Disney discontinuing resort specific merchandise.

SirGoofy

Just, and I mean just, as I thought they were turning a corner in the merchandise department, this happens.

Looks like we can look forward to more Hannah Montana, Jonas Bros., and Disney 09 shirts! Just what everyone wants!

Seriously, we need a "shakes head disappointingly" smilie.

EPCOT Explorer

Just, and I mean just, as I thought they were turning a corner in the merchandise department, this happens.

Looks like we can look forward to more Hannah Montana, Jonas Bros., and Disney 09 shirts! Just what everyone wants!

Seriously, we need a "shakes head disappointingly" smilie.

It's funny...Merch in the parks now, is pretty good. A TON less HSM stuff and the like compared to past years.

A shame.

SirGoofy

It's funny...Merch in the parks now, is pretty good. A TON less HSM stuff and the like compared to past years.

Agreed. That's what's so frustrating about TDO. They start to make progress on something, and you think just maybe they've changed, and then they take two steps backwards on the same issue.

EPCOT Explorer

Agreed. That's what's so frustrating about TDO. They start to make progress on something, and you think just maybe they've changed, and then they take two steps backwards on the same issue.

I'm hoping the same CAN'T be said for park upkeep, as I was quite impressed for the most part.:lookaroun

WDW Vacationer

Sir Goofy...think!

Why would TDO continue making things better. Once the improvement meter is filled up....they have to do something to ruin the pattern.:rolleyes:

WDW1974

ok so when I bought over $100 worth of stuff there last september on my own it was just a dream right? don't call me a liar just because you weren't smart enough to do it by yourself.

Hey, calm down. No one's calling you a liar.

But I know what policy is. If you decided to walk in without a CM and no one raised a fuss, then great for you.

But I know the location is supposed to be for CMs only (and their guests).
Disney does not want guests shopping backstage.

HMF

So a Multi-billion dollar company's fault for your obsession :shrug: If they are to blame wouldn't every man, woman and child have the same obsession

"If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But... if it's real, you'll feel it." - Kid Rock
No that is not what I am saying what I said was Disney markets itself as if it were exclusively for kids and for Disney Obsessives like us it makes average people think we are people who don't want to "Grow up" and Disney marketing is responsible for creating the ''Kids only" image You would be surprised how many people in the company think of the parks as giant Disney Stores.

yankspy

After reading this thread I came to the realization that I am an elitist when it comes merchandise. Resort or even attraction specific merchandise tells everyone "yeah, I have been to the World". A generic Mickey t-shirt says "yeah I have been to Target recently".

Aside from that it also sparks interest in some people. If someone sees a Boardwalk t-shirt they might ask, "hey I was thinking about staying there" or "where is that place". A Tinkerbell t-shirt will get a "that's cute".

As far as pins, I have no problem with them, I just do not like them everywhere. I would much rather see Frontierland merchandise in Frontierland. Heck, that is what the Emporium and Mousegear are there for.

I have no idea if this rumor is true or not or if this is a good or bad idea in terms of sales, etc. I am just throwing in my two pennies.

marsrunner

That's disappointing if they are really getting rid of resort specific merchandise. Although my last visit at the Contemporary in January (my fav resort) there was precious little Contemporary specific stuff, and what there was wasn't very good.

I love collecting pins, but typically only attraction/resort ones. Not big on the character ones. I'm not crazy about seeing pin stands everywhere though. I tend to buy most of mine at the resort, but I'd think a giant collection in the Emporium would be enough. However, I don't mind seeing right next to the cash register in an attraction's gift shop a sampling of pins specific to that attraction. I'm talking 10 or so different pins, not a whole pin stand.

GrimGhost

That's not accurate. I was there last month and while CMs can bring guests (I am not a CM!) that's always been the case.

A guest can't just go there and shop on their own.

Also, FWIW, if any guests have cast friends and want to buy loads of Disney crap at big discounts to stock up for the holidays (can't believe it's already August!) the fall SALSA sale is coming up the last week of September at the new Jostens fieldhouse at WWoS.

As to the OP, while this is the exact sort of stupid, dumb, ignorant move I'd expect of TDO, I think we need some confirmation before we jump to conclusions.

Sure, they sell a helluva lot more Grumpy generic tees and Tink pins than WL polos or BC towels or Coronado tees. But people want those items and they aren't gonna swap out generic crap for it. They'll either make a sale on resort specific stuff or lose out entirely.

I need to ask around.

74, that would be great if you could confirm or more hopefully "dispel" this rumor.

Figment1986

Hey, calm down. No one's calling you a liar.

But I know what policy is. If you decided to walk in without a CM and no one raised a fuss, then great for you.

But I know the location is supposed to be for CMs only (and their guests).
Disney does not want guests shopping backstage.

same policy when I went with my International Program friend... he had to show his ID to let me in a few years ago... the same was true for the tent sale that same year...

WDWLOVER1957

Didn't they sort of do the same thing with the Disney stores?
The merchandise in those stores was suddenly all princess stuff and things for little kiddies. There was nothing for adults.

:)

Same in the UK went to local store today, always buy something for the wife, today no adult stuff at all so spent nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom