Disney Dining Experience Changes

KingStefan

So why should I have to pay for their stupidity/ignorance..

Oh - let's be tolerant. It's a cultural difference, not stupidity. And though it is technically ignorance, I get why it's hard for them to understand. I lived in France for three years, and I got used to their way, and when I came back here, I HATED tipping - it seemed like I was giving away money that I shouldn't have to. When it's on the bill, you don't think about it as much.

... Now if I receive bad service, my only recourse is to argue with the restaurant manager...

That's true. And that's the worst part. I agree.

... Also, why should I be paying an 18% tip at a buffet, that's just absurd because they in no way do as much work as someone at a regular restaurant.

Yes, I forgot about that. I usually tip less for buffet, but it depends on what the servers do. If they are constantly there filling up my water, pouring my drink, and never is there a dirty plate on the table when I return from the buffet, and I have clean silverware when I need it without asking, and my napkin is always refolded, etc., I'll tip 15% rounded up, so in that case, 18% wouldn't be too, too bad.

But from my experience at WDW restaurants, the buffet servers are very nice and all, but they give them too many tables, and they really can't keep up. A recent exception was Gulliver's at the Dolphin - excellent service - but then again, the restaurant was underattended that night because of really strong t-storms, and it's not really a WDW restaurant, is it - it's a Westin.

So I've got to agree with you there as well. If they're going to charge 18% for buffet, they better put more servers on.

Laura

Premium Member
I just would like to see Disney go back to the old days - no dining plan, no automatic tips, no crazy 180 days advanced reservations. How nice it would be to book with a days notice - or even a walk up!

As it currently is, since the dining plan introduction, menus have shrunk, quality has declined, restaurants are rediculously crowded, and booking reservations has become a sometimes impossible chore, and not at all fun.

Amen! :sohappy:

I just got home and read the email and was thinking - if they are automatically adding tax and tips to full service bills, why not just include those things right in the prices? For example, instead of saying Liberty Tree Tavern is $26.99 (or whatever) plus tax and tip, why not just say it's $34 to make things easier?

AndyP

I just got home and read the email and was thinking - if they are automatically adding tax and tips to full service bills, why not just include those things right in the prices? For example, instead of saying Liberty Tree Tavern is $26.99 (or whatever) plus tax and tip, why not just say it's $34 to make things easier?

Even if it just seems cheaper, and isn't, more people will be willing to buy.

Phonedave

Eh,

Why not throw my two cents in for what thats worth.

Just some opinions and observations

1) Dining has been going downhill, both in quality/variety and in availability. I put the majority of the fault squarely on the shoulders of the Disney Dining Plan

2) In a normal situation with good service, I tip OVER 20%, and on the original amount, not of the amount with my DDE discount. I have also tipped less than 18%

3) Alcohol I tip differently. If it's just some drinks or a glass of wine, maybe 10% of that. If its lots of overpriced drinks, not so much. If it is "involved" alcohol presentations, I may give a full tip on the amount. For example I tipped a full 20% on the wine pairing at V&A - why, becuase of the effort my server put into explaining them, pouring them, and talking to me about them.

4) In my experence (which does NOT include all 50 states) if there is a gratuity added to the bill, you can choose not to pay it. You may have to take it up with the manager, but I cannot imagine a situation where a person says they have a valid reason for not paying an 18% tip, and the manager would force them to pay. You have just lost that customer and most likely the 10-20 people they tell about it as well.

5) I can understand this from a standpoint of people from other countries not being familar with tipping, and wait staff getting shorted.

Again, I blame the DDP- its nice to have a scapegoat :)

-dave

Shere_Khan

4) In my experence (which does NOT include all 50 states) if there is a gratuity added to the bill, you can choose not to pay it. You may have to take it up with the manager, but I cannot imagine a situation where a person says they have a valid reason for not paying an 18% tip, and the manager would force them to pay. You have just lost that customer and most likely the 10-20 people they tell about it as well.

And the 10-20 people in the restaurant who hear the both of you argueing.

NewfieFan

Two things: I agree with you, I too will have to become 'more intolerant' of poor service, instead of letting my tip do the talking. Secondly, please tell me WHERE you found restaurants off Disney property without screaming children? Because I can't find ANY. Applebee's and Chili's up on 27, a few miles West of Animal Kingdom: always seated near a screaming kid. Olive Garden by I-Drive: always surrounded by whiny children who throw things. Same goes for any restaurant I go to on 192. I have to drive to my friend's house in Tampa to find food in a child-free zone.

Wow!:eek: Maybe I shouldn't take my kids to WDW, they might upset somebody!?! I'm a mom and I do not like listening to other's people's kids scream too but seriously it's WDW! I'm pretty sure the place was built for families and their children. So if you don't like screaming, whiny, etc. children then maybe you picked the wrong place to visit. I try to keep my kids under control while they are in public places. I also make sure my kids are kept on some sort of schedule when we're on vacation so that they're not starved or too tired by the time we sit down and eat. But not all parents do this and I don't blame them for it. Some people only go to Disney once in awhile and they run themselves (and their children) ragged trying to see and do everything. Is this the right approach to a Disney vacation? I'm not going to say if it's right or not but it happens. End result - children who are starved, tired, overstimulated, etc. sitting in restaurants with parents who are probably to tired to deal with them anyway. Frankly, I don't mind the crazy kids - they make mine look like angels!:animwink:

So, back on topic here...

I think the mandatory 18% is a bit much! Don't get me wrong, I like to tip and tip well when service is excellent but it should never be made mandatory. I'm glad that the servers will not be losing out now (with the new changes to the DDP) but I still do not like it being forced upon us!

chosebintruc

Anyone knows if this apply only to the table service restaurant or it applies also to the counter service restaurant (which I believe is a completely stupid idea!!)!

Thanks!

David

mousefan1972

Wow!:eek: Maybe I shouldn't take my kids to WDW, they might upset somebody!?! I'm a mom and I do not like listening to other's people's kids scream too but seriously it's WDW! I'm pretty sure the place was built for families and their children. So if you don't like screaming, whiny, etc. children then maybe you picked the wrong place to visit. I try to keep my kids under control while they are in public places. I also make sure my kids are kept on some sort of schedule when we're on vacation so that they're not starved or too tired by the time we sit down and eat. But not all parents do this and I don't blame them for it. Some people only go to Disney once in awhile and they run themselves (and their children) ragged trying to see and do everything. Is this the right approach to a Disney vacation? I'm not going to say if it's right or not but it happens. End result - children who are starved, tired, overstimulated, etc. sitting in restaurants with parents who are probably to tired to deal with them anyway. Frankly, I don't mind the crazy kids - they make mine look like angels!:animwink:

When I read the post you quoted, I thought to myself "she doesn't have kids" and smirked and kept reading. But I had to comment on your reply: perfect! :animwink:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Actually this will end up saving me a little bit of money. I am a DDE member and as a general rule I would tip the 20% discount and in many cases round up to the nearest dollar. Now that Disney has decided to make an 18% tip mandatory that is all they will get from me with 1 possible exception. This will shave about 2%-3% off of my final dinning bill.

But just for the record I still think this change sucks big time. With this change the servers have no motivation, save their own work ethic, to provide good service. Service will decline, guests will be upset and the dinning at Disney will eventually be reduced back to the cardboard pizzas of the 70's.

Pecos Bill's for lunch anyone?

JimboJones123

Goofy's Kitchen at DL already includes tip in the price, I believe it also includes the tax. Not for sure though.

shoppingnut

So if you don't like screaming, whiny, etc. children then maybe you picked the wrong place to visit. I try to keep my kids under control while they are in public places.

No I didn't pick the wrong place to visit, I have every right to dislike screaming kids while dining, but I choose to do something about it, like eat at the higher end restaurants like Citrocos, Yachtsman or go off property. Problem solved for me.

You are one of the few and far between that keeps the kids under control then, because most people don't. They don't teach their kids the difference from eating at home and eating in a restaurant.

Shere_Khan

No I didn't pick the wrong place to visit, I have every right to dislike screaming kids while dining, but I choose to do something about it, like eat at the higher end restaurants like Citrocos, Yachtsman or go off property. Problem solved for me.

You are one of the few and far between that keeps the kids under control then, because most people don't. They don't teach their kids the difference from eating at home and eating in a restaurant.

I don't like screaming kids either but if it is in the case of an infant up to 2 or 3 years old, I don't really feel that is the parent's fault if their child is crying.
I also don't feel that people with infants should be excluded from enjoying a nice meal. I suppose they could get a sitter, but on vacation that is not always an option.
But your right, the higher end or offsite restaurants are more likely to not have alot of small children. It is probably the best way to go if that is something that really bugs you.

adamcav

Dining Plan

How will this work with the regular dining plan?

It is essentially reverting the decision to get rid of the tip in the first place?

I mean, ... lets say I eat at a table service place, is the tip just absorbed? They wouldn't make me just pay cash for that 18% would they (that would stink)? Does anyone see them raising the price of the dining plan at this point because of this gratuity news?

typhoon22

I almost always tip 20% on the total bill, the after tax and including alcohol total. In the past, if I received slow or poor service, I would speak to the manager anyway. So, this will not really change much for me. :shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't like screaming kids either but if it is in the case of an infant up to 2 or 3 years old, I don't really feel that is the parent's fault if their child is crying.
I also don't feel that people with infants should be excluded from enjoying a nice meal. I suppose they could get a sitter, but on vacation that is not always an option.
But your right, the higher end or offsite restaurants are more likely to not have alot of small children. It is probably the best way to go if that is something that really bugs you.
There is a correct way for the parent to handle a screaming infant. Sadly though, most people think only of themselves and nothing of the comfort of others around them. As a parent to have to be willing to sacrifice pretty much everything for your child. This can also include a quiet dinner. Forcing others to endure a screaming child in a situation like a restaurant is disrespectful to those around you pure and simple.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom