Disney's Hollywood Studios: What's Next

hellowonderland

My wishlist would be --

a) to expand the Star Wars section of the park, but I am a huge dork. I think the theming possibilities are tremendous -- even just for perhaps one more ride - I think a roller coaster would work well (although might be derivative from Space Mountain and of course Star Tours I suppose) - a restaurant and a few more shops or even walk-through attractions. I've always wanted to wander around the Millennium Falcon for instance. Not to bring up Avatarland, but I think Star Wars Land would be infinitely better and provide better longevity and fan support

b) to update the GMR - not sure what I'd add to it, other than perhaps Titanic, but I think it needs some love

c) to get rid of LMA. I've always found it horrendously boring and a waste of space

d) replace the Backlot Tour with something better. I love the idea farther back in the thread of a "ride through animation" -- sounds breathtaking

e) better QS options with better theming... ABC Commissionary is particularly horrific, although the hubby loves it due to the air conditioning and vast amount of seating.

f) do a 'movie villians' dark ride... spooky

koryadams

I don't think that Disney would do that though, since Downtown Disney cannot make them any money. If they wanted to make a show like WOC, they would put it in some type of park setting, since they can charge a fee. If they put it in DD, people from all over the country would come and see it because it would be free. Disney is not a giveaway type of company.... more like "money, money, money!" (Especially from the corporate wallet side of things...)
Um...they do give alot away. And they could have tickets to it and have seating like Fantasmic. It would be something new where they have a Disney show outside the parks and you don't have to have a theme park ticket to see it. I think it would be great

ellie-badge

As I read this thread and other similar threads, it occurs to me that we have the makings of a fun little contest here. I've seen several suggestions for what some people would do to update DHS if they were in charge, some in just textual descriptions and a handful with mocked up maps. I think it'd be awesome if we did some at-home imagineering and come up with some detailed plans for what we think DHS should be.

Individuals or teams could put together convincing proposals (with descriptions, maps, artistic imagery, financials, phased rollout plans, mockups in RCT3, etc) of what they'd like to see take place in DHS. At some date these could be judged based on financial feasibility, creativity/innovation, crowd-balance, and just overall wow-factor.

I think this would be a ton of fun, even if the efforts never go anywhere. Now, to be clear, I'm more of the idea guy here and I'm not in a position to coordinate it or offer prizes or any such thing. But I'd love to see what ideas others come up with, especially if those ideas are given serious and thoughtful design (e.g, more than just a few paragraphs on this forum). Maybe someone on this forum with the right connections could put the winning idea(s) in front of the real TDO (either for thoughtful consideration or under-the-rug sweeping, depending on the attitudes in play).

That sounds like an incredible idea! I'd definitely liven things up a bit on the forums. Others who don't participate could Like our posts that contain our ideas, and whoever has the most Likes win?

Anyway, even if this doesn't go anywhere, it'd still be awesome. I'd be more than willing to try my hand at some concept art/sketches, hehe. :p

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That sounds like an incredible idea! I'd definitely liven things up a bit on the forums. Others who don't participate could Like our posts that contain our ideas, and whoever has the most Likes win?

Anyway, even if this doesn't go anywhere, it'd still be awesome. I'd be more than willing to try my hand at some concept art/sketches, hehe. :p
Have a look in the Imagineering forum. Theres lots of similar ideas there!

Beholder

My wishlist would be --

a) to expand the Star Wars section of the park, but I am a huge dork. I think the theming possibilities are tremendous -- even just for perhaps one more ride - I think a roller coaster would work well (although might be derivative from Space Mountain and of course Star Tours I suppose) - a
restaurant and a few more shops or even walk-through attractions. I've
always wanted to wander around the Millennium Falcon for instance. Not to
bring up Avatarland, but I think Star Wars Land would be infinitely better
and provide better longevity and fan support

b) to update the GMR - not sure what I'd add to it, other than perhaps Titanic, but I think it needs some love

c) to get rid of LMA. I've always found it horrendously boring and a waste of space

d) replace the Backlot Tour with something better. I love the idea farther back in the thread of a "ride through animation" -- sounds breathtaking

e) better QS options with better theming... ABC Commissionary is particularly horrific, although the hubby loves it due to the air conditioning and vast amount of seating.

f) do a 'movie villians' dark ride... spooky

I really like the idea of expanding Star Wars. It's literally an entire "universe" of potential. It's expandable in ways other franchises are not. Many "off camera" stuff to play with. It's a shame so much is left on the table and unrealized.

I agree 100% about LMA and Backlot. LMA once and them blah, and Backlot was interesting at one time. Now, it's been marginalized and pointless.

Lets just hope someone, somewhere addresses some of the "needs" that DHS has.

tomman710

Star Wars is a no brainer timeless idea with endless potential ... but at this point I don't trust TDO or George Lucas to deliver something great. (I do like ST2.)

Beholder

Star Wars is a no brainer timeless idea with endless potential ... but at this point I don't trust TDO or George Lucas to deliver something great. (I do like ST2.)

I don't trust that an appropriate budget would get approved for anything that scale. George is becoming senile in his old age. If WDI were allowed to expand on the concepts, characters and stories of the core Star Wars universe, then it'd be great. Something that remained faithful to the original tone and feel, but explored some of the little known or undeveloped elements would/could be amazing. Just my 2 cents.

Disneyfan506

I think DHS needs something new and excited!! I would love to see the following at DHS: World of Color, Cars Land, Monsters INC Roller Coaster & the removal of the Backlot Tour and expand Pixar Place.

steviej

just saw this thread, not about to read through 22+ pages lol imho, epcot needs something, the last thing hs got was tsm which is still a hot commodity for the park, and that was 08, when was the last big thing for epcot?

WDW1974

I don't trust that an appropriate budget would get approved for anything that scale. George is becoming senile in his old age. If WDI were allowed to expand on the concepts, characters and stories of the core Star Wars universe, then it'd be great. Something that remained faithful to the original tone and feel, but explored some of the little known or undeveloped elements would/could be amazing. Just my 2 cents.

Just repeating again (that seems like what most of us wind up doing) but for some reason neither Disney nor Lucas have any desire to expand the Star Wars presence in Disney's parks. If they did, then you might see something. But no one (fans aside) seem to want this to happen ... and so it doesn't.

tomman710

Just repeating again (that seems like what most of us wind up doing) but for some reason neither Disney nor Lucas have any desire to expand the Star Wars presence in Disney's parks. If they did, then you might see something. But no one (fans aside) seem to want this to happen ... and so it doesn't.

I have heard many people say this so I'm curious do you or any insiders know if this is a money issue between them (or was that worked out already) or is it just general lack of interest based on their own "consensus of public opinion."

RSoxNo1

You've said this multiple times, and to me that speaks to how far out of sync with guest interest they really are. Star Wars is the one proven franchise that can go toe to toe with Potter. Yes, it's possible that Lord of the Rings could do it, it's even possible that Avatar could do it, but we know that Star Wars can do it.

The attraction possibilities are limitless, the merchandise opportunities are greater than those of Potter, and the Mos Eisley Cantina could be just as (if not more) intriguing as Butterbeer.

WDW1974

I have heard many people say this so I'm curious do you or any insiders know if this is a money issue between them (or was that worked out already) or is it just general lack of interest based on their own "consensus of public opinion."

If I knew, then I'd tell you. I just don't.

But for all the talk you hear on Disney fan forums and I know some Imagineer types that would LOVE to do more in the SW UNIverse, the reality is no one seems to push it.

The idea of a Star Wars mini-land may come up daily (it seems!) places like this, but I know of no serious concepts to do so ... the Muppets got more of a shot. Again, I'm not sure why ... and it is crazy.

WDW1974

You've said this multiple times, and to me that speaks to how far out of sync with guest interest they really are. Star Wars is the one proven franchise that can go toe to toe with Potter. Yes, it's possible that Lord of the Rings could do it, it's even possible that Avatar could do it, but we know that Star Wars can do it.

The attraction possibilities are limitless, the merchandise opportunities are greater than those of Potter, and the Mos Eisley Cantina could be just as (if not more) intriguing as Butterbeer.

I just need to correct a little mis-statement ... there is no way Avatar can compete with either Potter or Star Wars. NONE. It isn't in the public consciousness and didn't affect the psyche of the masses like those two did.

I'm not saying that you can't have a nice and successful Avatar-based theme park product, but it will never have the relevance to the masses that Star Wars or Harry Potter both do.

baymenxpac

I just need to correct a little mis-statement ... there is no way Avatar can compete with either Potter or Star Wars. NONE. It isn't in the public consciousness and didn't affect the psyche of the masses like those two did.

I'm not saying that you can't have a nice and successful Avatar-based theme park product, but it will never have the relevance to the masses that Star Wars or Harry Potter both do.

i'd tend to agree. if avatar happens and they do it right, i'll be psyched. and i'm sure it will make a very cool addition to AK. but nothing can stir people like star wars and potter.

@RSoxNo1 is right though. the cantina would become the most successful dining establishment on property.

tomman710

i'd tend to agree. if avatar happens and they do it right, i'll be psyched. and i'm sure it will make a very cool addition to AK. but nothing can stir people like star wars and potter.

@RSoxNo1 is right though. the cantina would become the most successful dining establishment on property.

Agreed. And I'll add you can't tell me that a speeder bike ride based on that rumored Tron Light Cycle ride system wouldn't have a logjam wait ... or a dueling Tie Fighter/X-Wing Coaster ...

The point is the possibilities with the franchise are innumerable and TDO is ridiculously out of touch for not even having something on the drawing board.

Beholder

Just repeating again (that seems like what most of us wind up doing) but for some reason neither Disney nor Lucas have any desire to expand the Star Wars presence in Disney's parks. If they did, then you might see something. But no one (fans aside) seem to wan
t this to happen ... and so it doesn't.

I totally understand this, but I'm just throwing out the "what if". I think if it were going to happen, it would've happened already, probably a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away). Maybe one day, if the Star Wars brand hasn't faded into irrelevance, it'll come to pass, but I'm not counting on it by any means.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Agreed. And I'll add you can't tell me that a speeder bike ride based on that rumored Tron Light Cycle ride system wouldn't have a logjam wait ... or a dueling Tie Fighter/X-Wing Coaster ...

The point is the possibilities with the franchise are innumerable and TDO is ridiculously out of touch for not even having something on the drawing board.

I'm sure they have something, many things, on the blue sky drawing board. But there's another party in play when it comes to Star Wars, and George Lucas has been reluctant (to put it mildly) to expand the SW presence in the Disney parks.

tomman710

I'm sure they have something, many things, on the blue sky drawing board. But there's another party in play when it comes to Star Wars, and George Lucas has been reluctant (to put it mildly) to expand the SW presence in the Disney parks.

Which again seems odd because he's also proven that he'll out any property for cash and merchandising opportunities.

I'm not disputing any claims (because we really don't know the reason) but either way as of today we don't have a SW Land and that in of itself is silly.

Beholder

As a fan a George Lucas's work (early stuff), I've always loved the idea of an expanded Star Wars "footprint", but I wonder what GL's reluctance stems from? It isn't a lack of wanting money. Perhaps he's afraid of his brand becoming "watered down", seen as uncool by the fan base. Star Wars weekend remains as popular as ever, so I'm not sure that's the issue. Perhaps he's afraid people will associate ownership of Star
Wars with Disney? Or perhaps it's Disney that
doesn't want the added association. I'm just
floored that two creative powerhouses would leave so much potential unrealized.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom