GM and Test Track

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Visited Test Track Monday and Tuesday of this week. Saw something odd on Monday that could be attributed to several factors.

There was a crew filming in the morning around Test Track. I saw them in two locations (front entrance, by the big sign; inside the loop out back during the ride), and both times noticed that efforts were made to ensure the GM logo did not appear in the shot (covered up the logo on the sign in front -- moved the cars out back).

Perhaps they are readying promotional video for the ride for if/when GM is not the sponsor? Or perhaps they were just filming for a project in which the GM logo should not appear (Xmas parade whose telecast is sponsored by Toyota, or something like that). Speculate as you see fit.

preludevtec01

Ive read this whole thread from start to now. I must say I love TT. Myself, I hope Honda will pick up the ride. However I truely just hope the ride itself stays for years to come.

Mich - That's very interesting news!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Given Honda have just pulled out of F1 to save money, despite gaining huge prestige for its engines, why would they want to be linked to a theme park attraction notorious for its unreliability? :shrug:

Would be nice, especially with a make over. Just cant see it.

DisneyMusician2

Given Honda have just pulled out of F1 to save money, despite gaining huge prestige for its engines, why would they want to be linked to a theme park attraction notorious for its unreliability? :shrug:

Would be nice, especially with a make over. Just cant see it.

Gotta agree, sadly.

This may go as another sponsorless pavillion at Epcot, but I could see taking the ride down for a month and removing the obvious GM signage.

Of course, it may not survive without a good sponsor....

disneymoc

So when the sponsorship does end, what happens with all of that empty space in the post-show area? Without a sponsor, is there anything to put there?

hpyhnt 1000

Gotta agree, sadly.

This may go as another sponsorless pavillion at Epcot, but I could see taking the ride down for a month and removing the obvious GM signage.

Of course, it may not survive without a good sponsor....

Before Soarin, this attraction was many a guest's reason to come to Epcot. Even today, Test Track still gives Soarin' a healthy run for its money when it comes to most popular attraction at Epcot. Sponsor or no sponsor, no way Disney closes Test Track in the near future.

fizz03

If Detroit really does have electric and hydrogen powered cars available to consumers now like the Prius and the Clarity, they do a lousy job of letting people know. All I saw at the LA Auto Show this year from them were giant new trucks and big muscle cars with V8 engines. Honda and Toyota had amazing future energy displays as a contrast.

".

Sorry TP2000....I was just reading back through this post and I'm a bit confused. I realize that this entire thread is based on whether or not GM will continue to sponsor Test Track with their current financial situation. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled out at this point as I'm sure many others are, but would be sad to see TT go away if that ended up being the case. But when I read about how unhappy you were with the vehicles you saw at the LA Auto Show, I was rather confused. I work for a company that works closely with General Motors on all of their Auto Shows and was partially responsible for making sure what they selected was at the show. Looking back at what we had displayed, I can't seem to find that many "big muscle cars with V8 engines" or "giant new trucks", as you say in your post. Did you spend that much time in their display? As we all know, they scaled back a lot this year in LA. But the fuel economy message is still a big one and all of the upper management I worked with was pretty conscious not to load that show (or any for that matter) up with a bunch of stuff that only gets 10 MPG.

Also, is the new Honda Clarity even available for purchase yet? According to their website, they had a limited release for the first production models and were only available if you applied and were living in the SoCal area. They are running a similar drive program to the Chevrolet Equinox Hydrogen vehicle - which was also display at the LA Auto Show. The Equinox program has been up and running for well over a year.

Either way, not trying to turn this into a US Automaker v. Foreign debate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom