Fantasyland expasion phase III - move IASW????

devoy1701

lol it was bound to happen sometime :shrug:

Have you been on Indy, imo far superior to both TOT and HM even though they are great as well.

Do you remember how I started this thread drift by saying "I went on Indy and wasn't nearly as impressed as all of you hyped it up to be"????

:rolleyes:

Yes I've been on Indy and i've stood in the standby queue and experienced all the themeing... That's how I am confidently saying that I think the attraction part of Dinosaur is better than the attraction part of Indy...Indy lacks a storyline on the attraction itself, and the great scenery in the main tomb room with the bridge and giant stone head thing is so shakey dark and loud and you fly through it so fast that you don't even get time to look at everything.

I'm not saying that Indy doesn't have one up (or a couple in that matter) on the queue of Dinosaur...but I do prefer our attraction more.

TalkingHead

Do you remember how I started this thread drift by saying "I went on Indy and wasn't nearly as impressed as all of you hyped it up to be"????

Yes I've been on Indy and i've stood in the standby queue and experienced all the themeing... That's how I am confidently saying that I think the attraction part of Dinosaur is better than the attraction part of Indy...Indy lacks a storyline on the attraction itself, and the great scenery in the main tomb room with the bridge and giant stone head thing is so shakey dark and loud and you fly through it so fast that you don't even get time to look at everything.

I'm not saying that Indy doesn't have one up (or a couple in that matter) on the queue of Dinosaur...but I do prefer our attraction more.

Really? The first room with Mara? The Indy figure holding back the giant doors? The run through the passage with the air darts? The giant boulder?

Hard to believe anyone would say anything in Dinosaur measures up to IJA. Maybe it helps to be a fan of the Indiana Jones trilogy, but still---there's a lot of wonderful theming and adventure in the Indy ride.

(And it doesn't simply use darkness to create tension...)

the-reason14

Really? The first room with Mara? The Indy figure holding back the giant doors? The run through the passage with the air darts? The giant boulder?

Hard to believe anyone would say anything in Dinosaur measures up to IJA. Maybe it helps to be a fan of the Indiana Jones trilogy, but still---there's a lot of wonderful theming and adventure in the Indy ride.

(And it doesn't simply use darkness to create tension...)

I agree with you and I'm not really a fan of the movies. IJA is just a better ride Imo. From the que to the ride itself, Dinosaur doesnt measure up at all. After riding Indy, I shook my head thinking about how much Dinosaur truly lacks. Its a good ride and all, but IJA is a great ride.

_Scar

Isn't a storyline all subjective? The HM technically doesn't have a set storyline, but to some people it does. :shrug:

SirGoofy

Isn't a storyline all subjective? The HM technically doesn't have a set storyline, but to some people it does. :shrug:

Some people may have made up their own storyline, and that's the point, and one of the reasons the old classics are so great. You make up your own story. Not have your hand held the entire time.

devoy1701

subjective i guess. but also subjective in whether certain attractions need a storyline. IMO rides like Space and Thunder dont really need a storyline even though they have a backstory. HM and Pirates do have a storyline (albeit a loose one, though with the timeline of when the Story and Song of the Haunted Mansion was recorded and released prior to the opening of DLs HM, I still hold that that is the official story). The degree to how Dinosaur and Indy are done, I think those rides really do need an active storyline with the speed at which they progress and the way those rides are disigned. With HM and Pirates you have the luxuary of traveling at a leisurely pace in which to take in a whole lot more than you do with Dinosaur and Indy.

Also IMO, while it's nice to see some of the effects from the Indy Trilogy used in the ride as mentioned with the boulder and running through the darts, those are nothing more than just effects, they don't tie together a story. I feel like they simply just put in what everyone thinks when they think of Indy...Boulder, Darts, Snakes, dark forgotteness.

I really think we should just agree to disagree on this one.

Figment632

The storyline is INdy has gone missing and we are looking for him and exploring, vs. bringing a Dino to the future, they seem even to me. Also The theming in the actual ride of INdy is by far bigger and better than dino. DIno has a ton of empty space and a ton of broken effects. Like I said Dino is a good ride but just a good ride (best in DAK imo). Indy is a great ride.

Good point.

RSoxNo1

The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, It's a Small World, and many other classic attractions were more about the experience and less the story. It was a more recent development where a clear story (where something goes wrong) needs to be incorporated with the attraction.

With the Mansion, I think the experience is put togetherer better than some of the other classic attractions as the order of the scenes is still fairly linear. You start outside seeing tombstones, make your way into the foyer and the deeper you get into the mansion, the more you sense the ghosts around you. It's not until you're pushed out of the attic and are dead yourself where you can see the ghosts in the graveyard.

EPCOT Explorer

The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, It's a Small World, and many other classic attractions were more about the experience and less the story. It was a more recent development where a clear story (where something goes wrong) needs to be incorporated with the attraction.

With the Mansion, I think the experience is put togetherer better than some of the other classic attractions as the order of the scenes is still fairly linear. You start outside seeing tombstones, make your way into the foyer and the deeper you get into the mansion, the more you sense the ghosts around you. It's not until you're pushed out of the attic and are dead yourself where you can see the ghosts in the graveyard.

Using that storyline, how do we explain the ball room?

Wilt Dasney

It fits into that story line. they appear and disappear, but they're still translucent. They're also pretty deep into the mansion as well, after the corridor of doors. The ghosts are solid in the graveyard.
Yeah, that makes sense. You're just starting to enter their world, so they're visible to you in fits and starts. I don't think I've ever consciously thought about it, but on a gut level that's how I feel about it.

Off topic, I've always preferred the earlier parts of the Mansion myself, where things are really creepy and you only get hints and suggestions of ghosts. There's kind of a sinister feel because you don't know if they're friendly or not. The graveyard stuff just isn't as fun to me, with them playing checkers and singing and all.

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, that makes sense. You're just starting to enter their world, so they're visible to you in fits and starts. I don't think I've ever consciously thought about it, but on a gut level that's how I feel about it.

Off topic, I've always preferred the earlier parts of the Mansion myself, where things are really creepy and you only get hints and suggestions of ghosts. There's kind of a sinister feel because you don't know if they're friendly or not. The graveyard stuff just isn't as fun to me, with them playing checkers and singing and all.

That's how I felt about it, too, but never thought about it.

...And yeah, I quite agree, but the finale is lots of fun. But the two styles coming together is based on how the Mansions was worked on. One (Crump?) took the front, one took the back. :lol: Though the feel of the two halves don't match, the look does, and like I said, it provides for a "finale" to the experience.

Ahh. Love me some HM.

Wilt Dasney

But the two styles coming together is based on how the Mansions was worked on. One (Crump?) took the front, one took the back. :lol:
Don't think I knew that. It makes a lot of sense. It is almost like two different attractions.

My favorite part of the finale is Little Leota. Brings back that full-on creepy feel from the beginning as a coda to the whole thing. :D

devoy1701

Well in the beginning of the mansion you can hear things happening and you can see the effects the spirits have (footprints in the stairway, pushing against the doors in the corridor of doors, you can even see remnants of the deceased moving (the skeleton trying to get out of the coffin). It's not until you have the seance with Leota do the spirits start to materialize. That's why the Ghost Host actually says "it appears the spirits have heard the bells and are beginning to materialize" (or something along those lines). So that's why in the ballroom you are beginning to see them versus in the end of the attraction the ghosts are solid.

Combine that story line with the Story and Song of the Haunted Mansion AND the Ghost Hosts speech in the stretch you, you're traveling through the mansion trying to find a way out. (no windows and no doors, which offers you this chilling challenge to find a way out) So you're not actually dying yourself as RSoxNo1 mentioned...you're trying to find a way out in hopes that you don't have to use the Ghost Host's way out (killing yourself). Although we're not so much looking for a way out ourselves as we are going where the Ghost Host wants us to go on his "tour". The way we find to get out is climbing through the window in the attic and sliding down the roof of the mansion which leads us to the graveyard.

I love HM. :D

devoy1701

Don't think I knew that. It makes a lot of sense. It is almost like two different attractions.

My favorite part of the finale is Little Leota. Brings back that full-on creepy feel from the beginning as a coda to the whole thing. :D

That's not Leota, that's Constance at the end.

EPCOT Explorer

I'll enumerate a bit more when I get home tonight and get to my books. :lol:

Looks like Constance, but she is referred to as Little Leota.
Well in the beginning of the mansion you can hear things happening and you can see the effects the spirits have (footprints in the stairway, pushing against the doors in the corridor of doors, you can even see remnants of the deceased moving (the skeleton trying to get out of the coffin). It's not until you have the seance with Leota do the spirits start to materialize. That's why the Ghost Host actually says "it appears the spirits have heard the bells and are beginning to materialize" (or something along those lines). So that's why in the ballroom you are beginning to see them versus in the end of the attraction the ghosts are solid.

Combine that story line with the Story and Song of the Haunted Mansion AND the Ghost Hosts speech in the stretch you, you're traveling through the mansion trying to find a way out. (no windows and no doors, which offers you this chilling challenge to find a way out) So you're not actually dying yourself as RSoxNo1 mentioned...you're trying to find a way out in hopes that you don't have to use the Ghost Host's way out (killing yourself). Although we're not so much looking for a way out ourselves as we are going where the Ghost Host wants us to go on his "tour". The way we find to get out is climbing through the window in the attic and sliding down the roof of the mansion which leads us to the graveyard.

I love HM. :D
Awesome. :D LOVE it.

I had always thought you were brought to the Mansion to either buy it, or work in it, and upon seeing how crazy it is, try to find your way out. Is there any truth to that?

Wilt Dasney

I've seen her referred to as Little Leota online more times than I can count. Wiki offers this, for what it's worth:

"Madame Leota has a daughter, Little Leota, who can be seen at the end of the rides."

Whoever she is, she's creepy and I dig her!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom