GM and Test Track

maxime29

Premium Member
I could see someone like Volkswagen sponsoring the pavilion. They are the GM of Europe with as many car manufacturers under the AG.

Scar Junior

I would like to see the post show area have info on cars of tomorrow, such as electric, solar, hydrogen fuel cell and such. They may not be practical in the near future, or distant future, but it would be something neat. The sponsor could also show their new concept cars, after they are unveiled at the big auto shows each year.
I would think that if GM files for bankruptcy they might still look at sponsoring the ride, as it is an advertising cost. I'm not sure what they spend each year TT, but a commercial during the Super Bowl cost millions.

I agree, it would be very cool. Perhaps there could be some branding benefits as well, but the main point of the post show (as the sponsor sees it) is a showroom that will entice people to purchase current models.

Think about it, you get millions of potential consumers walking through your show room with the option of climbing in and sitting behind the wheel of your product.

... the future of cars is a great concept but doesn't help GM sell a car within the next 6 months. This is the reason for the sponsorship...

bugsbunny

GM might want to add to the end of TT a pamphlet explaining how they intend to keep the company in business. That's assuming they dont pull sponsership since they don't appear to have two nickels to rub together. I'm pretty close to buying a Silverado 2500HD so I can pull a 5th wheel trailer, but do I want to spend $40K+ on a truck that I'm going to wonder if the truck is going to out last the company I bought it from?

And what else can I buy? A Ford or a Dodge HD? They don't look like they are doing any better. Ford stock was trading for something like $1.30 a share the other day! And no other car/truck manufacturer makes an HD style pickup that can tow a 5th wheel trailer. How else am I going to get my trailer to Ft. Wilderness?? :ROFLOL:

TP2000

And what else can I buy? A Ford or a Dodge HD? They don't look like they are doing any better.

Go ahead and buy the Chevy. The dealer will probably be so desperate for sales that you'll get a good deal. And the worst case scenario is that GM enters Chapter 11 after Christmas, and then goes Chapter 7 by the end of '09 and disappears entirely. But there are so many existing mechanics and infrastructure around that you'll be able to get decent parts and service for another decade or more on a Chevy vehicle, even if GM disolves completely.

If anything, vibrant new businesses and companies will spring up to service the existing fleet of tens of millions of GM vehicles in America. From the ashes of failure always spring the growth of new opportunities. That's the beauty of American free enterprise.

I say let GM fail and go bankrupt, they deserve everything they have created for themselves for the last 25 years. And how dare they blame their current position on the events of the last 60 days! They've dug themselves into their hole for decades, and they dare try to blame a short term situation for their long term problem and mismanagement! Typical Detroit arrogance and ignorance!

So go ahead and pick off a new Chevy truck today for a steal of a price from a panicky dealership. You will be fine!

I say let GM fail and go bankrupt, they deserve everything they have created for themselves for the last 25 years. And how dare they blame their current position on the events of the last 60 days! They've dug themselves into their hole for decades, and they dare try to blame a short term situation for their long term problem and mismanagement! Typical Detroit arrogance and ignorance!

So go ahead and pick off a new Chevy truck today for a steal of a price from a panicky dealership. You will be fine!

I have to agree, no bailout for the auto companies. Yes, people will be unemployed but I think that is used more as a threat and a scare. Oh, but people won't be able to afford Disney vacations. Meanwhile, is TT really so expensive Disney can't afford it on its own? Will it become boarded up? Another question - Disney can afford Carosel of Progress, is that ride as much high maintainence?

epcotWSC

I like this attraction, but I'd love a bit of a change. The fast part is great, the beginning is a bit boring. I'd love to maybe take out some of the beginning, then when it's going really fast (top speed), it screeches the breaks to slow down because of an obstacle (swerving and stuff), goes around it and then proceeds to pick up speed again to go to the finish. Maybe make it a bit more windy too.

That probably won't happen though. Either way I doubt a drop in sponsorship would change much. Maybe change the queue and the exit. I'm sure they can find someone to sponsor it once things turn around for the economy.

TP2000

I have to agree, no bailout for the auto companies. Meanwhile, is TT really so expensive Disney can't afford it on its own? Will it become boarded up? Another question - Disney can afford Carosel of Progress, is that ride as much high maintainence?

It's very doubtful TT would close if/when General Motors goes bye-bye in 2009. The Carousel of Progress is an excellent analogy. It didn't close when General Electric pulled its sponsorship in the 1980's. Similarly, America Sings (another huge revolving theater animatronic show) at Disneyland also didn't close when Del Monte pulled its sponsorship in the 1980's. Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland was originally sponsored by AT&T, but now is no longer sponsored and continues to operate in tip-top shape at Disneyland.

It's A Small World at Disneyland was sponsored by Bank of America from 1966 to the late 1980's, then no one for several years, then Mattell in the 90's, and now no one for the past 10 years, and yet it still operates and is opening in a few days from a massive 10 month long refurbishment. Without a sponsor.

My hunch is that the sponsorship deals aren't quite as lucrative long term as we may think they are. I bet GM put some money up front in '82 to get World of Motion developed and opened and keep the lounge staffed each year, and then put money up front to remake it into Test Track in the mid 90's.

But aside from cycling in some new Buick's that no one really wants to buy in the post-show, I bet the yearly cost on keeping the GM logo lit on the side of the building is far less than the millions many of us imagine. :rolleyes:

wvdisneyfamily

I was watching the news this morning and thinking about this very situation. How can they rationalize a bailout for GM when it obviously has enough free income to sponsor Test Track? Can (or would) the stipulation be made that GM must stop all spending in this manner in order to get the money? I know that this is technically advertising, but I'm curious as to see how this one pans out.

EPCOT Explorer

In the Single Rider Line?

Really, 120 Min. Single Rider Line EVERY TIME you went?

And no, it's too late. You gotta' ride alone if you hafta MR. "EXPLORER".
:lol:

:p

:wave:
1998-Was too short
2000-Was too short
2006-No FP 120 mins
2007-101
2008-101/No FP 120 mins.

and I EXPLORE (D) EPCOT not Epcot.:fork::lol::lol:

Mister, SERVO.;):lol:

EpcotServo

But you see my predicament now, correct?

Not really.

On one of the very first nights of sneek previews in December of 1998, we braved the chilling cold of one of Florida's coldest days snaking outside the former World of Motion building in a 3 hour line, JUST so we could see WDI's long-awaited Test Track for the first time. Even me, a total scaredy-cat at the time, waited the entire evening to ride it. (You know the giant canopy? Well before Fastpass that was side to side switchbacks for as far as the eye could see.) All just so we could be hurled areound at 65MPH in the CHILLING WINDS. Cut to 2005. We waited outside the plain blue gate behind Imagination for four hours sitting on the dirty ground JUST because we heard that there was an unlikely, possibly, JUST MAYBE, there MIGHT be a SLIM CHANCE that they'd take guests into Soarin' at EPCOT for the first time. Our patenice payed off.

No, I can't understand NOT waiting in a long line for something we HAVEN'T done. I will wait in ANY line if it is a ride I haven't been on. It's just something we were born to do.

Something we were MADE to do.

"The good stuff".

In short, "In MY day we waited in line and we were PROUD to do it!"

EPCOT Explorer

Not really.

On one of the very first nights of sneek previews in December of 1998, we braved the chilling cold of one of Florida's coldest days snaking outside the former World of Motion building in a 3 hour line, JUST so we could see WDI's long-awaited Test Track for the first time. Even me, a total scaredy-cat at the time, waited the entire evening to ride it. (You know the giant canopy? Well before Fastpass that was side to side switchbacks for as far as the eye could see.) All just so we could be hurled areound at 65MPH in the CHILLING WINDS. Cut to 2005. We waited outside the plain blue gate behind Imagination for four hours sitting on the dirty ground JUST because we heard that there was an unlikely, possibly, JUST MAYBE, there MIGHT be a SLIM CHANCE that they'd take guests into Soarin' at EPCOT for the first time. Our patenice payed off.

No, I can't understand NOT waiting in a long line for something we HAVEN'T done. I will wait in ANY line if it is a ride I haven't been on. It's just something we were born to do.

Something we were MADE to do.

"The good stuff".

In short, "In MY day we waited in line and we were PROUD to do it!"
You are insufferable, do you know that?:mad::lol::lol:

You and your high and mighty AP's!:fork::lol::lol::lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom