Disney considering a new World Showcase pavilion BY REMOVING AN EXISTING COUNTRY?!?!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It's possible, if the survey is truly ongoing, that TDO is looking at which pavilions could use some love. Although, if they just took a stroll around the WS.....

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Lots of Morocco hate.

I for one love Morocco. The food is great... as is their adult beverages... :slurp::slurp:

Mo'Rockin > Off Kilter

:king:

As for Screamscape :rolleyes:

Alektronic

I think they should have just waited until Thursday to post this or they just misinterpreted the question, maybe it was which pavilion would like to see improved? (not removed)

Crazy Harry

I'm very suprized at the apparent consensus of dislike toward Morocco. I find the arcetecture to be unique relative to the other pavillions, the themeing emersive and superb, and the food is pretty good too IMO. When the wife and I were at the world last year, we ate at the Tangerine Cafe and declared it as the best meal we had in the parks, but I suppose it depends on what kind of food you like and not nessisarily the quality. But his is one of the few pavillions you can really explore rather than walk forward, look in a few shops, and turn around.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Morocco is the only representaive from Africa, so if it is removed, it should really be replaced with another African country.

I might have missed it, but why has no one suggested removing Canada? And this is in no offense to the country or the culture, but there is very little in that pavillion, and I would personally not miss it in its current state.

As far as what to add, I would love to see one of the following: Greece, Egypt, Brazil, Thailand, Venezuala, Kenya, India, or a middle eastern country like Saudi Arabia or Iran.

steener618

I certainly hope they do not remove any of the pavilions at WS but rather add a few. I like going "around the world" because each country is unique and have plenty to offer regardless of an "attraction" present or not.

As for adding a country, there are plenty to choose from.

Sweden, Switzerland, or Iceland anyone? :lookaroun

mcjaco

I'm doubting that actually happened. No discredit to Lance at Screamscape, he does an awesome site, but I believe this was something that was emailed in to him and is a joke. April Fools?

I don't think it's a joke. I think it's Lance taking some poor information and running with it. And then the community here overreacting over it.

They don't say anything about bulldozing a pavillion, only about "which one would you least miss."

montyz81

I'm very suprized at the apparent consensus of dislike toward Morocco. I find the arcetecture to be unique relative to the other pavillions, the themeing emersive and superb, and the food is pretty good too IMO. When the wife and I were at the world last year, we ate at the Tangerine Cafe and declared it as the best meal we had in the parks, but I suppose it depends on what kind of food you like and not nessisarily the quality. But his is one of the few pavillions you can really explore rather than walk forward, look in a few shops, and turn around.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Morocco is the only representaive from Africa, so if it is removed, it should really be replaced with another African country.

I might have missed it, but why has no one suggested removing Canada? And this is in no offense to the country or the culture, but there is very little in that pavillion, and I would personally not miss it in its current state.

As far as what to add, I would love to see one of the following: Greece, Egypt, Brazil, Thailand, Venezuala, Kenya, India, or a middle eastern country like Saudi Arabia or Iran.

One word... Le Cellier. If they removed Canada then the best steakhouse in Disney would have to go with it.

WDWFigment

Never going to happen. Disney understandably must appeal to the lowest common denominator in this regard, and there is too much prejudice towards the Middle East for it to be a practical business decision.

Alektronic

Never going to happen. Disney understandably must appeal to the lowest common denominator in this regard, and there is too much prejudice towards the Middle East for it to be a practical business decision.

I don't think it is political at all. It is all about the money, if Saudi Arabia gave Disney a boatload of cash to build it, it would get built.

Personally, I think they should get rid of World Showplace, it sits empty most of the time and it is a great spot for another country.

MAGICFLOP

I doubt Mexico will be touch, because it is always crowded and also they are doing a major rebuild of the Cantina.

I think they are interested in which pavilion people least like and will think of a way to improve it. They don't need a survey to tell this, they can follow the flow of crowds on their own and watch register receipts.

It is easier and cheaper to build on a plot than it is to renovate a country to a new one. Unless you are changing Germany to Austria.

Wilt Dasney

In fact, Sealand does have a princess. Princess Joan, formerly of Essex. Considering that she lives on a small concrete platform in the middle of the North Sea, I would imagine she gets pretty bored. So she just might be willing to fly the private helicopter down to Orlando for the occasional meet and greet.

Just imagine this right in the dead center of World Showcase, recreated in all its glory:

page2.jpg

:lol::lol:

I love it. If I ever get this survey, that's going to be my vote. You could make the pavilion the same size as the country it's based on!

I don't know if I'd say never. If World Showcase had been built in 1945, Germany and Japan might have seemed like pretty controversial cultures to "celebrate." Today nobody cares. Maybe in a few generations Iran will seem as benignly exotic as Japan. We can at least hope!

EthanK

I think they are interested in which pavilion people least like and will think of a way to improve it. They don't need a survey to tell this, they can follow the flow of crowds on their own and watch register receipts.

I thought about this too. But a crowd's going to be automatically bigger at a country that has an attraction (Norway, China) than one that only has shops and restaurants (Italy, Morocco). Plus many of the items are sold in multiple shops (foods, beverages, cameras, Disney-branded merchandise) so the reciepts wouldn't necessarily be indicative of that country's productivity.

Am I over thinking this? I'm new to the boards.

Testtrack321

I thought about this too. But a crowd's going to be automatically bigger at a country that has an attraction (Norway, China) than one that only has shops and restaurants (Italy, Morocco). Plus many of the items are sold in multiple shops (foods, beverages, cameras, Disney-branded merchandise) so the reciepts wouldn't necessarily be indicative of that country's productivity.

Am I over thinking this? I'm new to the boards.

Nope, it makes sense. People will always ride rides, people won't always go into a country to shop and eat unless they like it. I don't think I've BEEN in Morocco, China, or Germany in years...

WDWFigment

I don't think it is political at all. It is all about the money, if Saudi Arabia gave Disney a boatload of cash to build it, it would get built.

Personally, I think they should get rid of World Showplace, it sits empty most of the time and it is a great spot for another country.

I don't think it's political either (thus me saying that prejudice is too high for it to be a practical business decision). Even if Saudi Arabia gives Disney a boatload of cash, that boatload will be offset by the people who will not have anything to do with that pavilion out of ignorance, fear, hatred, or what have you. There are simply too many Americans who, at this point in time, blindly hate that area of the world.

I don't know if I'd say never. If World Showcase had been built in 1945, Germany and Japan might have seemed like pretty controversial cultures to "celebrate." Today nobody cares. Maybe in a few generations Iran will seem as benignly exotic as Japan. We can at least hope!

You are exactly right. Never was definitely much too strong of a word. In the immediate future, it isn't going to happen. In the distant future, as you've pointed out with the Germany and Japan examples, it certainly could happen.

71jason

Assuming WDW is really looking to re-theme a pavilion (an idiotic idea but one I can't outright dismiss like a lot of you), there would be p.r. issues with shutting down any of the pavillions whose host country supplies a lot of WDW tourists. Why UK, Canada and Japan would probably be safe despite none of the three being crowd favorites.

It does look like someone might be targeting Morocco and trying to cover their tracks (cough--"would you like to see Pleasure Island feature MORE shopping and dining opportunities?"--cough). It seems to me that Morocco is the easy consensus choice to cut if something has to go, even though I enjoy it personally.

misterID

There wouldn't be much of a p.r. issues because some of those countries aren't paying much to keep their pavillion's maintained anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom