Family's Safe Robbed At Disney Resort

Raven66

How could anyone possibly know that she had that much money in her safe? Unless she went around telling people. Maybe it was a family member that wasn't as well off. :confused:

dmagickingdom

Hi Erika, some people were giving me a hard time because i simply said that I don't think any of us know the full and true story. Some folks here were just hating on me because I am new to this site and have just a few posts. In reality though, I am at WDW at least once per mohth so I experience it more than most people on here with the exception of cast members and some of my local Florida peers. Hello to all SW Florida folks.

mwc1996

federal law???

There is no federal law that says that the Travlers cheques have to be signed at the bank. You are supposed to sign them once at the bank but there is not a law. You are supposed to fill out reciept of the travlers cheques but it is not a law. If you do not sign them or do not fill out the reciept then you may be liable for any cheques that were stolen and redeemed as a result if your not doing what the bank reccommends. There is no law that says it must be done this way. If there was I would have the Wife of the CEO at my bank sent to federal prison for a long time because she never signs the checks or fills out the reciept and it has never been an issue when we have been audited.

STGRhost

I am also surprised at the number of people jumping to conclusions here (The Mouseketeers would be ashamed! :lol: )

Something to consider: While most of US ("regular" guests) do not travel with large sums of money, we have had guests, mostly from overseas, who DO have (and bring) a lot of money. Especially some of our Indian guests. It's not uncommon for Tour Guides to be offered a $100 bill (or three) as a tip at the end of a tour(of course, they never TAKE the tips!:rolleyes: ) . So the ammount of money she claims to have had doesn't surprise me.

Also, if I had someone break into MY hotel room, and then into the safe I had my valuables in (because I didn't want to risk losing them at the parks!), and then I believed that the hotel was possibly at fault, I would be LIVID, and I would want people to know. Even if the stolen items were replaceable (the Travelers cheques) or I had plenty of money to get a new one (the LV bag, we're assuming). I would still be ed that my privacy and my security were compromised like that. It would sort of be a matter of principle - The issue is not the value of the stuff that was stolen, but the fact that it was STOLEN.

Yes, I realize that some of the story sounds odd, but I know I've had guests who were NOT lying (and had no reason to) and still got their stories mixed up.

Just some more food for thought....

MCO Dreamin

A few years ago we lost our safe key somewhere in Epcot or on a bus, we had no idea where or when so there was no point in looking, anyway we went back to our resort and reported it, after asking to see our ID's a locksmith was sent to drill out the cylinder along with a CM, when he got it open they had us stand where we couldn't see in the safe and asked us to describe the contents which if this is the standard practice still makes me wonder how a person would know the contents of someone elses safe. By the way we were told the charge of drilling out the cylinder was to be added to our bill at checkout but when we left we were told there would be no charge. :)

dmagickingdom

Thanks STGRhost for speaking up...Finally someone voices the same opinion as I do. I am not saying anything for or against this Indian family but there have been some ridiculous discussion in here about what happened...

:animwink:

quadman

Just some idle thoughts in this..... (Writing from a room at port Orleans - French Quarter, with a KEYED safe....)

Credit card.....?? I have no idea what percentage of the non-traveling public in India utilizes credit cards..... I’m not sure that we can assume she should have CCs

Its $30.00 to replace a lost key..... Or so the key chain that is on the safe key says.... (I’m looking at it now)

I’m not entirely sure how easy it would be to replace traveler’s checks without any id (it was all stolen right??)?? Might take at least a few days......and until then WHAT do you do....especially if you have zero cash and credit available to you....(as I would expect to have if I traveled to India)

I just asked my wife what her handbag was worth (im sure I’m getting a slimmed down version, but she says $100.00..... Right now there is $900.00 cash in my safe...... 9x the amount of the handbag..... This lady claims only 3 x her handbag cost lost in travelers checks....from a proportional point of view it works out pretty cheap...

India has very little middle class..... So you’re poor and don’t travel, or wealthy and do...... If she was here in the US and staying at the WL then she fits into the 2nd group most likely, where cash may mean little.....

Being a Canadian and often traveling to the US... I am always aware that I have to declare CASH at the border.... This I think is done to prevent money laundering (SP??).... I am fairly certain that traveler’s checks would not be included in this consideration since travelers checks by their own nature are traceable and therefore would not be a good vehicle for money laundering....

Having traveled with large business groups in the past (conventions and things) and doing the 'prank' stuff that sales guys will do to one another.... I can attest how easy it is to get into a room other than your own (at least for the purposes of short sheeting or cellophane the toilet....:>) a few comfortable minutes of small talk and a couple right answers gets you there.......

She states that this was the end of her WDW vacation....who knows where she was going next?.....were going from here to Vero Beach for a week.....still dragging a reasonable amount of cash around even though WDW ends tomorrow.......

And ..... Just consider for a moment.....traveling to India....(how much cash/credit would you like to bring??) and what would you do if you lost your cash, cc's, ID's and your ability to go home and there was no one back in the US to assist you (we don’t know who remained in India to assist her.....).

So..... a final thought........ If she was here...she was reasonably wealthy... (just as a result of a CAST society in India) the cash may not mean as much as the ids do...... if this was the end of her WDW vacation...her speding habits over the last few days would provide an indication of her ability...meaning her habits would produce a spending 'signature' from which you could assume she had $130.00 available or $10,000 available.....

And you would have to be pretty gutsy to come to a foreign country (especially one like the US, with the additional travel security concerns in recent years) and perpetrate (sp??) a crime like this.....

I think she must have gotten 'hit'.......by who I don’t know....maybe less affluent family traveling with her......maybe by staff who sensed her cash supply as she came down to the desk every two days to add additional cash to her account to allow for the continuation of charging privileges......... (Today I had to authorize an additional $1000.00 on our cards because we had reached our limit........).

And lastly........$3000.00 bag comments......why would you bring that with you.....you ask..... What a ridiculous question..... your means are your means.....right now in my room I've got a $3000.00 Laptop, a $1700.00 video camera, a $700,00 digital camera, and about $1500.00 in cash (ALL INSURED, cept the cash).....and its the end of our vacation.......my room could be hit for a grand total of $6,900.00..........or so..... am I nutts?....Personally I think I'd be more crazy to not have the cash backup....not have the laptop (I could not work, or earn cash for next trip....), and if I’m gonna spend this much on a vacation...I want damn good video and pics..... so am I crazy?...maybe to you.....but do I deserve to get ripped off?.... I think not.

Anyway... Just my 5 cents I guess (yeah I know...It's a wee bit wordier than the 2 cent version....sorry)

Quadman.....
Ciao for now....

BTW - Aint no lines this week....life is GRAND!!!

dmagickingdom

OMG...that was quite a book i read above....but it's all true. Just because some of us feel that 10k in cash is a great deal and ridiculous to carry, doesn't mean that there wasn't very good reason for the Indian family to carry it. Working at a bank, we just had a woman come in to order 47,000 in cash to take out of the bank. I felt it was WAY overboard but who am I to judge?? If she has it, she is free to do whatever she wants with it. And, she is free to buy a 3000.00 bag and carry it with her if she chooses and shouldn't be judged based on the price of her bag.

phlydude

I think part of the problem here is that alot of us cannot even begin to comprehend how someone could have $13k in liquid assests to spend for vacation. I know I have never seen $10k in person and I'm sure that goes for alot of the others here (even when I bought my house I didn't need $10k for settlement!)

When someone gets 1/4 the amount that the annual american household makes stolen from them, we tend to look at it and say, "serves her right for having a $3000 Louis Vuitton and leaving that much money in her safe!" While it all still sounds fishy to me and others, we tend to speak from jealousy instead of sympathy.

We tend to look at things like "13k could pay my mortgage for an entire year and this family had it left after being on vacation!"

Just my philosophical thought for the day.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Been away for a few days so just caught this.

Ill be at WL in August ill have £3k in cash/ travellers cheques, Ill have my Nikon D1H, assorted lenses including a f2.8 600mm, a Sony Handy cam, a lap top with all the latest Adobi Software. Ill have just bought Mrs Sak a Prada handbag with matching purse, just couldnt resist the temptation at the airport, and because of fears of break ins at home we will just happen to have brought all of the jewellry we have aquired over our lives.

As soon as ive checked in Ill post my room number incase any one wants to get in touch.

Got to go just off to top up my travel insurance.:animwink:

tigsmom

Originally posted by Pumbas Nakasak
...and because of fears of break ins at home we will just happen to have brought all of the jewellry we have aquired over our lives.

Don't you have safe deposit boxes at the bank?
(or are you just pulling our leg...)

LadyDarling

All the posts about being more empathetic are right on. How sad would it be if someone in her own family/traveling group ripped her off?

And you're right, no matter how "smart" or travel savvy someone is, they never "deserve" to get ripped off. However, it's a great reminder to all of us (and especially her, the hard way) to learn to travel smarter. We all think "something like this couldn't happen in Disneyworld" - but it does happen, sadly, from time to time.

And, from time to time, people take advantage of the system as well and want some of that Disney Dough for themselves.

I'm sure the embassy and the police will have it taken care of.

Dizneydude87

A few years ago, we were in Tennesse. My dad gave me like 5 or 6 travelers checks (they were only worth like $20 and $50 a piece) and I forgot to have him endorse them. I just forged his signature (he knows... it's okay... no thief here) and spent them. No I.D or anything. The funny thing is, they were good for cash. Like, I bought something that was maybe worth like $10 and got the rest back in cash. Just a thought. :)

Raven66

Originally posted by Dizneydude87
A few years ago, we were in Tennesse. My dad gave me like 5 or 6 travelers checks (they were only worth like $20 and $50 a piece) and I forgot to have him endorse them. I just forged his signature (he knows... it's okay... no thief here) and spent them. No I.D or anything. The funny thing is, they were good for cash. Like, I bought something that was maybe worth like $10 and got the rest back in cash. Just a thought. :)

Well, I've worked in retail for most of my adult life, and what's supposed to happen is the signatures are to match. If they come up to the counter and sign both lines while standing there, we are not allowed to accept them. And if the signatures do not match we can not accept them. And of course ID is supposed to be asked for. Now some retail people are either to lazy or to busy to check. Now, see if you had come before me and signed it with your dad's name but your ID is different and the signature would have been different, I wouldn't have taken it. NO OFFENSE!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom