Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

Festivus

You guys know that Barack Obama is actually a charecter in the Marvel Universe now? How will this affect Hall of Presidents???

011509_spiderman_obama.jpg

Yes, there will be a ride where Obama bails out Universal!

Disneyfan1981

Do you remember muppet babies? What d'you want superhero babies? Baby Hulk wondering around a nursery with Baby Spidey and Pre-Med Doom (he couldn't be a Doctor yet).

What do you mean want? They already exist:

marvelsuperherosquad.jpg

shs_poster.jpg

Its a perfect fit for Disney wanting to market to the youngsters as well as the teens, they have their own cartoon in the works with some pretty big named voices as well.

DisneyMusician2

I thought Disney got to the top by being creative, innovative, valuing quality and pioneering new technology. :shrug:

And they stay there by marketing the crap out of stuff.

Walt did it all the time, and they continue to do it today.

Should they be doing more innovating? Yes, absolutely.

But hopefully we are in a turnaround period.

And to be fair, many of the ride concepts and movie concepts aren't "original", as they are stolen from previously written stories. If the company can make some money and fans by reinventing and marketing characters, so much the better for the parks division.

WDWmazprty

What do you mean want? They already exist:

marvelsuperherosquad.jpg

shs_poster.jpg

Its a perfect fit for Disney wanting to market to the youngsters as well as the teens, they have their own cartoon in the works with some pretty big named voices as well.

I agree. Some people may not like this idea, but this is a smart marketing idea to cater to the younger crowds.

_Scar

Iger mentioned "short term contracts".. how long is short term, who knows? But they eventually run out... Does Disney make is impossible for Universal to renew??? Are there loopholes that can get Disney/Marvel out of the contract?? No one here knows for sure, so all people can do is speculate... I am sure Disney did their homework on this... They know the story... They know the legality of things...

When was this all announced? Dragon press conference..? (dragon looks amazing btw!) Maybe Disney found a loophole and MSI will be no more. Imagine that! Disney would be taking out IoA's shining star (well, almost second shiniest). Doubt it, but it could happen.

I'll now add my idea to the table. Make F! stage at DHS a Marvel nightime spectacular and move F! to DAK. (dragon, Pocahontas, Lion King) it could work!

Captain Chaos

They are much more extreme. But you make a great point. Can you imagine what would be said if Uni aquired Pixar. Just look at the reaction when Uni got potter. It all comes around sooner or later.

Disney + Marvel = :xmas:

Extreme??? They want to deny the employees there don;t mock guests who wear Disney tee-shirts.... So, now what are they going to do when a person wears a Marvel comics character tee-shirt to IOA???? Mock the guest cause they are wearing a now Disney-owned Marvel character, who may have a presence in their park??? The employees' heads are going to be spinning... :ROFLOL:

jt04

Extreme??? They want to deny the employees there don;t mock guests who wear Disney tee-shirts.... So, now what are they going to do when a person wears a Marvel comics character tee-shirt to IOA???? Mock the guest cause they are wearing a now Disney-owned Marvel character, who may have a presence in their park??? The employees' heads are going to be spinning... :ROFLOL:

Exactly. This is so full of irony. I can't believe it!

WDWmazprty

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Uni employee who sees guest w/Marvel tee: "What do we do?"

Manager:"Ummm.....don't ask me! You're fired!"

Festivus

When was this all announced? Dragon press conference..? (dragon looks amazing btw!) Maybe Disney found a loophole and MSI will be no more. Imagine that! Disney would be taking out IoA's shining star (well, almost second shiniest). Doubt it, but it could happen.

I'll now add my idea to the table. Make F! stage at DHS a Marvel nightime spectacular and move F! to DAK. (dragon, Pocahontas, Lion King) it could work!

I like your idea!

_Scar

Yes now no Spidey for IoA or UO whichever it's in! HAHAHHAHAHHAHA!:goodnevil:lookaroun:ROFLOL:

It's pretty obvious MSI is staying, and it was only something brought up because that would be very good for Disney. And you should know what park MSI is in.... it has the best dark ride in the world (arguably the best ride, too!)!!

SirGoofy

And to add some more info, I was just told that Universal owns the theme park rights to the Marvel characters in perpetuity in FLA ... but NOT in California. Meaning you'd see a third theme park (I'll bet you anything it isn't but ...) in Anaheim with the characters or an attraction at DCA but NOT anything at WDW.

I'd be fine with that. I'm looking to make the move west in a couple years anyway.

jonnyc

Bitter are ya??? How would you feel if Universal purchased Marvel instead of Disney??? You know, Universal fanboys are just as sad as hard core Disney fanboys....

I think it is more the monopolisation this could potentially give Disney. I'd rather see Disney going after properties not already part of the Orlando theme park network, and instead bringing new things to give us an incredible WDW as well as an incredible Universal resort, so that Florida as a whole had THE best theme parks in the world. Although I do realise it is all about buisness at the end of the day, but it is in our best interest as customers for their to be competition so both parks have to keep improving. Not that I do think this will bring anywhere near the demise of Universal.[/FONT]

Captain Chaos

When was what announced??? It has been posted in here about iger mentioning short term contracts... Again, everyone in here is only speculating... Only Disney, Marvel, and Universal know the exact details in the contracts.. A wait and see approach needs to be taken before we can say MSHI is going anywhere.... There could be possible loopholes that can allow Disney to get out of the contract.... I don't know for a fact and neither do others on here...

As for Fantasmic, I love you idea!!!! A nighttime show for Marvel characters would be awesome!!!!

DisneyMusician2

I'm constantly curious about this contract.

Marvel is at the mercy of Universal and they can have the rides for as long as they want them?

I would be curious if there are clauses in the contract that Disney will be exploiting to increase their revenues. It could certainly be that Disney can make more money with the rides open then closed.

WDW1974

Just more from Bob 'The Sheriff' on CNBC alluding to theme park character rights ... from Beth Kassab's blog in the O-Sentinel.

Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger appeared on CNBC earlier today and addressed the theme park question and -- so far as I've seen -- it's the only comment from him that deals directly with the possibility of Marvel characters at Disney theme parks. He didn't name the Universal agreement, but alluded to it by saying that the characters wouldn't be used in all Disney parks because of existing agreements that must be honored. It would seem he's talking about Orlando here:

"Marvel characters have already proven to be strong in terms of theme park attraction and we believe there are a lot of opportunities around the world, not in every one of our parks because there are some existing agreements that we obviously have to honor, but in a number of places for us to use the Marvel characters to basically help us grow our theme park business and better entertain people," Iger said.

disneysroyal411

It's pretty obvious MSI is staying, and it was only something brought up because that would be very good for Disney. And you should know what park MSI is in.... it has the best dark ride in the world (arguably the best ride, too!)!!

Never rode it, sadly, and I've only been to Universal Studious in Hollywood.

Biff215

I think it is more the monopolisation this could potentially give Disney. I'd rather see Disney going after properties not already part of the Orlando theme park network, and instead bringing new things to give us an incredible WDW as well as an incredible Universal resort, so that Florida as a whole had THE best theme parks in the world. Although I do realise it is all about buisness at the end of the day, but it is in our best interest as customers for their to be competition so both parks have to keep improving. Not that I do think this will bring anywhere near the demise of Universal.[/FONT]

I doubt this has much to do with the theme parks at all. There are still many movie possibilities using the Marvel characters. This is all about the movie studio IMHO.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
They have and now you can add purchasing great properties to the list.

The mouse is smart. :king:

If the mouse were to stop suddenly how far up its would your body go? :dazzle:

I know this is normal for you JY but your take on this potential purchase seems to be more eratic than usual. Now I accept that may be because there’s no clear picture yet of what’s involved, but I suspect its more to do with your need for Disney to have something positive for you to cling on to.

If the mouse is so smart why has its own stuff been underperforming and its recent offerings been average at best? Im sure the numbers quoted on an attachment on this thread show its not all rosy. Now unlike you I’m not a board member so Im just guessing but the reason Disney have been able to do this is cash reserves, cash reserves I assume partly generated from under resourcing WDW.
Now long term as a paying customer of the WDW I may see some return from money I have paid for ever declining offerings, but as someone who has no interest in Marvel or that type of character I wont hold my breath. I enjoy the attractions at UO could care less about the signage or character tie ins.
Assuming of course some posters are wrong and this just isn’t about t-shirt rights and movie distribution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom