Fantasmic gets cut to just 2 shows per week

mrssparrow

Is attendance/revenue at the parks really that bad to make them do this? I keep hearing that the crowds are bigger than ever, all year long.

Just the other day we were at our travel agent finalizing our trip next month and picking up the pack of goodies.... she stated that disney was booked solid on her end for all of august and september. When this happens, there are very very very few rooms that can be had and I believe disney holds on to these rooms for themselves to sell. If this is the case, I can't see how attendance is in fact low.

Aside from that, we have our ever lowering dollar value that other countries are taking advantage of and travelling as well. I can't see that crowds are lowering unless they are basing it on current reservations they have..as another poster stated......

Disneyfanman

Wow. I just don't know what to say here. Fantasmic is one of the absolute "must dos" of our annual vacation. We actually use park hoppers partly so that we can go to the Studios and see Fantasmic, because we can not find enough to do there for a full day. I was thinking that might change now with Idol and TSM, but still.........Wow. This will save us a lot of money because we will probably skip using hoppers.

My prediction. This is going to seriously impact the Studios attendance. Not just night time attendance, but total attendance. If we are going to skip a park now, it will be the Studios. If we have four days to go, then we will include them. Lots of time though, we have three days and combine AK with DS. Without Fantasmic, I can tell you right now who would win. Despite TSM.

Bookings must be really down. I guess that this is better than the idea of closing full parks for a day each week. But I don't have to like it.

jt04

I have a few takes on this......

Could be they really want to make sure that AI has a full theater and/or they think there will be sufficient demand that they will need a larger venue for the daily finally show of AI and will need this theater for that. Not that they will fill the theater but they don't want anyone turned away as they might be if held in the much smaller "ABC Theater".

Could be that they are going to be doing some major modifications and refurbs to the Fantasmic show/theater but they do not want to shut the production down completely.

Could be they are weening the public off the show because they have bigger and better future plans for that section of the park. Perhaps a new hotel or maybe a 1950's Hollywood section or something even better (Immersive Star Wars land?, Indiana Jones land?)

or.....

Could be temporary cost cutting (meh). Cost cutting is the least likely of all of these.

Disney05

People are worried about tough times and cut backs. But hasn't Disney been posting record profits and attendance? And there are new hotels being built on property. I'm sure Disney still has big plan's ahead that no one knows about. I think they'll be ok. We seem to be in panic mode. Is it that unless Disney is adding huge attractions on a yearly basis, we think there's dark times ahead?

jt04

People are worried about tough times and cut backs. But hasn't Disney been posting record profits and attendance? And there are new hotels being built on property. I'm sure Disney still has big plan's ahead that no one knows about. I think they'll be ok. We seem to be in panic mode. Is it that unless Disney is adding huge attractions on a yearly basis, we think there's dark times ahead?

You nailed it, people are in panic mode. WDW is not cost cutting for the most part. It is more re-strategizing how they do business from the top down in an attempt to create better guest experiences. Patience will be rewarded.:)

RSoxNo1

jt, that's somewhat reassuring that you don't feel this is entirely a cost cutting measure. In reality, how difficult would it be for the American Idol performers to sing on the fantasmic stage? Or are you envisioning a video screen being brought out with a live feed?

normdisney

I'm not happy we see Fantasmic everytime we are down. My favorite show and I have been there all times of the year and it is always packed.

This is not a smart move you will have HUGE crowds on the day's it is showing.:(

jt04

jt, that's somewhat reassuring that you don't feel this is entirely a cost cutting measure. In reality, how difficult would it be for the American Idol performers to sing on the fantasmic stage? Or are you envisioning a video screen being brought out with a live feed?

Actually, if this did come to pass I think they would build a floating stage with all the AI staging. Then they would just moor it to the side where the seats are. Then they could just float it back stage for Fantasmic shows. That is not the most likely scenario though. I really think Fantasmic may need some maintenance and they do not want to shut the production down while doing the work. It would also divert the crowds to AI and ensure a full house for the new show. Then it is a win-win as they say.......somewhere.

MousDad

Speaking of Chicken Little, I just had a thought that made me shudder. It seems to me the next logical step in this progression (should things get worse) is to limit the other night time shows also. What if contingency plan 2 or 3 calls for 1 nightly show on property per night? (Wishes 3x week, Ill 2x, F! 2x)

Don't be ridiculous, you say. Well, imagine how Kevin Yee or Jim Hill would have been lambasted a week ago if one predicted that Fantasmic! would be cut to 2 shows per week.

I'm not panicking or saying it will happen, but I think it's logical to assume it's on the table, given how drastic and unexpected this cut was.

dreamscometrue

I don't think that this decision has anything to do with expected low attendance next year. It seems as though the high oil prices and economy have people over reacting a bit in terms of the affect (effect?) on WDW visitors.

In 2002, there was a 'perfect storm' of events that hurt the travel industry. Airline travel had plummeted as people were concerned about safety, there was an overall downturn in the U.S. economy, many Americans decided to vacation closer to home, there was a worldwide recession, and international travel to the US was down significantly. All of these factors combined to reduce WDW attendance at each park by 4% to 8%. Although those numbers are significant, they are not catastrophic. I would also suggest that part of that decline could be attributed to the post mellenium fallout (it seemed as though everyone went in 2000) and, perhaps more of a factor, WDW appeared to be going through a brief period of stagnation at the parks. (During the next few years they added Mission Space, Soarin', Everest...you get the idea).

I just don't believe that all of the factors in 2009 (and in the foreseeable future) will combine this way again.

One other interesting note. A search of theme park attendance the past 5 years shows that WDW has experienced an overall increase in attendance of a whopping 24.64% (2003-2007). Individually, each park has increased as follows: MK:21.9%; MGM/DHS:21.9%; Epcot:27.1%; DAK:30.0%. I state these figures to show that even a 5% decrease next year would put attendance at about 2006 levels, the second highest attendance numbers in WDW history.

sbkline

I don't think that this decision has anything to do with expected low attendance next year. It seems as though the high oil prices and economy have people over reacting a bit in terms of the affect (effect?) on WDW visitors.

In 2002, there was a 'perfect storm' of events that hurt the travel industry. Airline travel had plummeted as people were concerned about safety, there was an overall downturn in the U.S. economy, many Americans decided to vacation closer to home, there was a worldwide recession, and international travel to the US was down significantly. All of these factors combined to reduce WDW attendance at each park by 4% to 8%. Although those numbers are significant, they are not catastrophic. I would also suggest that part of that decline could be attributed to the post mellenium fallout (it seemed as though everyone went in 2000) and, perhaps more of a factor, WDW appeared to be going through a brief period of stagnation at the parks. (During the next few years they added Mission Space, Soarin', Everest...you get the idea).

I just don't believe that all of the factors in 2009 (and in the foreseeable future) will combine this way again.

One other interesting note. A search of theme park attendance the past 5 years shows that WDW has experienced an overall increase in attendance of a whopping 24.64% (2003-2007). Individually, each park has increased as follows: MK:21.9%; MGM/DHS:21.9%; Epcot:27.1%; DAK:30.0%. I state these figures to show that even a 5% decrease next year would put attendance at about 2006 levels, the second highest attendance numbers in WDW history.

Interesting points. Another point that I made earlier, which seems to have been glossed over, is that WDW is making this "cut" at the same time that they are forking out alot of money adding several new things to the Studios.

If it were truly a budget cut made in response to dire forecasts in the economy and upcoming attendance, then I would think that they would halt any new additions, such as scrapping plans for TSM and AI in addition to cutting back on Fantasmic. The fact that they are making this move with Fantasmic at the same time that they are adding several new things, indicates to me, that perhaps it's simply part of a strategy for where the park is headed, and not out of budgetary concerns.

awalkinthepark

OK there is concern over what to do with the performers on the nights the show is dark.

Do the same performers cover the show all 7 nights now or are there different groups for different nights?

What happens with the Spectro performers when that parade isn't running that night....there are times of the year where that only shows twice a week...are they filling in elsewhere? working a different shift as a friend of a character? flipping burgers and frying nuggets at Cosmic Rays? And yes I realize that F! is probably more complex than the Spectro parade..but wouldn't that mean Disney would want to make sure those performers aren't going anywhere?

Maybe there is a big song and dance spectacular at the end of the AI show.

dreamscometrue

Interesting points. Another point that I made earlier, which seems to have been glossed over, is that WDW is making this "cut" at the same time that they are forking out alot of money adding several new things to the Studios.

If it were truly a budget cut made in response to dire forecasts in the economy and upcoming attendance, then I would think that they would halt any new additions, such as scrapping plans for TSM and AI in addition to cutting back on Fantasmic. The fact that they are making this move with Fantasmic at the same time that they are adding several new things, indicates to me, that perhaps it's simply part of a strategy for where the park is headed, and not out of budgetary concerns.

I agree. I don't think this signals any expected poor forecast for the parks. This decision is a step in an overall strategy and is the start of a move towards something else. I'm sure it's been well researched and will be very closely monitored. The Disney execs know exactly how popular Fantasmic! is and how many people have been there for every show since it opened. There is a definite raeson for any changes.

It's actually funny (but fun) how we discuss, debate and speculate on why certain decisions are being made, when we know full well that there are plans in the works for many years to come. When I read books on imagineering the parks, etc., the thing that always amazes me is ideas that came to fruition 10, 15 ever 20 years after conception.

jt04

Speaking of Chicken Little, I just had a thought that made me shudder. It seems to me the next logical step in this progression (should things get worse) is to limit the other night time shows also. What if contingency plan 2 or 3 calls for 1 nightly show on property per night? (Wishes 3x week, Ill 2x, F! 2x)

Don't be ridiculous, you say. Well, imagine how Kevin Yee or Jim Hill would have been lambasted a week ago if one predicted that Fantasmic! would be cut to 2 shows per week.

I'm not panicking or saying it will happen, but I think it's logical to assume it's on the table, given how drastic and unexpected this cut was.

It is not a "cut".

jt04

^When Haunted Mansion was refurbed nobody called it a "cut back" as they spent multi-millions of dollars on the upgrade. Same thing with Fantasmic is my guess.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

TSM and AI were approved long ago when everything was rosey. Once you commit to projects of those sizes, there is no going back.

The cut backs we are seeing now are things that can be done quickly and easily. It's fairly easy to turn off a show with a few months notice.

jt04

TSM and AI were approved long ago when everything was rosey. Once you commit to projects of those sizes, there is no going back.

The cut backs we are seeing now are things that can be done quickly and easily. It's faily easy to turn off a show with a few months notice.

Are you hearing this has nothing to do with maintenance? It really seems odd that they would eliminate so many performances of a key attraction to save a few dollars. I just believe this has to do with more than saving money. But I could be wrong, it's happened a couple times :wave:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Are you hearing this has nothing to do with maintenance? It really seems odd that they would eliminate so many performances of a key attraction to save a few dollars. I just believe this has to do with more than saving money. But I could be wrong, it's happened a couple times :wave:

We dont have any confirmation yet on this. However, the info from Disney on this is not making any reference to a refurbishment. Generally, if something is going down for refurbishment, they will say so. That way, guests dont become irritated, because they know it's being worked on, and not simply sitting there empty.

Fantasmic has also had constant maintenance. With the show running at night, they have been able to work on it during the daytime and avoid any downtime. It has recently had new audio, lighting, new mountain scape, new pyro on the boat, and other improvements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom