Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

Longhairbear

Uh, no. I know perfectly well that there's often construction on Florida roadways. I was born and raised in West Palm Beach. Perhaps the construction comment was unnecessary, but I've just been a bit ticked lately over projects that close off all but 1-2 lanes on the 5 and 405 on heavily-traveled weekend evenings. They've made for some very unpleasant drives back to San Diego County from Anaheim or L.A. recently, heh. But the never-ending traffic is definitely an issue (as are many other things, but this isn't the place to discuss that).
We've been very lucky so far, driving from Palm Springs to DL and back. The 101, 5, 10, and 405 was sure h.e. double hockey sticks from LA county. And the scenery is nicer.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yes, but UKers are bred to view O-Town and Central FLA as paradise. I won't comment as to why that might be!
Compared to much of the UK it is, and if you dont venture beyond the Sanford, Daytona, Tampa triangle youll never know any difference. Swapping coasts last year and touring a little was a great decision for us, broke the theme park obsession and reminded us that the clock is ticking and much is still to be seen first hand. Seeing somewhere is so much better than a representation in a theme park.

Uddy

WDW needs to stay original! LUCAS LAND at HS! I can see a land to look like Tatooine. Do away with the Stunt show, it is a perfect area for a pod race!

culturenthrills

Are you suggesting Florida's highways aren't under constant construction? because as someone who has been a resident since 1977, I'll say that is absolutely not the case unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Florida's Turnpike has never NOT had active construction on it. I-95, I-75, I-4 etc ... as soon as one project wraps, a new one begins, even if there's no reason for it.

Yeah, I live right in the middle of the widening of I75 in Tampa. There are just now widening it from 4 to 6/8 lanes. Something that should have been done 10 years ago. But that is Florida. Always behind when it comes to roads, transit and traffic controls system. I remember when I first moved here 6 years ago and we did a story how Pinellas County had passed a penny tax to pay for a traffic control system so lights on major highways could be synced up. I couldn't believe that. We have had that in VA for 10 years. I think Tampa has the least amount of Interstate highway per capita than any major metro area in the country. Of course the voters shot down light rail 2 years ago. I would love to be able to hop on a train and be able to go to the beach or to a Lightning or Rays game and not have to deal with crazy traffic.

culturenthrills

Back to poor planning at WDW. I was at MK last night and maybe it is just me. But with the late addition of the SW mine train ride the sightlines of that ride seem to totally ruin the view of the LMR by plopping a big hill right in front of it. Looking at the SW mine train and the size of it. Is this ride gonna be like a minute long. I am sure that is gonna really up capacity. Just what we need at WDW another short ride with crappy capacity that will have long lines.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Back to poor planning at WDW. I was at MK last night and maybe it is just me. But with the late addition of the SW mine train ride the sightlines of that ride seem to totally ruin the view of the LMR by plopping a big hill right in front of it. Looking at the SW mine train and the size of it. Is this ride gonna be like a minute long. I am sure that is gonna really up capacity. Just what we need at WDW another short ride with crappy capacity that will have long lines.

I actually think that the fact that it will block the view of Mermaid is a good thing. It will help set Mermaid off into it's own area so you won't see it until you come around the mountain making for a nice reveal. Also, the late addition of the mine ride has nothing to do with the sight lines since the M&G's originally planned for that area would have also blocked the view of the Mermaid.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you go to google maps and blow up the area, the footprint for mine train is roughly the same size as Big Thunder Mountain. BTMRR is listed on touringplans.com as a 7 minute ride so probably somewhere in the 5 to 7 minute range. If the load time is in the same range it should be pretty fast.

Even if it's shorter and longer to load it still beats a meet and greet in my opinion.

NoChesterHester

WDW needs to stay original! LUCAS LAND at HS! I can see a land to look like Tatooine. Do away with the Stunt show, it is a perfect area for a pod race!

The Star Wars people were all tweeting about "hints" of a Star Wars land at Celebration yesterday. I think it is just fan pipe dreams. Until actual evidence surfaces I remain in the camp of "Will Never Happen but Makes Total Sense."

ChrisFL

Premium Member
If you go to google maps and blow up the area, the footprint for mine train is roughly the same size as Big Thunder Mountain. BTMRR is listed on touringplans.com as a 7 minute ride so probably somewhere in the 5 to 7 minute range. If the load time is in the same range it should be pretty fast.

Even if it's shorter and longer to load it still beats a meet and greet in my opinion.

But Thunder Mountain also has 3 lift hills, which increases the time SUBSTANTIALLY. Dwarves mine only has one, from what I can gather

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But Thunder Mountain also has 3 lift hills, which increases the time SUBSTANTIALLY. Dwarves mine only has one, from what I can gather

Mine ride will have two lifts.

layout3.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I thought it was 2 but I could be wrong. It will probably be shorter than BTMRR but not substantially shorter (maybe 5 instead of 7 minutes) and will definitely be longer than the 1 minute the original person suggested.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
BTM has 3 lifts, 7D 2 lifts. The latter will be nowhere near as long as BTM.

Which is a 3 and a half minute ride btw. Nowhere near 7 minutes.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
BTM has 3 lifts, 7D 2 lifts. The latter will be nowhere near as long as BTM.

Which is a 3 and a half minute ride btw. Nowhere near 7 minutes.

On that note it is rather sad hearing that it will be nowhere near as long WITH two lifts. Launchers are running 90-180 seconds (second being the longer and more rare) so that says just how short and very bland the scenes will be. It also tells just how few show scenes that there will be.

doctornick

On that note it is rather sad hearing that it will be nowhere near as long WITH two lifts. Launchers are running 90-180 seconds (second being the longer and more rare) so that says just how short and very bland the scenes will be. It also tells just how few show scenes that there will be.

At this point, we have no idea how long the ride will be. From what insiders here have posted, it seems like the 7DMT will be somewhere in the 2-3 minute timeframe in terms of length. The second and larger of the lift hills will be entirely indoors and feature much of the AAs and scenes. There will also be some outdoor scenes (e.g. the dwarfs walking over the log scene).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Uh, no. I know perfectly well that there's often construction on Florida roadways. I was born and raised in West Palm Beach. Perhaps the construction comment was unnecessary, but I've just been a bit ticked lately over projects that close off all but 1-2 lanes on the 5 and 405 on heavily-traveled weekend evenings. They've made for some very unpleasant drives back to San Diego County from Anaheim or L.A. recently, heh. But the never-ending traffic is definitely an issue (as are many other things, but this isn't the place to discuss that).

Oh, I agree that California's freeways can be a nightmare. I remember one of my first visits in the 90s, coming back to Anaheim from Santa Monica and being on the 5 and suddenly (with almost no warning) the road was closed (this is the major artery connecting the entire west coast of the USA) and suddenly at midnight I was driving down back roads of what was Santa Fe Springs ... or maybe not?

But I'm curious as to what 'issues' you think SoCal has they we miss out on here in paradise (no, I don't think that was my neighbor's home floating by!)

WDW1974

Original Poster

I've already ripped this little B-Ticket (C-ticket if I've been drinking, which I haven't unless Coke counts!) way too much ... let some others enjoy the carcass.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The Star Wars people were all tweeting about "hints" of a Star Wars land at Celebration yesterday. I think it is just fan pipe dreams. Until actual evidence surfaces I remain in the camp of "Will Never Happen but Makes Total Sense."

Yeah because one weirdo in a SW costume said something to another while standing at a urinal and it spread from there.

There simply won't be any more SW in Disney's parks. I have no idea why ... but there won't.

SirLink

Yeah because one weirdo in a SW costume said something to another while standing at a urinal and it spread from there.

There simply won't be any more SW in Disney's parks. I have no idea why ... but there won't.

I have to imagine that stance would change when he dies and his eldest (adopted)daughter inherits the rights though. But if a Spirit could maybe dig us the real reason ?

alissafalco

I have to imagine that stance would change when he dies and his eldest (adopted)daughter inherits the rights though. But if a Spirit could maybe dig us the real reason ?

I'm still holding out hope ;) I'm just guessing but who knows, Disney probably ed off lucas in some way and he basically said ef you to them. ????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom