News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Cesar R M

I really love Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland since it's mostly AA and the ride design and atmosphere is so beautiful. The only time we see a screen used is during the Tigger scene but it's not that long and I actually like the use for it.

holy crap, the magic kingdom's version is total POS compared to that ((o_O)). Amazing sync. I was surprised how the "honey" cars change places as the ride goes... and in some scenes characters in similar cars ride along with you. and everything moves!

Cesar R M

Don't worry guys it will be replaced with an interactive video screen based ride that is half the length and tied to a hot IP!!
puffed.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

Your wording sort of implies PoTC is similar to Mystic Manor in screen density, I don't think that's what you meant though. Mystic Manor is like 90/10, PoTC is more 50/50. I think your threshold may be zero percent... which is fine... but in no way would I classify Mystic Manor as a screen-centric ride. There is one for a transitional scene that some vehicles skip and a projection mapped room whose central focus is a giant AA. It is used extremely sparingly and in two drastically different forms.
My threshold for screens are to use them in a subdued supplemental role. Moderate amount scattered around as environment detail, background art, or methods to handle scene transitions are fine. I dislike them being used as a replacement for sets and characters.

Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, Horizons and Imagination used video well. Smaller supplemental details within existing physical scenes or transitions in between scenes. Horizons used video to animate objects that would have video in real life (TV's), yet the attention was still on the animatronics and sets. SSE used video sometimes in a less realistic manner but still subtle and charming (the animated chariot in SSE 94's Rome scene and the animated cave painting). They are subtle and non-intrusive (and gave the otherwise flat backgrounds a little bit of life and "magic"). I can also appreciate video used in transitions between scenes where a physical set would not fit.

I have been generally pleased so far with some of the new digital mapping in certain rides (Disneyland's Snow White, Alice, Peter Pan and Big Thunder are quite nice). I am kind of mixed so far on facial projection. They can look good but require absolutely flawless lighting conditions and 3-dimensional facial surfaces. They don't work in all environments, Buzz and Constance are examples of this.

I'd rather have a physical effect over a projection. Splash Mountain uses almost no video elements beyond some shadow effects, and it's incredible seeing these cartoons with tons of real sets and AA's.

brb1006

I got wind of this about a week ago—my info was clearly later than Lee's or Martin's—and I've had conflicting thoughts. Five years ago, the GMR was an embarrassing relic of the late 80s, hidden behind a giant plastic toy. The ride's pacing, broken FX, awkward script, and even more awkward CMs overshadowed the impressive sets and AAs. Then TCM stepped in as the all-too-obvious sponsor and financed a complete overhaul. Last time I rode it, everything worked. The AAs were smooth; the FX were functioning; the new prerecorded voiceover mostly covered for the bad CM acting. I could see the potential for future updates, and the ride didn't seem so moldy anymore. Most importantly, the ride introduced guests to some of the best movies ever made.

The Mickey attraction will be incredible. @marni1971 can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I'm told, the cuts haven't been substantial; this thing will almost be Blue Sky. It will be a worthy E-ticket, although a bit too short.

As a kid, the GMR was pure magic. As an adult, I don't consider it an irreplaceable classic. The attraction was really good, but not on the level of POTC, HM, or Horizons. I just hope that Disney maintains the Golden Age of Hollywood in this park's transformation.
Blue Sky? Also I hope it's not as short as 7DMT

TalkingHead

Epcot needs two more E rides and a few C- and D-level attractions, which could be extensive new exhibits in Innoventions.

How long before someone realizes a redo of Spaceship Earth fits the MO of modern-day Disney?

If Tower of Terror isn't off limits, then I doubt any other E-ticket is. Not to mention, a redo of GMR pretty much would spell the end of lengthy, slow-moving AA-heavy dark rides outside of MK. SSE has no IP tie-in, and it's an icon a la the Chinese Theater meaning it draws extra attention. They never even finished the descent during the last upgrade.

One saving grace might be the operational headache that construction would cause -- maybe it would simply be too much trouble to do anything large scale to SSE.

I don't know when the Siemens contract ends, but wouldn't surprise me if it drastically changed within the next 10 years.

brb1006

Wrong park. There is a reason @marni1971 said Disneyland Resort.

Thanks, by the way, Marni! (And @MansionButler84 and @Lee)

Your wording sort of implies PoTC is similar to Mystic Manor in screen density, I don't think that's what you meant though. Mystic Manor is like 90/10, PoTC is more 50/50. I think your threshold may be zero percent... which is fine... but in no way would I classify Mystic Manor as a screen-centric ride. There is one for a transitional scene that some vehicles skip and a projection mapped room whose central focus is a giant AA. It is used extremely sparingly and in two drastically different forms.

I do think this ride needs some screens though. We as riders need to jump into the cartoon itself into the fully realized sets. It could make for a fun effect/transition.
I agree, the ride will need some screens but used right cleverly.

brb1006

holy crap, the magic kingdom's version is total POS compared to that ((o_O)). Amazing sync. I was surprised how the "honey" cars change places as the ride goes... and in some scenes characters in similar cars ride along with you. and everything moves!
Don't forget the scene where Pooh falls asleep and everything turns black which really amazed. The music gave me chills.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom