Fantasyland expasion phase III - move IASW????

Exprcoofto

I'm really saddened that Wonderland is being ignored in this Fantasyland refurb in favor of glorified advertisments for pricess merch and tinker bell direct to video dvds.

Alice in Wonderland, though a boxoffice bomb, has since gone on to become an iconic Disney classic in its own right. Wonderland itself has a huge fanbase of both guys and girls and from what I understand isn't too shabby in merchandising sales. Plus it has the new film from Tim Burton coming out to support it.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to do a full fledged Wonderland area similar to what they have in Paris or maybe even better rather than a tinker bell area? I mean they already have the mad tea party why not add the popular Alice ride from Disneyland or maybe create a new dark ride based on the Burton movie? Have the charecters from both the animated and live action in meet and greets around the area. Maybe even revive Mr.Toad with 1 track and stick it in the area (unrelated story I know but Mr.Toad looks like a wonderland denzen anyway and I think the rides are side by side in California). This area would have been way more of a crowd pleaser. Tinker Bell's demographic is an EXTREMLY small audiance (6-12 year old girls born in the 00s) and ten-twenty years from now these films will not be remembered as fondly as even the Disney afternoon programs such as Gargoyles, Darwing Duck, Ducktales, rescue rangers, etc.

I completely agree. Whether it's a traditional Wonderland or a Tim Burton version of Wonderland, it should be included in this expansion. As you said it appeals to both boys and girls. Plus, for WDI's purpose, Wonderland has a lot to play with and thats noticeable from looking at all the different Wonderland themed attractions/dinning areas in other parks.

As for the blue prints, if you're looking at them, I say remove the PH area and have a "Wonderland" area spread from the Tea Cups all the way through to the Train Station. This means that it could include the Barnstormer as some kind of Wonderland overlay. They could even continue the Wonderland theme down toward MSUSA and take over the Fairytale Garden (currently is story time with Belle, which would no longer be needed). Wonderland could be a grand area with multiple attractions that please different genders and age groups. It's a win win.

the-reason14

I think an Alice ride would have been a great addition to the new FL, but not one based off of Burtons stuff. I rather see the animated "normal" version represented. More rides would have been better, but anything is better than nothing imo.

PhantomX

I completely agree. Whether it's a traditional Wonderland or a Tim Burton version of Wonderland, it should be included in this expansion. As you said it appeals to both boys and girls. Plus, for WDI's purpose, Wonderland has a lot to play with and thats noticeable from looking at all the different Wonderland themed attractions/dinning areas in other parks.

As for the blue prints, if you're looking at them, I say remove the PH area and have a "Wonderland" area spread from the Tea Cups all the way through to the Train Station. This means that it could include the Barnstormer as some kind of Wonderland overlay. They could even continue the Wonderland theme down toward MSUSA and take over the Fairytale Garden (currently is story time with Belle, which would no longer be needed). Wonderland could be a grand area with multiple attractions that please different genders and age groups. It's a win win.

Absoluetly. As a matter of fact when he showed the artwork for the fantasyland expansion and I noticed the pixie hollow area I even thought to myself "wouldn't this make a heck of alot more sense of it was based around Wonderland instead?"

Does anyone have the sales data for the Tinker Bell movies? Are they really selling THAT well to justify this whole area? I also am curious who proposed this area was it the marketing folks or the imagineers themselves. It just seems so random. Might as well add a Black Cauldron area (no wait that would actually be kind of cool!)

Lee

Adventurer
Does anyone have the sales data for the Tinker Bell movies? Are they really selling THAT well to justify this whole area?
Yes. The Fairies seem to be earning their keep:
Tinker Bell, the first movie, made just over $52 million on DVD.
Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure made a little over $51 million in it's first nine weeks of release last year.
In fiscal 2007 the Fairies franchise broght in over $800 million, which almost certainly increased in '08 and '09.

Not too shabby.:shrug:

SirGoofy

Yes. The Fairies seem to be earning their keep:
Tinker Bell, the first movie, made just over $52 million on DVD.
Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure made a little over $51 million in it's first nine weeks of release last year.
In fiscal 2007 the Fairies franchise broght in over $800 million, which almost certainly increased in '08 and '09.

Not too shabby.:shrug:

It's sad that merchandise numbers have to be a factor when building an attraction.:rolleyes::(

Lee

Adventurer
It's sad that merchandise numbers have to be a factor when building an attraction.:rolleyes::(
Kinda...
But merchandise sales is an indicator of a property's popularity, just like box office. Perhaps even more so.

Annoying, I agree. Especially when it get's us something like SGE, where L&S made good money worldwide, but it was the merch that helped push the attraction through.

SirGoofy

Kinda...
But merchandise sales is an indicator of a property's popularity, just like box office. Perhaps even more so.

Annoying, I agree. Especially when it get's us something like SGE, where L&S made good money worldwide, but it was the merch that helped push the attraction through.

It just bugs me that basically nothing original is done anymore.:brick:

EPCOT Explorer

But here's my question.... Why not sell merch of what they build?! Heck, worked for Figment. Works for SM. Works for anything that they build and sell merch on it...:lol:

I would have killed for a TimeKeeper Figure...

RSoxNo1

Kinda...

Merchandise sales is why DCA is getting Carsland instead of a franchise that did better in the box office. I was visiting my 3 1/2 year old nephew a couple weeks ago and I would approximate that he had well over $100 in cars merchandise from toy cars, to the dvd to pijamas. Granted he loves the franchise, but it's become a huge marketing tool for young boys in the same way that Princess and the Frog is great for merchandise for young girls. They may not have reached the level of success that was sought in the box office, but the popularity is there.

_Scar

Once again, your feelings are imaginative, unfactual, and irritating.

Because if it ever gets to the point when people like goof (who should not be compared to previously banned members on any level) are out, and people like you are in, this site has a major, major problem.

Don't you think that was a little mean?

Lee

Adventurer
But here's my question.... Why not sell merch of what they build?! Heck, worked for Figment. Works for SM. Works for anything that they build and sell merch on it...:lol:
Good point. :)

True. Merchandise created and sold for an original attraction will sell.
But....at nowhere near the levels of an established property.
Seriously.
Compare the money that Figment merchandise has made in the last 25 years to what a character like Tink will sell in just one year. Not even close.

SirGoofy

True. Merchandise created and sold for an original attraction will sell.
But....at nowhere near the levels of an established property.
Seriously.
Compare the money that Figment merchandise has made in the last 25 years to what a character like Tink will sell in just one year. Not even close.

I've got a question for you. Do attractions for said popular franchises increase sales for them? I just don't see how that's possible, especially for franchises like the Princesses and Tink.

Lee

Adventurer
I've got a question for you. Do attractions for said popular franchises increase sales for them? I just don't see how that's possible, especially for franchises like the Princesses and Tink.

If I understand the question, yes, in a way.
Take Stitch for example.
AE had merchandise which sold ok in Merchants of Venus..
Stitch moves a ton every day out of that shop.

In the larger scheme of things, what is sold in the parks is a small percentage of the total merch sold for any given franchise. But, naturally, existing, popular franchises and characters outsell original ones. By far, I'm afraid.

Studios Fan

If I understand the question, yes, in a way.
Take Stitch for example.
AE had merchandise which sold ok in Merchants of Venus..
Stitch moves a ton every day out of that shop.

In the larger scheme of things, what is sold in the parks is a small percentage of the total merch sold for any given franchise. But, naturally, existing, popular franchises and characters outsell original ones. By far, I'm afraid.

So are we going to be able to buy more Monsters, Inc. merch at DHS soon? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom