Disney's Hollywood Studios: What's Next

Disneyfanatic!!

Original Poster
Screamscape is reporting the following:
Future Attraction Speculation / 25th Anniversary - (6/25/12) With the work on Fantasyland well under way by this point, and Avatar at Animal Kingdom still looking to be a few years out, this has led to a few thoughts and speculations about a possible series of major new projects rumored to be under development for the Studios. There are still the old rumors floating around, like the Monsters Inc. themed door coaster ride, a revamp of the Great Movie Ride or even a possible new generation MuppetVision concept. But then there are also a few other new rumors banging through the pipes… like a possible small upgrade to Rock ‘n Roller Coaster that could see Aerosmith dropped, or how about replacing Fantasmic! with a copy of World of Color… or the big one that I think everyone really wants… killing off the useless Backlot Tram Tour and redeveloping that whole property as a WDW version of Cars Land, complete with a new Cars 2 themed version of Lights, Motor, Action full of spy action, fast chases and big explosions.
Cars Land sure would be an awesome gift to Disney’s Hollywood Studios to celebrate it’s 25th Anniversary in 2014, wouldn’t it? Just saying… but whatever Disney has planned to celebrate the 25th, they’ll probably need to start on it before the end of this year.
This seems to align with some other members on here have been reporting about something definitely being in the works for DHS. Hmmm...

Thrill Seeker

Screamscape: Throwing Everything at the Wall Since (Insert Year Here)

Would be nice, but I don't see Carsland making it to DHS anytime in the near future. Florida had their chance and management balked at the cost.

I've heard from a few sources that upper management was taking a wait and see approach. Cars Land is doing wonders for DCA's attendance, so maybe that's enough to green light it. Combine that with the threat of Universal opening more Potter and Cars Land might be the answer...

GLaDOS

I've heard from a few sources that upper management was taking a wait and see approach. Cars Land is doing wonders for DCA's attendance, so maybe that's enough to green light it. Combine that with the threat of Universal opening more Potter and Cars Land might be the answer...

Who knows.

Years ago I'd hope for Disney to be more creative than cloning something that quickly, but the company of today is not the company of the past.

GLaDOS

I agree. Although RSR looks fantastic, I'd rather have new, unique attractions (such as the Monsters Inc Coaster) than clones...

I'll take RSR over that personally.

If they're insisting on a clone, I think I'd rather see the Ratatouille attraction from Paris.

Ignohippo

Rather than incurring the expense of CarsLand v2, I'd really like to see TDO design a Indy Speedway-type attraction where kids and families can drive cars through different countries (like the International Grand Prix of Cars 2). It would take up a bit of the space of what is currently the Backlot Tour, and fit perfectly with the sets of LMA. Costuming, etc. could remain and the outside of the building "skinned" to look like the buildings of other countries.

Also, because this would be the same type of thing as the Indy Speedway, the Indy Speedway at MK could be closed and that massive plot of land could be used for something else.

jt04

Rather than incurring the expense of CarsLand v2, I'd really like to see TDO design a Indy Speedway-type attraction where kids and families can drive cars through different countries (like the International Grand Prix of Cars 2). It would take up a bit of the space of what is currently the Backlot Tour, and fit perfectly with the sets of LMA. Costuming, etc. could remain and the outside of the building "skinned" to look like the buildings of other countries.

Also, because this would be the same type of thing as the Indy Speedway, the Indy Speedway at MK could be closed and that massive plot of land could be used for something else.

BRAVO!!!!!!! Love it!

Add Cinemagique somewhere and WoC, replace Mermaid with a similar show and put the Carpets in the AC and remove the BAH and then I can retire from these boards.

novawildcat18

Although this ride sounds somewhat fun and I love the idea of the Indy Speedway land being used for something else, I just don't see how this entire section of land can be used for arguably the worst Pixar movie yet. Personally, I fell asleep during Cars 2, I really didn't like it at all and I think most of us can believe that it was created mostly because merchandise sales would go through the roof, not because it was a brilliant concept for a movie.

Mike K

I'd rather do without a Cars Land clone as well even though the new expansion looks wonderful. I just think that Cars Land at California Adventure is the crown jewel of what makes that park really special now. No need to just copy it. I say remove Lights, Motor, Action! without question to make way for new attractions. The sky is the limit with what you could put in that area. The Great Movie Ride could definitely utilize some new scenes in it. Expand Pixar Place with the long rumored Monsters Inc. Coaster, put in a thrilling 3D Incredibles attraction and do a complete refurb of Pizza Planet to really match the film's version of it. Leave the MuppetVision 3D film untouched as it was Jim Henson's last project he worked on. I'm all for refurbing the queue area and the outside of the attraction as well as expanding the Muppets' presence in the park completely. Update Voyage of the Little Mermaid instead of just ditching it. Disney has major plans for Little Mermaid that of course include the 3D theatrical re-release and the Blu-ray release next year so I doubt Disney would do away with a show based on the film so I'd much rather see them refurb it into something really unique again. And of course, move the hat to a non distracting location. There's definitely plenty more that can be done but I'd have to think it over.

bethymouse

One can only wish...:)

bethymouse

DHS definitely needs some love, and AK as well. So... waiting on bended knee for an official announcement. Assuming only makes an a-- out of you and me ( my Grandpa always said that).;)

Jim Handy

At this point, I don't see any attractions far enough along to be fully developed and built by the end of 2014-the 25th anniversary year of DHS. Unless the Fantasmic project gets going. Again.

Most of what is mentioned in the OP's quote is more armchair Imagineering than a legitimate possibility.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I love the emphatic use of the word "possible" throughout that blurb. But, Screamscape also said it was possible Brazil would sponsor a new pavilion in EP- in April of 2011....:rolleyes:

El Grupo

I'd rather do without a Cars Land clone as well even though the new expansion looks wonderful. I just think that Cars Land at California Adventure is the crown jewel of what makes that park really special now. No need to just copy it. I say remove Lights, Motor, Action! without question to make way for new attractions. The sky is the limit with what you could put in that area. The Great Movie Ride could definitely utilize some new scenes in it. Expand Pixar Place with the long rumored Monsters Inc. Coaster, put in a thrilling 3D Incredibles attraction and do a complete refurb of Pizza Planet to really match the film's version of it. Leave the MuppetVision 3D film untouched as it was Jim Henson's last project he worked on. I'm all for refurbing the queue area and the outside of the attraction as well as expanding the Muppets' presence in the park completely. Update Voyage of the Little Mermaid instead of just ditching it. Disney has major plans for Little Mermaid that of course include the 3D theatrical re-release and the Blu-ray release next year so I doubt Disney would do away with a show based on the film so I'd much rather them refurbing it into something really unique again. And of course, move the hat to a non distracting location. There's definitely plenty more that can be done but I'd have to think it over.

I second the vote for an Incredibles attraction. Would be interesting to see what was initially proposed for CA. I'd rather see something like what you have mentioned for Pixar Place, plus a Ratatouille and another slow dark ride to take some of the pressure off of TSMM.

As for the LMA space, I'd like to see a variation of the proposed Crimestoppers ride possibly themed around a chase from one of the Indy movies (e.g, Shanghai car scene in Temple of Doom) or a storyline created specifically for the attraction.

menamechris

Anything that is going to happen to be used to compete with Potter 2.0 would have to break ground now. Once again, Disney's "wait and see" type approach actually translates to procrastination....and then ultimately nothing. But I suppose we should be thrilled we are getting a Pirates walk-through exhibit this fall. I suppose thats something simple enough they were willing to throw money at.

Redsky89

Replacing Fantasmic would be interesting. That show is already awesome and I don't know what they could do to top it. Cars Land I could do without. I'd like a new MuppetVision show.

WeLComeHomE OKW

Yeah, wow. Talk about throwing every rumor out there and hoping one of them is right. Obviously, Epcot's Futureworld and Hollywood Studios all need work done. Just depends on how Disney prioritizes.

I really hope they work on Great Movie Ride first. That thing needs some lovin.

Lee

Adventurer
Most of what is mentioned in the OP's quote is more armchair Imagineering than a legitimate possibility.
This.

The Monsters ride could be jumpstarted fairly easily...but as of now, I have no concrete information that it is hapening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom