GM and Test Track

kimmychad

I highly doubt that GM would cease to exist (or Chrysler for that matter). If that were to happen, I think my entire home State would instantly collapse:eek:. Whether they continue sponsorship, who knows? :shrug: If the contract was up in 1997 with Disney, then have they been funding this pavillion at all? How much does it truly cost to fund TT? What would GM be responsible for financially (cost of staffing CMs, maintainence, repairs?)? And if they are still supporting it financially, where does this money come from, advertising budget? Seriously, does anyone know?

well GMs shares are 2.95 each now, and are projected to be worthless by the end of the year, so I wouldn't count on them lasting forever.

WIX

I would just truly hope that if Disney and GM did cut ties that a new sponsor would be and American company.

You do know that all of the Honda's, Toyota's and Nissan's here in America are built and assembled right here in America??? By American's!!!! The parts are shipped here, but good old American's . . . thousand's of them . . . build these cars.

hpyhnt 1000

You do know that all of the Honda's, Toyota's and Nissan's here in America are built and assembled right here in America??? By American's!!!! The parts are shipped here, but good old American's . . . thousand's of them . . . build these cars.

Yep, its true. Its getting to the point that the "foreign" companies are more American than the "American" companies. :brick:We just bought a new Toyota, and the only thing that wasn't built here was the transmission. That came from Japan; everything else was made/assembled right here in the U.S. of A. :shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I would not want to see the look on my 5 year old's face if I told him there would no longer be a test track!!! This is his very fave ride--- it would not be a pretty sight. This kid puts his hands up on everything and wants to go faster and faster. Oh please don't go away TT!!!
TT isn`t going anywhere. It may just take a little longer to do some modifications that are planned.

eddy21

T.T is probably the most expensive ride Disney has from a maintainance point.I am sure they would find a new auto sponsor if GM goes away. I have heard they have a new car shell in a crate that will be an additional car for the ride. Same style just an extra.

Captain Hank

T.T is probably the most expensive ride Disney has from a maintainance point.I am sure they would find a new auto sponsor if GM goes away. I have heard they have a new car shell in a crate that will be an additional car for the ride. Same style just an extra.
I'd be very surprised if it were just one extra. Disney typically hangs on to several spares of anything that would likely wear out.

eddy21

I'd be very surprised if it were just one extra. Disney typically hangs on to several spares of anything that would likely wear out.
They have more than enough cars it's just to make up for cars under repair and there are always 2 cars out for annuals rebuilds.

bfbulldog

Honda has been a big sponsor at Disneyland for several years now. Honda has a great exhibit in Innoventions with their Asimo robot show, and Honda sponsors Grad Nites each year and puts out cars and motorbikes for the kids to sit in and test out during Grad Nite. Honda also has car displays out in the Esplanade between Disneyland and DCA.

Honda has been a great fit for Disneyland, and could work in Epcot too. But then very few people in Southern California buy or drive General Motors vehicles, or really anything from the Detroit automakers. Japanese, Korean and European makes are much more popular in SoCal, so that's why Honda is such a perfect fit for Disneyland.

But the tourists from the Midwest who visit WDW might have a harder time seeing Honda sponsor a big Epcot pavilion. But then if GM and Chrysler go bankrupt and cease to exist, I don't know how they could find fault with automakers who actually succeed in business, make a decent profit, and sell products people actually want to buy. :lol:

:hammer: I'm truly astounded at the complete lack of knowledge being displayed here. GM is not going to cease to exist. They don't make cars people want? Are you serious?? GM is the #1 automaker in the US, and has traded with Toyota for #1 globally the last two years so please give me a break. The number 1 thru 10 reason they're in trouble has nothing to do with not selling cars they're #1 or 2 globally, so that's just ridiculous, no they're hurting because of the union contracts that are crushing them to dust. Very, very few of the foreign outfits are unionized so they don't have these problems. Second it's well documented that the Japanese government heavily subsidizes and imposes protectionist tactics to protect their auto industry. Look it up Toyota invested a tiny fraction of the development costs for the technology of the Prius. So please, come to the discussion with facts.

Oh yeah, Southern California doesn't drive domestics? Are you serious? These people are the biggest bunch of lemmings and followers on the face of the planet. They couldn't make an independent decision to save their lives.

Once the initial building and ride system are paid for where is the expense? It seems most of the expense would be the CMs and the electric bill. A dark ride would not wear out like a thrill ride would becuase the forces are not there, although TT is partly a thrill ride. I would think Pirates of the Caribbean would be expensive, though, anything that involves water I would think needs a lot of care.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
:hammer: I'm truly astounded at the complete lack of knowledge being displayed here. GM is not going to cease to exist.

Maybe not but they're going to be SERIOUSLY hurting very quickly, or haven't you heard that they're losing $2-3 Billion per month and only have about $16 Billion in reserve left, do the math and that's not much time left.

WDW1974

74, this goes way past glass half empty into downright crazy talk.

Ride it, EE!

BTW, 74, you need an avatar.

No, I just truly find TT, while fun, to be the most overrated attraction at WDW.

Too much very black warehouse empty space that used to have eleborate setpieces and AAs.

The effects aren't that great ... and the climax is simply what everyone can see, the loop around the building (out over CM areas as well in back) at speeds building to 65 MPH.

Is it fun? Sure, it can be.

As to an avatar? No way. No how. Never. Not happening.

One of the things I enjoy greatly about posting on anotherdisneyplace.com is that the boards are very simple. They are for discussion with no avatars, crazy sigs, smilies and the like.

While that stuff can be fun, IMHO it also clogs things up and takes the focus off what should be the main things -- the actual discussion.

So, I'll never have an avatar. And I am quite :) about that!

WDW1974

Might I suggest this attractive model:

rx1676_6bfi8bfk8efkkn8zfi8tyfhxxxxxx8u9fji87fdk8atfb9cw8tufhxxxxxx.jpg

Very, very funny ... look :ROFLOL:I'm rolling on the floor laughing ... and btw, without alcohol or drugs who actually ever rolls on the floor laughing?

Just wondering ...

WDW1974

Thats interesting because I was also at Epcot Center that day along with Michael Eisner.

That's even more interesting since I got to speak with him briefly that night prior to him taking the terrace near Rose and Crown to usher in Y2K.

Are you really Jane Eisner?

Figment1986

As to an avatar? No way. No how. Never. Not happening.

One of the things I enjoy greatly about posting on anotherdisneyplace.com is that the boards are very simple. They are for discussion with no avatars, crazy sigs, smilies and the like.

While that stuff can be fun, IMHO it also clogs things up and takes the focus off what should be the main things -- the actual discussion.

So, I'll never have an avatar. And I am quite :) about that!

yet you do use smilies when you can :drevil: though I do agree about simplicity, since that fits you so much... that and I doubt you would find much of anything appropriate for your tastes and opinions. :lookaroun

TP2000

Its getting to the point that the "foreign" companies are more American than the "American" companies. :brick:We just bought a new Toyota, and the only thing that wasn't built here was the transmission. That came from Japan; everything else was made/assembled right here in the U.S. of A. :shrug:

Yup. I have a Toyota Tacoma that was built in a Toyota factory here in California. By Californians. Who live and work and pay state and federal taxes here in California.

Compared to the new Chevy Camaro everyone is talking about that will be built in Canada, by Canadians who don't happen to be Americans. Or a Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan or Lincoln MKZ that are all built in Mexico, by Mexicans who don't happen to be Americans. Or a Dodge Challenger or Charger or Magnum, or Chrysler 300 that are all built in Canada, by more Canadians who don't happen to be Americans. Or a Pontiac G8 sedan that are all built in Australia, by more Australians who aren't American. Or the Saturn Astra all built in Belgium, or the Chevrolet Aveo all built in South Korea, or the Chevrolet Impala and Equinox all built in Canada, the Chevrolet Avalanche and Cadillac Escalade built in Mexico, the Lincoln Town Car and Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis all built in Canada, the upcoming Pontiac G3 built in South Korea, the upcoming Ford Fiesta built in Mexico (naturally), the upcoming Pontiac Sport Truck built in Australia, and on and on and on.... :ROFLOL:

But all of the Toyotas and Hondas I've owned that have been built here in America by Americans have worked great for me. Fantastic cars and trucks! And Honda Motors might be a good sponsor at WDW eventually, just as they have been a good sponsor in Disneyland's Tomorrowland for several years. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom