Disney discontinuing resort specific merchandise.

EpcoTim

He had a budget of 500 and spent none of it. It used to be easy to drop that amount there when they had cool things, unique things. Now it's just a really expensive dollar store. Who wants any of that crap?

Rob562

Something new I saw in the hotel gift shops last week were resort-specific *postcards*... After finding one in Sports' shop where I was staying, I started looking in all the others I went to.

Found them at Sports, Polynesian, Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach. (Y&B each had their own) They're printed on thinner card stock than most of the other postcards, but they're still relatively sturdy. And they have the resort logo in the corner on the back. They were 80-cents each including tax.

They must be really new because they caught one or two of the cashiers by surprise, they hadn't seen them yet. Got to talking with the cashier at the Boardwalk, and we agreed that they should do one of those panorama postcards of the entire Boardwalk.

The only one I didn't really like was Sports. They chose to use a view of the Tennis section. I think the surfing, football or baseball sections would have made for a nicer card.

It's nice to see that someone in the merchandise department is realizing that people might want more options in the postcards they send home. I know that I've about run out of the available generic postcards, and I now risk sending duplicates to friends. (I have a few friends and family that I send cards to every trip)

Of course, I remember back to my first couple of stays at Riverside around 2000, when they included a couple of Riverside postcards with my checkin packet for free.

-Rob

WDW1974

He had a budget of 500 and spent none of it. It used to be easy to drop that amount there when they had cool things, unique things. Now it's just a really expensive dollar store. Who wants any of that crap?

There were times when I could spend multiples of that (and did) on merchandise. But that was long ago. Even at DLP and DL, I didn't spend all that much ... although they have some better stuff, you have to search for it.

That said, I also visited three Disney outlets in SoCal (two temp stores and the permanent AMS location right up Harbor Blvd from DLR) and it was telling that they had merchandise from both DL AND WDW that dated back as far as 2005. You wanted an EPCOT 2006 sweatshirt, they had it. How about a WDW Christmas 2007 tee? Yep. And they did have some resort specific stuff ... I recall Saratoga Springs, Port Orleans and Pop Century, although it's possible there were other items.

I still haven't heard anything about WDW eliminating the resort specific stuff, though. But considering Disney is planning on having one generic Mickey logo for business cards and such for all divisions, I could see them being ignorant enough to believe people want generic Disney Parks or WDW/DL logo merchandise.

I think my outlet 'adventure' proved what I already knew ... Disney makes waaaaay too much product and can't get rid of it thru its own outlets and its cast outlets.

WDW1974

Something new I saw in the hotel gift shops last week were resort-specific *postcards*... After finding one in Sports' shop where I was staying, I started looking in all the others I went to.

Found them at Sports, Polynesian, Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach. (Y&B each had their own) They're printed on thinner card stock than most of the other postcards, but they're still relatively sturdy. And they have the resort logo in the corner on the back. They were 80-cents each including tax.

They must be really new because they caught one or two of the cashiers by surprise, they hadn't seen them yet. Got to talking with the cashier at the Boardwalk, and we agreed that they should do one of those panorama postcards of the entire Boardwalk.

The only one I didn't really like was Sports. They chose to use a view of the Tennis section. I think the surfing, football or baseball sections would have made for a nicer card.

It's nice to see that someone in the merchandise department is realizing that people might want more options in the postcards they send home. I know that I've about run out of the available generic postcards, and I now risk sending duplicates to friends. (I have a few friends and family that I send cards to every trip)

Of course, I remember back to my first couple of stays at Riverside around 2000, when they included a couple of Riverside postcards with my checkin packet for free.

-Rob

I love postcards, so that is good news.

Of course, it should also be a no-brainer. It's a nice and inexpensive item.

And I thought all Disney resorts (except values) still gave out a few postcards in the rooms?

jakeman

I love postcards, so that is good news.

Of course, it should also be a no-brainer. It's a nice and inexpensive item.

And I thought all Disney resorts (except values) still gave out a few postcards in the rooms?
They still did at AK Lodge in June.

jmuboy

I wish we had someone who could give us more info on whether this is true or not. I do have to agree that I wish WDW/DL didn't always cater to the lowest common denominator when it came to selling merchandise. Except for Disneyana and the Disney Gallery at DL and the Art of Disney Stores at WDW I don't spend money at WDW or DL stores anymore - as a general store. Onde only needs so many night light swords or tacky t-shirts. But I ramble, because Jay Rasulo and Meg Crofton don't care about what I think.

WDW1974

I wish we had someone who could give us more info on whether this is true or not. I do have to agree that I wish WDW/DL didn't always cater to the lowest common denominator when it came to selling merchandise. Except for Disneyana and the Disney Gallery at DL and the Art of Disney Stores at WDW I don't spend money at WDW or DL stores anymore - as a general store. Onde only needs so many night light swords or tacky t-shirts. But I ramble, because Jay Rasulo and Meg Crofton don't care about what I think.

I don't know folks in merchandise well ... I've asked a few other folks and they haven't heard about it. But it's not their business unit.

I would hope this isn't the case.

I know in Anaheim, the Grand Californian is still selling many specific items to the hotel.

I was in the DLH as well, but I don't recall seeing anything ... but wasn't really looking.

reptar77

Just back from the world.....

Resort merchandise has seemed to grow a little. There was very little DVC merchandise but there was alot of deluxe resort specific merchandise. Except for Poly or CR, they had none.

spaceghost

Caribbean Beach had a few resort specific shirts/sweatshirts when I was there last week. They were a little to froo-frooish for me to get for myself though. Still had the coconuts too!

Mystic

Polynesian still had quite a bit of Resort specific merchandise available for purchase. Picked up nice shirt and a notepad. But they had mugs, glasses, shirts, thows, etc.

xtina72

I have bought very little in terms merchandise from Disney in the past few years because nothing has appealed to me, everything is so generic, when I look at the merchandise I feel like I'm in one of those big discount merchandise shops in I4,

What really sucks tho is that EVERY year I buy a dated ornament specific to the resort we are staying in...the one thing I do buy, they will be getting rid of.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I have bought very little in terms merchandise from Disney in the past few years because nothing has appealed to me, everything is so generic, when I look at the merchandise I feel like I'm in one of those big discount merchandise shops in I4,

What really sucks tho is that EVERY year I buy a dated ornament specific to the resort we are staying in...the one thing I do buy, they will be getting rid of.

When we stayed at WL over Thanksgiving I didn't see any resort-themed ornaments for sale. I was able to pick up a resort mug to add to my collection, but the trend towards the generic was in full effect.....

Computer Magic

When we stayed at WL over Thanksgiving I didn't see any resort-themed ornaments for sale. I was able to pick up a resort mug to add to my collection, but the trend towards the generic was in full effect.....
That is sad. In 2006, WL has the biggest resort-themed merchandise around.

EPCOT Explorer

Just back from the world.....

Resort merchandise has seemed to grow a little. There was very little DVC merchandise but there was alot of deluxe resort specific merchandise. Except for Poly or CR, they had none.

Saw a TON of Poly stuff in Aug...:( It still better be there...I saved for some.:lookaroun:lol:

topcat47

Well wish I saw this post sooner. My wife and me did a mini trip before a Disney Cruise in September. We have a tradition of getting a Magnet for the Resort we stay at each time. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and they didn't have any. Worker there said they ran out a couple weeks before and could not understand why they had not been restocked even though she new they ordered some. Guess I won't be getting a Fort Wilderness on this Sept.

EPCOT Explorer

Well wish I saw this post sooner. My wife and me did a mini trip before a Disney Cruise in September. We have a tradition of getting a Magnet for the Resort we stay at each time. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and they didn't have any. Worker there said they ran out a couple weeks before and could not understand why they had not been restocked even though she new they ordered some. Guess I won't be getting a Fort Wilderness on this Sept.

She might, there's still some...and I think for the most part, this was bunk. there's been a lot of Resort Stuff, lately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom