Family's Safe Robbed At Disney Resort

civileng68

Account Suspended
hi

Originally posted by The Mom
So it would be OK for someone to steal my things? :(

Seriously, would you feel sorry if she owned a $300 bag, or only if it were a $30 bag?

Hi Mom,

I see your point, but I think she was meaning that not to say that she doesn't care that it got stolen but just making a light-hearted statement that if they have the money to buy a $3,000 bag then they probably don't have to worry about money.

I know it sounds bad but it's really no different than me saying to a ball player who makes 2M dollars wrecking his car "oh well it's a drop in the bucket to him".

I know what you mean though, but it was lighthearted I'm sure.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
People, just because she had an expensive bag and tons of money on her does not excuse her being robbed as much as if she were poor. Stealing is stealing. No matter who it's done to. Yes, there are some sketchy things in her story, but let's wait until we get the whole story. Hopefully this will be reported on further.

civileng68

Account Suspended

Originally posted by cherrynegra
People, just because she had an expensive bag and tons of money on her does not excuse her being robbed as much as if she were poor. Stealing is stealing. No matter who it's done to. Yes, there are some sketchy things in her story, but let's wait until we get the whole story. Hopefully this will be reported on further.

I agree that what's stolen with one is the same to another. Stolen is stolen.

I do feel sorry for her if it was stolen, I even feel sorry for her if she overspent and needed money, as I also feel sorry for gambling addicts, and alcoholics, but, I hope she's being honest in all of this. I still stick with the travelers check issue. Why does she have no money when she had that much in traveler's checks. Yet it seems so obvious that you have to think there's got to be more to this that probably works in her favor.

My main concern is that Disney did not do anything openly wrong. If the employee was pretty much convinced the person they were opening it for was who it was supposed to be (family of the person that was in the room) then I understand but, if he just opened it for whomever, that's WAY bad.

But then again, how'd someone just end up in the room to call security to open the lock? I mean, that just doens't sound right.

csm7030

Maybe I missed this somewhere in a previous post, but where did this story even come from? A search of the web and the Orlando Sentinel failed to yield any information to substantiate this story. I concur with the speculation about the traveler's checks being a tip that this may be a fake story.

Scooter

Re: .

Originally posted by civileng68

But then again, how'd someone just end up in the room to call security to open the lock? I mean, that just doens't sound right.

This sounds like an inside job to me.

My wife and I have been known to put $3000 into those room safes and we are from the USA.

Why couldn't someone on an extended vacation from another country lock $13000 in there?

As far as someone getting into the room to call security, a Housekeeper could let anyone in there at any time.

While I will admit, I too, think the amount stolen seems a bit extreme, it is possible that this crime could have been perpetrated by someone working at the Resort ie Housekeeper/Desk clerk etc.

I hope we get a follow-up on this story, I'm curious to see how it ends.

beattyfamily

News story

All these things that sound fishy to you I'm sure will be resolved soon by the police. All this stuff can be proven...like the traveller's checks or the 2nd key being made by an engineer.

We may never know how the thief got into the room but it's pretty easy to get into a room at WDW. When the maid is cleaning, for example. When they leave the door open with that metal bar and walk away to get something.

I just read on a different thread of a few people reporting that housekeeping left their door open with that metal bar and were done for the day! I'd be furious. I'd not even enter the room, but I'd go down and make an employee enter with me.

I can't wait to hear more facts. I sure hope they do an update story.

BRER STITCH

Originally posted by Glasgow
I must say that after reading this thread I'm a little disappointed that almost everyone has already convicted this person based on info that came out in a preliminary article.

It's terrible if they are indeed lying, but it would be even worse if this is proven to be a true story. I can't imagine going half way around the world (no pun intended) and having all of my money stolen.

I do agree that there are some sketchy details here .. but the media always tries to make the most of every story as well ..

No need to be disappointed and accuse the rest of us.

We all came to the same conclusion you did: "Could be lying...sketchy details...media hype".

Based on what we know, those are the conclusions we can draw. When we know more, we will apply that knowledge and judge again!

:)

Pippa

Mmmmmmmmmm something definatley doesn't add up here and why did she have to "announce" she had a LV bag?? Should I announce I have a small green flight bag that I inherited from my Grandmother ?? If, of course, this story is accurate. Can't wait to hear what happens.....

beattyfamily

Originally posted by Pippa
why did she have to "announce" she had a LV bag?? Should I announce I have a small green flight bag that I inherited from my Grandmother ??..

If you were robbed, wouldn't you tell the police everything that was missing? I'd tell them if the thiefs used my $3000 LV bag, if I was lucky enough to actually have one. Doesn't seem strange to me.

StevenT

That would be something you tell the police for sure, but not something I'd really think of telling the media. Seemed kind of stuck up to me. Ohh they took all of my money and my $3,000 bag!

Sloan

$3000 LV bag / "blaming victim"

quick points

1 - if someone wants to spend $3000 on a bag, or $30,000 for that matter, they do not then somehow 'deserve' to have it stolen, nor is Disney the "wrong" place to take something like that

2 - assuming for the moment that the story is legitimate, the whole point of a safe is that's where the valuables go - why would $13,000 somehow be too much for a family to have with them?

Skeptical is fine - even healthy - but it seems as though a few have really jumped to a conclusion here ... why not just wait for the 'facts' to come out?

sarajo

After reading the article, there were some questions brought to mind.

1. Do all foreigners get screened when they check into the resorts, as this lady said happened to her upon check-in? Since I am a US citizen, I haven't encountered this, so if some of you guys from overseas can answer this one, I would appreciate it.

2. In cases when our safe has malfunctioned, we have had to provide them with our id upon someone coming to the room. Did they not do this at the WL?

3. Are the safes not keypad controlled? At the GF concierge, the safes are keypad, not keyed. I've only encountered the keyed safes at the All-Stars (haven't been to any of the moderates in many years)

4. I agree with all your comments about the travelers checks. The reason people buy them is so they have recourse if they are STOLEN!

There are some things that just don't add up, in my opinion; but, I hate that someone has had their vacation ruined by some improper actions- be it criminal or not. Just another thing for the media to announce that is "wrong" with Disney- like last week's release about M:S sending 6 people to the hospital. Give me a break!!! It is "sweeps" time on the networks... could this be another ratings grabbing news story?

I hope we will remember that our judicial system provides for all people to be considered innocent until proven guilty. So let's not accuse her of something until all the facts are in... if that ever happens. Let's just hope she can get everything taken care of and she can get back home. What a terrible thing to think that you could be stuck in a foreign country and not be able to get back home. That's not a really pleasant thought and could be very scary. I wouldn't wish that upon anybody.

StevenT

Not upon check in. It happened to her on her last day at the resort. Other than that I agree with everything you said.

inorski

Originally posted by StevenT
I think the point was made earlier that $13,000 is a very large sum of money to have by the END of your vacation.

It is all relative. Maybe to them $13000 isn't a large sum of money. Maybe they were going somewhere else after Disney World. Coming all the way from India with kids takes quite a chunk of change, I'm sure, so I wouldn't necessarily say that is too much $$ to have left over.

However, belly aching over the travelers checks is crap. She could get them replaced without too much trouble. The $3000 and the bag are gone for good, but not the $10000 in trvl chks. And she said she doesn't have a credit card? That is something I find very difficult to believe. To be that wealthy and traveling half way around the world and not have a credit card in this day and age? I doubt it. And keep in mind that she is the one who said Disney made a second key for them, Disney just said they are investigating. They check wristbands at the pools for pete's sake, I can't believe they wouldn't check ID when duplicating a safe key. If they did, they should have to reimburse her for what was stolen and compensate her for the trouble getting new id, plane tickets, etc. But I think eventually we will all find out that is not necessary and that Disney didn't do anything wrong. We'll see.

inorski

Originally posted by StevenT
Not upon check in. It happened to her on her last day at the resort. Other than that I agree with everything you said.

In the article she said "It was such a procedure for me to get checked into my room. How come it was so easy for somebody to get a key to the safe without ID?" she wonders.

TURKEY

Originally posted by swimmom
I'm wondering if the travelers checks ever existed?!?!? Since they are replaceable, there shouldn't be any problem with them. Is she trying to get a free vacation, since she has no way of paying at check-out?!?!

Any payment for the room is taken upfront at check-in, not at check out.

The credit limit ($500 for value, $1000 for moderates, and either 1500 or 2000 for deluxe). If you reach the amount, you shouldn't be allowed to continue charging without payment (and if you delay payment long enough, you can be considered a Do Not Honor).

StevenT

Originally posted by cherrynegra
Kaajal Anand says the plan was to end their trip to Disney World with a visit to one of the theme parks, but she says that plan drastically changed when she walked over to the safe in her suite to grab some cash.

The thing about check in was just her own complaining

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom