Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Besides, an argument could be made that WDW is more profitable (if this is indeed the case) exactly because it's skimping on innovation and quality. Effectively, WDW is a watered down version of DLR or, if you will, WDW is a Kmart'ed version of DLR

WDW does so much more because of the varied options and the resorts. The room charges are the backbone of the WDW revenue model. And on top of that, there are so many more spending opportunities than what DLR offers.

I would say DLR is a more 'focused' version.. a focus the company would like to expand, but up until now, has largely failed to do. WDW has far more revenue streams - tho not necessarily more profitable. It's only through ancedotal comments about WDW printing money that we know anything. It takes a hell of a lot more money to run the WDW empire that's for sure..

ParentsOf4

WDW does so much more because of the varied options and the resorts. The room charges are the backbone of the WDW revenue model. And on top of that, there are so many more spending opportunities than what DLR offers.

I would say DLR is a more 'focused' version.. a focus the company would like to expand, but up until now, has largely failed to do. WDW has far more revenue streams - tho not necessarily more profitable. It's only through ancedotal comments about WDW printing money that we know anything. It takes a hell of a lot more money to run the WDW empire that's for sure..
It still seems to be the "more equals better" argument. Does more variety equate to better variety? Are WDW hotel's better than DLR's hotels because there are more of them? Are WDW theme parks better because there are more? Are WDW's attractions, ..., well you know the spiel by now.

I agree that it takes a lot more money to run WDW. That doesn't mean the money is being more intelligently spent. Based on attendance trends at Universal and DLR, it seems that WDW is late to the party on intelligently spending money.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It still seems to be the "more equals better" argument. Does more variety equate to better variety? Are WDW hotel's better than DLR's hotels because there are more of them? Are WDW theme parks better because there are more? Are WDW's attractions, ..., well you know the spiel by now.

And I'd answer that there is no one answer :) The products were built differently.. they still aim differently.. and still deliver different products. I would like to think the model WDW is built upon is 'better' as it offers so many more potentials, has more breathing room, and offers a 'all inclusive' type environment. But the model and execution aren't quite the same :) What I do know is.. hitting WDW after a 10 year lapse that included me traveling much of the world and seeing many different experiences, made me feel empty and underwhelmed in my first trip back to WDW - sans one area.. the water parks. Since returning after that gap, there really hasn't been anything to make me put WDW back on the pedestal it once stood for me. There are things I enjoy, things that still wow me, and I still go when I can.. but I don't clear the table just so I can make a WDW trip 'work'.

TP2000

And the problem is? Exit I-5, 2 streets and you're parked.

Many of us avoid I-5, or the other four freeways near Disneyland. I can buzz down surface streets to Katella or Chapman and be from my place in Villa Park to the Toy Story Parking Lot in about 15 minutes without traffic, 20 minutes if there's an Angels game at the stadium or a concert at Honda Center. A 5 minute shuttle ride from the parking lot and I'm being dropped off about 75 yards from the park entry turnstiles. :D

And if WDW really is making all that money, it makes you wonder what they do with it all???

I have no doubt WDW Resort brings in much more cash to the company bottom line than little Disneyland Resort, but you have to wonder why Disneyland spends so much of their profits on things like routine maintenance and upkeep and plussing older attractions, profits that WDW apparently just bundles up and ships back to Burbank immediately? :confused:

Cosmic Commando

Sounds great. But I've only dropped seven pounds in the past few weeks and really need to fit into my tux for some small insignificant TV awards show I'll be attending in a month. ... I hear Bob Iger might show too!
I'll keep an eye out for you! You'll be the one holding the little statue?

Cosmic Commando

Many of us avoid I-5, or the other four freeways near Disneyland. I can buzz down surface streets to Katella or Chapman and be from my place in Villa Park to the Toy Story Parking Lot in about 15 minutes without traffic, 20 minutes if there's an Angels game at the stadium or a concert at Honda Center. A 5 minute shuttle ride from the parking lot and I'm being dropped off about 75 yards from the park entry turnstiles. :D

And if WDW really is making all that money, it makes you wonder what they do with it all??? They clearly aren't spending much on animatronic upkeep, screen/film cleaning in Soarin', plussing older attractions and night spectaculars with new tech, or other such trivial matters that keep things looking fresh and crisp.

I have no doubt WDW Resort brings in much more cash to the company bottom line than little Disneyland Resort, but you have to wonder why Disneyland spends so much of their profits on things like routine maintenance and upkeep, profits that WDW apparently just bundles up and ships back to Burbank immediately? :confused:
I don't think I could have said it any better myself! If WDW makes so much money, why don't they do anything with it? The last major investment they made was Everest, and it had a significant impact on attendance for that park. Couldn't Epcot or DHS use a boost, then? If WDW isn't making all that much money, why don't they do things more like their DLR cousins?

I agree with everything except that whole I-5 thingy. The carpool-to-carpool exits on the highways are a beautiful thing! ...but then again, I'm coming from Torrance.

Cosmic Commando

And WDW's size can also be a huge liability, as the company found out after 9/11.

spaceghost

Avengers was pre-sold. Paramount did all the work on that. Disney gets credit for buying it from them and that's about it.

I beg to differ, at least partially. I think that things were in a ripe position due to the previous movies, etc., but they still had solid preview trailers and did market the heck out of it. A quick anecdote related to this - I work in IT (shocking, I know) and we got an advert mailer from Oracle selling enterprise class servers...that was a cross promotion with The Avengers! It was a totally bizarre thing, but I ended up hanging up the poster in my cubicle for a few months (me being a Marvel fan-boy and all). And you know what, it spurred conversation with co-workers, some of whom actually had no idea who The Avengers were and what it was all about, so I think that marketing did have an effect.

M.rudolf

This may sound stupid but if you want a change of pace visit DL I did and the differences are amazing, DW is not on the same level. Attractions like Peter Pan show just what a little tlc can do. If you don't go then fine but before you compare the two parks you should go. If DW is the money earner I'd like to see the books, because at DL you can see where the majority of money is spent. After being a twice a year DW patron. I'll now go to DL for the next few years.

lazyboy97o

If you want to visit DL you must go into the city of Anaheim. DL is fully enclosed in the city of Anaheim. No part of WDW is within Orlando. You can drive, fly or walk to WDW and never enter Orlando.
Who flies into Tampa and then drives to Walt Disney World? Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World are connected by all of the same means of transportation.

WDW1974

Original Poster

And if WDW really is making all that money, it makes you wonder what they do with it all???

I have no doubt WDW Resort brings in much more cash to the company bottom line than little Disneyland Resort, but you have to wonder why Disneyland spends so much of their profits on things like routine maintenance and upkeep and plussing older attractions, profits that WDW apparently just bundles up and ships back to Burbank immediately? :confused:

I'll give you a Celeb Imagineer's honest answer to me (and one others have said as well): ''because they can [there].''

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'll keep an eye out for you! You'll be the one holding the little statue?

There are pictures of me out there holding said little statues. And folks in these MAGICal waters (and some who used to be here, like old pal EPCOT Explorer ... does he still hold the all-time posting record? Kid is a bit OCD!) have seen said pics.

I'd like nothing more than to get my hands on some this year.:D ;):cool:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't think I could have said it any better myself! If WDW makes so much money, why don't they do anything with it? The last major investment they made was Everest, and it had a significant impact on attendance for that park. Couldn't Epcot or DHS use a boost, then? If WDW isn't making all that much money, why don't they do things more like their DLR cousins?

I agree with everything except that whole I-5 thingy. The carpool-to-carpool exits on the highways are a beautiful thing! ...but then again, I'm coming from Torrance.

I got nothing to add here except I like Torrance.

I once spent a few months living at the Torrance Marriott and practically living in the Del Amo Mall and area. I love the South Bay! My baby Benz even came from there!

WDW1974

Original Poster
And this matters why? Crime is completely contained with the Orlando city limits?

Orlando is loaded with crime ... often quite violent.

On tonight's news (yes, I still watch a 11 p.m. network affilate newscast! ... I also know what rotary phones were!) they had a study that said O-Town was the third-worst metropolitan area in the country to raise children. The Miami area (where I live) was down near No. 8, I think.

The worst was Wilmington, Delaware ... a place I haven't been in decades.

HMF

On tonight's news (yes, I still watch a 11 p.m. network affilate newscast! ... I also know what rotary phones were!) they had a study that said O-Town was the third-worst metropolitan area in the country to raise children. The Miami area (where I live) was down near No. 8, I think.

Wilmington, Really? Is Camden NJ on the list?

Cosmic Commando

I'll do you one better... there is a functioning rotary phone hanging on my wall right now! :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom