Future development at Disney Parks worldwide

Pongo

Obviously, but it doesn't mean that Disney shouldn't at the very least maintain and improve their current attractions. Its very clear that WDW is not a priority for the company.

Oh, I agree. But this is how Disney sees things. If you or I were in charge of the company, we would understand keeping the WDW parks fresh is good for everyone. But we aren't :shrug:

Thankfully.

Buried20KLeague

All this talk of the budget for FL possibly being cut massively has me wondering...

Is it possible someone on the design team was furious about the budget getting so massively slashed that they leaked the plans... Showing the public what they had lined up... So that TDO might feel pressure to not cut the budget anymore?

I could see TDO feeling like they're "between a rock and a hard place" because they want to cut... But now the public has seen plans, and anything less than what they're expecting based on those plans could be a HUGE PR nightmare...

While whoever leaked the plans on the design team sits back and smiles because TDO might win the battle, but not the war.

:shrug:

Doesn't seem that far out of line, to me. We KNOW they got leaked. They had to. Someone on the inside had a reason to get this out to the public. Then we start hearing news of potential cuts to the budget. Sounds a little fishy to me.

_Scar

Epcot sure as heck needs some kind of addition since it hasn't gotten anything major since 2005 (Nemo doesn't count). An Imagination refurb or that Weather Pavilion everyone wants would be good ideas...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the future holds.

I'd love to see WoL tore down and get the Weather Center from TDS!

I also think Nemo should count for something. The ride is great and the pavillion is VERY interesting.

jt04

All this talk of the budget for FL possibly being cut massively has me wondering...

Is it possible someone on the design team was furious about the budget getting so massively slashed that they leaked the plans... Showing the public what they had lined up... So that TDO might feel pressure to not cut the budget anymore?

I could see TDO feeling like they're "between a rock and a hard place" because they want to cut... But now the public has seen plans, and anything less than what they're expecting based on those plans could be a HUGE PR nightmare...

While whoever leaked the plans on the design team sits back and smiles because TDO might win the battle, but not the war.

Doesn't seem that far out of line, to me. We KNOW they got leaked. They had to. Someone on the inside had a reason to get this out to the public. Then we start hearing news of potential cuts to the budget. Sounds a little fishy to me.

I do agree that the leak appears to be inside politics and I think your reasoning is sound. I'm still convinced that budgets above about 50 million are all handled in California and TDO would have little say. The 750 million seems way out of line even if everything on the blueprint is built. 250 million seems reasonable for everything except the Beasts Castle which may have been scaled back. And nobody seems to be considering that the original 750 million dollar figure is still in play. It just may be that is is now being reallocated to two or three projects on property instead of just Fantasyland. I'm waiting for D23 before making any judgements.

Figment632

I do agree that the leak appears to be inside politics and I think your reasoning is sound. I'm still convinced that budgets above about 50 million are all handled in California and TDO would have little say. The 750 million seems way out of line even if everything on the blueprint is built. 250 million seems reasonable for everything except the Beasts Castle which may have been scaled back. And nobody seems to be considering that the original 750 million dollar figure is still in play. It just may be that is is now being reallocated to two or three projects on property instead of just Fantasyland. I'm waiting for D23 before making any judgements.

I hope you are right I'd much rather see the 750 get spread throughout the parks instead of just FL.

Buried20KLeague

Do you have any reason to believe anything over $50M comes from Cali? I'd imagine that there probably is some dollar figure that requires higher authority, but to guess at that number would be random. That info is usually stuffed somewhere in operating agreements and bylaws, etc...

I'd agree that $750M seems way out of line for what we've seen... But maybe these plans we're seeing are the "$500M" plans? Maybe something grander was in the cards for the $750M, but already got hit... And then to "stop the bleeding" from the budget, the $500M plans got leaked, so the project didn't get slashed further. :shrug:

Totally guessing, of course. But it would make sense.

_Scar

Do you have any reason to believe anything over $50M comes from Cali? I'd imagine that there probably is some dollar figure that requires higher authority, but to guess at that number would be random. That info is usually stuffed somewhere in operating agreements and bylaws, etc...

I'd agree that $750M seems way out of line for what we've seen... But maybe these plans we're seeing are the "$500M" plans? Maybe something grander was in the cards for the $750M, but already got hit... And then to "stop the bleeding" from the budget, the $500M plans got leaked, so the project didn't get slashed further. :shrug:

Yes it would.... I'm not a money kind of guy, but do you think they'd put the full 100 million into TLM?

jt04

I used the 50 million figure based partly on the Space Mountain budget. And also, that decent E Tickets rarely come it at less than 100 million. So it was only a guestimate.

I think the days of scaled back versions (especially clones) may be over. I think there was some truth to the rumor that TDO tried for a cheaper ST2 but the effort was a quick failure. We'll get a full fledged LM and ST2 and we will have better queues. That is how it looks to me anyway.

I used the 50 million figure based partly on the Space Mountain budget. And also, that decent E Tickets rarely come it at less than 100 million. So it was only a guestimate.

I think the days of scaled back versions (especially clones) may be over. I think there was some truth to the rumor that TDO tried for a cheaper ST2 but the effort was a quick failure. We'll get a full fledged LM and ST2 and we will have better queues. That is how it looks to me anyway.
Yes finally were getting the souped up versions. Thank God .

WDW1974

I dunno. I am a conspiracy guy myself because ... well, I've lived enough of them and seen them affect others to not always want to buy into them ... BUT ... with that said, I'm not sure I can agree with ya here.

Not saying it's not possible, just that what exactly did that blueprint show?

Every fanboi and his boyfriend or mother has studied them ad nauseum and still no one really has a clue what they represent and to what extent they were/are what's going to be done.

There's simply not enough info on the leaked document to judge against what happens unless Disney either does almost nothing or blows our minds with a huge redo. Anything in between (and I'll bet you that's what happens) will fall into that gray area where the plans can be used to back up whatever point any individual wants to make (hope I'm being clear as I've had a very long day).

I have my own theory as to why the plans were leaked and I don't want to rehash them here again in 653 posts.

But could you be right? Sure. Could you be wrong? Sure.

In other words, it's about as clear as those blueprints!:)

WDW1974

A project of this size gets approved by Burbank. And they decide the number. Very little input comes from TDO. Again, this is why this project was pushed through to start with.

TDO has the power to move around funds, though.

They can take XXX millions from a proposed Monsters coaster at Studios and put them toward Fantasyland redo instead for instance. But they can't say 'we want this project to cost $432 million instead of $564 million and thus it will be'.

Hope that helps.

loaloa

Hi, i am the author of the Disney and more article. When i talk in the article about a $250 M estimate for the Fantasyland expansion, this is my own calculation.

Knowing that the Little Mermaid ride cost at DCA is around $150M i added $100M for the other buildings (Cinderella manor, Aurora's House, Belle's village, Be my guest restaurant, the second Dumbo ride, etc... )

I may be a bit under the real "price", but $100M to build mainly decor seems to me "reasonable". You can add $50M ot $75M more if you want which will make a total around 325 or 350 M$ as WDI prices are always high, but 500 or 600M$ looks really too much for what they're supposed to do.

DocMcHulk

I may be a bit under the real "price", but $100M to build mainly decor seems to me "reasonable". You can add $50M ot $75M more if you want which will make a total around 325 or 350 M$ as WDI prices are always high, but 500 or 600M$ looks really too much for what they're supposed to do.
I agree. Considering Anaheim is getting a $1 BILLION renovation and this isnt nearly half of that scale of a project. $400 million seems high, but reasonable.

Buried20KLeague

I dunno. I am a conspiracy guy myself because ... well, I've lived enough of them and seen them affect others to not always want to buy into them ... BUT ... with that said, I'm not sure I can agree with ya here.

Not saying it's not possible, just that what exactly did that blueprint show?

Every fanboi and his boyfriend or mother has studied them ad nauseum and still no one really has a clue what they represent and to what extent they were/are what's going to be done.

There's simply not enough info on the leaked document to judge against what happens unless Disney either does almost nothing or blows our minds with a huge redo. Anything in between (and I'll bet you that's what happens) will fall into that gray area where the plans can be used to back up whatever point any individual wants to make (hope I'm being clear as I've had a very long day).

I have my own theory as to why the plans were leaked and I don't want to rehash them here again in 653 posts.

But could you be right? Sure. Could you be wrong? Sure.

In other words, it's about as clear as those blueprints!:)

I agree those blueprints are fairly ambiguous... But suppose for a second that the design team believed the "Beauty and the Beast Restaurant" was about to get canned. And they consider that a major focal point of this expansion. Even though there's not a lot of detail on these prints, if they were going to hack something as large as that restaurant (and all the show elements and flashy stuff associated with it that the designers had in mind), I could see them leaking them.

I guess what I'm saying is... If a large chunk was in danger of being lost... A leak might help... Even a leak with as little detail as we've seen.

But like you said... Who knows. :lol: I'm doing nothing more than speculating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom