News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

bhg469

It is. Maybe I should explain.

Kong is trackless, as is Tower of Terror. And GMR. And Energy. They may be trackless, but follow a single predetermined path.

LPS is used in reference to a trackless ride with several ride paths for groups of vehicles which usually cross each other. They may also involve the vehicles starting, stopping, spinning, following each other or moving around each other. As in Poohs Honey Hunt, Mystic Manor, Ratatouille, Antartica, Alcatraz and now this.
And here is where I am usually anti trackers. If its used for multiple paths, that is the only thing I see as great.

Adding a random spin is something I feel brings no added appeal to an attraction. Omnimovers can still produce fantastic rides and the best ones are still from the 70s. Then you have things like arthur the ride which in the hands of Disney or universal, could be an attraction to raise the bar.

Trackless is a term I see thrown around as a positive way too much. Far too often it is just linear and offers nothing great.

Mawg

It's perfectly possible. And would be.
Is this ride going to stay flat or have a few levels and hills? At one point you said think Test Track, this make me believe it will be trackless but going up and down hills and maybe on multiple levels within the warehouse.
If it is just staying on the floor of this Giant Space I could see this being done rather quickly and a lot of it could be built off site and dropped into place, maybe even less than a year. If it's going to have elevation changes, then I see it taking quite a bit longer.
Also, during construction of StarWars, doesn't the GMR space have pretty good access for construction crews to get in there from the back of the park so that they do not have to wait until the park closes to move the big stuff in and out, like they had to with the 7dwarfs?

orky8

Commissary could be overhauled for all I care.. BUT I love my bison burger, fried pickles with horseradish sauce and margarita at Sci-Fi!!
Plus the whole dining experience at Sci-Fi is really cool and great for families.

I will say the cars themselves could use some TLC.

I think it would be nice if Sci-Fi replaced its kitchy sci fi reels with something more entertaining. Maybe Mickey Mouse shorts? Otherwise, I like the experience.

Mawg

And here is where I am usually anti trackers. If its used for multiple paths, that is the only thing I see as great.

Adding a random spin is something I feel brings no added appeal to an attraction. Omnimovers can still produce fantastic rides and the best ones are still from the 70s. Then you have things like arthur the ride which in the hands of Disney or universal, could be an attraction to raise the bar.

Trackless is a term I see thrown around as a positive way too much. Far too often it is just linear and offers nothing great.

Trackless is also very 2 dimensional. Having elevation changes with it seems difficult as you would have to add another mechanism to change elevation. If you didn't and there was a failure you would coast down whatever hill you are on and crash.
I would like to see a combination or a trackless system and track. A track to move you up and down and tilt you side to side but them be able to dump you onto a floor where the trackless takes over and spins you around with other carts making it seem that the show is more random.

orky8

Is this ride going to stay flat or have a few levels and hills? At one point you said think Test Track, this make me believe it will be trackless but going up and down hills and maybe on multiple levels within the warehouse.
If it is just staying on the floor of this Giant Space I could see this being done rather quickly and a lot of it could be built off site and dropped into place, maybe even less than a year. If it's going to have elevation changes, then I see it taking quite a bit longer.
Also, during construction of StarWars, doesn't the GMR space have pretty good access for construction crews to get in there from the back of the park so that they do not have to wait until the park closes to move the big stuff in and out, like they had to with the 7dwarfs?

LPS needs a flat surface. At least in its current iterations, and I don't see that changing. Besides, the GMR building is already perfectly flat to accommodate the existing ride system.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
LPS needs a flat surface

Not to sidetrack this thread but can you, or anyone elaborate as to why? Like why can it not go up or down ramps, or an esculator/elevator type device? Maybe I just don't understand how the ride system works?

Also, I can't check the site for a day and a half and boom whole place gets turned upside down lol. Was very sad at first to hear that GMR is going but the Mackey rides concept has softened the blow... optimistic to see what happens.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not to sidetrack this thread but can you, or anyone elaborate as to why? Like why can it not go up or down ramps, or an esculator/elevator type device?.
The ride system can - and will - use elevators for level change.

Without this it needs to be flat since a) the battery driven motors would struggle with inclines and b) there would be no safety mechanism on a slope to prevent rollback or over speed.

FerretAfros

More about the GMR and other.... connected topics. Time will tell.
Is the Mickey ride supposed to use the entire building? At roughly 62,000SF (not including queue space), the GMR show building is one of the biggest that Disney has ever created. It's an order of magnitude larger than Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor, and Ratatouille (about 31,000SF, 31,000SF, and 39,000SF respectively), which makes me think that it will only require a portion of the overall footprint. Even if they were going to create a very long attraction, it could be done with plenty of room to spare for another attraction or two.

It's also significantly larger than all 5 of DL's Fantasyland dark rides combined, so I can't imagine how a theoretical clone of an attraction that large would fit the scale of DLR

Additionally, it's one of Disney's tallest show buildings, to capture the lofty atmosphere of a soundstage. I can't imagine that appropriately-scaled sets for an LPS-type attraction, which are far more intimate than the massive GMR sets, would require most of the vertical space. Is there any chance that the building could be retrofit into 2 levels, for a Transformers-like use of space? They could even maintain a few oversized scenes, while stacking others for greater efficiency of space in this small park

EDIT: I see talk of elevators has popped up while I was writing this. Perhaps I'm on to something...

orky8

Not to sidetrack this thread but can you, or anyone elaborate as to why? Like why can it not go up or down ramps, or an esculator/elevator type device?

Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear. As Martin said, it can use elevators (and Tower, which is a similar concept, has been using them for a long time). The ride vehicle itself can't go up inclines, though, so another mechanism must be used for elevation changes.

Tony the Tigger

When Star Wars land opens, we don't need the launch bay anymore. Put a revised great movie ride in there. (Thanks for the upgrade, TCM, and bye! It's a different ride now!)

It could even be a walk-through and you would get to see the scenes more "up-close" than you could in the ride.

I'm wondering if they would not be able to do a new wizard of Oz display – aren't their rights to Oz limited?

stretchsje

Is the Mickey ride supposed to use the entire building? At roughly 62,000SF (not including queue space), the GMR show building is one of the biggest that Disney has ever created. It's an order of magnitude larger than Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor, and Ratatouille (about 31,000SF, 31,000SF, and 39,000SF respectively), which makes me think that it will only require a portion of the overall footprint. Even if they were going to create a very long attraction, it could be done with plenty of room to spare for another attraction or two.

It's also significantly larger than all 5 of DL's Fantasyland dark rides combined, so I can't imagine how a theoretical clone of an attraction that large would fit the scale of DLR
Interesting numbers. Mystic Manor has about a 5 minutes 45 seconds ride time while the Mickey ride is rumored to be around 11 minutes (though with @marni1971 being skeptical of that target). So, this ride time actually scales somewhat linearly with square footage compared to MM. Ratatouille, with the largest footprint of your examples, clocks in at shorter time of 4 minutes, 30 seconds.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
The ride system can - and will - use elevators for level change.

Without this it needs to be flat since a) the battery driven motors would struggle with inclines and b) there would be no safety mechanism on a slope to prevent rollback or over speed.

Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear. As Martin said, it can use elevators (and Tower, which is a similar concept, has been using them for a long time). The ride vehicle itself can't go up inclines, though, so another mechanism must be used for elevation changes.

Thanks for the info!

Mike S

It's when a dark ride goes full tilt into screens, like Escape from Gringotts or the beginning of Ratatouille, that it becomes boring; when you come to a full stop stationed before a screen, with nothing else, and the ride expects you to believe you're moving as fast as the action in the film in front of you, when usually you can see the roof or floor of the theatre quite plainly. Spider Man and Transformers manage to pull this off --ie screen portions with no sets-- and I think it's because you're still in motion so you have no time to become wary of the illusion. In Forbidden Journey (and I think Pirates of Shanghai, but I haven't been on it yet) they just hide the seams better.

It's tedious when projections are obviously a cheap alternative (to animatronics, as in some parts of the new Pirates; to dynamic lighting, as in the overused projection mapping effect seen everywhere). Like CGI it can be overused, but also like CGI, the technology is a natural progression for telling stories nowadays. My favorite part of the new Pirates ride is when the Kraken floats past the window behind Davy Jones, a subtle effect revealing how screens could be used as backdrops, complementing the scene but not telling it; not interactive.
Being able to see the edge of the screen has always been a pet peeve of mine. Other than that I would say Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey, Transformers, and now Reign of Kong use screens better than Gringotts because of content. Instead of bad guys monolouging (insert Incredibles joke here) we have lots of action going on at many points that really pull you in. Gringotts is still a fun ride and I'm still blown away by the sets they built along with all of Diagon Alley but the more I've ridden it and thought about it the more it seems they missed the mark a bit.

Adding a random spin is something I feel brings no added appeal to an attraction. Omnimovers can still produce fantastic rides and the best ones are still from the 60s. Then you have things like arthur the ride which in the hands of Disney or universal, could be an attraction to raise the bar.

Fixed, and speaking of Omnimovers... You might be interested in the latest rumors over in the Nintendo thread ;)

sedati

I loved the Great Movie Ride, but this sounds intriguing as well.
I am sad that this means the long rumored C.A.V.E. ride for this location that was to involve heroes and villains leaping from movie posters and interacting won't ever happen. I really wanted to see Indiana Jones go toe to toe with Darth Vader.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom