EPCOT 25th Gallery was CLOSED today - what's up?

hpyhnt 1000

Haha. The Mouse dosn`t have full video documentation of attractions that are no longer with us. They have to resort to third parties.

Hm. Thats interesting. So they don't even have footage of their own attractions from yesteryear? Wow.

Heh, as EE said, its a good thing you have those nice tributes of some of those attractions, Martin. (Horizons, WoM, etc.) I mean, I bet even Disney doesn't have footage of them anymore, and if they want video of them, they have to trun to somebody else, and you're...

Wait...

You have...

And Disney...

And you said they turn to third parties...

Martin, are you trying to tell us something? :lookaroun

:lol: ;)

EPCOT Explorer

Hm. Thats interesting. So they don't even have footage of their own attractions from yesteryear? Wow.

Heh, as EE said, its a good thing you have those nice tributes of some of those attractions, Martin. (Horizons, WoM, etc.) I mean, I bet even Disney doesn't have footage of them anymore, and if they want video of them, they have to trun to somebody else, and you're...

Wait...

You have...

And Disney...

And you said they turn to third parties...

Martin, are you trying to tell us something? :lookaroun

:lol: ;)
I think we have discovered the font of knowledge that is Martins source.;):D

Epcotrob

Funny story. I was in the Magic Kingdom with one of my best friends Jeff Lange. We were in line for Philharmagic and Tony Baxter was in line with his wife right behind us. Jeff turned around and said hi to Tony and he said hi back like they were friends. I thought nothing more of the situation until Tony asked Jeff if he had photos of a certain section of the old Journey into Imagination ride. Jeff asked why and tony told him that word around WDI was that Jeff had one of the best photo archives of everything EPCOT Center. He also said that disney archived very little of EPCOT. Jeff was shocked and said he would have to see if he had the photos for when he got home. Tony gave him his personal number and then we went our own way in the attraction.

So I can say first hand, yeah they dont have much in the way of archives. Disney saves nothing. It is sad really. But think of all the stuff that Mouse Surplus, and Surplus Kingdom gets thier hands on. Heck I was sitting in a Horizons ride car last week in the Mouse Surplus wherehouse.

EPCOT Explorer

Funny story. I was in the Magic Kingdom with one of my best friends Jeff Lange. We were in line for Philharmagic and Tony Baxter was in line with his wife right behind us. Jeff turned around and said hi to Tony and he said hi back like they were friends. I thought nothing more of the situation until Tony asked Jeff if he had photos of a certain section of the old Journey into Imagination ride. Jeff asked why and tony told him that word around WDI was that Jeff had one of the best photo archives of everything EPCOT Center. He also said that disney archived very little of EPCOT. Jeff was shocked and said he would have to see if he had the photos for when he got home. Tony gave him his personal number and then we went our own way in the attraction.

So I can say first hand, yeah they dont have much in the way of archives. Disney saves nothing. It is sad really. But think of all the stuff that Mouse Surplus, and Surplus Kingdom gets thier hands on. Heck I was sitting in a Horizons ride car last week in the Mouse Surplus wherehouse.
Wow...If your story is true...?:eek:

I don't get it...

Disney has a HUGE archives.There are Warehouses of things that the Imagineers have built/artifacts/models/ according to the Imagineering Book.:shrug:What does Dave Smith do then?!?:veryconfu

Epcotrob

Yeah they have artifacts and models and stuff. But very little of the stuff that was actually in the attractions themselves. I as a common fan would think that Disney would save everything. I am slowly being shown that this is not the case. I still dont want to believe it but with some of the pieces that i have got and some of the things I have seen. I am changing my mind.

Want to verify my story E-mail Jeff himself his e-mail is on his webpage. Heck ask Martin yourself I think he can vouch for most of what I say. I believe Jeff himself told Martin about this moment I have spoken of.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep - Epcotrob speaks the truth. Sad but true. The archives have what promo stuff was shot way back, but nothing to actual show entire attractions as the guest saw them.

Save for some fan-made videos and pesonal collections from various sources.

They have tonnes of concept art and hundereds of models, but only a fraction of these are what was actually saved. What they have left is the tip of the iceberg form what was actually made.

Kingdom WDW

With the impending possibility of me having to sift through 200 posts of EPCOTgeekdom, (not that that's a bad thing ;)) is the gallery still open or not?

WDW1974

Disney doesn't save much from old attractions. On the other hand, you'd be surprised at what they do save ... often for decades in their many warehouses.

And just a correction on a point above, Tony Baxter is most assuredly not married ... at least not to a woman whether or not he is seen with one.

Epcotrob

Disney doesn't save much from old attractions. On the other hand, you'd be surprised at what they do save ... often for decades in their many warehouses.

And just a correction on a point above, Tony Baxter is most assuredly not married ... at least not to a woman whether or not he is seen with one.

I did not personally speak to him so I just thought it was his wife. But he was with a woman and they just got back from their Disney cruise. To quote him "They were killing a few hours in the park before they had to get to the airport".

disnyfan89

If I remember correctly, the SeaCabs ride closed in preparation for the conversion to The Seas with Nemo, long after Turtle Talk had been installed. Attendance fell due to refurbishment basically making The Seas a paviollion only running at half capacity.

The Sea Cabs were closed before the plans for Nemo hit the table. Im also almost 100% sure they were closed before Nemo even hit theaters. In fact as some one who lives only 15min from the park and going at least two or three times a month since 1994 I can only recall riding the sea cabs once. Same for Horizon which is a shame as I remember loving it.

Yes, Nemo is relevant to the material. The problem is that now, Nemo is the material, not the Seas. Instead of the Seas being the material and Nemo being the supporting cast.
The message is still there. Maybe not as strong for you but it's still there. I can see how it would be easy for a person to turn a blind eye to it if they didn't want to see it however.

Yes, but notice that those characters all have attractions in a concentrated themed area that is dedicated to Disney Characters (Fantasyland & Mickey's Toon Refugee Tent Camp).
Isn't The Seas with Nemo and Friends (Please note the order of that title. Funny how I never noticed that before.) just a new concentrated character area? And what about the other attractions in other parks that have little to do with the area they are located such as Festival of the Lion King, Beauty and the Beast on stage, Fantasmic!, Splash Mountain etc, etc, etc.

Matpez

I can confirm, the gallery is both closed and empty (minus some stuff yet to be removed from the walls). All of the displays are 100% confirmed gone.

:cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom