Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

MarkTwain

Marketing the Avengers was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Yeah, I think they could have shown Iron Man, Thor, and the Hulk standing motionless side-by-side on a movie screen for five seconds, followed by a title and a release date, and people still would have flocked in droves to see it.

It's the movies that aren't as obvious, like John Carter or Tangled, that they always seem to have problems with.

bugsbunny

WDW pales in comparison to DL. Sorry but as much as I have drank the Disney Kool-Aid, I'm not like a lot of folks on these boards that just whip out their wallet and praise at everything they do. I realize its a business that needs to make money, but I also realize the industry looks at Disney for innovation, etc. How they can operate two completely different mantras within the Parks division doesn't seem to make sense though.

I've been to DL a couple of times for vacation over the years and as recently as this year to do the Leap Day celebration. I've been to WDW couple dozen. Times that by the amount of days I usually stay and I easily have 1 month at DL and probably closing in on years worth at WDW. So I've seen both quite a bit.

DL just seems to appear to be "nice, cleaner, and fresher". Can't put my finger on it, but maybe its the fact Walt had his finger in it at one point? Or that Main Street actually has individual shops and not the strip mall feel of WDW's? That PoTC is the long version at DL...complete with a restaurant inside? Instead at WDW, the mantra is "build another DVC!!!!" DL just doesn't appear to be "cheap" in anyway. Even DL's DtD is better than WDW's, not that this is hard to do given the current state of WDW's.

WDW is basically cramming DVC down our throat and an expanded Fantasyland to keep our interest. And if you think about Fantasyland, don't forget it was a Princess themed abomination to start with and then pared down to what we got now. Not saying what we are getting is junk, but just sad that they finally pull the trigger on project and they chop it up after it starts because it needs a "re-do". You do that when you are cooking burgers and burn one...not when spending hundreds of millions of dollars.

Will the transformation of brain power from DL help WDW? We can only hope. Else expect Harry Potter land to start siphoning some more away.

M.rudolf

That's funny I feel the same way about Orlando.
Anaheim is a much safer city. Orlando can Be hit or miss. Being that Anaheim isn't a tourist only destination the criminal element is less. In Orlando outside of Disney property is a gamble safety wise. I've lived in both cities Anaheim is very safe. Orlando is safe if you know where to go.

Clever Name

Anaheim is a much safer city. Orlando can Be hit or miss. Being that Anaheim isn't a tourist only destination the criminal element is less. In Orlando outside of Disney property is a gamble safety wise. I've lived in both cities Anaheim is very safe. Orlando is safe if you know where to go.
You can go to WDW and never set foot in Orlando. When you go to DL you have to deal with Anaheim.

M.rudolf

You can go to WDW and never set foot in Orlando. When you go to DL you have to deal with Anaheim.
No you don't if you don't want to. You can get off the plane an go to resort same as DW if anything it's a little more encompassed. Monorail takes you to downtown disney there so no buses or driving. It's basically like Orlando if you want to go into the city you do if you want to stay on property you do that

Clever Name

No you don't if you don't want to. You can get off the plane an go to resort same as DW if anything it's a little more encompassed. Monorail takes you to downtown disney there so no buses or driving. It's basically like Orlando if you want to go into the city you do if you want to stay on property you do that
If you want to visit DL you must go into the city of Anaheim. DL is fully enclosed in the city of Anaheim. No part of WDW is within Orlando. You can drive, fly or walk to WDW and never enter Orlando.

M.rudolf

If you want to visit DL you must go into the city of Anaheim. DL is fully enclosed in the city of Anaheim. No part of WDW is within Orlando. You can drive, fly or walk to WDW and never enter Orlando.
That really is an ignorant statement If that's the reason you don't want to go to DL good for you, I'll land at John Wayne any day. Anaheim is just as easy to get around. Get off interstate and 1 block away is the parking garage. You may not go thru downtown Orlando but you do go through parts of it

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well the fact that one of our best people from the DCA makeover is heading to WDW should be a sign of hope. We will just have to wait and see.

I wouldn't call Kathy one of the best, but she's good ... it all depends on what she is allowed to do (don't let Merfie read this!)

But, yeah, wait and see ... and hope ... and visit other places more worthy of my time and money.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I see it as the normal way Disney does business. They let the senior designers experiment with concepts and ideas at DL and build them into working attractions. Once they're sure they have the attraction right, then they know its ready for prime time and they bring it to WDW. I think it's great that DL serves as a laboratory to test and perfect attractions before they are brought to big leagues. It's smart business.

HAH!!! ... I see what you're doing. Yeah, trying to stir the old pot of DL vs. WDW. Good luck. ... I know where I'll be in three weeks. And there won't be any swamp nearby.

Clever Name

HAH!!! ... I see what you're doing. Yeah, trying to stir the old pot of DL vs. WDW. Good luck. ... I know where I'll be in three weeks. And there won't be any swamp nearby.
I'm sorry but I can't help it if WDW has more than twice the visitation of DL and DCA and it makes a lot more money too. How much more? Maybe you can answer that question. The cash cow is number one. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

HMF

I'm sorry but I can't help it if WDW has more than twice the visitation of DL and DCA and it makes a lot more money too. How much more? Maybe you can answer that question. The cash cow is number one. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."- Mark Twain

ParentsOf4

I thought this thread originally was about how DLR is "better" than WDW in terms of quality and innovation. I don't see how money enters into the argument (i.e. whoever makes more money is "better"). Quantity does not equal quality. Besides, an argument could be made that WDW is more profitable (if this is indeed the case) exactly because it's skimping on innovation and quality. Effectively, WDW is a watered down version of DLR or, if you will, WDW is a Kmart'ed version of DLR

WDW1974

Original Poster
I thought this thread originally was about how DLR is "better" than WDW in terms of quality and innovation. I don't see how money enters into the argument (i.e. whoever makes more money is "better"). Quantity does not equal quality. Besides, an argument could be made that WDW is more profitable (if this is indeed the case) exactly because it's skimping on innovation and quality. Effectively, WDW is a watered down version of DLR or, if you will, WDW is a Kmart'ed version of DLR

Um ... we use Walmarted in these parts. (and I actually set foot in a K-Mart in Miami last month and it was nicer than I expected!)

But the post you are referring to gets you down a bigger is better ... more money equals quality argument that is flawed and faulty.

By that definition, Walmart really would be the best retailer on the planet ... and SW the best airline ... and McD's the best food and Starbucks the best coffee etc.

Folks are welcome to argue that. I'll go grab some food instead!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Um ... we use Walmarted in these parts. (and I actually set foot in a K-Mart in Miami last month and it was nicer than I expected!)

But the post you are referring to gets you down a bigger is better ... more money equals quality argument that is flawed and faulty.

By that definition, Walmart really would be the best retailer on the planet ... and SW the best airline ... and McD's the best food and Starbucks the best coffee etc.

Folks are welcome to argue that. I'll go grab some food instead!

You will probably go eat a Big Mac, then have a chocolate cookie crumble frappacino for dessert.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You will probably go eat a Big Mac, then have a chocolate cookie crumble frappacino for dessert.

Sounds great. But I've only dropped seven pounds in the past few weeks and really need to fit into my tux for some small insignificant TV awards show I'll be attending in a month. ... I hear Bob Iger might show too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom