Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Or we could subtitle this post: WDW is in dire trouble and they finally get that timeshares, data mining and cost-cutting won't be enough to cut it.

There's been a lot of chatter of late about WDW and its response to Potter (or lack thereof), but WDW no longer needs just a Potter Swatter or a Transformers Trasher ... and apparently the suits are starting to get VERY worried.

And, yes, that's why you've heard of grandiose plans to redo TPFKaTD-MGMS and drop part of Carsland in (actually as near as I can tell, it's simply RSRs, a shop, and a snack stand, but it could well be more and I don't know what has been proposed to whom at this point). ... Because of the Pandoran Delegations delays in bringing blue aliens to DAK, there's a strong push to get this done and started soon (like as soon as the next fiscal year) and have it open first.

I admit that it is surprising. I've fought it. And I hate the idea that RSRs could wind up in FLA ...BTW, so does Georgie K and TDA because there's a thought that the larger resort will siphon many of the new visitors to Anaheim away if the larger one suddenly has the biggest piece of the redevelopment puzzle ... and John Lasseter could step in and stop this too. This is a VERY fluid situation because Anaheim never expected their top new attraction to suddenly be desired by their cross country cheaper cousin. They, somewhat naturally, don't want to share. And WDW is set to debut Test Track 2.0, but that in no way is an equalizer.

But Kathy Mangum was one of the top folks on Carsland and she now will be residing at Celebration Place, and it isn't because she's replacing Jim MacPhee on Next Gen or because she needs to reign in Joe Rohde's travel expense account.

Right now TDO is running scared (like a fanboi an at Imagineering party who has just tried a 'special' punch and feels a little 'funny'). They have a stale product. They realize (even if some fanbois don't) FINALLY that the modest Fantasyland project isn't enough and they know getting aliens into DAK is not going to be an easy or quick task at all. They also get that timeshare sales may make the bottom line look vastly better than it should, but those won't last forever.

Resort attendance this summer has been abysmal at times (no, you shouldn't have resort load levels in the 60s in the summer!), both DME and DDP are way down. The parks have been lighter than they should be (with the exception of the water parks, which are having phenomenal summers).

The DDP problem many at TDO suspect is because people are opting to either not stay on-site or spend days away from their rooms at POP, PO or the BW making them less likely to get tied down to a meal plan that makes Disney a small fortune.

They are looking to cut costs across the board, because that IS the best way TDO knows how to operate. That's why there is not one single midnight MK closing in August (with many 9 and 10 p.m. nights). That is why they have already announced an hour being removed from EMHs. They are looking at cutting entertainment budgets yet again. ... And also expect to start seeing (if they haven't started yet, conflicting info on this) to have even more staggered hours for attractions. In other words, don't be shocked if Jungle Cruise or PoC starts opening at 11 a.m. when the park is open at 9 (those are just possibilities, so don't say I said that was definitely happening!)

Some resort dining locales may soon see shorter operating hours and lose meals entirely (does any of this sound like WDW in the past?)

Disney also will be taking more hotel inventory out for 'rehab; likely as we head into 2013. That is again a bottom-line as well as PR move. If you remove say 600 rooms for 'work' at ASMu, then you may be able to crow that the resort is 87% full -- now, of course it won't be, but that doesn't matter so much. And work will be coming to many resorts starting next year.

Now, I don't want this to read like bad news, because it actually appears that TDO's running scared because of the competition and Burbank is keeping closer tabs and realizes something needs to be done. ... And while you'll likely see smaller projects at all parks (I'd definitely expect to see Wishes replaced by something better when the new parade debuts now -- that's just an educated opinion there, not fact), it certainly looks like the weak sister Studios will be where the action happens (no, no Marvel, fanbois!)

That shouldn't really surprise, though, because the park most like DCA in Florida is, and always has been, TPFKaTD-MGMS.

Again, I really think this will be GOOD news down the road. But look for more cost cutting, penny pinching and cast and guest screwing until we get there!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Sounds like post 911 Disney on operating hours and the such. If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt a Spirit, this could be the type of fear that brings innovation and quality back to the levels that most would like to see.

menamechris

Wow - I would personally take some temporary cuts if it means funneling more into expansion and additions. I am glad they are feeling the pinch...FINALLY. Whatever they choose to do to Studios, it has to be an improvement. I don't think the park can get any worse than it is now...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow. I really hope RSR stays in California.

I do too. Now, I'm all for spending money on major attractions ... but why does everything have to be cloned?

I appreciate it more when it is overseas, look at the 4-5 hour waits for TSMM in Tokyo this summer. But barely any Americans even travel abroad, so the amount that go to Disney parks in the USA and then do likewise in Asia is a very small minority (one I am VERY proud to be part of).

But to me there's enough folks who visit both USA resorts or plan trips based on offerings at the parks that I'd much rather see something else. But Carsland is wowing folks in CA and FL is big time Nascar country (and many of their visitor base is loving the racing!)

Now, I'm also not saying this will definitely happen, but I am comfortable enough in saying that BIG changes are coming to the Studios whether that attraction happens or not ... but I can tell you for a fact that TDO sees it as its own Voldemort!

menamechris

Well as a Californian, I want it so stay in California because it's the heart and soul of DCA and it's what's keeping it on its toes right now. I don't want another park to have it but they don't listen to me, so...

If it will effect DCA's current "high", Staggs will put a stop to it. At the same time, if the rumors of multiple E tickets coming to the DLR are true, they may feel they have enough in the coming years to still entice guests to visit CA.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
wow. Quite a lot to digest.

I have been waiting patiently for the WDW pendulam to swing back towards a higher quality product. Perhaps we are finally approaching the fulcrum point, where we begin to tip back in the right direction.

The budget cuts that we are currently being subjected to, certainly do give the impression that we are approaching rock bottom. Nowhere to go but up. Right? RIght?!?!?!?

El Grupo

As mentioned, though it may get more painful over the short-term, I can't help but get excited about the potential overall changes down the pike. Sounds like some exciting days could be on the horizon.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If this is finally the wake up call that's a decade overdue I would be thrilled. Who's pushing for the changes though, TDO or Burbank?

Believe it or not, both.

TDO has execs literally poohing their pants because they have watched their numbers and UNI's and they are projecting things to get even worse even with two Dumbos (imagine that?!?!) or you wouldn't see all the cost-cutting that you will (and for every cut you see on stage, rest assured there are 3-4 backstage that you can't see).

But Burbank is starting to grasp that the situation could have big problems for P&R's numbers in the years ahead. Smoke, mirrors and marketing has kept attendance basically flat.

UNI's numbers keep going up. Their numbers in Hollywood this summer have shocked even the Comcast execs ... and that's just with Transformers.

Disney finally blinked and admitted (years too late) that it indeed is involved in a war ... and if it isn't careful, in a few years could see many longtime guests who would stay for 10 nights, suddenly not staying on property at all and visiting for only 2-3 days. There is HUGE concern. And considering the arrogant, greedy bunch, that's saying plenty.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If it will effect DCA's current "high", Staggs will put a stop to it. At the same time, if the rumors of multiple E tickets coming to the DLR are true, they may feel they have enough in the coming years to still entice guests to visit CA.

Those coming attractions are coming because they knew at TDA what could happen in that market if Potter showed up. And, no, they didn't expect Transformers to be as big as it has turned out to be as well.

I 'think' :):cool: that you'll see constuction walls at DL's T-land soon after Christmas (that's almost UNI speed!)

TarzanRocked99-

Well this would be a complete 180 for most of the execs. Not that I am at all complaining. I honestly thought this would happen back in 2010 when IOA posted such drastic increases and then we had ZERO response from TDO. Its almost been like Uni and Disneyland have been run by the same company, one where the philosophy of building quality additions and trying to raise the bar is rewarded with profit. The WDW course of action couldn't be further from that, and if hitting rock bottom is what it takes to get the long overdue turnaround then I am all for it. After all it worked for Disneyland circa 2003.

WDW1974

Original Poster
wow. Quite a lot to digest.

I know. And I've been hearing stuff since last week ... and over the weekend I got confirmation of some things and today got another and I felt comfortable enough with what I put out. ... I admit, I am surprised by it (in a good way), but don't want to gush when I don't know what will eventually be given the green light and how much will be spent.

But money WILL be spent ... attractions will be built ... and CHANGE will come!:)

I have been waiting patiently for the WDW pendulam to swing back towards a higher quality product. Perhaps we are finally approaching the fulcrum point, where we begin to tip back in the right direction.

The budget cuts that we are currently being subjected to, certainly do give the impression that we are approaching rock bottom. Nowhere to go but up. Right? RIght?!?!?!?

Oh, one thing both Disney and life has taught me is that things can ALWAYS get worse ... just when you think you've hit rock bottom the door in the floor opens and drops you a whole lot further.

I do think in some ways Disney will drop further for a while, but it may be masked because you'll have more of the Fantasyland project opening and new DVCs and timeshares (BTW, AoA isn't sizzling from what I gather).

I just don't know. I have lots of information from various sources (and some knowledge, which is what you really want!) and I'm trying to process it all and put it together by connecting the dots.

I find it telling that two people I greatly trust have stated that much of a madeover Studios park could be up and running before we see any sign of blue aliens at DAK, and more importantly, TDO would rather it that way as well (seems like many of us 'haters' aren't the only ones who feel Bob made a bad choice when pouting over Potter).

menamechris

any new word on the newHP projects?

i just read they broke ground, but anymore design ideas out there?

Universal seems to be keeping it very close to the vest for the most part. I wouldn't doubt if they are waiting for Disney's next lackluster announcement - so they can upstage the Mouse once again. That seems to be Universal's new favorite game..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom