Family's Safe Robbed At Disney Resort

dmagickingdom

I just want to share a few more thoughts because I have continuously been beat up over my thoughts on this one. I am a banker and see what kind of money everyone seems to have. I have to say, (even for Americans) we get requests often to disperse over 10,000 to individuals (in cash) for vacation. In addition to that, they also do get traveler's cheques. I can say that we all (including myself) must be in the wrong business because yes, I do NOT have that kind of money but MANY of the people that I deal with do. And I know you all must be thinking...well you must work in a rich area. NO!!! There are MANY people (americans) among us that are shopping beside us at Wal-Mart that has this kind of money and does do the same thing this Indian woman did when they too go on vacation. On an average day, about 65-70% of the clients I deal with in the banking center has over one half of a million dollars. I have seen other bankers post on this thread and they would probably vouch for me on this one because there are MANY people with a lot of money that do this same thing.
FYI-
Also, the urband legend of garbage men....they do NOT make good money...they make decent money for what they do. Only about 20-23,000 per year. That's good considering all they do is pick up other people's garbage. They don't actually make "good" money unless they are a supervisor of the group. (trust me, I see their paychecks.)

dmagickingdom

Originally posted by tigsmom
And a very good one at that! :sohappy: Its hard for us to think anyone has that much disposable income when some of us are just making it from paycheck to paycheck, cutting coupons, etc.
I still think the whole story hasn't been told. I haven't been able to find any new info on the net, so I'll just take a "wait & see" attitude. :wave:

I think that it's not fair to be discriminating on these people just because they are financially better off than you tigsmom or myself for that matter. If they have that kind of money to carry w/ them, then so be it. And if it's valid, they have every right to dispute it. They have done something good to deserve the wealth they have, whether it be work or inheritance. If inheritance, they are probably doing their part and investing in their children's future too just as their parents did for them.
I live paycheck to paycheck (sort of) so I am in the same boat as most everyone on this site but I don't think of it as less of a situation just because they family has wealth.

MKBurn15

Originally posted by Pumbas Nakasak
Been away for a few days so just caught this.

Ill be at WL in August ill have £3k in cash/ travellers cheques, Ill have my Nikon D1H, assorted lenses including a f2.8 600mm, a Sony Handy cam, a lap top with all the latest Adobi Software. Ill have just bought Mrs Sak a Prada handbag with matching purse, just couldnt resist the temptation at the airport, and because of fears of break ins at home we will just happen to have brought all of the jewellry we have aquired over our lives.

As soon as ive checked in Ill post my room number incase any one wants to get in touch.

Got to go just off to top up my travel insurance.:animwink:
Remember to email me your credit card number(s) as well!:D :lol:

tigsmom

Originally posted by dmagickingdom
I think that it's not fair to be discriminating on these people just because they are financially better off than you tigsmom or myself for that matter. If they have that kind of money to carry w/ them, then so be it. And if it's valid, they have every right to dispute it. They have done something good to deserve the wealth they have, whether it be work or inheritance. If inheritance, they are probably doing their part and investing in their children's future too just as their parents did for them.
I live paycheck to paycheck (sort of) so I am in the same boat as most everyone on this site but I don't think of it as less of a situation just because they family has wealth.

I think you are misunderstanding what was said. Please go back & read the original post. I was agreeing that its hard for most of us to think in those terms because most of us don't have that kind of money just sitting around.
I don't care how much money someone has or doesn't have for that matter. I also said that I didn't think all of the facts were in and I still feel that way. Making assumptions about someone's character is a very dangerous thing to do.

dmagickingdom

Originally posted by phlydude
I

When someone gets 1/4 the amount that the annual american household makes stolen from them, we tend to look at it and say, "serves her right for having a $3000 Louis Vuitton and leaving that much money in her safe!"

We tend to look at things like "13k could pay my mortgage for an entire year and this family had it left after being on vacation!"

Just my philosophical thought for the day.

and it was stated by you...tigsmom "and a good one at that:sohappy: "

That sure sounds like judging to me. "serves her right" If it wouldv'e been an American, average earning wage person that had their 2000.00 cash stolen, you would have a different story to tell. It would be, OMG I can't believe these folks' money were stolen right out of the room. It would be the main discussion at coffee. You all wouldn't be saying, (or in your case acknowledging) that it serves the person right.
:king:

dmagickingdom

Making assumptions about someone's character is a very dangerous thing to do.

I agree with you there though, however, in most cases, it's not dangerous, it's immoral.

You making a threat towards me???:rolleyes: LOL

tigsmom

If you are going to argue a point please quote the entire conversation. By leaving out his first paragraph you have changed the entire meaning of both his & my posts. You also left out the part about people reacting out of jealousy, not sympathy...again changing the meaning of the posts.

It is quite obvious that you do not know me at all as I am usually the Devil's advocate. If you are looking for an argument you will have to look elsewhere as doing so is not my style.

There is nothing immoral about making assumptions about one's character, but it is dangerous because it is very often the wrong conclusion. And I never make threats, ever. :wave:

dmagickingdom

If you are going to argue a point please quote the entire conversation. By leaving out his first paragraph you have changed the entire meaning of both his & my posts. You also left out the part about people reacting out of jealousy, not sympathy...again changing the meaning of the posts.

It is quite obvious that you do not know me at all as I am usually the Devil's advocate. If you are looking for an argument you will have to look elsewhere as doing so is not my style.

There is nothing immoral about making assumptions about one's character, but it is dangerous because it is very often the wrong conclusion. And I never make threats, ever. :wave:

Did anyone hear me say anything about wanting to start an arguement???no??? Well, tigsmom did!LOL :lol: You're right, I do not know you and I'm not sure I would want to.
And...it is QUITE immoral about making assumptions as some people in this thread did...just because she is Indian. As I said earlier, if it were a white american, the story would've been VERY different. The tone in which the writing was written suggests so. And FYI...Danger is defined as: Exposure or vulnerability to harm or risk; according to Wester's Dictionary. It is only dangerous if I am putting myself at risk or harm and unless you were making a direct threat at me, your judgement is simply immoral and not dangerous. Okay, I think I just quoted your whole last statement so you should be happy...and educated.
Guess I am the new Devil's Advocate now!!!!!
:fork:

Erika

Originally posted by dmagickingdom
Did anyone hear me say anything about wanting to start an arguement???no??? Well, tigsmom did!LOL :lol: You're right, I do not know you and I'm not sure I would want to.

Wait one second- first you get offended because some people defended their posts against what you said- and now you're attacking Tigsmom? First I thought you were over-sensitive; now I think you're looking for trouble. :mad:

sarajo

Maybe we should all step back, take a deep breath, and think about something positive... like... *sigh*... biting an ear off a Mickey Mouse ice cream!!!:) :) :)

(I know, that was totally off the topic, but the mood really needs to be lightened in here :) )

Erika

Originally posted by sarajo
Maybe we should all step back, take a deep breath, and think about something positive... like... *sigh*... biting an ear off a Mickey Mouse ice cream!!!:) :) :)

(I know, that was totally off the topic, but the mood really needs to be lightened in here :) )

You are right.. and.. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! Ice cream! :slurp:

STGRhost

Tigsmom, I get what you were trying to say.

Oh, and FYI... Harm is defined as "Physical or psychological injury or damage. / Wrong; evil. "
So while making assumptions may not be physically harmful, it could still hurt people in a psychological sense.

Now, let's stop feeding the trolls, shall we? (Even the ones that make good points now and then)
:rolleyes:

ETA: Oh! I love ice cream!:sohappy:

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Yes, now come on people. Way too much tension going on. When a thread gets this tense, there's only one person to call..

Attachments

• peter_stand_large[1].jpg
    peter_stand_large[1].jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 153

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Okay, are we all going to keep our cools? Or do Erika and I have to continue until you cry UNCLE?

Attachments

• fp_guava2004_4_500h[1].jpg
    fp_guava2004_4_500h[1].jpg
    22 KB · Views: 155

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Alright, I'm not posting this to brag. I'm pretty well off. I can (and have three times now) go in somewhere and plop down 30-40,000 for a car CASH (cashiers check but who really would carry 40k cash). I have no problem with money.

That being said, I would never leave $13,000 sitting in a safe. Granted, she needed to carry cash since she was from out of the country, but why save the travelers checks if it was the last day of the vacation? I think something is strange with this as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom