of opening ceremonies with us, and attributed it to management being scared of guest reactions. I instantly had flashbacks to Chapek being ushered off Main Street on the 50th.

2. Zach was walking around the area, taking pictures and overall being a "celebrity", however you take that information is up to you. Funnily enough, the rest of WDI was together, greeting guests. Zach was the only one wandering around and not speaking to his coworkers.

3. The morning had a severe lack of crowds. I was in line at the toll plaza at 4 AM for the 50th with well over 300 cars. Same with Rise of the Resistance. Today at 7 AM, there were barely 70 of us in front of the turnstiles. Every toll lane open, every cast member in position. Not a soul in sight.

4. Guest reactions to the ride were stale at best. More people seemed to be interested in taking pictures and leaving. That was about it. The Starbucks line was longer than the line for the Creations merch. People would pick up the commemorative stuff, talk about it, and set it back down. Resellers had their usual buckets and strollers present.

5. Besides Zach and a couple WDI team members, nobody of importance was present. No Jeff Vahle, no Kartika Rodriguez, no Josh D'amaro. Just a bunch of shift leaders and WDI Interns.

It felt almost somber or confused. Zach was delivering his consistently vague answers, especially thise regarding Future World West and "Play!". Overall, the morning felt dull and uncertain. Not the opening fanfare I think an EPCOT addition deserved.
They had an opening ceremony of sorts like 4 weeks before the ride opened, which has never happened before, so I imagine that’s part of why they didn’t have another.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
They had an opening ceremony of sorts like 4 weeks before the ride opened, which has never happened before, so I imagine that’s part of why they didn’t have another.

Just to add to that, they did the same with MMRR, an Opening Ceremony / Event with Media / Invited guests, nothing for regular GP on opening day.

The GOTG:CR Opening Ceremony was a few weeks ago now.
Exactly, even on the 50th anniversary. That's why everyone is speaking of management being scared. I'm simply saying the lack of ANY sort of event to mark the occasion made it feel jarring. Even something small would have added to the atmosphere.

James J

In the Parks
No
4. Guest reactions to the ride were stale at best. More people seemed to be interested in taking pictures and leaving. That was about it. The Starbucks line was longer than the line for the Creations merch. People would pick up the commemorative stuff, talk about it, and set it back down. Resellers had their usual buckets and strollers present.

I rode a couple of hours ago and my experience was the total opposite of this. It's the most fun I've had on a ride at WDW and easily jumps into my top 3, and I could hear other guests saying similar things as we all exited. The Creations shop was packed around the Guardians merchandise too - CM's were rushing around re-stocking items around all of the guests.

Whilst the queue to get in to Creations had disappeared by early afternoon, when we first walked by around 10am it was most certainly longer than the queue for Starbucks...

mergatroid

I rode a couple of hours ago and my experience was the total opposite of this. It's the most fun I've had on a ride at WDW and easily jumps into my top 3, and I could hear other guests saying similar things as we all exited. The Creations shop was packed around the Guardians merchandise too - CM's were rushing around re-stocking items around all of the guests.

Whilst the queue to get in to Creations had disappeared by early afternoon, when we first walked by around 10am it was most certainly longer than the queue for Starbucks...
Great to hear, sounds like you and others really enjoyed the ride.

Epcot82Guy

Sadly that's likely the resellers. Not saying that to impact or color your impressions of the ride at all. Rather just highlighting the sad reality of modern Disney merch.

Incomudro

Yeah, I flat out don't believe the "stale" reaction comment.
People don't exit the most basic of coasters with a stale reaction.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Great to hear, sounds like you and others really enjoyed the ride.

Yeah, I flat out don't believe the "stale" reaction comment.
People don't exit the most basic of coasters with a stale reaction.
I don't mean for it to be taken as me saying I or others don't like the ride. It's incredible and easily one of my favorites of all time. That said this morning's reactions variably different from previews. Maybe my point wasn't executed well.

DoleWhipDrea

I’ve seen some pretty positive reviews from people I follow on social media.

To those who have ridden both... is this comparable to the Mummy?

The Mummy (UO) is significantly more intense and rough than GotG:CW. I agree with Disney calling Guardians a "family coaster" but it is more thrilling than I thought it would be. The ride itself is very smooth and a lot of fun! Honestly the only thing that I felt was a poor design choice (besides not making a design statement with the big blue building) was placing a flight of stairs for guests to climb after all the spinning...it should have been an escalator. I don't recommend going on this ride with a full stomach, and if you get easily nauseous it might be a good idea to take some Dramamine ahead of time.

This is by far the most efficient loading area for a coaster that I've seen. I think Ops and WDI really communicated with each other on its design. There's even a secondary line by the front of the vehicles to wait for the front row. Everything moves well and there's enough space for everyone to be comfortable.

For anyone that has experienced Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy at Disneyland, I feel that this is the evolution of that idea but with the ability to design around it, and it works very well! I generally don't like attractions that heavily rely on screens but in this instance I feel that it was the right choice here. While it would have been lovely to see some dinos get repurposed for this, I don't think it would have worked. Here's hoping that the WDWRR gets a bit of an expansion ala Disneyland with it's own Primeval World!

As for edutainment...there's a little in the planetarium part of the queue with a voiceover, and of course the reference of "The Big Bang." The queue feels like it was scaled down to utilize more screen/projection technology (as a side-note, perhaps it was just a similar-looking actor, but I swear they put Bob Chapek's image as one of the notable citizens they flip through.)

Overall it's a delightful attraction with great moments of laughter and thrill, and I can't wait to ride it again. Hopefully I will get into the shop sometime soon (there was quite a line for both that and Creations.)

Managed to ride this afternoon with a ILL (we didn’t have park reservations for Epcot so had to hop in the afternoon). The ride is great (however it did make me pretty dizzy).

The loading, however, in the afternoon was a mess. After the second pre-show, the vestibule area gets filled with too many people and people on ECVs. This was downright dangerous when we were loading (for us, from the risk of feet being run over from ECVs) and scary for those on the ECVs because they simply can’t see anything. It definitely needs a bit of a rethink.

We ended up receiving a refund on the ILL as one of our party members has a DAS for sensory issues and was panicking throughout the entire line.

Would still recommend the ride, shame about the queue experience.

Attachments

• 499DB51D-6802-4CD9-AD4F-F246FB7DECEF.jpeg
    499DB51D-6802-4CD9-AD4F-F246FB7DECEF.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 119

TrojanUSC

Managed to ride this afternoon with a ILL (we didn’t have park reservations for Epcot so had to hop in the afternoon). The ride is great (however it did make me pretty dizzy).

The loading, however, in the afternoon was a mess. After the second pre-show, the vestibule area gets filled with too many people and people on ECVs. This was downright dangerous when we were loading (for us, from the risk of feet being run over from ECVs) and scary for those on the ECVs because they simply can’t see anything. It definitely needs a bit of a rethink.

We ended up receiving a refund on the ILL as one of our party members has a DAS for sensory issues and was panicking throughout the entire line.

Would still recommend the ride, shame about the queue experience.

It's a shame Disney is so insistent on merging LL with stand-by before preshows. Universal does a better job at having Express go all the way to the loading platform.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom