Disney Dining Experience Changes

brkgnews

Allearsnet.com is reporting that CM's have contacted them, saying that the automatic 18 % gratuity is for DDE members only. But then she states that 2 different sources at Disney have confirmed it's for ALL table service, regardless of if you have the DDE or not. The site says they're looking into which is correct. :shrug:
I really don't see it having been only for DDE. If that were, indeed, the case, then that would be the most asinine thing I have ever heard of in my life... and I work for a radio company. See my original argument... I can pay $60-80 per year for a net discount of 2%? No chance in hell.

NewfieFan

^^^ Bingo!

This is a DISASTER!

One of the big draws for my wife and I on a WDW trip is the DDP, making the reservations and enjoying the excellent food and service. We have ALWAYS received great service and had wonderful food at the WDW restaurants we have visited. However, if they are trying to keep people "on property" through their dining then Disney is failing MISERABLY with this change.

This single action renders the DDP worthless. Why spend the same amount for the DDP when you can spend cash and have the selection of ANYTHING ANYWHERE without the limitations of choice on the DDP. I argue that you can avoid the DDP altogether and still eat the same food at the same locations for practically the same amount of money overall.

I am one of those rare individuals that believes and always has that tipping is an antiquated/outdated cultural dinosaur. Restaurants, indeed any business, should not expect me to subsidise their employees paycheck over and above the provided service/product. When you go to Kinko's and the assistant behind the counter takes your copy order and brings you the resulting copies do you feel you should give them a tip? When you get your oil changed at Jiffy Lube do you feel you should give them a tip? When you pick up your dry cleaning do you feel you should give them a tip? Why not? Please don't misunderstand me, I am not against the concept of tipping itself. Indeed, I am more than happy to tip if the service was above and beyond. However, I am against the inherent, automatic understanding we have in our culture that when it comes to food in a restaurant, we should give the server something over and above the cost of the food. People always say to me, "But Alan, servers don't make enough with their salary alone. They rely on tips to make up the rest." Do you not see the error inherent in this statement? "don't make enough with THEIR SALARY". The restaurant should be paying their servers salary... not me. "But that would mean they would have to raise the prices on the food", you say. Well, if your FORCED to pay 18% but the food is 18% cheaper then you are paying it ANYWAY! So what's the difference? Restaurant businesses are simply milking this old cultural idiocy so they don't have to pay their servers as much Is this not clear to us all? But then these business can fall back on the concept. Why pay more when the suckers coming in the door will pay the rest of their salary costs for them because of some outdated, ingrained foolishness?

Clearly the reason they arn't simply adding the additional gratuity into the cost of the food is for the same reason that stores sell products for 12.99 instead of 13.00. Because, psychologically you think of 12.99 as 12 not 13 even though it is a mere .01 cent away. "$24.99 plus gratuity" seems much better than "$29.49" when they are the same thing.

The reservations issue is easily solved by requiring a credit card and charging a "service fee" if you don't show for the ressie.

As for the idea that getting a tip or not will result in a level of service, I say that good service comes from proper management of people and paying them appropriately in the first place not by relying on tips. If you have a server under your charge that is giving poor service, then your job as their manager is to correct their behavior or fire them. It's that simple. I don't know about you but I have been to great McDonalds with excellent service and I have been to crappy ones with horrible service and they are being paid approximately the same at both. Management is key critical to the success of any service oriented business.

First they take the Appetizer, then they start this foolishness over the Gratuity. The only thing this change will accomplish is to put dining in wonderful settings with great food out of the reach of more Disney park goers. Shame on you Disney!

Amen!!! I agree totally! I'm not saying servers do not deserve tips but if they deserve them then so do a lot of other hard working people in the service industry. I worked my behind off in a coffee shop when I was in University and never got a tip (well I lied, some people did leave a nickel or dime - it usually added up to around a $1 by the time my shift was over). Why does someone in a restaurant deserve a tip but someone in a coffee does not!?! And yes, I've worked in restaurants as well! I've worked just as hard (if not harder) in my other low-paying jobs as I did in when I worked in a restaurant! But this is not a discussion about whether or not tips should be given, it is about making the tips mandatory. (Although we can't help but bring it up when the idea is forced on us)!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes I know, didn't I just say that? Sorry but I feel you are taking me the wrong way. I said if they don't take the child out of the restaurant to solve the problem then it is their fault. All I meant was that you can't teach an infant how to behave in a restaurant so them starting to cry does not mean the parent is a bad parent. But the parent is at fault when they don't solve the situation.

Yes, you guys are saying the same thing.

Crying infant + conscientous parents= take crying kid out of restaurant. :lol:
See this is why I should slow down when I read. We are on the same page.:wave:

NX2I85

I know what this means for me...
1) Fewer TS meals (because I resent the idea of automatic tips)
2) 18% cap on tips when I do eat TS (sad for some CMs, because I usually tip 25% if the service merits it, but I refuse to go over that if it's prefigured)

The upside is that we usually take 5-6 day trips an don't mind eating CS for that length of time.

DVC Mike

I can pay $60-80 per year for a net discount of 2%? No chance in hell.

It's only a net discount of 2% if you don't leave any tip at all when you dine without the DDE card.

Using the DDE still makes great sense -- you still save 20% of the cost of your meal - drinks included.

I usually leave a 20% tip, so the change will save me an additional 2% over my original savings.

DVC Mike

I bet the DDE team is going to feel the heat for their poorly worded communique -- I guess they didn't think how it might be interpreted and that it would go beyond DDE card holders.

The boards have been buzzing all day over this one email, and I'm sure the phone lines to Disney dining were busy too. The CM's on the dining line may not have even known about the DDE email!

DisneyJoe

I really don't see it having been only for DDE. If that were, indeed, the case, then that would be the most asinine thing I have ever heard of in my life... and I work for a radio company. See my original argument... I can pay $60-80 per year for a net discount of 2%? No chance in hell.

I used DDE back in 2005 - and for every meal that I used it with, I tipped 18%-20% for a net discount of 2% to 0%. I thought it was great - loved it - even used it on 2 trips that year.

Would I do it again today - YES - why? Its still saving me money, as I tip that much anyway.

Do I like being told I have to do something? Not especially, but I'm not going to cry over it - as it is still a discount!

Matpez

I just renewed the DDE a couple weeks ago... I wish had known this was coming. I guess the DDE will still be worth it if this includes all meals, meaning we pay it DDE or not.

brkgnews

I bet the DDE team is going to feel the heat for their poorly worded communique -- I guess they didn't think how it might be interpreted and that it would go beyond DDE card holders.

The boards have been buzzing all day over this one email, and I'm sure the phone lines to Disney dining were busy too. The CM's on the dining line may not have even known about the DDE email!
Most definitely. I'm pretty sure Mickey's PR Army wanted to release the news with a properly sanitized sidebar about "in an effort to make dining easier and more convenient for our guests," and so forth. Add in a little hogwash about not having to do math on vacation, blah blah blah, give it some kind of clever little name like "ticket tag" got, and then brainwash us into thinking it was awesome by telling us DDE gives us the option of "prepaying our gratuity" for the first few meals, while potentially saving money in the future.

I really like that 9% idea someone put out. But you know what I've seen before at other places and really liked? A print-out on the original check that (underneath the regular old ____ for the tip amount) shows "10% gratuity = $4.00 | 15% gratuity = $6.00 | 20% gratuity = $8.00" That gently nudges the customer in the right direction while still giving them a choice. And I'd be willing to bet THAT choice wouldn't have led to a soon-to-be 20-page thread. :lol:

DDE may still be a good deal -- it just seems... dirty ... now. I know it's just perception versus reality. Yes, I normally tip WAAAAAY more than 18%. But it's the difference between being drafted for military service, and volunteering yourself for military service.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
One other side of this issue that hasn't been touched on or probably not thought of by most dining service CM's is that now ALL tips will be on the books.

I don't want to get into the legalities or obligations or whatever about fully claiming all tips for income tax purposes, but everyone I know that is or was a server is "somewhat conservative" in what they report. With this new format, that will no longer be possible, so Uncle Sam will be thanking Mouse Management as well.

Trishnh

I came here as soon as I read my email..I think this is total crap. You should never be forced to pay a gratuity!! As a family of 6 we are often forced to pay it and it annoys me to death--especially since 4 of the 6 are kids and often share meals, we have even had sleeping children not eating and still had the gratuity for '6 or more' added to our bill -Insane! Overall, I am a good tipper and usually leave 20+% for good/great service..But if service is lousy it goes way down. I especially dont think you should be forced to pay 18% on a buffet. I have a feeling Disney is going to get a lot of negative communication on this one...:fork:

bigtotoro

I would feel much better about this arguement if I thought the majority would be more inclined to tip OVER 18%. However, having many connections to the service industry, I know how disgracefully cheap many people are in regards to tipping. 18%+ is standard is standard at any decent restaurant, quit your whining.

bigtotoro

I came here as soon as I read my email..I think this is total crap. You should never be forced to pay a gratuity!! As a family of 6 we are often forced to pay it and it annoys me to death--especially since 4 of the 6 are kids and often share meals, we have even had sleeping children not eating and still had the gratuity for '6 or more' added to our bill -Insane! Overall, I am a good tipper and usually leave 20+% for good/great service..But if service is lousy it goes way down. I especially dont think you should be forced to pay 18% on a buffet. I have a feeling Disney is going to get a lot of negative communication on this one...:fork:
It doesn't matter what they are eating, there are six of you. And children are just as, if not more taxing on a server.

JimboJones123

After giving this some lengthy thought today and giving it time to grow on me, I'm now ready to confirm my original gut reaction. This blows hardcore. And here's why...

First things first, it reeks of them trying to coerce people into paying for the Disney Dining Experience card... "Your dinner bill will be 18% more next year, but you can save 20% by paying $60-80 for this card." In actuality, the net effect of having DDE will be a 2% discount over what we should be paying... and even THAT is after you make up the cost of the card itself. Up until this morning I was considering the DDE card... the PI discount was the only thing tipping the scales in my direction, but this new info has dropped a ten pound lead weight on the other end of the scales.

In all honesty, I don't see this as being good for the CM. Here's why. Yes, they might end up getting a bit more cash in the long run... but I'm willing to bet that a lot of people like me (who typically tip more than 18%) will now tip only the minimum required amount because it was "forced" on them. I may be totally worong, but I believe this will eventually outweigh those who wouldn't have tipped much prior to the rule. I'm further concerned that this will put some "mediocre" CMs jobs in jeopardy. In the past, folks who got bad service might just have left a modest (or even low) tip and walked away. Now, since they're forced into tipping a certain amount, they're going to raise Holy Hell with the manager over the least little thing. I can't see that as being a "positivie" for the CM.

Finally, this just looks greedy. Plain and simple. People already gripe about the price of food at Disney. Adding on 18% to it sure isn't going to help matters. There's a difference between what you are CHARGED and what you VOLUNTARILY pay. If I go to a restaurant, pay with "round number," and the server says "I'll be right back with your change," I'll usually let them keep it. If one asks "did you need any change?" then I want it ALL back so I can meter it out. I actually had a waitrees at a restaurant (not Disney) ask me if I wanted change from my $50 bill for a $20 meal. It's all about being volunteered versus being drafted.

I know Mickey's crew reads the boards. So I can't make it any simpler...

I understand the concern for the staff (or was this something they were up in arms for and it was done as a labor move?) -- but this is BAD PR for the mouse.

My anger comes when I'm due back $14.11 and I get back the $14, but they don't give me the 11 cents. I generally leave 25-30% if it's good service, but if they "ASSUME" that the 11 cents is something that I don't deserve to get back and count that as part of their tip, they can concider that their ENTIRE tip. NO IFs ANDs OR BUTs. Enjoy that 11 cents. I would have given you the $10 on my $45 tab, but you now get that 11 cents.

Matpez

I would feel much better about this arguement if I thought the majority would be more inclined to tip OVER 18%. However, having many connections to the service industry, I know how disgracefully cheap many people are in regards to tipping. 18%+ is standard is standard at any decent restaurant, quit your whining.
I think you missed something though... many of us are saying that even with the DDE 20% discount we would tip the discount and even more back to our server... but now that we feel a tip being FORCED on us, they will be happy with th 18%.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I thought this was interesting. Here is the Merriam Webster definition of the word gratuity:

something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service

Are they going to start calling it something else when it is no longer voluntary? :shrug:

brkgnews

Ooh -- another good trick... only give me large bills in my change so I look like an a-hole if I ask for one of them to be converted into singles. One of the many many reasons I dump all dining onto my debit or credit card.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom