Fantasmic gets cut to just 2 shows per week

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I agree for the most part that there are things they do to themselves that make it difficult to recover from, but unless my recollection is wrong when my bride and I honeymooned at WDW in November of 02, F! was not a nightly show. I may be mistaken.

I can't ever think of a timeframe when Fantasmic did not have at least one show per night. It's been a staple in the park ever since it opened.

The number of nightly performances has changed with demand, ranging from 3 per night to 1 per night.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Could it be that what JP has posted is actually true? The Disney Company (which seems to know what they are doing) see that there are now too many night time choices at DHS and has chosen to scale back some of the offerings?

I cant see how there can possibly be too many night choices at the Studios. There isnt another night show at the Studios. It is basically Fantasmic! or nothing. :shrug:

Fantasmic! is one of the most popular night shows on property. It is still regularly packing the house on the first show. I can totally understand going down to one show per night, but going to no shows per night hints purely and squarly at severe cost cutting going on. I cant see any other explaination for it.

ChuckFromCanada

Parrothead & Disney Fanatic.
Fantasmic! is my and my wife's favorite show, we actually find it very hard and annoying to get to see it now with the crowds as they are I cannot believe the powers that be would cut back on this show. I personally think it should be moved to MK or elsewhere into a bigger theater (don't know where before people freak out) .I think its time Disney rethink they're management with the decisions going on there lately.

Jerm

Not that I ever go out of my way to see Fantasmic! (have the real one back at DL) but this is getting a bit out of control!!!! This is a "we have slow times right now...so lets get ready for the worst down the line and make it so people don't want to come back.......because our guest requested it" Also this is going mean that DHS will be SLOW on those nights when Fan is not going, because everyone will have already run to MK or Epcot for the night shows, well as long as they spent the money on the hopper.

DisneyWales

I hope that this is nothing more than a short term attempt to save some money given the current economic markets.

However i believe running just 2 shows a week is a terrible idea, if they need to reduce the number of shows, i would much prefer they cut to say 4/5 a week, still saving, but still ensuring that people can see if over an average 3 day trip.

I think unless this is part of a possible rehab i.e. rehab on dark days yet still run on the other days (but that just don't makes sense in my head, but its what i wish is happening), Disney could well be doing more damage long term than good with this.

They are sending a bad message to returning guests to Disney. I don't know this just gives me a bad feeling of things to come.....!

nibblesandbits

The entire reason for multiple show nights is because the first show ALWAYS fills to capacity. And when you have 30,000+ people in the park, and a theater that only holds 7900+, you're really not left with much more of a choice but to offer a second (or on some nights a third) showing for those who are frustrated they couldn't get into the first one. It also offers those who want one last ride on Tower or Coaster or TSM or whatever ride they choose before park close.

Disney will probably cite guest surveys and lower attendance as the reasoning. Which is crap, considering Fantasmic still has a high approval rating, and is still one of the attractions that a lot of guests plan their entire trips around.

I will say this: After informed of the news last night, I also got wind that cutting F! down to two nights a week has something to do with American Idol. I don't know what exactly, but that's what's going around apparently.
If it is b/c of AI, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Reasoning...1. not everyone likes AI and 2. if this has anything to do with getting people to see the final show of the night...why couldn't they perform the final show prior to F! and then show Fantasmic a little later.

Now, I'm not against AI coming in...however, this move, if motivated by AIE opening up...is a poor decision. (If it's monetarily related, you can't blame that one.) However, to me, what with the release that came out about the info...it would appear AIE related.

DisneyNut2007

They're not what YOU want to see. Don't go putting "we" in there when it's really just a sweeping generalization There are plenty of people who look forward to these new attractions. I don't care for Narnia, Playhouse, or Idol, but there are plenty of fans out there who do care

Exactly. Such sweeping generalizations should NEVER be made.

nibblesandbits

Not that I ever go out of my way to see Fantasmic! (have the real one back at DL) but this is getting a bit out of control!!!! This is a "we have slow times right now...so lets get ready for the worst down the line and make it so people don't want to come back.......because our guest requested it" Also this is going mean that DHS will be SLOW on those nights when Fan is not going, because everyone will have already run to MK or Epcot for the night shows, well as long as they spent the money on the hopper.
I agree...it's understandable to cut costs...but it just seems like lately, that's all they're doing.

And you're exactly right. If they keep cutting things the way they are, instead of taking other routes to cut, like room rates or other discounts...guests aren't going to be keen on coming back. They are going to think now, why should I go to visit? I can't see my favorite characters during dinner now. Why should I go back now? They took away the clubs that I like to frequent every time I visit. I don't need to go back now...they took Fantasmic away on most nights. It will then take Disney a lot to then convince people that coming back (especially us regulars) is worth it.

As I mentioned before...it seems Disney really is shooting itself in the foot with these tactics. Because the more they keep taking away...the less likely it is people are going to want to visit. If, as someone else mentioned, they actually gave us an incentive for wanting to go, then they might see revenues stabilizing or at least maybe not dropping as drastically as they currently seem forecasted to be.

coasterphil

Now, I'm not against AI coming in...however, this move, if motivated by AIE opening up...is a poor decision. (If it's monetarily related, you can't blame that one.) However, to me, what with the release that came out about the info...it would appear AIE related.
Don't put much stock into those releases from Disney, they have to try and spin them positively. They aren't going to say that this decision is part of drastic cost cutting measures when they can hide behind the "significant new attractions and shows" instead.

nibblesandbits

Don't put much stock into those releases from Disney, they have to try and spin them positively. They aren't going to say that this decision is part of drastic cost cutting measures when they can hide behind the "significant new attractions and shows" instead.
Oh trust me...I'm not.

I know more than likely this was just cost cutting methods. However, we don't know if the opening of AIE was helping them add more fuel to the fire persay...

Of course AIE their "out" though. Their way of saying, look...we're taking this away...but look what we're giving you instead. You get to stand outside and watch people perform, instead of seeing the massively talented staff we have here on property. :rolleyes:

wdwmomof3

I don't know about the rest of you but I was a little shocked to see this. :lookaroun I know that they must cut back on some things but I wouldn't have thought it would be a night time show. If they cut Wishes back I will be sick. It's already so hard to get around in the parks at night for these things, and I go in the off season.

Why doesn't Disney offer better room discounts or something to bring people in? I for one, do not want to give up my Disney trips, and I know that most of us feel this way, but if they are cutting back to much, I'll wait until things get better again. I sure don't want to pay a small fortune and get there and feel cheated out of some of our favorites. It's hard to plan already, this will make it worse. :dazzle:

nibblesandbits

Which, as you know, is totally untrue!

Where are the more sane members like Enderikari and Wannab@dis when you need them?
Um...of course I'm aware they aren't only cutting things...I'm not one of those "it's the end of the world" type people. I am very much a realist and I think my past posts have proved that fact.

Do I doubt that the Disney company is also in a financial pickle? No...not even close. I'm sure they are being heavily affected by this economic downturn. However, I do agree with some of the others who state that there is the possibility that Disney could choose other methods besides getting rid of a bunch of things, as of late, to help increase their fledging profits. Instead of turning people off by removing things. Removing things can't be making people want to come and visit the parks any more. "Ooh! They removed showings of Fantasmic! Let's go down now!" :rolleyes:

Oh...and thank you...I appreciate you questioning my sanity...:rolleyes:

sbkline

Does anyone know what days of the week are most likely to be the days of departure? The reason I ask is because the thought occured to me that perhaps this isn't so much about cutting costs as it is in finding another reason to keep people on property longer. What if Sunday and Wednesday are the biggest days of departure. So, by making Fantasmic more exlusive to only two days, this would force people to extend their vacations by a day or two if they want to see the show badly enough. I'm not sure that this is the reason or not, or if it's even part of the explanation or not. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Maybe Disney isn't really panicking and trying to cut costs as much as is being portrayed. Maybe it's just part of their strategy of giving people reasons to stay on property longer.

Or more than likely, it's a little of both. Maybe they are responding to the gas prices and economic downturns, but their choice of days was determined by researching when most people check out and go home, and scheduling Fantasmic for the next day so as to persuade them to stay one more day. :shrug:

Or, on second thought, that may have nothing to do with it, as people may put off their arrival by one day in order to stay an extra day on the other end.

Vernonpush

Or maybe it's a way to get more people to add the "Park Hopper" option to their MYW tickets. There are 4 parks, only 2 will have nightime shows, gotta hop to a park with the show ( or just hang out at the Boardwalk area or monorail resorts).

jmvd20

It is as popular and as big a draw as everyone thinks it is. The only thing now is that maybe they think that TSM and AI will be enough that they can try and cut costs and not see too big a drop without Fantasmic.

Right, we here on a Disney board know that Fantsamic is huge draw and the only thing keeping the studios alive, and of course the highest rated night show at WDW.

Yet, the people who make their living running WDW simply decide to shutter it for 5 nights a week knowing full well how huge of a draw and how popular it is... doutbful

Sorry folks but they know some things that we do not, no matter what anyone wants to believe.

Also making an announcement almost 6 months ahead of time gives everyone ample time to cancel their vacations...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Right, we here on a Disney board know that Fantsamic is huge draw and the only thing keeping the studios alive, and of course the highest rated night show at WDW.

Yet, the people who make their living running WDW simply decide to shutter it for 5 nights a week knowing full well how huge of a draw and how popular it is... doutbful

Sorry folks but they know some things that we do not, no matter what anyone wants to believe.

Also making an announcement almost 6 months ahead of time gives everyone ample time to cancel their vacations...

Very small Poll numbers (2500 participants), but here on WDWMAGIC, Fantasmic is the number 1 night show. See http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=56191

I wouldnt say that it is holding together the Studios, but having a great night show is certainly something that has been a staple of the successful parks. Look at IllumiNations, that show propped up people staying at Epcot till 9pm for 20 years!

The announcement doesnt really help anyone but the diehard fans who stay tuned to this kind of information. The vast majority of guests dont care or even think about opening hours and rehabs until they check in. Then they look at the times guide and realise things arent quite the way they should be.

jmvd20

Very small Poll numbers (2500 participants), but here on WDWMAGIC, Fantasmic is the number 1 night show. See http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=56191

I wouldnt say that it is holding together the Studios, but having a great night show is certainly something that has been a staple of the successful parks. Look at IllumiNations, that show propped up people staying at Epcot till 9pm for 20 years!

The announcement doesnt really help anyone but the diehard fans who stay tuned to this kind of information. The vast majority of guests dont care or even think about opening hours and rehabs until they check in. Then they look at the times guide and realise things arent quite the way they should be.

I know fantasmic is VERY popular with Disney fans here, and I know that here I am in the minority. However that brings us to the fact that anytime emotions are attached to things, whether it be people, places, or events judgement can be impaired. Just because it is very popular here still does not mean that it is actually bringing people into DHS and therefore making the mouse money.

Saying that WDW really botched this, or that it is a tell tale sign of massive cuts is premature. Perhaps they have something else in the works, we simply dont know yet.

My last comment about people canceling their trips due to this was a bit sarcastic. I know that they are notoriously bad at keeping the schedule updated but at least they did not wait until the last minute to make the announcement.

I guess I am just more optimistic than usual and feel that something else is in the works, or maybe it isn't as bad as we think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom