Fantasyland Philosophy

AEfx

And, this is enjoyable for adults too. I'm greatly looking forward to wandering around, exploring, and admiring the Disney Showmanship

Yeah, I guess I've been missing where this is all for little kids. Of course, a controversey doesn't surprise me (Disney can't even change the paper it prints reciepts on without causing an uproar of international proprotions), but I am so excited about this new development - and I'm a 30 year old male.

Now, if this had been my design, I also would have thrown in a D- or C-ticket or two and brought Alice or Pinoccio or another small-time dark ride as well, but since we got Mermaid in all it's glory, I'm very pleased with that.

I also look greatly forward to the Princesse's abodes - no, I do not wait in line to have my picture taken with characters (unless I'm with children or first-time visitors) but I can't wait to walk around Fantasyland to look at all the detail, archeticture, and theming. Fantasyland is in ways my favorite and least favorite land - my favorite because Disney dark rides are what the magic is all about for me, but it's also never a place I spend much time in besides the rides because there are much nicer, better themed areas of the park to do so in.

I also can't wait for the new restaurant - MK was due for a real, themed one. I enjoy Crystal Palace, the Plaza, and LTT (lunch, of course), but they aren't really "Disney" the way eating in the Beast's library is going to be.

As I said, the only way this news would have been better is if we'd gotten a new C/D ticket or two as well, but I'm very satisfied with what we are getting - especially the fact that the only part I am not interested in (the fairy stuff) will be the last to be completed. :)

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, I guess I've been missing where this is all for little kids. Of course, a controversey doesn't surprise me (Disney can't even change the paper it prints reciepts on without causing an uproar of international proprotions), but I am so excited about this new development - and I'm a 30 year old male.

Now, if this had been my design, I also would have thrown in a D- or C-ticket or two and brought Alice or Pinoccio or another small-time dark ride as well, but since we got Mermaid in all it's glory, I'm very pleased with that.

I also look greatly forward to the Princesse's abodes - no, I do not wait in line to have my picture taken with characters (unless I'm with children or first-time visitors) but I can't wait to walk around Fantasyland to look at all the detail, archeticture, and theming. Fantasyland is in ways my favorite and least favorite land - my favorite because Disney dark rides are what the magic is all about for me, but it's also never a place I spend much time in besides the rides because there are much nicer, better themed areas of the park to do so in.

I also can't wait for the new restaurant - MK was due for a real, themed one. I enjoy Crystal Palace, the Plaza, and LTT (lunch, of course), but they aren't really "Disney" the way eating in the Beast's library is going to be.

As I said, the only way this news would have been better is if we'd gotten a new C/D ticket or two as well, but I'm very satisfied with what we are getting - especially the fact that the only part I am not interested in (the fairy stuff) will be the last to be completed. :)

Exactly. Well said! FL is the heart of it all, and they are opening it up more. I'll actually spend more time there now.

Studios Fan

That's definitely an interesting perspective. To me, "Rip, Ride, Rockit" screams, "what can we build that will be impressive but relatively inexpensive in the main park?" I say that because the main Universal Studios park was killed when Islands of Adventure opened, and they don't want that same experience again when WWoHP opens.

Disney has attempted this as well, if you have one major addition, you need to have other additions in a similar time frame so as not to take too many guests away from your other parks. This type of cannibalization has killed many "Phase 2" projects because the money was re-allocated to fix other parks that weren't as broken. When Animal Kingdom opened, the intent was to have new experiences at Epcot, Hollywood Studios and the Magic Kingdom that would all open around the same time. When these things didn't happen - Eisner looked at the attendance drop offs of the other 3 parks and allocated the money earmarked for Beastly Kingdom into projects at the other parks.

It can also work the other way too. When Expedition Everest opened, the Animal Kingdom saw the expected boost in attendance. However, this boost was at the cost of Hollywood Studios. The parks had attendance levels based on the order that they opened (MK 1st, Epcot second, DHS third, AK fourth), but after Everest it was looking like AK was going to pass DHS. To me, that's why Toy Story Mania happened.

As excited as I am about the Fantasyland Expansion, as well as the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, it's more than just the 1 new ride each expansion will be bringing to the table. They both will have an effect on the Central Florida landscape depending on what they do to attendance numbers. I'm gonna look at each of the 6 parks on a per year attendance level starting in 2011

2011:
Wizarding World of Harry Potter Opens at IOA in 2010 (presumably late in the year)
Star Tours opens at DHS in October 2011
Attendance
Magic Kingdom: Will be relatively steady
Epcot: Will be relatively steady
DHS: Will decline, or will at least not increase at the rate of MK and Epcot
AK: Will decline
IOA: Will increase significantly
Universal Studios: Will decline more than the Animal Kingdom

2012:
New Fantasyland opens at the MK (guessing mid year)
Attendance
Magic Kingdom: Will increase significantly
Epcot: Will be relatively steady
DHS: Will be relatively steady, but could see a significant increase because of Star Tours
AK: Will decline
IOA: Will increase
Universal Studios: Will increase from 2011, but probably not reach 2009-2010 attendance levels

That's an interesting perspective and I'm inclined to agree. For a number of reasons, most notable the clone in DCA, Ariel's Adventure was the logical choice.

Good points about attendance. I think with ST it will help out DHS some but it still needs more attractions. As you mentioned DAK could get hit hard.

jt04

We all kinda said the same thing at the same time.:lol: A bunch did.

Thanks, though!

Nicely diplomatic.

The majority of folks won't believe it until they see it in person. The blueprints and concept art just can't recreate what it will actually be when built.

TalkingHead

Yeah, referring to your projected attendance records, I have a feeling that Star Tours will most benefit after the building of WWoHP (Star Wars fanatics seem to be more into "epic win" than "outdoors parks with magic"), but it might very well work with Fantasyland too, considering that it'll be cheaper and easier to go to JUST the parks in WDW.

Anyway, just to clarify, I love RnRC and roller coasters in general as much as the next guy (Six Flags Great Adventure is within driving distance), but one of the best rides that I experienced there was not Superman nor Nitro, but Batman: The Ride. I think I enjoyed it most doe to it's detailed queue, actually. You entered near a prop Batmobile and entered into Gotham City's public park, contributed to the city by Bruce Banner (Batman's alias), then you go behind a few temporary-looking workwalls with "Gotham City Public Works" printed on them. You pass through and see a sewer-like area. You go into a sewer drainpipe and up many stairs. Here, you can hear the sounds of the city overhead and the snickering of Batman's rivals. Soon, you turn a final corner and enter the Batcave. There are stalagmites and tites around, and overhead is the Batman logo. The costume in a glass container is visible. In much disappointment, all the ride consists of is going on a quick flight around Gotham. It's like they ran out of budget or something. Oh well.

Given the number of comic book fans who apparently read these threads, I'm surprised no one corrected you.

jt04

Thanks?:shrug: It's what I do!:lol:

True, but I hope it does! :D

I meant that it will be better than the concept art. People are going to love these new environments. FL is enjoyed now but it is only a shadow of what it will be.

We need construction walls for Christmas! :xmas:

EPCOT Explorer

I meant that it will be better than the concept art. People are going to love these new environments. FL is enjoyed now but it is only a shadow of what it will be.

We need construction walls for Christmas! :xmas:

You won't have me disagree here.

I love the fact that you can actually walk AROUND FL now....Not just down the main street.:lol:

I need to take pictures of walls in Christmas...:lol:

jt04

You won't have me disagree here.

I love the fact that you can actually walk AROUND FL now....Not just down the main street.:lol:

I need to take pictures of walls in Christmas...:lol:

I thought LM might go where they have the Cindy m&g and with the entrance facing north to create a new street. But they have done nearly that. It appears that the back of the M&G will have a LM theme. It's funny how much the extra street is what I pictured even before the blueprint was released. What I didn't imagine was just how massive the overall project would actually be. It still amazes me.

hack2112

I thought LM might go where they have the Cindy m&g and with the entrance facing north to create a new street. But they have done nearly that. It appears that the back of the M&G will have a LM theme. It's funny how much the extra street is what I pictured even before the blueprint was released. What I didn't imagine was just how massive the overall project would actually be. It still amazes me.
Are you normally in shock for weeks at a time? :lol:

DisneyMusician2

This might be for the better. Maybe it will open Disney's eyes.

Open them to what?

AK is one of the truly great Disney parks, with great theming. Although people are obsessed with the rides in parks, AK is about a great dream of Walt's about having live animals present.

A few more rides might be worked in, but hopefully not at the expense of the feel of the park.

If you take your time and walk through, unlike other Disney parks which we speed through, you may find it is one of the best and one which remains the truest to the highest ideals of Disney we talk about on the boards today.

I don't think DAK will be hit as hard as people predict with attendance.

hack2112

Some people won't get it until they see it with their own eyes.
Oh, no. I meant it as nothing but good. Trust me, I'm excited. TLM will be fantastic, and I may sneak in to the princess M&Gs eventually.

However, I'm still incredibly excited for TWWoHP, especially since it should be open when I go to Grad Bash. And if not then, I'll definitely be at POW WOW, which is when Uni wants it to be officially opened.

EPCOT Explorer

Me, too.

There will be SPACE! :D Amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom