News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

JohnD

I really love Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland since it's mostly AA and the ride design and atmosphere is so beautiful. The only time we see a screen used is during the Tigger scene but it's not that long and I actually like the use for it.

Thematically, it's the same as the WDW attraction but I like this one a whole lot better. It's better conceived with a much better ride system. One correction, there is a screen at the beginning with Pooh talking to Christopher Robin.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Even if they were going to create a very long attraction, it could be done with plenty of room to spare for another attraction or two.

I'd suspect that a moderately large/large area of the remaining space may be devoted to a new Mickey Meet-N-Greet area... you know, ride the ride all about Mickey, then stand in line to get your picture taken with him... it could be neat to include a small walk through talking about the development/evolution of Mickey over the years. I could imagine something like the Disney Animation Building at California Adventure (not in exterior appearance or interior content) but where you enter into a general "lobby" (possibly just like the Disney Animation Building at California Adventure where they have multiple screens around you, but in this case all showing various Mickey cartoons and stills) and off of this lobby would be entrances to the main ride, the meet-n-greet, and possibly the previously described (by me) Mickey "museum". Could be cool if the meet-n-greet allowed you to meet various different "Mickey's" like classic, Sorcerer, and Steamboat... though that may violate their policy of not having Micky appear multiple places in the same park at the same time. There is certainly the possibility of a really nicely done ride/exhibit/meet-n-greet if the option is on the table...

doctornick

Well well.

This saga may run and run. There may be a chapter two.

Time will tell.

I really hope there is a "chapter two". It would actually be understandable if they don't want to close IJ stunt show or Launch Bay until the new lands open, but closing either or both to put in additional attractions into those spaces should be part of the intermediate term plans.

rael ramone

How long before someone realizes a redo of Spaceship Earth fits the MO of modern-day Disney?

If Tower of Terror isn't off limits, then I doubt any other E-ticket is. Not to mention, a redo of GMR pretty much would spell the end of lengthy, slow-moving AA-heavy dark rides outside of MK. SSE has no IP tie-in, and it's an icon a la the Chinese Theater meaning it draws extra attention. They never even finished the descent during the last upgrade.

One saving grace might be the operational headache that construction would cause -- maybe it would simply be too much trouble to do anything large scale to SSE.

I don't know when the Siemens contract ends, but wouldn't surprise me if it drastically changed within the next 10 years.

I'm wondering if another element could be rearing it's head:

Deliberate. Capacity. Reduction.

Specifically, looking to get rid of all the 'long rides'.

The 22 minutes you spend on a ride is 22 minutes you aren't spending buying plush.

Perhaps the future of SSE is:

1. get the cars moving as fast as the infrastructure will allow
2. replace everything with screens (showing whatever new IP grows the ego of the Dastardly Duo).
3. have the ride exit into a gift shop.

No Name

Hiya pals, it's a Mickey ride! I've been busy so I haven't given my thoughts since knowing that.

Well, in the 3rd IP thread, I was talking about how The GMR is an umbrella attraction. Ironically, there are multiple scenes with umbrellas, but that is not what I mean. I mean that the ride encompases the idea that Hollywood Studios is only moving closer toward: feeling like you're in the movies.

But a Mickey ride is, in my opinion, one of the best replacement options they could've chosen. Mickey certainly deserves a ride and does have business being the "main attraction" at the center of this park. He is Walt's most famous creation. I don't believe this ride will carry as much of the umbrella aspect that GMR carries, but it could come close. I'm happy with the choice for the replacement.

I'm not happy with the fact that it is a replacement, and especially a replacement of a ride like The GMR. For reasons I won't waste my time repeating.

I hope that the Mickey ride is indeed excellent and that it does not recieve a plethora of cuts along the way. I also hope that it doesn't somehow become a GotG ride instead, because that is truly what I fear will happen.

And finally, as I said before, I wouldn't mind if this whole GMR replacement idea falls through.

Last edited:

JohnD

I'm wondering if another element could be rearing it's head:

Deliberate. Capacity. Reduction.

Specifically, looking to get rid of all the 'long rides'.

The 22 minutes you spend on a ride is 22 minutes you aren't spending buying plush.

Perhaps the future of SSE is:

1. get the cars moving as fast as the infrastructure will allow
2. replace everything with screens (showing whatever new IP grows the ego of the Dastardly Duo).
3. have the ride exit into a gift shop.

Yeah. Part of what slows down GMR is that the ride stops several times: The gangster scene (most of the time) forcing the host to flee and the gangster (or whoever) to "take over" the vehicle. The Wizard of Oz scene for the Witch to threaten you. The temple scene for the gangster (or whoever) to try and steal the idol and die and the host to return to the vehicle. If the ride were continuous without those stops it would already be shorter. It's also dependent on CMs to play those roles and act out their shtick.

Last edited:

JohnD

Worth it!!

Didn't say it wasn't. Just pointing out the ride is longer because of these scenes when the vehicle is stopped. Let's face it: Energy is 45 minutes because, with the exception of the dinosaurs, the vehicles are stopped watching Jeopardy. So comparing ride times with this attraction with a shorter ride time on Mickey is apples and oranges.

Tony the Tigger

Didn't say it wasn't. Just pointing out the ride is longer because of these scenes when the vehicle is stopped. Let's face it: Energy is 45 minutes because, with the exception of the dinosaurs, the vehicles are stopped watching Jeopardy. So comparing ride times with this attraction with a shorter ride time on Mickey is apples and oranges.

Agreed!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom