Disney's Hollywood Studios: What's Next

cheezbat

Apparently, the right to have the Chinese Theatre as the park icon is expired or something. Doesn't make sense to me, maybe someone else knows better.

That's a fanboy/CM myth. I've heard that story for ages. If indeed it was true, the theater facade would have had to be changed years ago. There's no way it'd still be there standing. Just putting a giant hat in front of it doesn't mean it's gone! Lol

dreamscometrue

Apparently, the right to have the Chinese Theatre as the park icon is expired or something. Doesn't make sense to me, maybe someone else knows better.

The other site is . Hope I don't get in trouble for referring to another site, no harm intended.

How reliable is this 'Tom' person on that site?

Mickey_777

What's next? Pixar Studios expansion with a Toy Story restaurant, Monsters Inc coaster, Wall-E m&g, Cars dark ride (with Japan Pooh ride system) and appropriate all things Pixar Studios gift shop. Immersiveness, detail, and quality as far as the eye can see.

Jedeye80

As long as something significant is what's next for DHS I don't think there will be too many complaints. No matter what show ride or attraction came to the park there would always be somebody who wanted something else, me included. I don't want the park to be filled with new Pixar attractions but that's not going to stop me enjoying them, as long as the park gets something to sort it out I'll be happy.

alphac2005

Chinese Theater rights are a myth.

It's incredible how someone has a thought, no matter how wrong it is, it gets posted on the Internet, and people just run with it. The only rights issue pertained to the usage of the Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM) name and it was a 20 year agreement with an annual fee paid to MGM and it could then further be renewed annually based upon mutual agreement of the companies after the 20 year timeline.

The Grauman's then Mann's now Grauman's again has nothing to do with the MGM issue and never did. MGM never even had an ownership stake in the property. It's amazing that any facts are ever discerned when there is so much rumor and nonsense constantly posted online. :)

I'm surprised that there hasn't been some Eiffel Tower rumor that it has to come down in EPCOT due to rights issues.;)

GrumpyFan

I read thru (and commented) on "the other site's" rumor and I just have to say this is the first time I've read a rumor about WDW that IF true, almost makes me ill. Avatar confused me at first and I thought it was a joke, but I'm slowly warming too. FLE, while somewhat feminine at first, didn't seem too bad, but THIS, I just don't like. And it's not because I don't like Cars or the characters, I just don't like the idea of creating a clone when there are so many other things they could do. As others here have said, it's shameful if true (and lazy) that they would clone the improvements from DCA to DHS. Generally, I try to avoid these kind of critical statements about Disney and Imagineering, especially before the projects are completed, and I know at this point this is just a wild rumor, but for some reason there's something about this one that feels like it just might be true. I sincerely hope not, at least not entirely! There are a few elements I might go for, like the long-rumored Monster's attraction, and Mos-Eisley (sp?) cantina, but the others I'm just not too keen on. Come on Disney, you can do better than just cloning. Use your imagination and give us something new.

NoChesterHester

^^^Luckily, most of what was on that other site was pure speculation.

I figured that when Star Wars Expansion was part of the post. It makes so much sense and all insiders have confirmed no more Star Wars.

Also, replacing the Chinese Theater with Carthay Circle just doesn't make sense to me.

Red Car Trolleys would be welcome.

GLaDOS

I figured that when Star Wars Expansion was part of the post. It makes so much sense and all insiders have confirmed no more Star Wars.

Also, replacing the Chinese Theater with Carthay Circle just doesn't make sense to me.

Red Car Trolleys would be welcome.

Trolleys, as far as I know, were always planned for the park. I'd be totally cool with their inclusion.

GrumpyFan

Trolleys, as far as I know, were always planned for the park. I'd be totally cool with their inclusion.

I think I prefer the story they've crafted, with remnants of them still there. It just feels more authentic and like their is history there and more to be discovered if you're willing to look.
Don't get me wrong, I like them in DCA, but it almost seems like a stretch to bring them into the current time-frame. To me, adding them would be the equivalent of dusting and cleaning up the lobby at Hollywood Towers (ToT).

RSoxNo1

Weren't their reasons that the trolley's weren't included as part of the Sunset Boulevard expansion. Can anyone shed some light on that?

GrumpyFan

Weren't their reasons that the trolley's weren't included as part of the Sunset Boulevard expansion. Can anyone shed some light on that?

It was probably a money/budget issue that was stricken by Eisner at the time. But, from my understanding, they wrote the backstory to make it a part of the history of the area, like many other elements. The time period is not necessarily set, but it was an established area in Hollywood that was once popular with the stars. I seem to remember Jim Korkis or Jim Hill talking about it once.

RSoxNo1

I always wa under the impression that Sunset was set in the 1940's. Buildings from the 30's.

Didn't they have War Posters up at opening?
That's my understanding as well. Hollywood Boulevard is the 30s (roughly), Sunset Boulevard is the 40s (roughly) and Echo Lake is the 50s (roughly).

tomman710

That's funny, if that entire plan happened to be true I would pee my pants with excitement.

I have to agree although it smacks of TDO's unoriginality and their myopia disorder anything major to DHS is a huge step in the right direction at this point.

Thrill Seeker

I would quite happily take just about all of those... (and possibly all of them with a bit more information - not that I'm expecting that information to be readily available yet...)

Some questions from the top of my head... (probably hypothetical for now until more information would be released/an actual announcement)

• Carthay Circle - is that any better than the Chinese Theater? Will it matter unless the hat is taken down? Is there room for new dining? Where would it go? Where ABC Commissary is? Sci-Fi Dine In? The HISTK Playground? A new area in front of the current theatre? (There doesn't seem to be a lot of spare space around the current building unless all of the current building is not in use...) Also, according to http://www.yesterland.com/carthay.html , there is already a (many) representation(s) of Carthay Circle at DHS - will that have to be removed?
  • Great Movie Ride - will all the scenes be kept, or will some be replaced? If so, which ones?
  • Monsters, Inc. - door coaster? Ride & Go Seek? Mike & Sulley to the Rescue? Laugh Floor? Something else?
  • Mos Eisley Cantina - will we get an animatronic band?
  • Trolley Cars - can't argue at all
  • New Theatre - Where? Why do we need a new theatre when we have the Premier Theatre that seems to be unused for most of the year? Or is the Premier Theatre/one of the other theatres being demolished?
  • New Dining - can't argue with that
  • New Jedi Training Academy - would that be going in the Sounds Dangerous building?
  • Muppets Restaurant - Animatonic Swedish Chef?

Let me try to answer this as best I can...

GMR refurb: According to the article, most scenes would remain the same. As for the dining, I could see the queue re-worked and expanded to include a path to the new dining area which replaces ABC Commisary. I'm guessing if Carthay was used for the new GMR exterior, the one on Sunset would be changed.

Monsters Inc would be the long rumored Door Coaster.

Mos Isley Cantina I'm guessing would have some kind of entertainment featuring the cantina band.

The new theater would be an enclosed Theater of the Stars.

Jedi would go into the ABC Sound Studio with an enhanced show.

Sweedish Chef I'm guessing would be a living character, but who knows.

I seriously hope this plan comes true. There are some major perks to this plan if true:

1. We'd gain 2 more attractions (Lose Backlot Tour, LMA, HISTK Playground, Beauty and the Beast and gain Radiator Springs Racers, Mater's, Luigi's, Trolleys, Monsters Inc Door Coaster and Tangled Musical)

2. Uses up empty/wasted space (ABC Sound Studio, Soundstage 1)

3. Refurbs/Enhances GMR and Jedi.

4. Gives park identity again.

5. Most importantly, THE HAT WILL BE GONE!

I'm all for this expansion plan!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom