Family's Safe Robbed At Disney Resort

TURKEY

Originally posted by Estop54
Maybe Disney's different, but hotels seem to be the most unsecure places around. I was on tour with a Cirque du Soleil show for almost 2 years and stayed in lots of hotels and lost lots of keys. Only a small handfull of times was I asked for an ID to get another key. I've also had safes malfunction in the rooms and they come on up, open it, and just make small talk. No question on who I was. :lookaroun

Most CM's will ask for a photo ID (passport or DL). If not, verify all names on the reservation as well as CI/CO dates, party mix, entire phone number, and address.

When someone has that much information, a new key will usually be cut for them.

crazygirley

Sounds fishy to me and has fraud written all over it. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to complain about not being able to get home when they have $10,000 in "if stolen they are easy to replace" travellers checks. Fishy...fishy...fishy...:zipit:

Foolish Mortal

This reeks of somebody trying to make a buck of Disney so bad. Like TLB said, when my mom locked both of our room keys in the room, the front desk asked her about 5 questions before they would issue a replacement.

dmagickingdom

Is this a SW florida post/????? I see Steven is from Fort Myers (that's where I'm from) 'cape coral actually'. and also, I see that civileng68 is from SW Florida!!!! that is pretty cool....Anyway, I am a banker and those Travelers Cheques are replaceable and upon calling, they would be overnighted to the most convenient place for the client. (That's why you buy them as opposed to carrying cash) In regards to the cash they lost,

:mad: they can only cry over the spilt milk (unless Disney wishes to replace what they claim was in there)

dmagickingdom

Ps- why is there so much debate over the safe type??? It doesn't matter if it's combination or key or keypad...they got in there and the articles were taken... I do not believe that Disney would make a key for the safe. Believe it or not, statistics show that on combination safes, most people hide the combination on the back of the safe or in the same room. On key safes, the key is usually hidden in the room in a place such as under the mattress, etc....

Also, a good article on how combination safes work at
www.howstuffworks.com

J

joviacdan

I won't go far enough to say it's fraud since there's no proof of that.

One thing there is proof of though is that Disney made another key. That's total BS.

I always leave my cash in my safe. That's the whole point - It's a safe.

If this ever happened to me, I'd be one ticked off vacationer.

Raven66

Originally posted by StevenT
Not upon check in. It happened to her on her last day at the resort. Other than that I agree with everything you said.

I think the article said that she was screened and it took along time for her to get checked in.

Thessair

I usually get the third degree when I check in, regardless of the resort. Multiple ID’s and various information confirmations usually precede me getting my room key. Of course, I could just be shifty looking…

TwoTigersMom

my question is why did she have to go to New York to get a new passport? Wouldn't they do that at an Embassy? Or is that in New York?

civileng68

Account Suspended
that's odd

Originally posted by HagansMommie
my question is why did she have to go to New York to get a new passport? Wouldn't they do that at an Embassy? Or is that in New York?

That's odd, i thought it was in Washington, D.C.

None of this story matches up.

Shaman

Interesting story....

A couple of issues:

-Since it seems that they noticed their money was missing at the end of their stay...is it possible for the checks to have been stolen, and used before these people realized the checks were missing?? It would be harder to replace the checks if there is a dispute and possible fraudulent activity with the money, and the money would not be returned/replaced until an investigation...no?

-Disney has not directly been quoted as saying they made a second key, or even answered a call to the room. However, Disney has not been directly quoted as saying otherwise either.

-Too many details are missing from the story as is, and so its difficult to judge the validity of the so-called victim's claims (right now this seems like a scheme).

I withold judgement until more is known...I think its the only fair way to judge the story....just my opinion....

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by cherrynegra
Kaajal Anand says the plan was to end their trip to Disney World with a visit to one of the theme parks, but she says that plan drastically changed when she walked over to the safe in her suite to grab some cash.
Why would anyone have that sort of money in a saefty deposit box at the end of their holiday ?
I thought that visitors to the USA had to declare how much money they were bringing into the country (if above a certain amount) - can the family prove how much money they had in the safe ?
Definitely sounds like an insurance scam and a chance to sue Disney.

TheDisneyGirl02

Re: Re: Family's Safe Robbed At Disney Resort

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
Why would anyone have that sort of money in a saefty deposit box at the end of their holiday ?
I thought that visitors to the USA had to declare how much money they were bringing into the country (if above a certain amount) - can the family prove how much money they had in the safe ?
Definitely sounds like an insurance scam and a chance to sue Disney.

Never thought of that! I remember I had to do something like that when I went to Australia! Looks like it might be a scam to me!

TheDisneyGirl02

poohbear6103

Safe left

Just a thought. Maybe the person who stole the items came in while the maid was cleaning the room and the door was open. They could have walked in and pretended it was their room (how would a maid keep track of who is where and would they ever check?) and used the phone once the maid left. I know this is pretty out there, but the thought did cross my mind.

Plus those that said the safes had number codes are right. I can't remember the last time a Deluxe resort had a safe key. I wonder why they weren't at the Grand Flo with all that loot:veryconfu

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Originally posted by HagansMommie

The Indian embassy at large is located in New York, with consulates in Chicago, Houston, and San Francisco. So it's the closest one to her if she flew into New York connecting to Orlando.

beattyfamily

Re: Safe left

Originally posted by poohbear6103
Plus those that said the safes had number codes are right. I can't remember the last time a Deluxe resort had a safe key. I wonder why they weren't at the Grand Flo with all that loot:veryconfu

Well, I guess it just depends on the resorts. When we stayed at the BWV this past December I had a key safe and not a number code safe.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Re: Re: that's odd

Originally posted by TAC
There are Indian embassies in New York, Washington, DC, Chicago, Houston, and San Francisco. Indian embassies.

Did she get on an airplane to go to New York? Without a passport ??

Um, I could be wrong, but she wouldn't need a passport to travel between Orlando and New York because it's domestic travel. However, you need an ID to get on the plane. Wonder if they took that as well.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Re: Re: Re: Re: that's odd

Originally posted by TAC
Domestic for US, not necessarily for her, since she is from India. You do need a PHOTO id to travel now, so IF she ONLY brought her passport, and it was "stolen," what other photo id could she have used to get on the plane to go to NY to get a duplicate passport ?

Mmmm....I thought that passports were used only for coming in and out of the country, and travel within you didn't need it. But you are right. If she was using her passport as her main form of ID, unless her travel visa had some form of picture on it and that didn't get stolen....wow....this story seems to have more questions than answers.:lol:

civileng68

Account Suspended
On a side note:

On a side note: I think my car was stolen a Disney World resort. It was a red Ferarri valued at $400,000. It was registered as a Ford Pinto, but that was a mistake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom