Fantasyland Philosophy

_Scar

Open them to what?

AK is one of the truly great Disney parks, with great theming. Although people are obsessed with the rides in parks, AK is about a great dream of Walt's about having live animals present.

A few more rides might be worked in, but hopefully not at the expense of the feel of the park.

If you take your time and walk through, unlike other Disney parks which we speed through, you may find it is one of the best and one which remains the truest to the highest ideals of Disney we talk about on the boards today.

I don't think DAK will be hit as hard as people predict with attendance.

You are getting my excited for my trip in a month! :sohappy:

It really has a great atmosphere! They need a nighttime show, whether it be occasional musicians in Discovery River or a light show (prays for light parade show).

The park has such an amazing vibe day and night.

panther726

Open them to what?

AK is one of the truly great Disney parks, with great theming. Although people are obsessed with the rides in parks, AK is about a great dream of Walt's about having live animals present.

A few more rides might be worked in, but hopefully not at the expense of the feel of the park.

If you take your time and walk through, unlike other Disney parks which we speed through, you may find it is one of the best and one which remains the truest to the highest ideals of Disney we talk about on the boards today.

I don't think DAK will be hit as hard as people predict with attendance.
I understand that but theming only goes so far. If AK doesn't get a major attraction in a few years, what will keep the average guest from straying to another park instead. AK is already becoming a 1/2 day park for me.

Note that this is my opinon, not trying to stir up trouble.

Studios Fan

I understand that but theming only goes so far. If AK doesn't get a major attraction in a few years, what will keep the average guest from straying to another park instead. AK is already becoming a 1/2 day park for me.

I agree with you. If it doesn't get anything in the next few years it will hurt the park.

Figment632

DAK just got EE a massive E-ticket only 3 years ago, DAK should wait to get something major until the other parks get some love.

RSoxNo1

DAK just got EE a massive E-ticket only 3 years ago, DAK should wait to get something major until the other parks get some love.

How overdue was EE? The park opened in 1998, and was supposed to get Beastly Kingdom in 2001. It didn't get EE until 2006.

Instead of Beastly Kingdom and the Excavator, the park received EE, Dinorama, and Nemo replaced Tarzan rocks. EE helped the park, and the park's attendance spiked when it was added. The problem was, the attendance would have already been at that level if it had proceeded as originally intended.

It's my favorite park, and it is definitely nowhere near complete.

Figment632

How overdue was EE? The park opened in 1998, and was supposed to get Beastly Kingdom in 2001. It didn't get EE until 2006.

Instead of Beastly Kingdom and the Excavator, the park received EE, Dinorama, and Nemo replaced Tarzan rocks. EE helped the park, and the park's attendance spiked when it was added. The problem was, the attendance would have already been at that level if it had proceeded as originally intended.

It's my favorite park, and it is definitely nowhere near complete.

Oh I agree its far from complete but I think Epcot needs more help. DAK could use another major people eater.

fosse76

Yes it is ridiculos :lookaroun

All of the attractions that have always been there will still be there. WDW has 4 parks and the luxury of creating areas that cater to specific guests. I suggest you read the OP again, if in fact you even bothered to read it a first time. It destroys your case.

Or proves you are just being selfish.

I somewhat agree with you...but I think what works best is the balance they have with their attractions. You can go into Adventureland, Frontierland, Liberty Square, Tomorrowland, and Fantasyland and find attractions that appeal to everyone, and that have attractions that even the youngest guests can ride. But Disney should not create areas that will only appeal to the smallest of guests (or conversely, the biggest). How many people without children even go to Mickey's Toontown Fair, other than on the way to or from the train? Or Camp Minnie Mickey, whose only attraction is a show? Fantasyland has the most number of attractions geared to small children. Because of that high concentration of attractions, it is the most congested area of the park, and the queue times reflect it.

I think the problem is people seem frustrated that Disney's recent offerings have been lackluster, so when they finally offer something huge, nothing in it appeals to them. While I will enjoy walking through the new area as it will contribute to the atmosphere, only the dark ride will be something I could possibly enjoy (maybe the new restaurant too). But Disney knows its audience, and for Fantasyland it's primarily small children and pre-teen girls. Boys are relatively low maintenance, and there is a lot at the Magic Kingdom that will appeal to them...it's just that none of it is in Fantasyland! (and yes, I'm being somewhat fasicious).

Disney wanted his park to appeal to everyone, but not every attraction had to cater to the smallest of children. In that respect, I don't think this new addition will be contrary to his vision. He wanted to create UNIQUE offerings. It's not that he didn't want a rollercoaster because it catered only to a certain segment...it's because everyone had rollercoasters. He got on board only when he was convinced it could be unique by being uniquely themed. I just hope this new expansion will help reduce the line for Peter Pan!

jt04

I somewhat agree with you...but I think what works best is the balance they have with their attractions. You can go into Adventureland, Frontierland, Liberty Square, Tomorrowland, and Fantasyland and find attractions that appeal to everyone, and that have attractions that even the youngest guests can ride. But Disney should not create areas that will only appeal to the smallest of guests (or conversely, the biggest). How many people without children even go to Mickey's Toontown Fair, other than on the way to or from the train? Or Camp Minnie Mickey, whose only attraction is a show? Fantasyland has the most number of attractions geared to small children. Because of that high concentration of attractions, it is the most congested area of the park, and the queue times reflect it.

I think the problem is people seem frustrated that Disney's recent offerings have been lackluster, so when they finally offer something huge, nothing in it appeals to them. While I will enjoy walking through the new area as it will contribute to the atmosphere, only the dark ride will be something I could possibly enjoy (maybe the new restaurant too). But Disney knows its audience, and for Fantasyland it's primarily small children and pre-teen girls. Boys are relatively low maintenance, and there is a lot at the Magic Kingdom that will appeal to them...it's just that none of it is in Fantasyland! (and yes, I'm being somewhat fasicious).

Disney wanted his park to appeal to everyone, but not every attraction had to cater to the smallest of children. In that respect, I don't think this new addition will be contrary to his vision. He wanted to create UNIQUE offerings. It's not that he didn't want a rollercoaster because it catered only to a certain segment...it's because everyone had rollercoasters. He got on board only when he was convinced it could be unique by being uniquely themed. I just hope this new expansion will help reduce the line for Peter Pan!

Here is the OP. There is already plenty of stuff on property to appeal to your tastes. The FL expansion is not about that. Here is what the OP posted........again..

"The smallest visitors wait in the longest lines for the shortest rides."

Most of all, I was impressed that a Disney official would publicly admit such a fault, and a serious one at that.

I was also impressed that Disney decided to take drastic (and expensive) steps to correct that problem. While cynics would argue that the new Fantasyland is designed to drive Princess merchandise, there are many other (and cheaper) ways they could have achieved that goal without improving the guest experience.

And the guest they are specifically aiming to please is a small child (and their frustration-prone parents).

Everyone throws around the Walt quote "a place where parents and children can have fun together". But even with the MK being the most family-friendly Disney theme park, it really neglects children between the ages of about 1-6.

An adult can find enjoyment from POTC or Hall of Presidents. Teens love Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain. Grade school kids can appreciate Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain.

But there really is only a small handful of attractions young children can visit--- and even fewer of those that a child would CHOOSE to ride.

Other than the Fantasyland rides (which Lasseter correctly acknowledges are short with long lines), most toddlers are really limited to TSI, Riverboat, CBJ, JC, Flying Carpets and AstroOrbiter (also slow-loaders), TTA, Buzz, and the Railroad.

That means parents with small children are also limited to those handful of attractions (baby swaps or unusually brave children aside).

Some have argued that the New Fantasyland really doesn't appeal to anyone over the age of 6. Based on Lasseter's comments, that's the audience they intentionally targeted.

As a parent of toddlers, the queues for Dumbo, Pan, and Pooh are nothing short of sheer hell. And yet we must endure the 30-60 minute waits in the blazing heat, while standing still for minutes at a time trying to prevent fights and kicking other guests' ankles, for a ride that lasts one or two minutes, because our options are limited.

Other than TLM (which will be a wonderfully high-capacity people-eater in a fast-moving, air-conditioned queue), most teens and adults will probably bypass the New Fantasyland in order to visit the other attractions they can ride.

But I think parents with small kids will have a great time *together* wandering at their own slow pace through the princess cottages and walkways. Hopefully the water and shade trees will keep happiness up and temper-tantrums down. Instead of World War III breaking out during their one trip on Dumbo, kids may get to ride the elephant multiple times during a visit with an enjoyable wait. If the new area adds only 45 minutes of new activities for toddlers, that's 45 minutes they don't get right now.

Some have suggested adding some Disneyland clones, like Alice in Wonderland or Pinnochio. But those, along with Storybook Land and Casey Jr are also "for the smallest people with the longest lines for the shortest rides."

Although the New Fantasyland may not contain mind-twisting thrill rides, or even attractions that appeal to most MK visitors, it appears that the tranquil atmosphere will put the "park" back in "theme park".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom