News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
I've heard from a very reliable source inside Turner that The Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal (Only a 3 year contract was signed) is not up for renewal. This was not a TCM Decision, it was Disney's. Evidently they have plans for a new attraction to take the location. The current ride will be shut down shortly after the deal ends and planning for a replacement attraction has already begun. Can anyone else speak about what this replacement attraction will be? PM me if you can't talk much about it. Personally I find it sad that Great Movie Ride is closing, but I can kind of understand why, the more I think about it.

asianway

I've heard from a very reliable source inside Turner that The Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal (Only a 3 year contract was signed) is not up for renewal. This was not a TCM Decision, it was Disney's. Evidently they have plans for a new attraction to take the location. The current ride will be shut down shortly after the deal ends and planning for a replacement attraction has already begun. Can anyone else speak about what this replacement attraction will be? PM me if you can't talk much about it. Personally I find it sad that Great Movie Ride is closing, but I can kind of understand why, the more I think about it.
Same as the GOTG TOT, I cant see them losing that much capacity right now. Maybe after Star Wars...

prberk

All those years waiting for them to remove the BAH so that we could get a clear shot again of the Chinese Theatre, just in time for them to put up Star Wars stuff anyway to block the view, as they did this summer with the silly Star Wars stage show. I am afraid that we should not be surprised. (It also comes after they made the announcement to completely re-theme ToT in DCA to be a mishmash of Guardians of the Galaxy in what is supposed to be a Hollywoodland area of their California park.)

Either they are re-theming the whole park (or most of it) away from old Hollywood, or they are probably going to break theme right there in the center. Who knows? But it does not give me confidence.

Biff215

I think the contract is up in 2018. The same time Toy Story is rumored to open I believe.
Thought we had a little time. Even if Disney is declining to renew the contract now, I think it's a little premature to assume it's closing. There have been rumors about a replacement for years now, and plans most likely exist. I just can't see them making another significant investment until everything that has been announced is done. Seems we have at least 3-4 years for that to happen.

Biff215

I want to make it clear. Disney told TCM that the attraction is closing and being replaced. Nothing is being assumed here.
Gotcha. I'm not questioning what you heard so much as the nightmare that closing one more thing at DHS would cause. Doesn't seem logical to me, but then again Phil is now running the show there. Will be interesting, thanks for sharing the info.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Gotcha. I'm not questioning what you heard so much as the nightmare that closing one more thing at DHS would cause. Doesn't seem logical to me, but then again Phil is now running the show there. Will be interesting, thanks for sharing the info.
No worries. The only logic I can think of actually has to do with with WDW1974 said. If George K. actually prevented ToT from closing in Florida because of capacity concerns, maybe he knew that this attraction was closing too and that really is what convinced Bob.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom