Expedition Everest effects status watch

fractal

He did not. The only two effects working when I rode on 9/27/2009 were the front waterfall and the projection. Even the freaking camera that takes your picture at the drop was not working.

IMHO E:E is an embarrassment. There are so many effects not working on that attraction that it is easier to list what is working vs. what is not and there is no excuse for an attraction that young to be in such bad shape. Right now it might as well be an un-themed coaster at Wild Adventurers. Disney needs to simply bite the bullet and shut the thing down for the month of January 2010 and fix the numerous things wrong with this attraction.

Thanks for that post. I agree 100%. I rode Everest in 2007 and it was awesome. I'm a bit of a theme park/ride geek so I am not easily impressed. I remember walking thru the queue and ringing the bells and reading the expedition stories and immersing myself in the whole themeing of it - I was sure the ride itself was going to dissapoint. Insteady it blew me away - from the broken track (even the bird on the stick) to the final increadible yeti coming at you at the end. The "final act" of that ride with the Yeti in full mode is head and shoulders above anything else I ever rode! My kids and I rode it over 10times on that trip. One of my fondest memories of Disney was going to AK in 2007 during EMH at night and riding EE 5 or 6 times in a row ( it was walk on ). My kids agree and still talk about that night.

This year when we went in May I prepped them that the Yeti was not in full mode so we were all prepared. We were just really dissapointed with the ride - it was like somebody took away your favorite toy with no hope of getting it back. We rode it only once and my kids were bummed.

I guess it's still on ok ride - but my God, it was awesome!

I do hope they fix it. I'm not planning to go back to Disney till maybe 2011 or 2012 but if they fix EE I'll be back next year for sure.

fractal

This one is not bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRhrg5rx2-8&feature=fvst

This one is much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaCKexzMSXc&feature=related

You might get lucky and see him in the modified A-mode.

Thanks for the videos! Sorry if I sound redundant but I just loved EE ( before it broke ). That first video really puts you in the seat of that ride. For anybody that wants to know what EE was in it's full glory and the difference between getting a glimpse of the yeti through a strobe light vs. this freakin' huge monster with glaring eyes and dagger teeth coming right at you in full sight at 50mph - watch this video!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So sad... it took 3 trips to see modified A mode and I was happy with that. We all should be seeing full A mode. DAK and TDO should be ashamed.

To clarify, I saw the Yeti lit with fast strobes, eyes red, his torso fixed but his right arm moving quite fast back and forth above the ride track. Nothing like B mode, but nothing like A mode. Apparently.

SirGoofy

So sad... it took 3 trips to see modified A mode and I was happy with that. We all should be seeing full A mode. DAK and TDO should be ashamed.

To clarify, I saw the Yeti lit with fast strobes, eyes red, his torso fixed but his right arm moving quite fast back and forth above the ride track. Nothing like B mode, but nothing like A mode. Apparently.

Yea, as much as an improvement as that sounds to B, it still can't hold a candle to A.

chase!

I've been trying to get over my fear of rollercoasters, so I finally rode E:E last Saturday (Oct 3rd). I've read previously about Yeti A/B mode but didn't really remember the specifics. What I do know is that through the last dark part where in the videos I've seen show the Yeti, I didn't see anything. There was some strobing spotlight but I didn't see a Yeti or even an outline of one. Could this be correct? It was actually a little negatively intense because it felt like something was missing and I'm already scared of coasters. Even my girlfriend who has rode it a few times felt like it was missing something and made her nervous.

It's always a shame to read threads like this. Though, even with these things not working correctly, the theme is very good. Compared to Universal's Mummy, I really like how the tracks usually have things around them and give you the impression the tracks are on a mountain and not floating ten's of stories in the air that they probably are.

While I do hope they get these things fixed, I hope the turn-around time isn't terrible. I always feel bad for tourists coming to visit and maybe missing a famous ride they want to go on. I haven't really seen Disney go out of their way to make sure you know this or that is closed previous to your trip. (Unless you come to sites like these)

fractal

I've been trying to get over my fear of rollercoasters, so I finally rode E:E last Saturday (Oct 3rd). I've read previously about Yeti A/B mode but didn't really remember the specifics. What I do know is that through the last dark part where in the videos I've seen show the Yeti, I didn't see anything. There was some strobing spotlight but I didn't see a Yeti or even an outline of one. Could this be correct? It was actually a little negatively intense because it felt like something was missing and I'm already scared of coasters. Even my girlfriend who has rode it a few times felt like it was missing something and made her nervous.

It's always a shame to read threads like this. Though, even with these things not working correctly, the theme is very good. Compared to Universal's Mummy, I really like how the tracks usually have things around them and give you the impression the tracks are on a mountain and not floating ten's of stories in the air that they probably are.

While I do hope they get these things fixed, I hope the turn-around time isn't terrible. I always feel bad for tourists coming to visit and maybe missing a famous ride they want to go on. I haven't really seen Disney go out of their way to make sure you know this or that is closed previous to your trip. (Unless you come to sites like these)

When I rode EE in May I caught a glimpse of Yeti thru the strobe light. I can see if you are not looking for him or if you blink you might miss him.

JediMasterMatt

I just added the info below to the PoD thread and thought it was appropriate here as well:

I completely forgot about the picture below until I was digging around my photos. I always abstain from using flash onrides; however, I was curious to see if any work was being done on the Yeti during my February trip. I don't think the flash did much different than the normal strobes that in place of the full A mode. I believe this picture conclusively shows the broken back of our hairy friend. Notice the darker fur covering his back and more importantly, what appears to be a support wire attached from there to the ceiling. It's a bit more obvious when viewed at full resolution. Looking at older photos of mine, I don't see this support cable. I would assume the cable was installed to help the back problem and allow some movement to return to the arm.

Here's hoping that they able to get him back up and moving in full A mode soon...

Click to embiggen!

Atomicmickey

THANKS for the Awesome Picture! That does indeed look as though they have implemented a temp fix.

I'm back from my trip, and stopped in to say that I rode 5 times, and my kids rode 10! Every time, he was in Modified A mode.

I will give a "little b" bravo for this fix, because Modified A mode is miles better than stinky old B mode, that we saw last time. Everyone got off the ride this time and exclaimed "Wow! You could really see the Yeti, and his arm was clawing at us!"

So . . yes, I know that "A" mode is waaaaaay better, or so I have been told, but I'm here to tell ya that modified A is pretty satisfying as well.

In other news, it took me a couple of rides to realize where "the second waterfall" was. I can see why they don't run it, and I wonder why they thought it needed to be there in the first place. That's not an apology for them, it's just mostly unobtrusive.

The steam effect at load wasn't working at all, though if you look, of course, you can see the mechanism. Curiously, from the "near side" of the track, intermittently, there was just the smallest amount of steam that came up. Looking at where the CM's stand, it makes me wonder if the effect threw up hot water drops. I've worked with steam effects before on films, and gurgling water pipes can throw up some nasty hot water. Just a theory.

And, of course, no bird on a stick, and no steam/fog at the top. I do wish the "inner mountain" and "top mist" were working. I do think those would really add to the atmosphere.

And finally, got to ride it at night, during EMH, and that was a real blast, very fun. Once, when it was raining and we got pelted by the raindrops at high speed!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Great bit of detective work :wave:

The Yeti situation is a mess. The steam and fog is inexcusable. Steam or dry ice arn`t the only ways to create a mist.

fractal

Matt,

Thanks for the great pic and decective work.

AtomicM,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad something is moving. Question - Is the stobe light on during modified A?

Atomicmickey

Yes, he's strobe lit, mostly. Seemed like a little ancillary lighting as well.

But B mode strobe was like, two quick flashes, and this Modified A was more like a Disco continuous strobe effect. You could definitely see the whole Yeti quite well as you passed by.

fractal

great, thanks!

I'm trying to see if I can squeeze out a family trip for 2010. Got to redo the basement first though.

Skipper Dan

I just added the info below to the PoD thread and thought it was appropriate here as well:

I completely forgot about the picture below until I was digging around my photos. I always abstain from using flash onrides; however, I was curious to see if any work was being done on the Yeti during my February trip. I don't think the flash did much different than the normal strobes that in place of the full A mode. I believe this picture conclusively shows the broken back of our hairy friend. Notice the darker fur covering his back and more importantly, what appears to be a support wire attached from there to the ceiling. It's a bit more obvious when viewed at full resolution. Looking at older photos of mine, I don't see this support cable. I would assume the cable was installed to help the back problem and allow some movement to return to the arm.

Here's hoping that they able to get him back up and moving in full A mode soon...

Click to embiggen!

The cable has always been there; every since 2006. It was always distracting to me, it stuck out like a sore thumb. I thought it was obvious, but maybe that's because I'm always wide eyed on the rides, always looking around. But the dark fur is something I've never seen before. There also seems to be some kind of squared protrusion sticking out of his back that I've never seen. Good detective work!

Andrew54

hmm... I wish they would just get fix him fixed permanently. Its been 3 years since I have seen him working correctly. I dont know how or whats really wrong I just wish it could be fixed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom