Family's Safe Robbed At Disney Resort

swimmom

Re: Re: Family's Safe Robbed At Disney Resort

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
Why would anyone have that sort of money in a saefty deposit box at the end of their holiday ?
I thought that visitors to the USA had to declare how much money they were bringing into the country (if above a certain amount) - can the family prove how much money they had in the safe ?
Definitely sounds like an insurance scam and a chance to sue Disney.

The amount of cash you had to declare about 14 years ago when entering the US was $25,000. I don't know if that amout has changed.

phlydude

I think this is a scam but I want to play the devil's advocate.

What if someone truly did steal the traveler's checks?

If they weren't signed, they become able to be used by anyone. Also, to replace those checks, you need the serial numbers and denominations written down somewhere.

You'd be surprised at the numbers of people who buy travelers checks but don't sign them until they are ready to use them.

Raven66

Originally posted by phlydude

If they weren't signed, they become able to be used by anyone. Also, to replace those checks, you need the serial numbers and denominations written down somewhere.

Anytime I have ever gotten any Traveller's Checks they made me sign them right there. There are two lines to sign, one you are supposed to sign in front of the bank person and the other in front of the person you are buying whatever from.

phlydude

I've bought them @ AAA and they just handed them to me. They gave them to me in a little sleeve with different demominations for the amount I purchased in total and sent me out.

mwc1996

With Travlers Cheques you are "supposed" to sign them when you purchase them. However, many people don't want to take the time to sign them all and will "do it on their own." Also, many people do not keep the reciepts for the checks seperate from teh checks as they are advised to do. Without the reciept you would need to contact The company that sells the checks, American express most likely, or the bank that they were purchased from to get the numbers. If travlers cheques are used teh right way they are completely safe. If you don't keep up with them like you are supposed to then all hell breaks loose if they are lost or stolen.

FYI. I'm a Bank Manager in Houston.

Raven66

I've ever only gotten them at the bank, so I can't speak about anywhere else. I apologize if I sounded like I doubted you, I didn't. :)

iluvstitch

Why would the lady even get traveler's cheques if she wasn't going to be able to get replacements.

I work at AAA and we suggest people sign the check before they leave or asap- but we can't physically force someone to sit there and sign them.

Whoever the lady bought her traveler's cheques from should be able to give her the serial numbers sold if she didn't write it down- we have to keep records of that.

People lose traveler's cheques all the time, it's not a big deal to get them replaced, even if you can't find the serial numbers.

Trust me, people try to do a lot of fraudulent things w/traveler's cheques. -Stephanie

civileng68

Account Suspended

Originally posted by phlydude
I think this is a scam but I want to play the devil's advocate.

What if someone truly did steal the traveler's checks?

You'd be surprised at the numbers of people who buy travelers checks but don't sign them until they are ready to use them.

It is a federal law in banks that when you purchase the traver's checks that they must be signed right there with the witness being the banker. After you leave, they put the information in a book that is placed on file with all of your information and who the witness was to the signing.

If she had them and didn't sign them, that's her fault, but with that much in traveler's checks, I highly highly doubt they were not signed.

phlydude

Originally posted by Raven66
I've ever only gotten them at the bank, so I can't speak about anywhere else. I apologize if I sounded like I doubted you, I didn't. :)

No apology necessary. Didn't take any offense to it!:animwink:

SIR90210

I really hope this woman doesn't think she is going to get away with all of this BS. Even if someone did break into her safe (yea, right) what idiot takes $13,000 and a $3,000 bag to Disney World, or any other large place for that matter!? You do not need to go to New York to get a passport, it takes half as much time to fly to DC, and about 3/4ths the time to get from the airport to the embassy because they built a 26 mile highway from just inside the Beltway to Dulles! But the biggest whole is.... NO SELF-RESPECTING COMPANY IS STUPID ENOUGH TO JUST GIVE SOMEONE A SAFE KEY WITHOUT ASKING ANY QUESTIONS!!??!!??!!?!!??!!??!!?? If she gets away with this scam, I may have to commit hari-kari.

dmagickingdom

I think that this thread is starting major rumors!!!! I'm sure that the story is much clearer if we all were to hear an accurate account of the events that took place. (valid or invalid) I am not sure exactly what happened because I don't know that we received an accurate depiction of the theft in the beginning. All I am really seeing in this discussion is whether it is keypad, keys, or combination. Who cares??? There was a theft inside a room, in a safe. Authorities will take the rest and go with it, whether it be a key or combo. They will find out if there was a key made or the combo was left in the room etc....Folks, we only know a portion of the story!!!

wannabeBelle

Hey D, First of all welcome to the boards. In many cases like this we will NEVER know the entire story, so we are just speculating. This has been stated several times within the thread. No one is accusing anyone of anything. I still think something is VERY Wrong here, though. Too many points just dont add up!! now all we have to do is get Gil Grissom and the CSI Las Vegas team to come in and solve it. I know they could do it in the one hour they get for the show!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Belle

BalooChicago

Re: Safe left

Originally posted by poohbear6103
Plus those that said the safes had number codes are right. I can't remember the last time a Deluxe resort had a safe key. I wonder why they weren't at the Grand Flo with all that loot:veryconfu

As has been stated by others on this thread, WL has keyed safes, I was there last week, it was keyed.

iluvstitch

Originally posted by dmagickingdom
I think that this thread is starting major rumors!!!! I'm sure that the story is much clearer if we all were to hear an accurate account of the events that took place. (valid or invalid)... All I am really seeing in this discussion is whether it is keypad, keys, or combination. Who cares???

So what if we "start rumors" or make speculations? I could say "This is fraud" but that's my own opinion- its not like the police are going to read this and go arrest her.

Its a discussion board, so we can discuss and speculate as much as we want. -Steph

Tinkerbell1220

Do you really think you would leave that much money in a Safe she it sounds like a scam a big scam just like the scam those people tried to pull years ago at the Carib resort... Oh and if she came with that much money from India I hope she claimed it with cutsoms when she arrived in the USA you cant bring in any more then $10,000 you must claim it...... so then can find out if she really did....

LadyDarling

I didn't see any mention of the fee to get the key replaced. Usually, it's pretty steep! :hammer:

This just doesn't add up. I look forward to someone posting the resolution when it comes out!

Like it has been previously stated here, we always "travel smart". Granted, you never "expect" your things to be stolen. But we never put all our $$$ in one place. Some is in our pockets... some in the suitcases (different ones in case one gets lost with the airline), some in the safe... It's hard for me to believe someone well off enough to have $10,000 to blow on vacation wouldn't do this. I don't even have $600 when I travel and I do this stuff!

Well - in the very least, this is a good reminder to us all to not put all our eggs in one basket!

And don't the safe's say "not responsible for lost or stolen goods"?:zipit:
~Jay

phlydude

I think that this thread is starting major rumors!!!! I'm sure that the story is much clearer if we all were to hear an accurate account of the events that took place. (valid or invalid) I am not sure exactly what happened because I don't know that we received an accurate depiction of the theft in the beginning. All I am really seeing in this discussion is whether it is keypad, keys, or combination. Who cares??? There was a theft inside a room, in a safe. Authorities will take the rest and go with it, whether it be a key or combo. They will find out if there was a key made or the combo was left in the room etc....Folks, we only know a portion of the story!!!

http://www.wftv.com/news/3287714/detail.html

Here is the news link

JodiR

Maybe this has been mentioned (I didn't read all the responses) but it seems odd that the person who did this just happened to break into a safe belonging to someone with lots of money in there. What luck! When I was there I didn't have more than $100 in the safe (mostly just charged to the room). So it seems like it could be an inside job.

dmagickingdom

I am thrilled to have seen several replies to my earlier post that many rumors have started in regards to this thread. Obviously I know the officials are not going to read this and arrest her based on all of our opinions.:hammer: I agree that her story doesn't appear to add up however, Disney hasn't made an official comment on the situation either as far as I know. What I'm saying is it's way too early to know anything unless you're an investigator on this case. It could easily be an inside job by a CM. I would hope not but who thought Tigger would be a fondler?? I think some Disney hotheads may have taken this the wrong way. Thanks for the welcome to WDWMAGIC.COM from you all.

Erika

I am thrilled to have seen several replies to my earlier post that many rumors have started in regards to this thread. Obviously I know the officials are not going to read this and arrest her based on all of our opinions.:hammer: .... I think some Disney hotheads may have taken this the wrong way. Thanks for the welcome to WDWMAGIC.COM from you all.

Did I miss something? :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom