Fantasyland Philosophy

IlikeDW

Well the concept art shows the tinker bell ride building but I think it's a mistake to build a dark ride based around a direct to video series that Disney will most likely abandone in a few years.

Why can't they dig into there concept art archives and finally build a mary poppins/headless horsemen/ or sleeping beauty ride? Why not create an ORIGINAL attraction (like the rumored shadowlands/bald mountain? How about that fantasia dark ride that was proposed for DAK? How about a ride for Rapunzel or Frog Princess? or a clone of a Disneyland classic??

But again Princess meet & greets = increased sales and Pixie Hollow = marketing promotion for disney's direct to video series. It's BS that the marketers and MBA's STILL have such a stranglehold on the company. Let the imagineers come up with ideas on there own and then see what should be greenlit based on available funds and needs like the old days!

I would love to see an attraction without a movie tie in, give the imagineers a blank canvas. alas I think the masses have come to expect the tie in.

NewfieFan

So the complaint is that the Magic Kingdom doesn't have enough for toddlers now?

I'm sorry for those people that are delusional enough to think that their toddler is going to remember everything from their visit. We brought my nephew there when he was 1 1/2 years old, and aside from stealing an ornament off a Christmas Tree in DinoRama, he spent the majority of the time sleeping. I also maintain that he got more satisfaction out of filling his diaper than he did from seeing Winnie the Pooh.

That being said, there were colors, there were lights, and there were noises that were undoubtedly stimulating to him. The Magic Kingdom is probably the best park in Central Florida for kids of that age group. What we found was that Islands of Adventure was absolutely atrocious for children of that age - but you know what, he gets into both places for free so I suppose you get what you pay for.

Who's delusional? Who said anything about their toddlers/young children remembering any of this!?! We're discussing what's available to children under 6... not what they remember from their vacation!

And since when does remembering have anything to do with it! We take our children places, give them new experiences, and show them new things b/c that's what parents do! We get pleasure out of seeing our children having fun... not what they will remember!

NewfieFan

Also, there would be alot more to enjoy if Disney didnt REMOVE the skyway, the watercrafts of the rivers of america, 20k under the sea, etc. Not only would kids enjoy these attractions but adults as well!

I can only laugh that Disney takes away rides and then 20 years later offers meet and greets "for the kids" to try and make up for it. What a joke and im not falling for it.

All I know is kids LOVE fantasyland in Disneyland because everywhere you turn there are RIDES, RIDES, RIDES! for not just kids but everyone! From Matterhorn to Mr.Toad! From Alice in Wonderland to Casey Jr! We got something for everyone and the business model works. Not only that but they are updated every few years (Wonderland was recently upgraded with some new special effects) so they are constantly fresh.

Hi, I know you like to ignore people who disagree with you but my kids like M&G, they prefer them over rides! Are we the majority... I have no idea!?! But there are a lot of other people who enjoy the same things we do!!! Disney is not just rides... it's why we go, actually! Disney is the experience and these new M&G are really going to add to that experience!

What is the joke and why are you "not falling for it"? Disney is "replacing" one of the rides! It's the LM attraction and will be enjoyed by young and old alike! So, if we put back the boats and the skyway and left the rest of FL the way it was... that would make you happy!?! I don't get it... sorry!:shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

Well the concept art shows the tinker bell ride building but I think it's a mistake to build a dark ride based around a direct to video series that Disney will most likely abandone in a few years.

Why can't they dig into there concept art archives and finally build a mary poppins/headless horsemen/ or sleeping beauty ride? Why not create an ORIGINAL attraction (like the rumored shadowlands/bald mountain? How about that fantasia dark ride that was proposed for DAK? How about a ride for Rapunzel or Frog Princess? or a clone of a Disneyland classic??

But again Princess meet & greets = increased sales and Pixie Hollow = marketing promotion for disney's direct to video series. It's BS that the marketers and MBA's STILL have such a stranglehold on the company. Let the imagineers come up with ideas on there own and then see what should be greenlit based on available funds and needs like the old days!

While I don't mind the princess land (It's WS in my eyes...)

A-FREAKING-MEN! :D ORIGINALITY! :eek::sohappy::sohappy: Nothing like it.

Ah, to return to the 80's....

TalkingHead

Hi, I know you like to ignore people who disagree with you but my kids like M&G, they prefer them over rides! Are we the majority... I have no idea!?! But there are a lot of other people who enjoy the same things we do!!! Disney is not just rides... it's why we go, actually! Disney is the experience and these new M&G are really going to add to that experience!

What is the joke and why are you "not falling for it"? Disney is "replacing" one of the rides! It's the LM attraction and will be enjoyed by young and old alike! So, if we put back the boats and the skyway and left the rest of FL the way it was... that would make you happy!?! I don't get it... sorry!:shrug:

I know what you mean. My family plans trips to WDW primarily to meet the characters. The rides are just an added bonus. The characters are definitely the best thing about the parks. Maybe some more rides should be closed down so that we can get more Meet and Greets.

Speaking of, want to see all the autographs I have in my $10 autograph book?

I wonder how many more of those they'll sell after Fantasyland is 50% character Meet and Greets.

Walter Yensid

There is nothing to get...he literally is a conundrum. Believe me, and the reason almost all of us ignore his comments, is that even if they put all these attractions back in the park, he would then complain that they have all these old-fashion attractions that are not popular and no one goes on. Nothing Disney does is good to him. This is the same person who several posts ago said that building a ride around TinkerBell is a mistake because it is a direct-to-video property. Of course, this is the same character who was part of the most iconic of Disney movies (Peter Pan), is part of countless shows in the parks worldwide, and the one character that flies around before ALL Disney movies.

Again, there is nothing to get. Not worth you wasting the time. The unfortunate part is when you peel back all his negativity and anti-Disney rhetoric and he posts a comment in that moment, he actually has great insights and ideas. Too bad...

Walter Yensid

Epcot Explorer...lots of respect for ya, man, after reading many of your posts throughout the days, so do not take any offense.

But, let's be serious, back to the 80s. The company was on the verge of going bankrupt or being taken over, there were no new rides opening, and morale was in the toilet. Not really the high times...for Imagineers, for cast members, for anyone at Disney.

And to the point made by my favorite conundrum about MBAs running the company and Imagineers not being able to do their thing...if anyone looks at this new FL plan, I am quite sure the Imagineers had some fun with this. This is old school Disney...theming, story, etc. Plus, based on all the first-hand reports from D23 and people speaking directly with the Imagineers, it seems they are quite proud of what they are doing and the new Disney that has emerged. Didn't see many MBAs in the Parks Pavilion. haha

The Conundrum

Just to clarify before this gets out of hand, if your expecting WS or a mini-WS you are going to be EXTREMLY disappointed. Think of it as more of a larger walkaround version of storybook land.

_Scar

Just to clarify before this gets out of hand, if your expecting WS or a mini-WS you are going to be EXTREMLY disappointed. Think of it as more of a larger walkaround version of storybook land.

Eh, are you just being a downer are do you the deets? In storybook canals, you can't dance with Cindy :)

jt04

Considering I spent two days chatting with imagineers and do alot more research about the Walt Disney Company. I think I know a bit more than you do.

Well we are all here with open ears waiting to be dazzled with your new found knowledge.

Eddie Sotto praised the new FL, you say it is lacking. He was an Imagineer. You never have been. There, I know that much. :lol:

yankspy

I would love to see an attraction without a movie tie in, give the imagineers a blank canvas. alas I think the masses have come to expect the tie in.
Indeed. Pirates, HM, Space, etc. Some of their best attractions were unique and original. I wish they would build more like them.

Ignohippo

I assume the Belle attraction will just be an indoor (and that's a good thing!) version of the current storytime show so it'll have the same capacity. The Cinderella show will have two theaters so it hopefully won't have capacity issues, but Aurora's meet and greet sounds like the worst of the 3 because it's only 1 space and there is no set time for making the cards, or if there is some kid's gonna complain about how he or she did not get sufficient time to finish his/her card.

It's my impression that there may not be traditional lines at all. The "cardmaking" may be something for the kids to do instead of waiting in a traditional line. Think of it as multiple queue rooms where you don't wait in line – you do activities while waiting your turn.

If this is what WDI has in mind, it will be revolutionary.

Ignohippo

As for the movie tie-ins, TinkerBell seems to be kind of a pet project of JL – I wish he showed as much enthusiasm for Meet The Robinsons and Bolt but that's something for another discussion.

The first TinkerBell video stunk (this from someone who's always had a crush on Tink for 30+ years) and it's evident this is a popular opinion by the prices the dvd and blu-ray go for on ebay. The second one's gonna stiff. It'll be interesting to see what happens to "FairyLand" once that happens.

It's totally evident from the change in the plans and the timetable that there are alternate plans for TTF if they decide to not go through with Pixie Hollow.

Kopp vers. 2.0

As a twenty something, I have been going to WDW since I was two. I too don't believe that WDW is really suitable for toddlers. It's sad, but truthfully, as mentioned before, the heat is unbearable, the lines are long, and it can be a horrible experience if not under the correct situations. I see kids there screaming and crying due to the heat or not feeling well and I feel bad for them. Even as a youngster, my family told me I could be there with two horrible ear infections, teething, or exhausted, but the fact that I was at Disney I was so happy. They had EPCOT Center, a world to me that was so incredible cause I could ride basically everything, and enjoy it. I think that helped a lot. I think a lot of those "not toddler friendly" aspects come from the kid either not being able to handle the "elements" - heat, large crowds, long days, etc., families not realizing when to rest, as most of the time you cannot when you are there, and lack of attractions kids can really sink their teeth into. Now as an adult, I've gone the past three years and noticed that while I still love basically every attraction, I have been able to see everything with planning. However, I also never wanted to go to Mickey's Toontown Fair - it was a land to skip. I am overjoyed about the philosophy that has been thought up. Toontown itself always seemed like such a patch fix on such a great park to me. Never interesting and always disappointing. It seems now that there is an option for kids to enjoy their vacation like I did back then, as well as bring a bit of quality back to that portion of the park.

EPCOT Explorer

Epcot Explorer...lots of respect for ya, man, after reading many of your posts throughout the days, so do not take any offense.

But, let's be serious, back to the 80s. The company was on the verge of going bankrupt or being taken over, there were no new rides opening, and morale was in the toilet. Not really the high times...for Imagineers, for cast members, for anyone at Disney.

And to the point made by my favorite conundrum about MBAs running the company and Imagineers not being able to do their thing...if anyone looks at this new FL plan, I am quite sure the Imagineers had some fun with this. This is old school Disney...theming, story, etc. Plus, based on all the first-hand reports from D23 and people speaking directly with the Imagineers, it seems they are quite proud of what they are doing and the new Disney that has emerged. Didn't see many MBAs in the Parks Pavilion. haha
Tust me, a difference in opinion will not cause me any offense.:wave: Thank you for the respect- The lack of that is what causes offense!:lol:

I assume you are talking late 80's? I was talking early- The opening of EPCOT. Huge, lavish, ORIGINAL E Tics in almost every pavilion, and on such differentiated subjects. That's what I was referring too. Sorry...Shoulda been clearer.

Agreed on FL. It looks like a immersive and fantastic area.

Hiiiiiiighly doubt that. Have you seen the art? This thing is going to be a intricate land of thematics.... WS with a Fantasy-esque story.:shrug:

panther726

Hiiiiiiighly doubt that. Have you seen the art? This thing is going to be a intricate land of thematics.... WS with a Fantasy-esque story.:shrug:

I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement. I think you were the first one to compare the new FL with WS if I am not mistaken. And I completely agree with you. It's going to be awesome!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom