GM and Test Track

waltsbiggestfan

The Toyota Corolla, for example, is made in the United States by union members, but the Canadian model is made in a nonunion plant and other models are imported from a third country and this is just an example all are made everywhere. The big problem is where the money goes in the end. US owned stays here and just ask local honda bike plant where the money went to build and open a new plant to shut this US Honda plant down? As to how well built I don't see it friends of mine brag about getting 100000 miles on a toyota honda etc. I say thats it just in my family between fords and chevys we have three over 150000 and two with just over 200000 and still going have a friend that just got rid of a dodge with 300000.Disney needs US auto as well as they need Disney to show the people they have faith in the country. I just read a wall street report that said if GM OR Ford would fall all auto plants in the US would also fall like dominos thus most shops etc. Disney included.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
. I just read a wall street report that said if GM OR Ford would fall all auto plants in the US would also fall like dominos thus most shops etc. Disney included.

While its impact would be significant, the simple head count even allowing for those who work in support sectors of the auto industry dont support this theory. Look at the now almost totally defunct UK car industry. To me smells like scaremongering by someone looking for a bank type hand out. GMs problems are more to do with poor vehicles and bad management.

waltsbiggestfan

While I think also the money hand out is in on this also its not poor autos.Toyota has had the biggest recall ever even more than the big three combined . I myself work in a plant that provides products to all walks of life from food to auto.We do support the sectors you refer to and I will tell you they have supported this theory 100%.Will give a small example with the auto companys cutbacks and layoffs one of the biggest bearing companys have cut half of all bearing productions and half of the workers are getting layed off.Here is where it fans out now not as many trucks in and out of the plants now they get layoff..to make the story short like I said earlier where I work we supply from the food industry to auto and just in the time from the auto cutbacks we have lost 50% of our work across the board all linked to the auto companys. This is tuff times but America will pull through.

MousDad

Yup. I have a Toyota Tacoma that was built in a Toyota factory here in California. By Californians. Who live and work and pay state and federal taxes here in California.

Compared to the new Chevy Camaro everyone is talking about that will be built in Canada, by Canadians who don't happen to be Americans. Or a Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan or Lincoln MKZ that are all built in Mexico, by Mexicans who don't happen to be Americans. Or a Dodge Challenger or Charger or Magnum, or Chrysler 300 that are all built in Canada, by more Canadians who don't happen to be Americans. Or a Pontiac G8 sedan that are all built in Australia, by more Australians who aren't American. Or the Saturn Astra all built in Belgium, or the Chevrolet Aveo all built in South Korea, or the Chevrolet Impala and Equinox all built in Canada, the Chevrolet Avalanche and Cadillac Escalade built in Mexico, the Lincoln Town Car and Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis all built in Canada, the upcoming Pontiac G3 built in South Korea, the upcoming Ford Fiesta built in Mexico (naturally), the upcoming Pontiac Sport Truck built in Australia, and on and on and on.... :ROFLOL:

But all of the Toyotas and Hondas I've owned that have been built here in America by Americans have worked great for me. Fantastic cars and trucks! And Honda Motors might be a good sponsor at WDW eventually, just as they have been a good sponsor in Disneyland's Tomorrowland for several years. :D

You get a free merge in that Tacoma? :D

bfbulldog

Yup. I have a Toyota Tacoma that was built in a Toyota factory here in California. By Californians. Who live and work and pay state and federal taxes here in California.

Compared to the new Chevy Camaro everyone is talking about that will be built in Canada, by Canadians who don't happen to be Americans. Or a Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan or Lincoln MKZ that are all built in Mexico, by Mexicans who don't happen to be Americans. Or a Dodge Challenger or Charger or Magnum, or Chrysler 300 that are all built in Canada, by more Canadians who don't happen to be Americans. Or a Pontiac G8 sedan that are all built in Australia, by more Australians who aren't American. Or the Saturn Astra all built in Belgium, or the Chevrolet Aveo all built in South Korea, or the Chevrolet Impala and Equinox all built in Canada, the Chevrolet Avalanche and Cadillac Escalade built in Mexico, the Lincoln Town Car and Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis all built in Canada, the upcoming Pontiac G3 built in South Korea, the upcoming Ford Fiesta built in Mexico (naturally), the upcoming Pontiac Sport Truck built in Australia, and on and on and on.... :ROFLOL:

But all of the Toyotas and Hondas I've owned that have been built here in America by Americans have worked great for me. Fantastic cars and trucks! And Honda Motors might be a good sponsor at WDW eventually, just as they have been a good sponsor in Disneyland's Tomorrowland for several years. :D

How simplistic. Toyota's total US payroll is $1.14 billion, GM's is $8 billion? So I guess GM must be making a couple cars here.

What matters is where the profits go? Do the profits of foreign owned companies stay in the US. Absolutely not. They are sent straight back to the home countries of the manufacturers. These are the same manufacturers who enjoy unbelievable protections implemented specifically to stifle competition not to mention the subsidies they receive from their governments. So in the end what we should care about is the transfer of wealth from America to other countries, which is never in our best interests.

Or better yet, let's go ahead and put the same protections and subsidies in place for domestic companies that the foreign companies enjoy in their home markets, then we'll see how well the foreign companies do on a level playing ground.

After all is said and done GM is either gonna be #1 or #2 in global car sales even with the hurdles tossed at them in other countries, hurdles foreign companies don't have to endure here.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
How simplistic. Toyota's total US payroll is $1.14 billion, GM's is $8 billion? So I guess GM must be making a couple cars here.

What matters is where the profits go? Do the profits of foreign owned companies stay in the US. Absolutely not. They are sent straight back to the home countries of the manufacturers. These are the same manufacturers who enjoy unbelievable protections implemented specifically to stifle competition not to mention the subsidies they receive from their governments. So in the end what we should care about is the transfer of wealth from America to other countries, which is never in our best interests.

Or better yet, let's go ahead and put the same protections and subsidies in place for domestic companies that the foreign companies enjoy in their home markets, then we'll see how well the foreign companies do on a level playing ground.

After all is said and done GM is either gonna be #1 or #2 in global car sales even with the hurdles tossed at them in other countries, hurdles foreign companies don't have to endure here.

I would guess that US companies are no different from any other and will no doubt play smoke and mirrors with their accounting practices, which somehow magically show that in place like the US and Europe they ran at a loss but that in their 5 man branch in Hintuland where corporate tax is 1/2% they made millions.

Building decent cars would help too.

EPCOT Explorer

No, I just truly find TT, while fun, to be the most overrated attraction at WDW.

Too much very black warehouse empty space that used to have eleborate setpieces and AAs.

The effects aren't that great ... and the climax is simply what everyone can see, the loop around the building (out over CM areas as well in back) at speeds building to 65 MPH.

Is it fun? Sure, it can be.

As to an avatar? No way. No how. Never. Not happening.

One of the things I enjoy greatly about posting on anotherdisneyplace.com is that the boards are very simple. They are for discussion with no avatars, crazy sigs, smilies and the like.

While that stuff can be fun, IMHO it also clogs things up and takes the focus off what should be the main things -- the actual discussion.

So, I'll never have an avatar. And I am quite :) about that!
:fork::goodnevil:mad::zipit::king::eek::D

Heh...We will Internet you up soon enough.;)

Really? I miss WoM too, but are you even old enough to remember it? You were what, at oldest 5, right?
3,4 and 5.

I actually remember most of it. Horizons too.

UoE is the only attraction that is fuzzy from back then.

DisneyMusician2

TT is fun, even educational from a transportation and manufacting perspective, certainly not futuristic though. The real future is watching the post-show and wandering through the exhibits. I always have a great time with some of the computer stuff and concept cars. If you take the time to look through the exhibit instead of running out as most do, you can pick up some great stuff there.

I have great memories of Horizons, UoE, and WoM. WoM to me was weaker than Horizons, and certainly not as futuristic as people give it credit for.

I would think that with the bailout of GM looking stalled, it may come don to who wants to take over the pavillion. But perhaps I'm calling time of death on the company too early.

The real issue with GM is that they have not stayed competative in the hybrid and alternative markets, and let other companies take the lead. The large truck and SUV simply are losing their marketshare, and GM has done little to off-set the cost of alternate cars to even to produce them in great numbers. Now in an economic downturn, their old marketshare continues to disappear as leases and larger cars become less common.

If they were smart, they might revamp TT to show their future instead of how they continue to produce cars that fewer and fewer people buy. And I had 250,00 miles on my last Toyota, with no transmission or engine trouble before I soldit, still running.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you have any info on specifics of the refurb?
Nothing I can mention yet.
Once the initial building and ride system are paid for where is the expense... anything that involves water I would think needs a lot of care.
Surprisingly the opposite. The ride system itself for flumes is very simple, and any friction is minimised by the water. On the other hand, TT with its CM-intensive layout, multiple effects (some more effective than others) and the high rate of vehicle maintainence - not to mention tyre wear - puts it up in the not-so-low cost of running. Plus a sponsor pays for the name on the door and the lounge above it too.

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Just want to say that I think Test Track is a great ride. From a CM standpoint, it's a great attraction for kids that have never experienced a "thrill ride" before. It's not scary, it goes fast, and it's a great ride that can be experienced by the entire family! (Providing that you're in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back, or neck problems, motion sickness, or any other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure.:p) Also, guests that have worked at actual testing facilities say that it's a really good representation of what an actual test track looks and feels like.

That being said, with the kind of attendance that Test Track sees each day in comparison to the other attractions in Epcot, I don't think it's going anywhere... no matter what happens to it's sponsorship.

Look at Space Mountain. It lost its sponsor a long time ago and it still operates.

Nothing I can mention yet.
Surprisingly the opposite. The ride system itself for flumes is very simple, and any friction is minimised by the water. On the other hand, TT with its CM-intensive layout, multiple effects (some more effective than others) and the high rate of vehicle maintainence - not to mention tyre wear - puts it up in the not-so-low cost of running. Plus a sponsor pays for the name on the door and the lounge above it too.

Well then I guess test track is more of a thrill ride than a dark ride. I just though with water, they have deal with a lot of mold. But I would think that the ride and building would be bought and paid for by now so maybe Disney can afford it without GM.

One way Disney could cut costs: Why does that Journey with Figment have a skunk smell? If they deleted that, Disney would not have to spend money on the smell agent. Or does that make too much sense?

I would think Mission Space must be a maintainence nightmare. There must be a lot of safety switches to make it so you can't open the door while the "rotor" is spinning, which would be very dangerous. Considering how often the doors are opened, and that every one must be closed before it works, it must break down a lot.

bigorangeandy

I would like to see the post show area have info on cars of tomorrow, such as electric, solar, hydrogen fuel cell and such. They may not be practical in the near future, or distant future, but it would be something neat. The sponsor could also show their new concept cars, after they are unveiled at the big auto shows each year.
I would think that if GM files for bankruptcy they might still look at sponsoring the ride, as it is an advertising cost. I'm not sure what they spend each year TT, but a commercial during the Super Bowl cost millions.

TP2000

You get a free merge in that Tacoma? :D

When I'm in the Tacoma I get some lane cred from the kids, but only because it's a TRD model with custom wheels. And that's only in northern OC and the beach areas around Huntington, San Clemente and Capo Beach. But if I try to get any help with a lane change around Fashion Island or in Newport Beach and Corona Del Mar, I'm pretty much hosed in the Tacoma. :cool:

miles1

When I'm in the Tacoma I get some lane cred from the kids, but only because it's a TRD model with custom wheels. And that's only in northern OC and the beach areas around Huntington, San Clemente and Capo Beach. But if I try to get any help with a lane change around Fashion Island or in Newport Beach and Corona Del Mar, I'm pretty much hosed in the Tacoma. :cool:

Are Cali drivers that vicious that one needs "lane cred" and "help" just to change lanes? I'm not asking sarcastically, I'm really curious.

lbrad

While I'm usually viewed as a glass half-empty kind of spirit, I wouldn't count out GM as either a company (most importantly) or as a sponsor just yet.

The government isn't going to let GM go under, any more than it did all of the Wall Street banks and investment firms (that should have been allowed to cease to exist).

Also, Disney has a major sponsorship deal with Honda (which isn't going anywhere either) and they have been talked about as taking over TT, long before GM's straits became so dire.

Of course, I don't overly care about the future of TT since I am a WoM lover myself and, while I enjoy TT don't understand why it is as popular as it is.
It's popular because there aren't any other decent RIDES @ EPCOT :(

TP2000

Are Cali drivers that vicious that one needs "lane cred" and "help" just to change lanes? I'm not asking sarcastically, I'm really curious.

I was half-joking. Sort of. :cool:

It's a reference to an old thread where we discussed how the heirarchy of "cool cars" in SoCal determine how you are treated and what you can get away with on the freeways and streets of Orange County, California.

eddy21

Once the initial building and ride system are paid for where is the expense? It seems most of the expense would be the CMs and the electric bill. A dark ride would not wear out like a thrill ride would becuase the forces are not there, although TT is partly a thrill ride. I would think Pirates of the Caribbean would be expensive, though, anything that involves water I would think needs a lot of care.
The Cars are totally dismantled after 84,000 laps. All parts get inspeted magna flux, dimensions. the differentials and half shafts break . not many moving parts on flume ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom