Fantasmic gets cut to just 2 shows per week

PhotoDave219

Casting already did a lot of the Ent CM's at Fant! dirty when Block Party opened. Now Block Party is tied into Fant! so I wonder what that will mean when the new casting comes up.

Drew, you know thats because Block Party has contracted out the stunt performers. You also know thats because regular Ent CMs kept getting hurt and couldn't constistantly do the performances. They had their chance and they F'd it up. Whatcha gonna do? :shrug:

daliseurat

I would guess that this is all ENTIRELY about American Idol Experience, and once the busier season arrives FANTASMIC will go back to nightly operation. Virtually every decision like this has never become permanent. And Disney will know really fast by nighttime attendance numbers if this is a terrrible decision or not.

PhotoDave219

This decision has a bigger impact on the park as a whole. The Studios was just beginning to come back to life after years of being at the bottom of the pack. Mania, Block Party, Idol, the new name - were all signs that there was a push to get the Studios back up there. Losing a nightshow is a major major blow to the park. Guests nowadays expect a nightshow, they are going to be dissapointed to find it not running when they visit. Secondly, on the two nights were it does run, it's going to be beyond chaotic with everyone trying to see the show - this is again going to lead to unhappy guests.

For the good of the park and the guests. Let's hope attendence picks up, and Disney can get the show running nightly again.

I think we're headed into the bad old days of 2002-2003, attendance wise.

Personally, i'm down to my last WDW trip for a long time this summer. I can't afford the AP, price of gas or plane tickets anymore. The real-world cost of living -food and gas prices doubling every 18 months - doesn't keep up with my salary. I just can't afford it anymore and to keep food on the table.

CaptainMichael

One would be price of fuels. They do use an awful lot of natural gas all over the World, and that stuff ain't cheap! I know they have their own power plant too, but what do you think they use to create that power? Everything costs more money, and corners have to be cut, I also love the show and would feel sad if it were cut to just 2 shows a week, but having an open mind I realize some of the possible reasons they need to do this. Things are tuff all over, even for Disney. But it's better than raising rates big time to make up for the faster than light cost of fuels rising. :shrug:

Natural gas actually isn't that expensive and quite plentiful in the U.S. However, this is definitely related to petrol prices and a dreadful economy. I imagine that the inferno barge will be cut from Illuminations if it hasn't already...big waste of ga$.

It's only going to get worse before it gets better. :( One less thing to do at night at WDW...

DisneyPirate85

We try to catch F! every other trip so we can see other Shows during our June/July trip. It sucks to see it go to 2 nights a week but I also understand with the Slow down in the economy (No matter what Bush and Congress says) its a reality that you have to try to cut and save somewhere. After all "The show must go on" right? We will make this a positive note and just see another show we have not seen yet, ALWAYS try to see the better side of it.:wave:

Mstr Gra-c

I can confirm "randomdude657" is correct...

We are continually focused on providing the best possible experiences for our Guests who visit the Walt Disney World® Resort. Within the last six months, we have added significant new attractions and shows at Disney’s Hollywood Studios™, including Block Party Bash, Toy Story Midway Mania!, Pixar Place and Journey Into Narnia: Prince Caspian.

Coming in October 2008 will be the recently announced “High School Musical 3: Senior Year” and later this year, Disney’s Hollywood Studios™ will host the annual Night of Joy event for the first time and welcome back ABC Super Soap Weekend. At the same time, we have continued to update existing offerings such as Playhouse Disney—Live On Stage! Next year, the park will unveil The American Idol Experience, host the first Grad Nite events at Disney’s Hollywood Studios™ and welcome back ESPN: The Weekend and Star Wars Weekends.

We regularly evaluate and refine our operations. At the same time we unveil The American Idol Experience in January 2009, we will make an adjustment to our operation by offering Fantasmic! on select evenings each week. Fantasmic! will be performed two times weekly –generally Mondays and Thursdays - and more often during our busiest times of the year.

On nights when Fantasmic! is not performed, Guests (with appropriate ticket media) will continue to have the opportunity to enjoy nightly fireworks spectaculars such as Wishes at the Magic Kingdom® Park and IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth at Epcot®.

Showtimes will be published for Guests in the Times Guide, which is available at the theme parks, and online at disneyworld.com.

But all of the stuff in bold is NOT what we want to see...we want plans for blockbuster rides, attractions and shows...not crappy American Idol and Playhouse Disney!!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Sure, lets cut back on attractions and then raise prices. That will make people come and spend their hard earned money in droves. :brick:

DDuckFan130

But all of the stuff in bold is NOT what we want to see...we want plans for blockbuster rides, attractions and shows...not crappy American Idol and Playhouse Disney!!
They're not what YOU want to see. Don't go putting "we" in there when it's really just a sweeping generalization :lol: There are plenty of people who look forward to these new attractions. I don't care for Narnia, Playhouse, or Idol, but there are plenty of fans out there who do care :shrug:

Vernonpush

Hopefully, there won't be thunderstorms on the nights for Fantasmic! I would hate to hear the complaints about the show being cancelled on the only night people have to watch it.

unkadug

Hopefully, there won't be thunderstorms on the nights for Fantasmic! I would hate to hear the complaints about the show being cancelled on the only night people have to watch it.

I kinda hope it does storm on the first few nights. That way Guest Relations will be bombarded with complaints and perhaps Disney will see the err of their ways.

Brian Noble

this is all ENTIRELY about American Idol Experience
I'm guessing it's also about TSM. From reports I hear regarding standby times and fastpass returns, it's a huge huge hit---perhaps they're going to see if TSM can carry the park for a while.

sbkline

People keep citing a sagging economy, high gas prices, and therefore lower attendance as reason for this change. But I'm not so sure. Because, as JP mentioned, this change is also in conjunction with several new things. And if WDW was so worried about a drop in attendance and having to cut back on costs because of the economy, then wouldn't they put a halt to anything new, in addition to cutting things that are already there? It seems to me that any money they save by cutting Fantasmic merely offsets the added costs of the new stuff. So I'm not sure that the economy and gas prices are behind this change. Maybe Disney has just decided to do something a little different...they've been known to do that ya know.

Pixiedust1983

no way this should happen Fantasmic is one of the best attractions 2 visit at Hollywood Studios and is always very busy to get into. Who cares about HSM 3 and pop idol!! boo :shrug:

coasterphil

Natural gas actually isn't that expensive and quite plentiful in the U.S. However, this is definitely related to petrol prices and a dreadful economy. I imagine that the inferno barge will be cut from Illuminations if it hasn't already...big waste of ga$.

It's only going to get worse before it gets better. :( One less thing to do at night at WDW...
I have a feeling it's more that Disney doesn't want to pay the performers. Wishes and ROE don't need dozens of entertainment CM's in addition to tech staff, and their respective park's are more popular, so they get to stay.

Thelazer

I have a feeling it's more that Disney doesn't want to pay the performers. Wishes and ROE don't need dozens of entertainment CM's in addition to tech staff, and their respective park's are more popular, so they get to stay.

I think it's a little bit of everything all at once.

Don't want to pay for that size of a crew.
Don't want to hire enough people to cover all the shifts for new shows.
Not as many people booking hotel rooms.
High prices all over the place.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Interesting....we as individuals have to make tough decisions during difficult economic times. But let a business make the same tough decisions during the same tough times and they are the evil ones. One of these days you may wake up to the most magical place on earth out of business, but don't complain that Disney didnt do anything to stop it from happening if you want all attractions open all the time reguardless of the demand.

unkadug

What really concerns me is that Disney is not known for doing things temporarily.

When they do something, they generally back themselves into a corner and can't get out. For example, Camp Minnie-Mickey, Mickey's Toontown Fair.

So this budget saving temporary measure is probably going to become the standard.

I kinda sound like:
Disney-Chicken-Little.jpg

Just another reason I wont be visiting the Studios anytime soon. I will stick with the Magic Kingdom and Epcot where I feel I get my moneys worth.

There needs to be a serious overhaul in Upper Management with these poor decisions. :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom