Fantasmic gets cut to just 2 shows per week

jmvd20

Does anyone know what days of the week are most likely to be the days of departure? The reason I ask is because the thought occured to me that perhaps this isn't so much about cutting costs as it is in finding another reason to keep people on property longer. What if Sunday and Wednesday are the biggest days of departure. So, by making Fantasmic more exlusive to only two days, this would force people to extend their vacations by a day or two if they want to see the show badly enough. I'm not sure that this is the reason or not, or if it's even part of the explanation or not. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Maybe Disney isn't really panicking and trying to cut costs as much as is being portrayed. Maybe it's just part of their strategy of giving people reasons to stay on property longer.

Or more than likely, it's a little of both. Maybe they are responding to the gas prices and economic downturns, but their choice of days was determined by researching when most people check out and go home, and scheduling Fantasmic for the next day so as to persuade them to stay one more day. :shrug:

Or, on second thought, that may have nothing to do with it, as people may put off their arrival by one day in order to stay an extra day on the other end.

I was also wondering why out of all the days they would choose Monday and Thursday to run the show, there has to be some reason for it. One would think they would pick the busiest days, but maybe they picked the slowest days to try and boost attendance.

Ciciwoowoo

It is a sad move to see these cast members losing their jobs, getting cut hours, and basically lowering the amount of people that need to be on the payroll.

I can see the reasoning behind it, both economically and to increase the AI attention. AI starts here in the US in January, and I believe that once it is up and running, it is show on Tuesday and Wednesday... Hence, maybe a reasoning behind only showing Fantasmic on Monday and Thursday?

This doesn't explain the weekend of course, but at least gives it a bit more focus.

I've been going to WDW since way back when :) and well, nighttime shows were not always a regular event. Fireworks were not shown every night. Light parades were reserved for weekends and holidays at some point.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I know fantasmic is VERY popular with Disney fans here, and I know that here I am in the minority. However that brings us to the fact that anytime emotions are attached to things, whether it be people, places, or events judgement can be impaired. Just because it is very popular here still does not mean that it is actually bringing people into DHS and therefore making the mouse money.

Saying that WDW really botched this, or that it is a tell tale sign of massive cuts is premature. Perhaps they have something else in the works, we simply dont know yet.

My last comment about people canceling their trips due to this was a bit sarcastic. I know that they are notoriously bad at keeping the schedule updated but at least they did not wait until the last minute to make the announcement.

I guess I am just more optimistic than usual and feel that something else is in the works, or maybe it isn't as bad as we think.
disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

I will cling to your last words and hope for the best.

jmvd20

Dont worry Chicken Little. The sky is not falling!!

Or could those just be some...

Famous last words :lookaroun

Eyorefan

Okay, here is my take on this. I think the average guest will notice. I think the average guest will be really upset. Why? Because I this summer a number of my friends and co-workers have been going to Disney for the first time, or the first time in a long time and they all have said the same thing. "We weren't that impressed with the Studios."

I really think taking Fantasmic away on most nights is going to kill the park. Personally, Fantasmic is the only reason we even bother going DHS. They need to add things, not take away.

I'm sorry, but you either love AI or you hate it, there aren't a lot of people in between. The updated Playhouse Disney and HSM are great, but not going to appeal to anyone out of their target demographics, the TSM line is so long that not many people will ride it more than once, and a I don't know many people planning their trip around seeing the Narnia attraction. In short, I feel like Disney has let the park survive with a band-aid on a gaping wound, and with this latest announcement, ripped the Fantasmic band-aid off and left the park to bleed to death.

This really scares me. First PI, now this. I think the cuts have just begun.

sbkline

I personally don't think the average guest will care too much. By "average guest" I'm referring to those who are making their first trip, or those who only go every now and then but aren't big die hard fans like us. My signature shows the trips I've made (with 2003 being the first time I went with a spouse), and we didn't see Fantasmic until 2007. We didn't really care to see it the first couple times, then decided to do it in 2007 and enjoyed it.

I think your average guest falls into the category of just going to WDW, have fun, see what's there, etc. IMO, most of them won't care about Fantasmic not being available, especially if it's their first trip, because they won't have any experience seeing it, and therefore, won't miss it. It would be like my wife going for the first time in 2003 and finding out that Skyway is gone. What difference does it make to her? She's never been there before, and therefore has no attachment to it, and therefore is only concerned what she sees in front of her right now.

And for many who HAVE gone once or twice, they're likely to chalk it up to things changing. When I went back to the MK in 2000, after 13 years, I noticed that the Skyway was gone, but it wasn't that big of a deal. And in subsequent trips, other things have changed. I wasn't thrilled with the replacement of El Rio with Grand Fiesta. I wasn't thrilled with the refurb of the Living Seas, or the audio replacement of the tour guides in Living With the Land. But I sucked it up and accepted the fact that things change and that WDW is never going to be exactly as it was when my wife and I had a blast together on our honeymoon in 2003. On our first couple trips, there may have even been some things on the programs guide that were unavailable that day and we missed them until the next trip. But we still had fun with what was there and made future trips and caught those attractions then. I think that the majority of average guests who have heard or read about Fantasmic will see that it is unavailable, shrug it off and go have fun somewhere else and really won't dwell too much about it. Even for those who have taken the time to plan out their trip and watch videos and read books (who I believe are the minority, although I could be wrong), and therefore know what Fantasmic is and look forward to seeing it, aren't gonna be all that shaken to find out that it's not available. Ya, they may get ticked off like I might about not being able to ride a particular ride on a particular trip (due to a refurb, rain, or huge crowds, or whatever), but I hardly think it's gonna ruin their trip or make them never go again. Most likely, they'll decide to go play a round of mini-golf instead, head over to Illuminations, go back to the pool, or whatever. But on the trip home, I'll bet that they still talk about how much fun they had, despite missing Fantasmic.

IMO, the only ones who are really gonna be ticked off about this and see it as the sky falling are, well...us. People who have nothing better to do with their lives than post on WDW message boards and go to WDW. :lol: Diehard geeks who go as often as they can (and yes, I'm including myself in that and mean the insult in a lightearted way, so don't take offense). People who have formed emotional attatchments to rides and shows and are therefore heartbroken to see them go...or in this case, go down to two days a week. And how many of us are gonna quit going back because of this? Not very many. Because we still have too much fun down there to call it quits on WDW because we can only watch this show on two different days now.

vickyvale

let's all remember that in the same release it was stated that additional performances would be added during busier periods. this isn't so different than when the studios closed at 6pm most of the year and fantasy in the sky only took place on weekends - mid 90's. it wasn't about a horrible attendance slump but rather about being a bit smarter on how things were available. if, other than fantasmic which doens't generate money such as the restaurants and shops, the rest of the studios is generally dead after 7pm, then maybe it's best those guests take part in other finale shows on property.

i'm not a big fan of wdw's fantasmic, but it's not going away...just slowing down a bit.

btw, the busiest arrival and departure dates on property are sundays and thursdays.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
let's all remember that in the same release it was stated that additional performances would be added during busier periods. this isn't so different than when the studios closed at 6pm most of the year and fantasy in the sky only took place on weekends - mid 90's. it wasn't about a horrible attendance slump but rather about being a bit smarter on how things were available. if, other than fantasmic which doens't generate money such as the restaurants and shops, the rest of the studios is generally dead after 7pm, then maybe it's best those guests take part in other finale shows on property.

Problem is, we arent in the 90s any more. The standard has been set, in that guests now expect to have a nighttime spectacular to end the day. They are used to Fantasmic being performed every single night, just as they expect Wishes and IllumiNations to be running every single night.

Yes we can try to come up with theories about how cutting it to twice per week is a good thing, but in the end, the guests lose out, it is as simple as that.

CTXRover

Hopefully the decision is simply a way to fight off what is sounding to be expected lower attendance for all the theme parks in Orlando in early 2009. I can appreciate cost containment in any company during tough times to either insure they remain stable throughout those tougher times and/or possibly to allow cost savings to fund other potential projects during less than optimal economic times. A number of strategies went into effect post 2001, allowing the parks to rebound nicely, and most of those areas hit hardest in 2001-2003 have reverted back or better than before (with some exceptions).

I hate the precedent it sets though. However, it wasn't that long ago, relatively speaking, that MK didn't have a nightly fireworks show. It isn't completely out there to have night-time entertainment sporadically throughout the week, even for MGM which used to only show Sorcery in the Sky during peak periods before Fantasmic started. However, I still don't like it and agree with Steve when he states that the precedent to expect nightly entertainment has been set.

I also don't buy the whole "we've invested in new experiences" PR spin. I just hope that when the economy rebounds (it will) and leisure travel and attendance rebounds (it will), that they will reconsider the decision and restart nightly performances.

KaliSplash

I'm not happy about this. But let's be real here.

It's January.

People who go to Walt Disney World in January don't get to see and do as many things as those who go on the Fourth of July. That's just the way it is.

One of the water parks is always closed in January. The parks close earlier. Some things are closed for minor refurbs that wouldn't be closed in prime spring break time.

I don't think the World is coming to an end.

I do understand this represents a decline in what's being offered. But JP is right, they are offering a number of other things. (And yes, they are not all things that appeal to many of us here) Clearly, they do want to make AI a hit and January is the time to do that, when it hits the air on television, as well.

If it's still doing just 2 or 3 nights a week in late February or into March, then we should worry.

(Which could happen. The economy is not well.

But for now, don't worry so much. It's January

CThaddeus

Strangely, Fantasmic! is the one nighttime show at Disney World I have zero interest in watching. I saw it first in 2000, and was thoroughly disappointed. Of course, that's probably due to seeing Disneyland's Fantasmic! so often and finding the changes made to it for Disney-MGM's version less than stellar. It seemed like it had been done on the cheap, relying much more heavily on mist screen projections, not building the pirate ship for the Peter Pan scene (and dumping in a kind of lame Pocahontas scene), and adding WAY more villains than was necessary (all the laughing and screaming is a bit much for me).
I decided in 2007 to give it another shot, and was just as disappointed. I like the auditorium devoted exclusively to it, but other than that...I should have just skipped it and gone on a few other attractions again.
In any event, I won't miss it. Or rather, I plan on missing it...every time I go unless they seriously change it. I know I obviously don't speak for many on this board, but I'd rather watch Reflections of Earth and Wishes every night of my trip. I'm happy to save Fantasmic! for my frequent visits to Disneyland.
Come to think of it, the show they really should have shuttered (or just cut back on) was Lights, Motors, Action. Such a waste of a once decent Backlot Tour's residential area...and think of all the gas they would have saved!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not happy about this. But let's be real here.

It's January.

People who go to Walt Disney World in January don't get to see and do as many things as those who go on the Fourth of July. That's just the way it is.

That isnt really a fair comparison though is it. July 4 is a special event day, and cant be used as a comparison to day in January. Using that argument, any day in a peak period the guest isnt going to see as many special events as they do on July 4.

If you attend the park on any given day in July, you get 3 night shows. Up until this announcement, that was also true for January. Yes the hours are shorter in January, and always have been, but in recent years, the actual offerings on any given day are just as extensive as those at any other time of the year.

I dont think people are blaming Disney for the decision, they have to do what they have to do. I think the concern is more for that fact that this is showing that they are forecasting rough times ahead. Those of us that were following things in 2001/2002 remember all to well what happens during those times, and how many things go byebye. Some never to return.

wdwmomof3

Problem is, we arent in the 90s any more. The standard has been set, in that guests now expect to have a nighttime spectacular to end the day. They are used to Fantasmic being performed every single night, just as they expect Wishes and IllumiNations to be running every single night.

Yes we can try to come up with theories about how cutting it to twice per week is a good thing, but in the end, the guests lose out, it is as simple as that.

You are exactly right. We have been spoiled and I want to keep it that way. Especially since we don't go every single year like some folks do. :(

This could be really bad news for DHS. Clearly the move will not have been taken lightly, but speaking for myself, I wouldn't bother visiting DHS if Fantasmic wasn't on - there just isn't enough to do. I do think Fantasmic comes in a distant third of the three night-time shows at WDW, but it's still good, and an essential part of a day at the Studios.

If the projections of attendance are that awful that they're taking this extremely drastic step (driving a stake through the heart of DHS when they have spent so much time and money trying to build it up again over the last year or so) then one assumes there will be some other unwelcome changes coming too.

sbkline

Once again, I really don't think this move will hurt the business of the park. As I explained, I think the only ones who will possibly avoid the park are WDW regulars who have spent alot of time at WDW, done much of what there is to do, established alot of favorites and traditions and have gotten to a point where they may already spend mimimal time at one park or another. These kind of people may only visit DHS for one or two rides, or for Fantasmic, and may choose to spend more time at Epcot, MK or AK as a result of this.

But, IMO, the average group that comes down to WDW (accounting for the majority of attendance) are the irregular visitors...many first time visitors who won't know any different...or perhaps people who haven't been in a while. People who just go to have fun, visit each park and experience what they can. I don't think they're gonna scrap their trip, or their visit to DHS because Fantasmic is missing. They'll spend the day at DHS, have a good time, then go back to the hotel, or go do something else. I really don't think the majority of guests are going to be nearly as upset as some of you think they will be. In a place the size of Manhattan, with 4 theme parks, two water parks, two mini-golf courses and numerous dining venues and other activities, I don't think the cutback of one nightime finale show is going to have that much of an effect on WDW. Like I said, they'll just find something else to do and have just as much fun.

But maybe there's more regulars and die hards than I'm assumming. :shrug:

Speaking for my family, this doesn't really bother me much (other than the implication that this may be due to a bad economic outlook and the problems that this could bring, both in real life and at WDW). We'll either plan to visit DHS on a day where Fantasmic is offered, or we'll just not worry about it and find plenty else to do and have a great trip. Actually, we'll be taking our son with us on our next trip. He's two now, but we have no trip currently planned, so I don't know how old he'll be when we take him. But he may be too young to want to sit there for an hour waiting for the show anyway, so there's a good chance we may not bother taking him to see it regardless of whether it's two nights a week or every night of the week. We'll find stuff to do appropriate for a family with a small child and his needs, and we'll have a good time in whatever we do, I'm sure. And I think this is how it will be for the majority of visitors.

hrcollectibles

Sadly, it's true, everyone.

I went tonight, and as a former PAC/F! trainer, I still have my friends who are still statused to PAC/F!.

And I was told by one of them tonight before the 1030 show that they were informed today before opening the theater for the 9pm show that F! was being cut to 2 shows a week.

I even spoke to one of the entertainment cast members in the cast parking lot on my way out (entertainment wasn't informed until AFTER the 1030 show) who expressed his anger and disappointment when he overheard my friend telling someone over the phone of the decision to us.

what does PAC/F! mean?

hrcollectibles

Cmdr_Crimson;3016770[B said:
]This is like saying Illuminations will do one show a week just using 3 bottle rockets and a big guy in his undershorts holding a sparkler for the finale with his rendition of "We go on."[/B]
I'm sorry but this sounds to Bus driver-ish to me..

Finally a role perfect for me...:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom